Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

i had to pay 20 euro for registering my fella in cumh

Did you get a birth cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

monflat wrote: »
    Did you get a birth cert?

i did
    quite a proud feeling to see all his details on it

i did
    quite a proud feeling to see all his details on it

To register the birth is free of charge but to get a birth cert is 20 euro
    As in 2012 they were only 12 euro.

The price of paper! .....

To register the birth is free of charge but to get a birth cert is 20 euro
    As in 2012 they were only 12 euro.

The price of paper! .....

i was not given the option of not taking the certificate
    i was told my appointment time and i would need valid id and 20 euro

i was not given the option of not taking the certificate
    i was told my appointment time and i would need valid id and 20 euro

Really?

I know you need the birth cert for various reasons.
    God it's an easy way to get all the money out of people I suppose.

Different systems in different counties I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yeah it's 20 euro for a birth cert alright. Total racket. I was asked if I wanted 2 copies! Yeah right like I'm going to give you another 20 euro to press print with your mouse. I colour scanned my older sons one at work and honestly you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Anyway Furbabymomma - my guy had a 2lb-ish weight gain aswell by 6 weeks and my doc had no issues with it. He is 90% bf only gets formula when dad minding him (maybe 3-4 bottles in a week) and I'm going to try pumping more so he'll have expressed milk aswell. It's not that I've any issues with formula it's just the prep is a pain. I met a friend yesterday whose baby is the same age and she really regrets not trying harder to bf as she finds the bottle prep a total pain!

He's 2 months old now and getting his jabs tomorrow the poor pet, hopefully he won't be too bad after them.

He is so alert, and making adorable little goos and gurgles :) I'm quite smitten with him - when he's not crying ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Had 6wk check yest. All good. Has gained over 2 lbs too. Mostly bfing with one bottle formula a nite average.

Question: babs refused a bottle of expressed yest and nite bottle of formula last nite. Really hope he's not decided to reject bottles which are my pass to a little freedom. Got out for 2 hrs shopping thanks to expressed bottles.

73trix wrote: »
    Had 6wk check yest. All good. Has gained over 2 lbs too. Mostly bfing with one bottle formula a nite average.

Question: babs refused a bottle of expressed yest and nite bottle of formula last nite. Really hope he's not decided to reject bottles which are my pass to a little freedom. Got out for 2 hrs shopping thanks to expressed bottles.

was it you giving him the bottle ?
    my fella will take expressed and bottle from hubby but if its me he can smell my milk and it confuses him
    thats what the nurse said anyway

maybe he wasnt hungry at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Well ladies ye were right. Turns out the doc took off way too much weight for her nappy and vest and A is actually 9lbs 3oz, meaning she had gained over the 2lbs. The pediatrician in the hospital actually said her weight gain was excellent! Her hips and head are also doing great so no ill effects from being breech. I am so relieved!!!

was it you giving him the bottle ?
    my fella will take expressed and bottle from hubby but if its me he can smell my milk and it confuses him
    thats what the nurse said anyway

maybe he wasnt hungry at the time

Both. Has taken and refused both from both of us. Try to keep it that dad gives bottles preferably.

• Advertisement

What age is he now?
    My lad does this now and again and sometimes will only take expressed from me but other times only takes 3 oz a time.

My Lad has gone from a great sleeper at day to zero sleep unless I'm out walking or holding him or in the car.
    It's a pure nuisance but it's a sign of him getting bigger.
    He is 11 weeks now. But it's amazing there is such a difference to what he is doing now compared to what his sister's were doing at the same age!

How textbook was the 6wk growth spurt for you guys? My guy is 6wk tomo. Think it could have started today. I had just started to try ""tough love" as advised by gp to try stretch out feeds as 2 hourly too much at this stage ( she was concerned about. Me and my being able to sustain bfing). Then I copped the 6wk spurt. Since my fella is on a constant "feeding frenzy" I'm thinking it can only be worse if he is stuck to me 24/7 rather than 12/7....

What age is he now?
    My lad does this now and again and sometimes will only take expressed from me but other times only takes 3 oz a time.

My Lad has gone from a great sleeper at day to zero sleep unless I'm out walking or holding him or in the car.
    It's a pure nuisance but it's a sign of him getting bigger.
    He is 11 weeks now. But it's amazing there is such a difference to what he is doing now compared to what his sister's were doing at the same age!

Sorry didn't awe this til now. He will be 6wks tomo.

I sympathise on the non sleeping by day as mine has always been like that unless in car or buggy. Get nothing done. Have started to feed him on th e bed if I desperately need him to nap so I can eat/nap/ do anything as he is difficult to entertain between feeds. Wants mammy all the time. Bubs sleeps well on my bed but naturally this is far from ideal. Only the ODD time does he sleep I moses basket during the day.

How textbook was the 6wk growth spurt for you guys? My guy is 6wk tomo. Think it could have started today. I had just started to try ""tough love" as advised by gp to try stretch out feeds as 2 hourly too much at this stage ( she was concerned about. Me and my being able to sustain bfing). Then I copped the 6wk spurt. Since my fella is on a constant "feeding frenzy" I'm thinking it can only be worse if he is stuck to me 24/7 rather than 12/7....

Ah I think one baby was five weeks
    And another was seven weeks.
    Not really on the button of six weeks.

Does your baby have a soother?

Ah I think one baby was five weeks
    And another was seven weeks.
    Not really on the button of six weeks.

Does your baby have a soother?

Doesn't like it. My man just wants to be held or carried. I persevere with basket/play mats/bouncy chair. Shortlived most of the time. I ultimately give in to the crying and pick up. Child ruined already!!

Doesn't like it. My man just wants to be held or carried. I persevere with basket/play mats/bouncy chair. Shortlived most of the time. I ultimately give in to the crying and pick up. Child ruined already!!

Ah not ruined at all

That's Just the way some babies are.

Sometimes I look back on my first which was similar to that wouldn't take a soother had to be held and went for hours without sleep if we missed first sleep window.
    It's tough goin and now I'm back to that again with third
    He sleeps in fits and starts.
    20 mins. 10 mins here and there
    It's so bloody annoying!
    I just can't leave him alone for a moment as the 2 yr old won't keep her hands off him and is constantly trying to press his soft spot.

Oh lord!!!

Argh! My feed on bed so babba and ii can nap plan hasn't worked this eve. He's no intention of sleeping. So frustrating. I'm so tired.

Don't envy managing another kid. Good grief! We plan to try for another quickly as time not on my side but seriously..Two babies?!? At the moment I can only shudder...

This too will pass....right??

Argh! My feed on bed so babba and ii can nap plan hasn't worked this eve. He's no intention of sleeping. So frustrating. I'm so tired.

Don't envy managing another kid. Good grief! We plan to try for another quickly as time not on my side but seriously..Two babies?!? At the moment I can only shudder...

Ah its great to lie down to feed so great to help rest the body.

Yep it's so hard to know what's the best age
    I have a2 yr. Gap between my 3. It's enough and I can cope with that.

My friend has 16. Months between hers and she regrets it totally as her oldest used to pull baby out of cot bouncer whatever \where ever he was.
    Another friend has 3 yrs between hers

It's hard to know as it will be difficult no matter what age as they are needy for many years!
    Especially if one has to work and be pregnant and look after child on days off

I'm finished with 3. =
    4 n under is ENOUGH

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

My guy doesn't sleep that much during the day and sometimes he just wants to be held and walked around or he cries. I've started putting him in the sling in the house just to have free hands to get stuff done. He goes to sleep in it sometimes. I'd really recommend it, I was beginning to feel a bit trapped having to hold him all the time.

R and I went to a breast feeding group on Monday. Been meaning to go since he was born but something always came up on Mondays. It was nice, lovely bunch, some having issues, some not, very supportive, a few tears from some. There were a couple of babies less than 2 weeks old. I had already forgotten how tiny the newborns are! So tiny and helpless. R looked like a giant baby beside them. Kinda got a little feeling of wanting to have a tiny baby again...

In other news, he hates the expensive Calma nipple that's supposed to be all 'most like the breast' and feeds way better from the cheapo nipple that came free with my pump. Classy boy!

• Advertisement

My guy just wants to be up all the time aswell these days and has reverted to 2hourly night feeds. I've resorted to the sling aswell as otherwise my oler fella will be sitting in front of telly /tablet with netflix - it's the only way I can keep him entertained and hold baby at the same time. :) I think the growth spurt started around the middle of week 7 and he's still at it now at week 9!! So maybe it's his real 6 wk spurt as he was 2 weeks early. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I have a 3.5 year gap between them and I honestly think I couldn't have coped with 2 babies. I love that Eric is independent to a certain extent! Now he still craves attention the poor fella but he is very good really.

Right, better go psych myself up to bring him for his jabs! :o

My guy doesn't sleep that much during the day and sometimes he just wants to be held and walked around or he cries. I've started putting him in the sling in the house just to have free hands to get stuff done. He goes to sleep in it sometimes. I'd really recommend it, I was beginning to feel a bit trapped having to hold him all the time.

What type do you have? I have been given a couple on loan but only sampled one so far. I didn't like that babbas head was bobbing in it so never uses it. The others look like you need a degree to just assemble them! And I'm thinking how on earth can I mount bubs in this on me on my own? ??

Hope to start going next week now that I'm back driving. Good to hear you find it good.

What type do you have? I have been given a couple on loan but only sampled one so far. I didn't like that babbas head was bobbing in it so never uses it. The others look like you need a degree to just assemble them! And I'm thinking how on earth can I mount bubs in this on me on my own? ??

I have a baby bjorn one. It's purely a carrier though -as in I can't feed him with it. But I find it fantastic to use otherwise. There is good support for baby's head and it is super super simple to put on and get baby into. I'll put it this way - I've only got one hand and I have no problem getting baby in and out and clipping it in place. (was born with my right arm stumped at the elbow, I've worn a prosthetic all my life with no issues)

I was thinking about trying other ones - I got that one from my brother - but like you say they seem really difficult to manage. He gave us an ergo baby carrier as well and I never succeeded in using that one - it's more like a back pack. Was way too freaked that I'd drop him! Hubby used it a lot though - especially when we were on holidays.

Karmella wrote: »
    I have a baby bjorn one. It's purely a carrier though -as in I can't feed him with it. But I find it fantastic to use otherwise. There is good support for baby's head and it is super super simple to put on and get baby into. I'll put it this way - I've only got one hand and I have no problem getting baby in and out and clipping it in place. (was born with my right arm stumped at the elbow, I've worn a prosthetic all my life with no issues)

I was thinking about trying other ones - I got that one from my brother - but like you say they seem really difficult to manage. He gave us an ergo baby carrier as well and I never succeeded in using that one - it's more like a back pack. Was way too freaked that I'd drop him! Hubby used it a lot though - especially when we were on holidays.

thnx. will google...

I've a Beco Gemini.
    http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/gemini

I bought it because it sounded good in this review:
    http://www.babygearlab.com/Baby-Carrier-Reviews

I can put it on and take it off by myself. Took a few gos to get it off by myself first time as it has these safety clasps but it is easy now. There are videos on you tube. It is easier than it looks really.

There is an extra flap on the top that you can put up for young babies that can't support their heads. It is folded back in the pics on the site. I use the flap with R, it kind of cradles the back of his head.

I have fed him a few times in it, just lengthen the strap on the side you want to latch him. Feels a bit funny at first as it's a different position but works alright.

I looked at the ergo and Bjorn, both really good but the beco Gemini can do more positions.

Whichever one you go for, they aren't as scary or as difficult as they look. I was wary at the start, thinking I'd drop him or squish him, but I love mine now.

Without intending to sound at all condescending, can I just say I'm seriously impressed by you caring for your baby with one hand plus prosthetic? I'm sure it's no bother at all for you, like you said you've had it all your life with no issues, but still, impressive :)

Without intending to sound at all condescending, can I just say I'm seriously impressed by you caring for your baby with one hand plus prosthetic? I'm sure it's no bother at all for you, like you said you've had it all your life with no issues, but still, impressive :)

Thank you :) it's really all a matter of finding the right knack for doing everything, and did all that hard work with the first baby :)

Dressing and changing baby are the hardest jobs. Buttons on the babygro's are my pet hate! ;) Although my friend says that ones with zips are very popular in the states and her brother is coming home this week with a bunch of them fir her. Do you see them a lot there? Sound brilliant :)

Bathing is quite challenging too, I tend not to do it a lot (and as a result my older son is a disaster for baths!! Or showers).

But I always imagine that it is infinitely more difficult for an amputee to cope with learning how to do basic tasks than it is for me as I never knew any different.

Thank you :) it's really all a matter of finding the right knack for doing everything, and did all that hard work with the first baby :)

Dressing and changing baby are the hardest jobs. Buttons on the babygro's are my pet hate! ;) Although my friend says that ones with zips are very popular in the states and her brother is coming home this week with a bunch of them fir her. Do you see them a lot there? Sound brilliant :)

Bathing is quite challenging too, I tend not to do it a lot (and as a result my older son is a disaster for baths!! Or showers).

But I always imagine that it is infinitely more difficult for an amputee to cope with learning how to do basic tasks than it is for me as I never knew any different.
    fair play to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I have the babybjorn too. Found it hard to figure out the first time but after that it was a cinch. It has a lumbar support for me and you can tighten the bit where the baby's head is to prevent bobbing.

Karmella that's seriously impressive, those fecking poppers are a pain at the best of times!

Advertisement