Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yes, stretchy jeans are a must!!

I found that after my first pregnancy my body was never the same. I couldn't wear any of my old jeans. I used to wear low-ish cut / hipster style and after baby I just had an unsightly belly flap. So I switched to a higher waist cut which kinda held in or hid the flab. Never really got rid of it, but I didn't try awfully hard by doing tummy crunches or anything like that.

However this time as it's my last pregnancy I'm going to make more of an effort to get into and stay in shape :)

However don't put pressure on yourself - you're only 6 or so weeks in and it will take time to do the necessary core exercises to flatten your belly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Karmella wrote: »
    Yes, stretchy jeans are a must!!

I found that after my first pregnancy my body was never the same. I couldn't wear any of my old jeans. I used to wear low-ish cut / hipster style and after baby I just had an unsightly belly flap. So I switched to a higher waist cut which kinda held in or hid the flab. Never really got rid of it, but I didn't try awfully hard by doing tummy crunches or anything like that.

However this time as it's my last pregnancy I'm going to make more of an effort to get into and stay in shape :)

However don't put pressure on yourself - you're only 6 or so weeks in and it will take time to do the necessary core exercises to flatten your belly. :)

12 days post section so couldn't contemplate exercise yet! Still in my mat legging s..so comfy and now that winters coming I have a couple pre pregnancy dresses with empire type/ no waist which are handy too. Haven't dreamt of trying old jeans with section wound...yikes! Take it easy tho. It's only 6 wks. Swimming?

Change of subject - this might be more for the new mammies but how are you adapting as a couple? I am finding it hard sometimes that there is v little couple time. I know it's early days but we haven't even shared a bed in over 2 wks - between me a week in hospital and over a week at home. We take turns going to bed. We don't hardly manage to sit together on the sofa as one of us tending to baby. I know that we are both so pre occupied with baby. It just hit me yest that we have hardly shared a hug since baby home. How are the rest of you adjusting? It seems to have just happened and to nobody's fault but I don't want to lose sight of us as a couple. I'm not not talking hot n heavy as far too soon for that but we were always very into cuddles and snuggling up on the couch, holding hands etc. It's odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

73trix wrote: »
    Change of subject - this might be more for the new mammies but how are you adapting as a couple? I am finding it hard sometimes that there is v little couple time. I know it's early days but we haven't even shared a bed in over 2 wks - between me a week in hospital and over a week at home. We take turns going to bed. We don't hardly manage to sit together on the sofa as one of us tending to baby. I know that we are both so pre occupied with baby. It just hit me yest that we have hardly shared a hug since baby home. How are the rest of you adjusting? It seems to have just happened and to nobody's fault but I don't want to lose sight of us as a couple. I'm not not talking hot n heavy as far too soon for that but we were always very into cuddles and snuggling up on the couch, holding hands etc. It's odd.

My husband has been sleeping in the spare room since baby arrived 10weeks ago. It's our third so we knew what to expect and it's just easier this way. It does come back believe me ( or we would only have one child) but babies turn everything upside down!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Myself and my husband are still in the same bed but both of us are deffo more sleep deprived than normal!!! Due to my section for the first 2 weeks when she woke at night he would get up and change her nappy, pass her to me for a feed and go back to sleep. However now I'm taking it all over at night as 2 days a week he works away from home in Dublin and I'm terrified he'll be so tired he'll fall asleep at the wheel. Am going to ask him to sleep in the spare room those nights but knowing him he'll resist!

Deffo less time as a couple but we're not following the 'sleep when the baby sleeps' advice that well so are doing things like putting her to bed in the evening and lying on our own bed beside her watching TV on the laptop - some nice down time together plus we can keep an eye on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I found this the hardest when I had my first your time is never your own from now on and yes I did miss that time we had as Couple.

I find it hard now on no 3. No adult company throughout the day when he comes home we put other two to bed he
    We have dinner in relays and I'm in bed by 9
    There's no time for talking as there is either a 4 yr old or a 2 yr old looking for attention.I see him of a sunday!!
    However I'm hopping mad as my birthday is on the bank holiday weekend comin and he has to work it all
    I thought at least we could get out without the older 2. But unfortunately not and I'm so tired the suggestion of going out after 9pm is just mad.

.it' is tough on a relationship though when children are involved and your time is taken up so much with them.
    I think you have to consciously make a big effort thou.
    He's been in the spare room too and I'm feeding baby in our bed.

It does all improve thou!

Deffo less time as a couple but we're not following the 'sleep when the baby sleeps' advice that well so are doing things like putting her to bed in the evening and lying on our own bed beside her watching TV on the laptop - some nice down time together plus we can keep an eye on her.[/quote]

Wow. That's great. I had to do the sleep when baby sleeps to stay sane so don't know if that will work. Can't have it both ways I guess. Couple time on hold!

The way I find it is if I'm severely sleep deprived there's no point in the two of us being tired and arguing at each other.
    However my husband could sleep on a hens forehead so if we do sit down he's asleep!!!

It's maybe a good trait it takes me a lot longer to wind down!!!

73 trix how's you baby is he more settled now?

monflat wrote: »
    The way I find it is if I'm severely sleep deprived there's no point in the two of us being tired and arguing at each other.
    However my husband could sleep on a hens forehead so if we do sit down he's asleep!!!

It's maybe a good trait it takes me a lot longer to wind down!!!

73 trix how's you baby is he more settled now?

I know. I feel I'm a bit grumpy at times with OH. Maybe I'm missing the attention. You go from the the one and only and then in pregnancy so minded and then baby is number one and you're doing your best to adjust to parenthood while sleep deprived yet still wanting it all. We'll get there! :-)

Babs has turned a corner. Sleeps better. We are thus still knackerd but coping lot better. Thanks. Hope the rest of the gang plus babies are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks for the tummy tips, ladies. I guess I should be more patient :)

Bubs woke at 2 for a feed and went back to sleep. Could I? No! I'm lying here awake since then! He just woke for his next feed and I'm still wide awake. Dammit body, let me sleep!!

On the couple issue, yeah our couple time is totally changed. My other half is sleeping in another room since the first week. As I'm bf there isn't much he can do at night anyway so no point in two of us gaga from sleep deprivation. We do have a few hugs during the day but it does feel like we are more parents than a couple at the moment. Hopefully in a while, when I get a breast pump and start expressing, we'll be able to go out for an evening of just us. I'm kind of too busy to n miss us at the moment but I think we'll need to make the effort when we can.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear things have got a bit better 73trix! Fair play for hanging in there, it is hard when you are in the middle of it and it feels never ending. Keep thinking, this too shall pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

My OH got promoted and transferred to the West the week before I was due so that was pretty huge. Then a newborn on top of it meant a lot of adjusting! I take care of the baby by myself during the week and we only have weekends together, and it's mostly about the baby then as well. But she's only two weeks old and we are both so in love with her. I can't wait for the weekends now just to get some time with the three of us together. Very difficult to balance family time, couple time and then seeing friends and family on top of it all. I guess we learn as we go along :)

Isolt wrote: »
    My OH got promoted and transferred to the West the week before I was due so that was pretty huge. Then a newborn on top of it meant a lot of adjusting! I take care of the baby by myself during the week and we only have weekends together, and it's mostly about the baby then as well. But she's only two weeks old and we are both so in love with her. I can't wait for the weekends now just to get some time with the three of us together. Very difficult to balance family time, couple time and then seeing friends and family on top of it all. I guess we learn as we go along :)

God that must be tough. I'm dreading my oh going back to work! Fair play managing on your own midweek.

Isolt wrote: »

My goodness that is a balancing act! Fair play to you for managing that, but what horrible timing!

Fair play to you Isolt have you any other help during the week? People calling by etc?

Thought I was doing well this week. Since Monday I've been getting into town with baba and going for walks but today my pain increased and I've suddenly started bleeding again. I am definitely overdoing it. I must remember they told me 6 weeks healing for a reason - but I'm so impatient!!!

Thought I was doing well this week. Since Monday I've been getting into town with baba and going for walks but today my pain increased and I've suddenly started bleeding again. I am definitely overdoing it. I must remember they told me 6 weeks healing for a reason - but I'm so impatient!!!

Oh god mind yourself. It's so hard as you feel like you'll go mad inside but remember you have had major surgery and it will take a long time to recover.

I'm 7 weeks now and skin is not fully healed and I do get bouts of pain still so do mind yourself.
    Each person is different I know.

On the way to hospital. Started bleeding heavily last nite with fresh blood and large clots. Still ongoing. Internal examination at the GP and now referred for scan in case any material left behind after section. I am scared and just gutted. Hate that I have to bring my baby to a hospital too but she is Bf and can't leave her behind. I really thought the worst was over with this birth and that I wouldn't have to step foot in a hospital again before I sought treatment for my phobia but I just can't escape it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

hi all, cant believe Michael is 5 weeks tomorrow, the time has flown by, one day rolls into the next
    i was just wondering about hair colour, my oh is ginger and baby is also a lovely light shade of ginger, will this stay, all my aunts are telling me it will fall out and change colour

On the way to hospital. Started bleeding heavily last nite with fresh blood and large clots. Still ongoing. Internal examination at the GP and now referred for scan in case any material left behind after section. I am scared and just gutted. Hate that I have to bring my baby to a hospital too but she is Bf and can't leave her behind. I really thought the worst was over with this birth and that I wouldn't have to step foot in a hospital again before I sought treatment for my phobia but I just can't escape it.

Oh no god help you especially when you are home and all. This happened me twice on my first.
    I totally overdone it and developed a really bad infection and I had to drag baby with me.
    Hope all goes ok

• Advertisement

hi all, cant believe Michael is 5 weeks tomorrow, the time has flown by, one day rolls into the next
    i was just wondering about hair colour, my oh is ginger and baby is also a lovely light shade of ginger, will this stay, all my aunts are telling me it will fall out and change colour

U know what it could my oh is sallow skin brown eyes and brown hair. I'm auburn and our two girls are pure red heads and our 7 week old has the ginger tinge too. With no eyebrows
    So possibly could be red too.

So there's a good chance of you little lad being red

monflat wrote: »
    U know what it could my oh is sallow skin brown eyes and brown hair. I'm auburn and our two girls are pure red heads and our 7 week old has the ginger tinge too. With no eyebrows
    So possibly could be red too.

So there's a good chance of you little lad being red

i was told the hair will match his eyebrows
    and they are ginger, fingers crossed it stays the way it is

Sorry to hear this fbm, you are having a rough time you poor thing. In sure you'll get sorted out, hope it goes quickly so you get home soon. Sending you good wishes.

Oh I really feel for you FBM, hope you get sorted and don't have to spend too long in the hospital - happy thoughts going your way xx

Re hair colour my fella has quite a reddish tinge but I'm fascinated because there are no redheads at all in mine or oh's family - my brothers or his or any of our parents. I have a redhead niece and so does he but these are both due to their mothers. Maybe it's somewhere in our grandparents generation. Of course equally he may not stay red!

Just picked up the older fella from crèche and we are battening down the hatches now for the weekend. It's wild outside!! Their dad is out of town this weekend so I'm not getting any break, just wondering how to keep him entertained - will have to call on my brother so he can play with his cousins :). God We are an hour in and he's kicking off now cos I asked him not to squeeze or shake the baby's head. It's going to be a looooooong weekend.

That's very tough Hope you'll be Ok. Section is a darned nuisance. I had first long drive today to OH's family for wend. Journey v uncomfortable for me physically. . Didn't even consider this as had only done local trips. Every bump on the road ...ow. Hugs.

hi all
    anyone using an electric sterilser, i got the tommee tippee one, after the sterilisation there is loads of condensation in the bottles
    anyway to avoid this or will i just keep shaking the water out ?
    i also got the perfect prep machine, oh my, what a god send, bottles are ready in next to no time, im still doing the combination feeding, he seems ok with it so far, using aptamil and he doesnt seem to notice the difference
    great as it gives me a break for feeding and the oh can have a go

Sorry fire starter I don't use one yet.

Had a lovely short weekend away on the real Jersey shore. Tacky $hithole with crappy beaches but it was good to see the sea and get out of the city. We got the train down sat morning and my other half was doing a race there on Sunday morning. It was out first time traveling with R and it actually went fine! Train was handy, got a crib from the hotel (brought our own sheets). I thought I'd over done the packing for R as I brought 8 changes of clothes and 20+ nappies for just 2 days but he decided to have a poo fest both sat and sun, right up his back almost every time! Last time was in a cafe over lunch, he was on my knee and had two massive noisy poos that starred seepong out through his clothes. Lovely! Had a very stressful time then trying to change him in amanky loo with no proper table. We've started using the no 1 nappies on him and I think the pampers might be a bit to big still. I think he's holding in the poo for explosive effect :)

I have an Avnet steriliser and it's the same, just the nature of steam really :) Just shaking them out is fine I think. Never did my other fella any harm anyway.

Madeinamerica sounds like you had a lovely weekend :) and so did baby ha ha - they love to do explosive poos when you are out and about. And when I think of the places I've changed my older guy - toilet floors being a low point - it's a good idea to get a portsble changing mat to bring out with you - try and find one that has pockets where you can store a couple nappies and wipes. they are a godsend!

Calvin is 6 weeks old today :) time is honestly just flying by! He had his check up yesterday and is weighing in at 9lb11 / 4.4 kg - so he's piling on the weight - 2lb! He is still a bit refluxy and / or colicky and my gp recommended that I avoid dairy for a couple of weeks and get a low lactose formula for his bottle feeds and see if that makes any difference. He just hates lying down flat, and is very very slow to settle himself. I have him in his car seat a lot so he's elevated but I might try and get a swing / chair thing. Also looking into getting a sling that I can feed him hands free and move around, I've a baby bjorn which is great but is really only for carrying, you can't feed baby with one.

I really thought I'd have given up breastfeeding him by now, but it's not too bad really - and he does take a bottle so his dad can look after him too, so it's the best of both worlds ... I don't have to make him bottles all the time. But having said that, I can sit under him all day if I need to when E is in the crèche. It'll be a different story in 2 weeks time when he'll be home at noon as I can't justify paying for the crèche any longer :) I have no clue how to entertain a 3 - 4 year old eek!

Hey karmella I'm so glad you replied and I'm not the only one who changed their baby on the floor! That stressful change in the cafe was on the floor :( felt so so bad but he was a mess of leaking poo and there wasn't anywhere else near. I had a couple of freebie hand towels from the race and lots of tissue underneath the travel changing pad but still it was awful and he roared :(

Calvin sounds like he's thriving. What sling are you getting for breastfeeding in? I've a beco gemini, only used it twice so far. You're supposed to be able to bf in it but haven't tried. Bit nervous using it tbh. Let us know how you get on.

My breast pump arrived this week. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as had a busy few days with work. Can't wait for his dad to be able to give him a bottle although not looking forward to the miking machine :)

• Advertisement

Calvin sounds like he's thriving. What sling are you getting for breastfeeding in? I've a beco gemini, only used it twice so far. You're supposed to be able to bf in it but haven't tried. Bit nervous using it tbh. Let us know how you get on.

My breast pump arrived this week. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as had a busy few days with work. Can't wait for his dad to be able to give him a bottle although not looking forward to the miking machine :)

Oh I haven't actually looked into any slings yet ! I'm a terrible procrastinator.

I was looking at 2nd hand pumps alright. I have a manual one which is fine for the odd express, manage to get about 4 oz out of 2 breasts. But it's a pain in the hole! There are a lot of medela mini electric pumps for sale which makes me wonder if they are as useless as a manual - mostly only used a couple times. A few medela swing ones also but not sure I want to splash out for them. Although I suppose the cost of formula might outweigh the price.

Advertisement