Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Our boys are boards-twins :)

He is stretching out a bit, thankfully. It's not a solid feeding time from 2-6am anymore! I try to feed him a lot 10-midnight, then he wakes 3-4ish for a half hour feed, again at 5 or 6 for another half hour to hour feed, again at 9ish. Roughly those times anyway. I've probably jinxed it now and he'll be up all night! How is your guy?

You've my utmost respect, I'm doing OK but it is hard. Can't imagine a toddler in the mix! Although, I hope to find out in a few years time ;)
    How is your daughter taking up her little brother? Is she too young to know?

Ah That's sounds just great your doin wonderful!
    My little man is brilliant never a peep out of him same as one sister till she was two yr old.
    She changed the day he came home from hospital!!
    She was a brilliant sleeper
    Now is a disaster
    Refusing to go to bed
    Climbing out of cot - we got her a big bed won't stay in her room!!!

Screaming for hours on end if daddy is persistent to keep putting her back.

Waking up every night for hours usually just as I have baby settled!!
    Then waking her older sister!!!
    Has totally given up day time sleep too. Which I so looked forward to.
    And sees opportunity to get up to divilmemt when I'm stuck feeding.

U can't turn ur back she could have her fingers up his nose in his eye she was sharing cheese with him one day!

However the 4 yr old is good. But has also felt the "pressure" of new arrival.

It's all go but I hope it settles soon!! (very soon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

monflat wrote: »
    Ah That's sounds just great your doin wonderful!
    My little man is brilliant never a peep out of him same as one sister till she was two yr old.
    She changed the day he came home from hospital!!
    She was a brilliant sleeper
    Now is a disaster
    Refusing to go to bed
    Climbing out of cot - we got her a big bed won't stay in her room!!!

Screaming for hours on end if daddy is persistent to keep putting her back.

Waking up every night for hours usually just as I have baby settled!!
    Then waking her older sister!!!
    Has totally given up day time sleep too. Which I so looked forward to.
    And sees opportunity to get up to divilmemt when I'm stuck feeding.

U can't turn ur back she could have her fingers up his nose in his eye she was sharing cheese with him one day!

However the 4 yr old is good. But has also felt the "pressure" of new arrival.

It's all go but I hope it settles soon!! (very soon!)

I have have a toddler soon to turn 2 and she has been the exact same! Stopped sleeping, acting up, wanted back into her cot even though she slept in her bed untill Evie was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hello ladies, grabbing the chance to check on while I can! My little lady is 8 days old today and so cute. Still traumtised over the birth (spinal failed and needed to be knocked out) and due to my surgery phobia I still haven't been able to bring myself to look at the stitches or accept they are there. But I'm mad about my little critter and she is thriving. I have been able to breastfeed and at her one week check she was already over her birth weight so I finally have one part of my plan that went to plan lol. Feeling so blessed that she is healthy, that's all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Omg I can't imagine dealing with a toddler right now, in awe of those of you that are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

AW you sound so delighted with her, furbabymomma, it's lovely! Well done on the breast feeding, great that her weight is up again. With bf I still find it hard to be reassured my fella is getting enough, paranoia! even though he is turning into a proper chubster with gorgeous squishy cheeks! Sorry to hear the birth was trouble, you poor thing. it sounds like both you and her are doing very well now :) long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Well my little fella is 4 weeks old today, and it's just flown! He is starting to get a lot more alert now, opening his eyes and looking around. It's just adorable. :)

I don't need to weigh him to see if he's gaining weight - he feels heavier :) so I guess the bf is going well for the most part. He is constantly at me though!! He gets an occasional bottle of formula, and the last 2 weekends his dad has come and been on duty Friday night & Saturday. So he gets formula then too as I don't think I could possibly express enough!! :)

So the last 2 Saturday nights I've had really lovely nights out with my friends and have finally been able to blow off some steam - it was a long time coming!!! I feel great I must say - like a new woman. It is hard juggling the 2 but the older guy is making it easy, he is very patient! I'm not sure I could've coped with a toddler & a baby - I feel for you monflat!!
    I guess that I'm lucky in the sense that my ex is at least great for calling round and helping out.

It's great to hear how all the mammies are getting on :)

• Advertisement

FurBabyMomma sorry to hear you had to have a general as well as the added stress of a cs.
    Hope in time you will be able to deal with it.

Are you getting much help at home?

Karmella that's great you get some time to discuss things and help you to move on with your life.

I've had my first day out with baby today.
    Yes other than that I have been to doc twice. Not much me time at all!! Actually no me time!!!

I drove for first time too.
    However my wound is still not healed.
    I've had very poor Healing after all 3 sections despite me being healthy.

I registered his birth and had a takeaway coffee would loved to have sat in for a coffee but I had to get lunch supplies in tesco and b back to collect little one from playschool!!!

It's amazing how fast weeks are flying

Does anyone else think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Congrats furbabymomma, jelliebellie, and 73trix on your long awaited arrivals! Great to see that all mums on the thread have their little bundles of joy, and a few more girls!

Little man is 3 weeks today, and I can't imagine a time before him! Smiles have started and nothing brings me more joy than when I see his face light up! He was suffering terribly with trapped wind on aptamil. Truly felt awful for having to combine feed. I looking up one night if I had truly exhausted every way of trying to wind him as he was practically doubled over with pain, and found a few other mums who had this problem were on aptamil and switched to either hipp organic or cow and gate and saw quick improvement. Happy to say I switched to Hipp, and the wind seems to be coming up now! He's a happier baby which makes me a happy mama!

Great you got his wind issue sorted, sound tough on the poor wee guy.

Aw the smiles!! My fella gets these adorable smiling fits when he's nearly finished a feed, smiling away with the nipple in his mouth! Sometimes he does a little chuckle too. Whule he smiles randomly, we haven't got any smiles directed at us yet, I think it will melt my heart to see him actually smile at me. Should start in the next while I think.

A question for those whose babies came a bit early: mine was 3 weeks early, no issues. For monitoring his development, do I count just from his birth day or do I take into account that he was a bit early? Thanks. We don't have phn-type visitors here so it'll be another few weeks before his next paed appt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

A question for those whose babies came a bit early: mine was 3 weeks early, no issues. For monitoring his development, do I count just from his birth day or do I take into account that he was a bit early? Thanks. We don't have phn-type visitors here so it'll be another few weeks before his next paed appt.

I know that mine being two weeks late seems to be hitting some of the development marks for two weeks ahead of his birthday. I imagine that some developmental marks could be delayed as he was 3 weeks early, I notice some difference in my fella compared to my SIL who had her fella a week early.

• Advertisement

Thanks. That's interesting that your guy is a bit ahead, i didn't know it worked that way too. The directed smiles just got me thinking of it, as it'll be one of the milestones for him to hit from 6 - 8 weeks. I'm a bit of a worrier so don't want to be wondering if he is delayed and driving myself crazy unnecessarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

You guys are doing great well done!

Fionn was a week old yest. We got home on Monday. I had a section but getting better everyday fortunately. It is such a steep learning curve being a new parent but you learn quickly. We are totally smitten with the little chap and as others have said, impossible to imagine life without the little bundle . He has taken over completely, the house has been turned asunder and is the boss of us already! I am in awe of my other half who has become a natural and I get how you can feel even more love for your partner as you get on with Team Baby! Bathed him together last nite. Jaysus it requires military precision!

However, our problem now is that baby wants to feed NON stop and is not sleeping at nite AT ALL! We are exhausted. I know it could be a growth spurt already ( can happen between 1 and 3 wks and our lad was +1 week). I am struggling to keep up the Bfing as I do not get a break and am getting v little sleep. Everyone says sleep when baby sleeps etc but it would help if he SLEPT! I read that some of you are combined feeding. How did you make that decision. What ratio breast to formula? I really hope to bf at least a couple months. I am not getting sore nipples so not the issue, just that I get no break at all. Sigh....

73trix wrote: »
    You guys are doing great well done!

Fionn was a week old yest. We got home on Monday. I had a section but getting better everyday fortunately. It is such a steep learning curve being a new parent but you learn quickly. We are totally smitten with the little chap and as others have said, impossible to imagine life without the little bundle . He has taken over completely, the house has been turned asunder and is the boss of us already! I am in awe of my other half who has become a natural and I get how you can feel even more love for your partner as you get on with Team Baby! Bathed him together last nite. Jaysus it requires military precision!

However, our problem now is that baby wants to feed NON stop and is not sleeping at nite AT ALL! We are exhausted. I know it could be a growth spurt already ( can happen between 1 and 3 wks and our lad was +1 week). I am struggling to keep up the Bfing as I do not get a break and am getting v little sleep. Everyone says sleep when baby sleeps etc but it would help if he SLEPT! I read that some of you are combined feeding. How did you make that decision. What ratio breast to formula? I really hope to bf at least a couple months. I am not getting sore nipples so not the issue, just that I get no break at all. Sigh....

Ah congrats to you that's a great name fionn.

Just from my experience all babies are different thou Could you be confusing tired signs for hunger

Once he's fed nappy changedt he has that drunken look about him take it that he is finished so swaddle him and put him down.
    He may fuss about a bit and whinge and then go asleep.
    Try that
    If he continues to fuss he may need more.
    It's hard at the early days but if you just go to bed with baby if you have not already.
    Can you feed lying down? Which I found great for a section and even to rest

By lying beside him your milk increases greatly I have found this to be brilliant

My first was similar I know where you are coming from!

When he feeds how long after that is he awake for?

I used to feed him lying down during nite, especially in early days after section as encouraged by nurses but last nite neither my OH or I could stay awake so I got nervous about falling asleep with him in bed. I heard a v tragic story recently of a local baby only a few mths old who died while in bed with his mother. Terrified me tbh. Still can't stop thinking about it. So only when I am WIDE awake will I do that so not during the nite.

He falls asleep after feeds, we put him down, invariably he sleeps for 10 - 1 5mins and then wide awake whinging and if we leave him at all gets v upset v quickly so we take him up and do the usual checks - wind/nappy/ warm enough/ more feed needed. In the end he goes back on boob which calms him and the cycle continues. He sleeps better during the day but nites are a disaster. Wondering now if he finds it too quiet at nite as during the day we keep noise levels normal. Does he find it too quiet and fret if doesn't hear our voices? He had 4 nites in hospital in constant noise too. We tried leaving a radio on in bedroom down low but maybe need to turn up volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

my fella was the same, sleep all day and breast all night, just his body clock back to front, he is four weeks old tomorrow and started sleeping for a few hours at night then feeding and back down for 3-4 hours again
    i have introduced formula into the mix now 3 or 4 bottles a day, he gulps that down and gets very windy every ounce

I used to feed him lying down during nite, especially in early days after section as encouraged by nurses but last nite neither my OH or I could stay awake so I got nervous about falling asleep with him in bed. I heard a v tragic story recently of a local baby only a few mths old who died while in bed with his mother. Terrified me tbh. Still can't stop thinking about it. So only when I am WIDE awake will I do that so not during the nite.

He falls asleep after feeds, we put him down, invariably he sleeps for 10 - 1 5mins and then wide awake whinging and if we leave him at all gets v upset v quickly so we take him up and do the usual checks - wind/nappy/ warm enough/ more feed needed. In the end he goes back on boob which calms him and the cycle continues. He sleeps better during the day but nites are a disaster. Wondering now if he finds it too quiet at nite as during the day we keep noise levels normal. Does he find it too quiet and fret if doesn't hear our voices? He had 4 nites in hospital in constant noise too. We tried leaving a radio on in bedroom down low but maybe need to turn up volume.

It would be no harm to put a radio on we went through that phase with this little Lad
    Your milk is better at night time also so possibly he needs to feed extra.
    How often is he feeding throughout the day?
    Also I'd sneak in a few extra feeds if he tolerates them.

It's tough goin absolutely.
    It will pass however it seems endless at the moment.

Do you swaddle?
    Also would you try the laid back position nursing him at night
    Then slink down in the bed and get your OH to position him in moses etc

What worked for me was husband slept in spare bed.
    I fed him lying down and he lay on a blanket where I gently pulled the blanket with him on it over to the other side of the bed to give him space and me space when I really needed to sleep.

That's only an idea I did. It worked great for second child she never woke.
    However it may work when he a bit older.

It's tough but at this age all they want is skin to skin.

Also if you worried about him not getting enough try fenugreek seeds and make a tea from them it works great for increasing your supply

my fella was the same, sleep all day and breast all night, just his body clock back to front, he is four weeks old tomorrow and started sleeping for a few hours at night then feeding and back down for 3-4 hours again
    i have introduced formula into the mix now 3 or 4 bottles a day, he gulps that down and gets very windy every ounce

When did it improve? When did your fella sleep 3 hrs a nite?

When did it improve? When did your fella sleep 3 hrs a nite?

only in the last week
    must have been a growth spurt

My first was 16 weeks
    My second was 4 weeks approx
    Third was about 3 weeks

It's so hard to enjoy those early weeks as it's tough goin.

However if you feel you need to get you oh to give formula is to give you a break you do that.

However I would give it after he feeds as you want to be careful of a blocked duct or even worse mastitis

I have a blocked duct at the moment....

only in the last week
    must have been a growth spurt

saying that he has slept most of the day today so tonight should be fun

• Advertisement

saying that he has slept most of the day today so tonight should be fun

I found that thou yesterday and today but if he doesn't cluster feed in the evening he will do it at night 12- 4am.

So i found that if I encourage cluster feeding and he might stretch out a bit in the early hours.

But it's trial and error thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

My fella (4 weeks) is cluster feeding between 10 pm and 2 am. Ah who am I kidding - it's most of the night really! He just gets so upset and pulls up off the boob screaming, but sometimes he has a good fart or poo and settles down then. His little belly just seems bloated all the time.

73trix I got a white noise app for my phone, not sure if it makes any difference but it's some bit of noise for him, don't think he likes silence - or the dark!!

I generally only give him a bottle at night unless his dad is minding him, then he might go through 3 4oz bottles overnight. But he doesn't finish them usually and invariable pukes a good bit of them. He's refluxy anyway so puking is not unusual.

My guy was similar for the first couple of weeks, awake from 1-2am till 6ish, feeding for 10 mins, off a few min, back feeding again etc. I was wrecked! I feel your pain. But it did get better. I tried feeding him more in late evening/night, just sit on couch and feed from 8 until I went to bed around 11. Seemed to stretch him out a bit. He still wakes a couple of times a night, but just for about 20 then back to sleep. He had a few days where he was feeding constantly but they don't last long, so far anyway. A mid wife friend told me that feeding at night is really good for boosting your supply, so i don't want to ditch it yet for that reason too. It gets better and ye are obviously doing great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

So I finally got around to making my GP 2 week check up as we were later in hospital and I was in the waiting room full with people coughing and sneezing for 45 minutes due to delay for flu vaccinations, after 45 minutes I stood up and told receptionist I'd reschedule as I was worried he would catch a cold, I just think with Joshua being so young and exposed to all those germs was disgraceful and that we should have been seen sooner but apparently not.

Am I over reacting or would any of you ladies agree?
    X

pastry2010 wrote: »
    So I finally got around to making my GP 2 week check up as we were later in hospital and I was in the waiting room full with people coughing and sneezing for 45 minutes due to delay for flu vaccinations, after 45 minutes I stood up and told receptionist I'd reschedule as I was worried he would catch a cold, I just think with Joshua being so young and exposed to all those germs was disgraceful and that we should have been seen sooner but apparently not.

X

Totally agree. Their poor little immune systems are so underdeveloped and then all of a sudden you're forced to put him in that environment for so long? Unacceptable!

Just read back through the last few pages of the thread, have all our lives changed overnight or what?! :)

Not overreacting IMO. Some places here have 'well child' waiting areas or days, which is a great idea. Perhaps get the first appt of the day, might help.

pastry2010 wrote: »

X

Typical of the Irish healthcare system

Nothing proactive being done there to help
    Your concern.
    Terrible really!

Hi ladies, how are ye getting on with your post-baby bodies? Hope everything is healing well and ye are getting back to normal. I'm healed at this stage but still have one hell of a loose flabby belly :( bf isn't doing anything to shift it. Tried on some of my old jeans a few days ago and was not happy :( had a quick run around the shops and got some stretchy jeans in h&m. Need the stretch for the belly! Up a size from normal too. Finding it hard for my old clothes to fit the bigger boobs too. This new body is hassle! Any tips for getting rid of the belly?

9 months on.at least 9 months to get the belly off .

unfortunately I have not had an hour to myself to think let alone an hour to go for a walk yet!

It will go with exercise don't worry.
    I worked hard after first n second and there Was no problem.

However I'm not goin to put too much pressure on myself.
    I find if I go off exercising my milk supply decreases. Then baby gets unsettled thus making things even harder.

I feel I have the rest of my life to loose the few pounds as this is my last baby I'm goin to enjoy every minute of him being young.
    Time just goes by too quickly.

I went to gym and focused on weights mainly and core exercises on the ball and I toned up no problem. That's what I found the best as the strengthing exercises help with weight loss toning and builds strength.

• Advertisement

I'm 2 weeks after my section, 17lbs gone and 18lbs to go. I'm itching to get back to exercise but know I have to take it easy. I plan to be back walking the dogs after my 6 week check up and take up an exercise class after 3 months when I'm fully recovered - New Year, new me ;)

Today is the first day I put on something other than pjs and all that fits are my trusty tracksuit bottoms. Trying to figure how to manage transitional clothes for bf without having to buy a whole new wardrobe!!!

Advertisement