Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi ladies, thanks for your messages. Had a rough old time of it last week but feeling much better internally this week thank goodness. Haven't posted in a bit as would you believe I have now developed carpal tunnel in both hands so it's hard to use the phone. Havr splints from the physio on both hands atm - I swear you couldn't make this stuff up!!!

I.just don't know why my poor body seems to be falling apart post pregnancy but trying to just get on with it. Although Baby A looks set to be am only child, dunno of I could deal with this crap twice lol.

On the plus side A is thriving. Had a rough few days where all she did was scream but finally realised it was cos I'd changed how I bf her - once I changed back she was content again, thank.goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hi ladies, thanks for your messages. Had a rough old time of it last week but feeling much better internally this week thank goodness. Haven't posted in a bit as would you believe I have now developed carpal tunnel in both hands so it's hard to use the phone. Havr splints from the physio on both hands atm - I swear you couldn't make this stuff up!!!

I.just don't know why my poor body seems to be falling apart post pregnancy but trying to just get on with it. Although Baby A looks set to be am only child, dunno of I could deal with this crap twice lol.

On the plus side A is thriving. Had a rough few days where all she did was scream but finally realised it was cos I'd changed how I bf her - once I changed back she was content again, thank.goodness.

Oh you poor thing - you are having a right old time of it!! Great to hear your little one is thriving though. How have the dogs taken to her?

Karmella wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing - you are having a right old time of it!! Great to hear your little one is thriving though. How have the dogs taken to her?

Well I'm sitting here with the baby on my lap, two dogs on the couch beside me and one on the floor :) One of them was scared of her for the first week but now it's great. They sometimes wander over to give her a sniff or a lick when she's on my lap but that's the extent of their interest, which is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Well I'm sitting here with the baby on my lap, two dogs on the couch beside me and one on the floor :) One of them was scared of her for the first week but now it's great. They sometimes wander over to give her a sniff or a lick when she's on my lap but that's the extent of their interest, which is perfect.
    we have a miniature schnauzer here, when baby Michael arrived and started crying, the dog would cry too, now she just sits in the corner quietly, i put a stair gate on the kitchen door so we can leave the dog out there if we need to, id always be worried about dogs and babies they might get jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi Ladies, it's been a while but I've fat fingers and find it hard to type with baby in hand! Glad to hear everyone's little ones are thriving! It sounds tough for the ladies who had sections but hopefully your bodies will bounce back in the next couple weeks.

AJ is flying. I am producing a bit more milk now than I thought and I am trying to slowly cut back on the amount in his bottles. He put on 900g one week and 440g for the last two - he is nearly 12 lbs now! Though he is very long - he can't fully stretch out is legs in his 0-3 sleep suits so I think I will have to wash the 3-6 for the coming weeks.

He's started to fight naps since he hit the 5 week mark - afraid he will miss something! The only sure way of sleep is walking in the buggy, car journeys, or granddads arms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Karmella wrote: »
    Oh I haven't actually looked into any slings yet ! I'm a terrible procrastinator.

I was looking at 2nd hand pumps alright. I have a manual one which is fine for the odd express, manage to get about 4 oz out of 2 breasts. But it's a pain in the hole! There are a lot of medela mini electric pumps for sale which makes me wonder if they are as useless as a manual - mostly only used a couple times. A few medela swing ones also but not sure I want to splash out for them. Although I suppose the cost of formula might outweigh the price.

I got the medela pump in style advanced with the backpack, $83 with my insurance but need to buy steriliser and freezer bags yet. I looked at the other smaller more portable ones but I was concerned that the motor wouldn't be very good in the smaller ones. I'm going to be pumping a lot as I go back to work before he's 4 months and hope to keep to breast milk till he's a year (plus solids). So I reckoned a good pump will still be cheaper than formula for me. Haven't started pumping yet as he's been on a bit of a binge this weekend, totally drained me I doubt there's anything left to pump!

Glad to hear A is thriving! You are having a rough time fbm, hope the carpal tunnel is the last of your body issues. Are your fingers sore too by any chance? My hands were sore for the first few weeks and they still aren't right. The joints in my fingers felt weak and sore, like it was hard when I tried to open his baby gro fasteners or push on the hand soap pump. They still aren't normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Are your fingers sore too by any chance? My hands were sore for the first few weeks and they still aren't right. The joints in my fingers felt weak and sore, like it was hard when I tried to open his baby gro fasteners or push on the hand soap pump. They still aren't normal.

i have sore fingers. Not so much sore as weak-ish too. Is this a post preg symptom? Alsofeel my knee joints at me a bit and my feet feel tender tho not swollen. common de-nominator = joint issues. i had stopped taking my daily cod liver oil when pregnant and havent re-introduced them yet - just forget - maybe that will help but was interested to see others mention sore fingers..

Sometimes i think that as we have had so much symptoms and wierd body changes that i don't even tune into the half of them anymore....

73trix wrote: »
    i have sore fingers. Not so much sore as weak-ish too. Is this a post preg symptom? Alsofeel my knee joints at me a bit and my feet feel tender tho not swollen. common de-nominator = joint issues. i had stopped taking my daily cod liver oil when pregnant and havent re-introduced them yet - just forget - maybe that will help but was interested to see others mention sore fingers..

Sometimes i think that as we have had so much symptoms and wierd body changes that i don't even tune into the half of them anymore....

Funnily enough I couldn't stomach fish oil capsules when pregnant but have started taking them again since he was born. perhaps my fingers would be worse without them. I also feel the back of my pelvis sometimes is achey/stiff.

I second that on the multiple weird body changes! In my innocence I didn't expect so many post-partum.

Oh dear god! R got his first 3 vaccine shots today. I wanted to cry myself! So awful, huge needles, the poor little thing :( he roared worse than he's ever done. I fed him straight away and h e calmed down. Later on at home, after a good feed we both fell asleep. When I woke up his dad was walking around holding him still asleep. He'd been crying in his sleep :(:'( he's slept most of the evening now and seems a lot better. So awful to see a baby crying in his sleep though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Aww, I'm sorry to hear your little man was so upset madeinamerica. It's one thing I am dreading is the vaccinations, he didn't even get his BCG in hospital and we have to wait until Dec as apparently they are low in stock

Thanks comon, it's hard to watch! Hope yours goes better. I need to toughen myself up for the next ones.

Great to see in your previous post that AJ is doing well and getting bigger! Hope you are doing well yourself :) sounds like the feeding is going well if you have more milk now.

On a positive note, the doc was very happy with his progress. He's 13lb exactly and 22.7 inches, so he's put on 4lb 15oz and grown 3 inches since birth. Breast feeding is working! Phew! Looking back, he almost looks skinny in his first photos but now he's filling out and getting chubby :)

Oh dear god! R got his first 3 vaccine shots today. I wanted to cry myself! So awful, huge needles, the poor little thing :( he roared worse than he's ever done. I fed him straight away and h e calmed down. Later on at home, after a good feed we both fell asleep. When I woke up his dad was walking around holding him still asleep. He'd been crying in his sleep :(:'( he's slept most of the evening now and seems a lot better. So awful to see a baby crying in his sleep though.

Oh God! That's heart wrenching! Dread the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Oh God! That's heart wrenching! Dread the day!!

Oh it's terrible I'm goin in Thursday for them :-(
    They get worse when they become more aware
    Like a lamb to the slaughter poor little things don't know what's happening.

I can't wait to get him weighed too. It's such a delight when you see how much they have gained. His toes are at the end of the 0-3 months so il have to move up to 3 -6...

monflat wrote: »
    Oh it's terrible I'm goin in Thursday for them :-(
    They get worse when they become more aware
    Like a lamb to the slaughter poor little things don't know what's happening.

I can't wait to get him weighed too. It's such a delight when you see how much they have gained. His toes are at the end of the 0-3 months so il have to move up to 3 -6...

I was hoping it wouldn't be so badx when they're more aware :( Oh the poor doteens! it's all in their best interest but still.

R grew out of o few suits recently, it was a bit sad that he's not our tiny baby anymore but so lovely that he's growing too.

hi all hope everyone is enjoying their bundles of joy
    had a Michael six week check yesterday, nurse said he is thriving developmentally, doing all the things he should
    he is 11lb 7 now, good job i didnt but too many small things, he has a pair of dungarees on and they are like shorts lol
    i was given presents of clothes 3 months onward and they are fitting him already
    christening next saturday, should be a nice day
    i can beleive how fast he has changed, we got pictures developed the other day in harvey norman, didnt realise we had so many of him
    must get them into an album now

A quick question ladies. I am bf A and every time she needs to poo or pass gas she just cries and cries. I thought it must be normal but now I'm thinking it's not??? Her poos are yellow but loose. Internet has me convinced she is intolerant to the dairy in my diet - Google is a blessing and a curse! Do any of your babies cry when pooping? She doesn't cry the rest of the time.

A quick question ladies. I am bf A and every time she needs to poo or pass gas she just cries and cries. I thought it must be normal but now I'm thinking it's not??? Her poos are yellow but loose. Internet has me convinced she is intolerant to the dairy in my diet - Google is a blessing and a curse! Do any of your babies cry when pooping? She doesn't cry the rest of the time.

Poos Seem fine as you described however you could cut out dairy and see.
    My first was like that I had to cut out dairy she won't take any dairy products to this day and she is 4

Would you try some gripe water?

We have had some terrible nights here in past week and gripe water has relived discomfort greatly.

My guy does get agitated when moving stuff through and is often a lot happier after a poo or fart. He doesn't cry for it though. He's exclusively bf. Your daughter's poos sound normal for bf baby BTW.

Would you look into baby massage for her tummy? We were at our first mummy and baby yoga yesterday and the instructor showed us a basic tummy massage to help their intestines, called an I Love You massage. I think you can get books on baby massage or something, I haven't looked into it further.

• Advertisement

On the tummy massage, there's a description on another thread: in new born and toddlers, a thread called 'baby bottle query' first page, a post by our own monflat!. I'm on my phone so can't copyt and paste it sorry.

Monflat that's interesting about your daughter. If there's no improvement I'll have to look at cutting out dairy. Only thing is that will send me from vegetarian to vegan which I didn't think would be the best lifestyle while bf, although I had planned to make the leap at a later date!

Madeinamerica what a coincidence, I'm starting a baby massage class on Thursday so maybe that will help. I'll look up that thread too :-)

Poos Seem fine as you described however you could cut out dairy and see.
    My first was like that I had to cut out dairy she won't take any dairy products to this day and she is 4

Would you try some gripe water?

We have had some terrible nights here in past week and gripe water has relived discomfort greatly.

what stores have gripe water
    tesco ?

what stores have gripe water
    tesco ?

I see from other threads that it is now sold in.the republic for 10 euro.
    It is only about 2.50 a bottle up north.

It's only available here again recently
    It had been taken off market for a while because of the ingredients in it.
    Years ago it had alcohol in it not anymore.

However there are many shops around that sell it under the counter.
    If you search boards there have been a few threads before.

Are you anywhere near hugginstown Co kilkenny there's a shop there that stocks it.

I got someone that was up north to get me some.

It is very effective though.

I see from other threads that it is now sold in.the republic for 10 euro.
    It is only about 2.50 a bottle up north.

It's only available here again recently
    It had been taken off market for a while because of the ingredients in it.
    Years ago it had alcohol in it not anymore.

However there are many shops around that sell it under the counter.
    If you search boards there have been a few threads before.

Are you anywhere near hugginstown Co kilkenny there's a shop there that stocks it.

I got someone that was up north to get me some.

It is very effective though.
    im in cork, i have a bottle coming from uk saturday
    if that works then i will get it from amazon or asda uk via parcel motel

is it much different to infacol, he is on that since tuesday
    only a slight improvement but the nurse said it takes seven days to work

My mother in law got us the bottle from the UK too. We're going to ask her to get another when she's in Birmingham soon.

im in cork, i have a bottle coming from uk saturday
    if that works then i will get it from amazon or asda uk via parcel motel

is it much different to infacol, he is on that since tuesday
    only a slight improvement but the nurse said it takes seven days to work

Yep it has different constitutes than infacol.

If you find infacol is not working you could try dentinox colic drops
    Some swear by infacol some think it's useless.
    However I must say I find dentinox drops effective this time.

Hi ladies. Hope you and babies are well. How are you getting on with sleep routine? We are struggling with it ie. It's non existent! Bubs is a month old now. What time do you put baby down? Do you go to bed early with baby or keep him up with you till your bedtime? Do you Co sleep? Do you and partner share bedroom or separate rooms? We have tried different things but still get perhaps one 3hrs sleep -either 8 ish to 11 ish and then every 90 mins average. Otherwise if be doesn't settle early he might sleep 12-3 and then again feeds every 90 mins approx. We are giving formula about 11/12 am but depends on how he is sleeping and when his nite appears to be starting!!

Hi ladies. Hope you and babies are well. How are you getting on with sleep routine? We are struggling with it ie. It's non existent! Bubs is a month old now. What time do you put baby down? Do you go to bed early with baby or keep him up with you till your bedtime? Do you Co sleep? Do you and partner share bedroom or separate rooms? We have tried different things but still get perhaps one 3hrs sleep -either 8 ish to 11 ish and then every 90 mins average. Otherwise if be doesn't settle early he might sleep 12-3 and then again feeds every 90 mins approx. We are giving formula about 11/12 am but depends on how he is sleeping and when his nite appears to be starting!!

He was sleeping with me in the bed from birth to 8 weeks but I found I was disturbing him so much to my heartbreak I moved him into his room from then
    ( I had second in bed until 8 months :-( )

Husband has only moved back when baby moved out!

Anyway now routine is good he feedsaround 7-830 am back for morning sleep immediately within 10 mins.
    Feed three hourly during day at around 5 pm he gets fussy and HAs to sleep between 5-6

If he does not sleep at this time he's overtired and awake for hours.
    Feed then. Massage and up to bed at 6.45 offer more feed but usually.
    Asleep from 7-11.

Dream feed at 11. I feed him as much as u can without waking him
    As if he wakes we are in for an unsettled night!!!
    Nappy change then asleep until 5am another feed in his sleep and into another day.
    Now that said we do have the odd bad night

At 4 weeks I fed no more than 3 hourly day and night.
    It is hard on you 73trix but it will get easier. I no that's no consolation to you but I found my first extremely hard.
    I can manage 3 easier now than I managed my first.
    I was all over the place.

The key thing I found is do the exact same each time.. Routine routine.
    On my first I had zero routine till 14 weeks but if you stick to 3 hourly during the day and the same bed time routine it eventually will all settle.

• Advertisement

our fella is in the moses basket at the end of our bed
    he goes to bed when we do about midnight
    breast feed and then just lie him in the basket and he falls asleep till 6 ish
    half an hour feed and back down till 10
    he is very good now, at the start it was all messed up

monflat did you move baby to his own room at eight weeks, everyone is telling me 6 months ?
    just wondered as i have a cotbed in the nursery ready for him and he is outgrowing the basket, so i was debating buying a small cot for now for our room

Advertisement