Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yes I did my first was 6 months second 8 months.

If he does not go into his own room he will be disturbed by 2 yr old who is still up each night and a 4 yr old who is up too and numerous times I had him settled and in they came

His room is off ours years ago it was our wardrobe but it's a ok sized room husband put a door in through wall so no need to go out door and in other door so it's good I can still hear every whimper.

I do know what is reccomended but it's what suits your family too.
    If I didn't I'd be ragged with exhaustion as he is a light sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

AJ goes down at night between 10 and 11. The routine starts around 8:30 to 9:30. Bf then large bottle of 120 ml, Followed by night night to dad and pets. Upstairs for star light show and bedtime story. Then lullabies and trying to settle him in crib. If he settles in less than an hour I could get 5 hrs, otherwise of 3 to 4. Up around 2:30 or 3 for feed which can last up to 2 hrs with winding. then sleep for another 2.5 to 3 hrs.

However gas issues might mean we can not sleep the whole time as he can grunt very loudly. Day naps aren't great, short naps of 30 to 50 mins maybe 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

For those who start nite time early,;do you go to bed at same time or use a monitor? I feel I'd be tired enough to go to bed early but then there's no decent wind down time with my OH :-(

For those who dont put baby down til late, do you have baby in basket in living room with you til then sleeping or is he awake?

73trix wrote: »
    For those who start nite time early,;do you go to bed at same time or use a monitor? I feel I'd be tired enough to go to bed early but then there's no decent wind down time with my OH :-(

For those who dont put baby down til late, do you have baby in basket in living room with you til then sleeping or is he awake?

I'm only getting to have conversations with husband now it has been very difficult he is gone 3 nights a week..to GAA
    Last Saturday we went out for my birthday hour and a half we had we went local and Could run fly home if needed.

It's tough goin and I find we really have to make an effort to talk to one another.
    But when they get older it's even harder!

Yes I have just put him down now and monitor is on

Older two to bed at 8pm
    Tidy up have dinner until 930 and then up to bed. In the early weeks I used to go to bed at 7
    He would put others to bed tidy up etc.

Now I have more energy I do all that.

I've been getting more fresh air too these days so I' have more energy.

It's such a life changing experience being a parent isn't. It

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Gosh I'm really falling down on the whole routine thing, I'm a disaster! He is 8 weeks old today. Every time I think i've turned a corner and he's stretching his night feeds we regress back to 2 hrs. Eg this weekend he slept from 11.30 to 5 and 12 to 5 but then last night it was back to 12, 2, 4. I dunno really. He is quite windy and gets very agitated until he farts or poos. I tried avoiding dairy in case it was intolerance but it didn't make much difference. He brings up most of his feeds - just spitty most of the time but then every now and again there's a projectile vomit. It's lovely!

Anyone know how to deal with cradle cap?

• Advertisement

Karmella wrote: »
    Gosh I'm really falling down on the whole routine thing, I'm a disaster! He is 8 weeks old today. Every time I think i've turned a corner and he's stretching his night feeds we regress back to 2 hrs. Eg this weekend he slept from 11.30 to 5 and 12 to 5 but then last night it was back to 12, 2, 4. I dunno really. He is quite windy and gets very agitated until he farts or poos. I tried avoiding dairy in case it was intolerance but it didn't make much difference. He brings up most of his feeds - just spitty most of the time but then every now and again there's a projectile vomit. It's lovely!

Anyone know how to deal with cradle cap?

Oh it's tough when you think you get there and they change bavk again.

Cradle cap yes
    A few tiny drops of olive oil or sunflower oil onto the scalp
    Massage in
    Then get your baby hair brush and gently rub back and forth.

Worked a treat for me today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Ok so not any better as regards sleep routine. The temporary sleeping from 8pm- 11pm has gone aswell. Monkey didn't sleep from 3 pm yest til1am. Despite a walk in buggy and a bath. I thought baths were to help with sleep! I was driven demented!

I have unfortunately succumbed to co sleeping with babs in bed with me. He will NOT settle in basket. I tried for over 2 hours last nite. Even after a bottle of formula. Not a hope. So wrecked I let him sleep with me but I'm worried I won't be able to break this habit and my OH will never be able to come back know to bed with me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi 73trix, my babs is 5 weeks and while we don't have a routine during the day as I just let her sleep whenever I can, we have a pretty solid one for night.

She goes to bed with us around 11 with us, had a bf, nappy then into bed. We have a co-sleeper which I find great as it's up against my side of the bed so when she grumbles going down I just lie down and look into her eyes and let her hold my finger while she drifts off. We also have a Tranquil Turtle and she loved looking at the projection on the ceiling and listening to the wave sounds, calms her right down. She wakes again around 4 and 6 or 7 for bf and nappy, then it's turtle and finger holding time again. Normally settled within 20mins despite the fact she gets very gassy and usually cries for a few mins while that is going on.

Ok so not any better as regards sleep routine. The temporary sleeping from 8pm- 11pm has gone aswell. Monkey didn't sleep from 3 pm yest til1am. Despite a walk in buggy and a bath. I thought baths were to help with sleep! I was driven demented!

I have unfortunately succumbed to co sleeping with babs in bed with me. He will NOT settle in basket. I tried for over 2 hours last nite. Even after a bottle of formula. Not a hope. So wrecked I let him sleep with me but I'm worried I won't be able to break this habit and my OH will never be able to come back know to bed with me :-(

They just love the warmth and closeness of being beside mammy!
    He's very young yet.
    There will come a time that he will settle.
    It's tough when they don't sleep.
    Would you try getting a sling for baby that they could sleep in during the day and at least you may get some rest. Or. Have you a swing.
    My first needed constant movement to settle her

monflat wrote: »
    They just love the warmth and closeness of being beside mammy!
    He's very young yet.
    There will come a time that he will settle.
    It's tough when they don't sleep.
    Would you try getting a sling for baby that they could sleep in during the day and at least you may get some rest. Or. Have you a swing.
    My first needed constant movement to settle her

Edit ;
    My first was in swing day and night up to about 16 weeks nothing would settle her.
    If a swing works use it or whatever.

Don't mind what other people do etc there are so many people out there that their babies don't sleep in cots etc need to be held or rocked. Bottle and Breastfed.
    My friend is formula feeding and her little one is 19 weeks all last week she wanted to lie on her mammys chest to settle never done this before.

73trix. You are doin great. Motherhood is very tough it's so hard not to enjoy early days. .

My first baby was a touchy sensitive baby difficult to settle in first 2.5 yrs but last night I put her to bed and she said night mammy I'm tired you can go now I never thought I'd hear the likes she goes off now no problem.

Trust your instincts with your baby also and hopefully you will get more rest soon
    X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

we have a graco swing downstairs if he falls asleep, he goes in there, but 9 till bed time he is normally awake

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

No routine here, at least not intentionally. I keep saying I should start a routine m bed time routine for him but doesn't happen. He speends the evening with us in front of the telly. I put him in a mini crib beside us if he sleeps. He does sleep a bit in the late evening. I feed him in the couch close to bed time, change him and put him down around 11 when I go to bed. He's usually awake again after being changed so I give him a feed in bed then he falls asleep. I've a co sleeper crib by my bed, it saves my sanity. It's a diy job, an IKEA crib with one side taken off, works a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Hi ladies,

Sounds like your all doing great. My little girl is 5 weeks now, going for the dreaded BCG next week :( She is just growing before our eyes, she gets last bottle around half ten/eleven normally settled by half eleven. She will sleep until around half 3/four she sleeps in her own crib in our room. Normally takes half an hour to feed/wind/change her. Sleeps then until half 7ish.

2yo is great with her no jealousy thank god. Wont call her by her name, uses a pet name which i think will stick as i find we are using it now!!

He was always great for going to bed, straight into cot no tricks or anything. But since the last few weeks of my pregnancy he likes to get into our bed first to watch a cartoon, takes AGES for him to go asleep as he fights it. When he does go asleep we move him into his cot.

Do i just need to be striker with him and put him in the cot and let him cry it out?

Back driving now after section, great to have independence again! How is everyone healing? I've had no trouble thank god back gets a bit achy after carrying 2yo. I know i shouldn't but its easier said than done.

Just wondering when you go in to register them/get birth certificate do you have to make an appointment or just go in?

R was pretty clingy and cranky this evening, didn't want to be put down at all. Was delighted with myself when I realised I could put him in the sling to get some housework done. Tried out breastfeeding him in the sling too. Seriously felt like a super-mummy, breastfeeding and folding laundry at the same time. Ah, the little things make me happy!

Excited ftm. You just go in and register birth no appointment necessary. It's not 20 euro for a birth cert.

It depends on yourself what way you want to deal with your little toddler.

It might be fine now and suits you to lift him into cot but down the road you may want to go out at night time etc and this be difficult.

However he is put out too by his sisters arrival so it may be a wrong time to do it.

It's hard to know!

R was pretty clingy and cranky this evening, didn't want to be put down at all. Was delighted with myself when I realised I could put him in the sling to get some housework done. Tried out breastfeeding him in the sling too. Seriously felt like a super-mummy, breastfeeding and folding laundry at the same time. Ah, the little things make me happy!

Fair play to you that's a skill mastered what sling do you have?

Fair play to you that's a skill mastered what sling do you have?

I was so excited when my poor brain realised i could wear the sling in the house! Seriously need sleep.

I've a Beco Gemini.
    http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/gemini

I bought it because it sounded good in this review:
    http://www.babygearlab.com/Baby-Carrier-Reviews

So far it has been good. Comfy enough, hasn't been sore on my back or anywhere, R has either gone to sleep or just been quietly sitting there. I can put it on by myself. Took a few gos to figure out how to get it off by myself as it has these safety clasps but it is easy now. My hubby didn't notice I was feeding him until I told him, so it is discrete.

A had her 6 week check up today. Doctor said her head is normal sized which is great as she had a bullet shaped head due to being breech. Everything else normal too except for weight. She was 6lbs15 at birth and is 8lbs10 today - doctor said he would have expected her to have put on more. I was so disappointed as I thought she was doing great! She is exclusively bf and in the last few days she has upped her feeding time so I'm sure she'll catch up.

Hope all you ladies and babies are doing well x

A had her 6 week check up today. Doctor said her head is normal sized which is great as she had a bullet shaped head due to being breech. Everything else normal too except for weight. She was 6lbs15 at birth and is 8lbs10 today - doctor said he would have expected her to have put on more. I was so disappointed as I thought she was doing great! She is exclusively bf and in the last few days she has upped her feeding time so I'm sure she'll catch up.

What did they advise you to do regarding the weight ?
    Our fella was 7 lb 1 at birth and at the six week check was 11 lb 7
    But it all depends on the parents surely
    My husband is 6" 4 so we are expecting a big boy, he is over 2 foot already

Can you answer me this?
    Was the doc male or female?
    If female did she mention that she bf herself

If I were you a quick call to cuidu or La leche will putyour mind at ease.
    That weight gain Is good
    Was the same scales used for the initial weight and today's weight?
    Even that could mean an oz or two.

What was she at 2 weeks check?
    Some gp s have no knowledge of bf and are obsessed with weight gain.

I had a terrible gp experience on my first giving me really bad advice

If baby has wet and dirty nappies everything going ok

My lad was 8 7 oz when born at two weeks was 8 lbs and at 10 weeks is 11 lbs so you are doin great
    they seem to pressurise mothers about weight gain.

If he is alert and regular wet and dirty nappies don't worry you are flying it.

• Advertisement

What did they advise you to do regarding the weight ?
    Our fella was 7 lb 1 at birth and at the six week check was 11 lb 7
    But it all depends on the parents surely
    My husband is 6" 4 so we are expecting a big boy, he is over 2 foot already

Oh really? Wow that's impressive, now I'm starting to worry! He said to make sure I don't change breasts too soon so she's getting enough hindmilk. I thought I was doing that as I was switching when she detached herself but now I can get her to reattach to the first breast for longer. I think that's where I've been going wrong.

I've found it so hard to get info on breastfeeding. There's loads out there for how to establish breastfeeding but not much beyond that. There's a bf support group where I live but it's unfortunately on the day my hubby has the car in Dublin.

Oh btw my hubby is 6'2 but I'm only 5'1.

Can you answer me this?
    Was the doc male or female?
    If female did she mention that she bf herself

If I were you a quick call to cuidu or La leche will putyour mind at ease.
    That weight gain Is good
    Was the same scales used for the initial weight and today's weight?
    Even that could mean an oz or two.

What was she at 2 weeks check?
    Some gp s have no knowledge of bf and are obsessed with weight gain.

I had a terrible gp experience on my first giving me really bad advice

If baby has wet and dirty nappies everything going ok

My lad was 8 7 oz when born at two weeks was 8 lbs and at 10 weeks is 11 lbs so you are doin great
    they seem to pressurise mothers about weight gain.

If he is alert and regular wet and dirty nappies don't worry you are flying it.

She was 6 15oz at birth, 7 1oz at 2 weeks and now 8 10 at 6 weeks. It's been a different scales each time and the gp took off a bit because she had a nappy and vest on. He GP is male, he didn't make a big deal of it, just said they would check again at 12 weeks.

Every report has been glowing until now so now I'm worried. I know she's a girl and every baby is different but it's natural to worry if someone says something is not quite right. She's extremely alert and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. She has another check at the hospital tomorrow as she was breech so I'll see what they say.

She was 6 15oz at birth, 7 1oz at 2 weeks and now 8 10 at 6 weeks. It's been a different scales each time and the gp took off a bit because she had a nappy and vest on. He GP is male, he didn't make a big deal of it, just said they would check again at 12 weeks.

Every report has been glowing until now so now I'm worried. I know she's a girl and every baby is different but it's natural to worry if someone says something is not quite right. She's extremely alert and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. She has another check at the hospital tomorrow as she was breech so I'll see what they say.
    I would not worry at all about that weight.

All scales are different.I would not worry at all.
    Some health professionals are just too obsessed with weight gain.

My male gp has always me to go to the " experts" if I had bf concerns. Cuidu or La leche. As he openly admitted he does not know too much about bf.

Would you give them a call you don't have to turn up at the groups.

I've phoned loads over the years

I would not worry at all about that weight.

All scales are different.I would not worry at all.
    Some health professionals are just too obsessed with weight gain.

My male gp has always me to go to the " experts" if I had bf concerns. Cuidu or La leche. As he openly admitted he does not know too much about bf.

Would you give them a call you don't have to turn up at the groups.

I've phoned loads over the years

Didn't know I could just call them. Will give them a try.

Didn't know I could just call them. Will give them a try.

Oh god yes I've been in contact lots just random issues and basically reassurance and they have been great.
    Approachable and of great help.

Oh god yes I've been in contact lots just random issues and basically reassurance and they have been great.
    Approachable and of great help.

Thanks monflat, great to know :)

Do you know what weight chart the doc was using? AFAIK there is a different weight chart for bf and ff babies. The ff babies tend to put on a bit more weight anyway, the weight of the bf babies is lower by comparison but still normal for bf and healthy.

Also, nappy and a vest weighs feck all, how much did he take off for them? R has got weighed naked at his doc visits. I weighed him in a bf shop on Friday that has a proper baby scales and tried out with nappy and without just to see. Nappy weighs very little (unless its full!).

I don't know much about it but it sounds like you are doing well :)

Oh really? Wow that's impressive, now I'm starting to worry! He said to make sure I don't change breasts too soon so she's getting enough hindmilk. I thought I was doing that as I was switching when she detached herself but now I can get her to reattach to the first breast for longer. I think that's where I've been going wrong.

I've found it so hard to get info on breastfeeding. There's loads out there for how to establish breastfeeding but not much beyond that. There's a bf support group where I live but it's unfortunately on the day my hubby has the car in Dublin.
    dont worry about the weight gain at all, if baby is exclusively bf youre doing great, the nurse that called to our house at the start advised after 20 minutes change over breast and always remember what one was used at the last feed, sounds silly but she said some people feel comfortable with one and go back to it out of habit.
    if she has wet and dirty nappies its all good
    did the doctor or nurse show you the measurement chart, this shows the weight guidelines, my nurse explained how its tracked at every check up, our fella is above the average centile.
    strange that he weighed her with nappy on, all our appointments he has been naked and white paper put on the scales and reset before he was weighed.

well done with the breast feeding by the way

• Advertisement

Excited ftm. You just go in and register birth no appointment necessary. It's not 20 euro for a birth cert.

It depends on yourself what way you want to deal with your little toddler.

It might be fine now and suits you to lift him into cot but down the road you may want to go out at night time etc and this be difficult.

However he is put out too by his sisters arrival so it may be a wrong time to do it.

It's hard to know!

i had to pay 20 euro for registering my fella in cumh

Advertisement