Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Karmella wrote: »
    Thank you :) it's really all a matter of finding the right knack for doing everything, and did all that hard work with the first baby :)

Dressing and changing baby are the hardest jobs. Buttons on the babygro's are my pet hate! ;) Although my friend says that ones with zips are very popular in the states and her brother is coming home this week with a bunch of them fir her. Do you see them a lot there? Sound brilliant :)

Bathing is quite challenging too, I tend not to do it a lot (and as a result my older son is a disaster for baths!! Or showers).

But I always imagine that it is infinitely more difficult for an amputee to cope with learning how to do basic tasks than it is for me as I never knew any different.

Good woman!
    Yeah now that you mention it, I have a good few suits with zips here, but most of the ones with fastener snaps are ones the people have sent me from Ireland. Carter's are a US brand that I've got some suits with zips. If you can't get any online delivered to Ireland, just let me know and I can send some on to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

babies cradle cap all gone yay
    lovely gingery blonde hair now
    just a tip from my experience, may help someone
    nurse told me to use a medicated shampoo, dentadox
    happened to spot the small fella had red ears that were starting to weep
    the cradle cap had spread down and become infected, she gave me some cream with an antibiotic
    cleared it up in 2 days
    she said the best thing for cradle cap is silcocks
    i applied the cream and put a had on his head as its quite thick, but water based so it wont destroy everything
    after a couple of hours i gently massaged his head, still with his hat on
    took it off and the cradle cap was virtually gone after washing his head
    once more the next day and its completely gone

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Oh Thanks madeinamerica but I've more baby clothes than I know what to do with ;) so I can't really justify buying any more!! They sound like they would've been great tho. 4 years too late for me :)

Fire starter that's great that you've cleared up the cradle cap. My guy has it bad and very dry skin on his face & back so I'll try the silcocks. Even after getting rid of it, it comes back after a couple of days.

Fire starter that's great that you've cleared up the cradle cap. My guy has it bad and very dry skin on his face & back so I'll try the silcocks. Even after getting rid of it, it comes back after a couple of days.[/quote]

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How did you get on with 6wk growth spurt? Reckon we are there. Have had tough couple days. Wants to feed non stop and unfortunately is rejecting the bottles -expressed and formula! No break for me. Plus he gets even more hysterical than ever before when hungry as in feed can't be delayed, he screams like never before. Then to add stress he has thrown up feed once the past 2 mornings thus undoing the good of that feed and roars again to be fed asap. Think he has vomited cos he gulps so frenetically! I have tried to slow down the feed by stopping him t o take a break/ wind but this drives him nuts as in don't dare stop feeding me. Stress!

Any similar experiences or are we missing something?

• Advertisement

If your baby falls asleep after feeding do you wake hm to wind each time? I don't tend to cos he barely sleep s by day so I leave him! However the last 2 morning as laid down feeding, he vomited up. Now I'm paranoid about winding yet lot of the time he falls asleep when I try to wind him and am no further on....

He's asleep. I'm hungry. To leave there or wake up to wind? Yes I am having a bad day!!

73trix wrote: »
    If your baby falls asleep after feeding do you wake hm to wind each time? I don't tend to cos he barely sleep s by day so I leave him! However the last 2 morning as laid down feeding, he vomited up. Now I'm paranoid about winding yet lot of the time he falls asleep when I try to wind him and am no further on....

our fella stays asleep while he is winded, seems to come up fine
    if you dont wind them they will wake up with a pain or worse get sick

How did you get on with 6wk growth spurt? Reckon we are there. Have had tough couple days. Wants to feed non stop and unfortunately is rejecting the bottles -expressed and formula! No break for me. Plus he gets even more hysterical than ever before when hungry as in feed can't be delayed, he screams like never before. Then to add stress he has thrown up feed once the past 2 mornings thus undoing the good of that feed and roars again to be fed asap. Think he has vomited cos he gulps so frenetically! I have tried to slow down the feed by stopping him t o take a break/ wind but this drives him nuts as in don't dare stop feeding me. Stress!

Any similar experiences or are we missing something?

Yeah this all sounds familiar, but I had this all last week (week 9!) just had to ride it out. Lot of vomiting and gulping and couldn't put the creatur down and he was crying a couple minutes later. Although he would sleep for a few hours in the afternoon in his car seat / buggy or maybe 20-30 minutes in the sling- that was the only way I got anything done. If I didn't get out for a walk I was paying for it later.

Try & get out for a walk or a drive - should help with the sleeping.

I've not had much luck with the winding- he just spits up more than burping anyway. He falls asleep every feed, but he's a fecker cos he only feeds for about 10 minutes at a time.

Have you a sling so you can make your lunch? Gotta eat to keep your energy up!! :) I just end up snacking and grazing a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yeah this all sounds familiar, but I had this all last week (week 9!) just had to ride it out. Lot of vomiting and gulping and couldn't put the creatur down and he was crying a couple minutes later. Although he would sleep for a few hours in the afternoon in his car seat / buggy or maybe 20-30 minutes in the sling- that was the only way I got anything done. If I didn't get out for a walk I was paying for it later.

Try & get out for a walk or a drive - should help with the sleeping.

I've not had much luck with the winding- he just spits up more than burping anyway. He falls asleep every feed, but he's a fecker cos he only feeds for about 10 minutes at a time.

Have you a sling so you can make your lunch? Gotta eat to keep your energy up!! :) I just end up snacking and grazing a lot!

Yep I've been there lots of times.
    I would also recommend to get out for a walk or a drive it definitely helps.
    Have you anyone to help.
    Are you drinking enough water make sure you drink lots to ensure you have enough milk. .

When he is like this feed often.
    He's building his supply. But it eases off. .

• Advertisement

No help unfortunately. No family locally. Lots to be said for it.

No help unfortunately. No family locally. Lots to be said for it.

I know the feeling it's tough.
    My family are an hour away and I have no sisters.
    I would definitely go driving to get baby asleep.

They change so much thou over the weeks.
    My little lad has gone from a baby where you just put down to go asleep to now I have to rock him over the door saddle. To get him asleep.

Then wakes within 15 mins

So the odd day I do go driving with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I didn't realise there was a 6 week growth spurt at first, until I wondered why A had gone from feeding for 20mins too between 30 and 40mins at a time. She's really starting to fill out and get pudgy now, which I'm delighted with. However like you guys say the crying has gone up. She just gets so upset in the evenings now. Was very tough getting her down this evening as she fought sleep so hard and just roared. Also harder to get her to sleep after a feed, especially of i can't bring up wind.

Yep, my fella was stuck to me around the 6 weeks mark. Especially in the evenings. I don't think I ate a hot meal for 2 weeks, couldn't put him down for long enough to eat dinner when it was cooked! Winding him would sometimes lead to sleep.

Did any of yours suddenly reject the bottles at this time? Soooo frustrating as it gave me a break. I went to shop for hour yest and left a bottle of expressed and he refused it so hysterical by time I got back. Now I'm reluctant to leave him. Could it have something to do with teat size? Still on size 1. Could it be the flow is too slow given the current feeding frenzy?

How long did this phase last for yours? The mental crying is the worst but once fed he's grand til next bout of starvation!!

Did any of yours suddenly reject the bottles at this time? Soooo frustrating as it gave me a break. I went to shop for hour yest and left a bottle of expressed and he refused it so hysterical by time I got back. Now I'm reluctant to leave him. Could it have something to do with teat size? Still on size 1. Could it be the flow is too slow given the current feeding frenzy?

How long did this phase last for yours? The mental crying is the worst but once fed he's grand til next bout of starvation!!

Yes my lad did this around 7 weeks I was at hairdressers getting hair dyed.
    Had to run out door with hair barely rinsed!!!
    I think he woke crying and my mother mistook it for hunger and when she tried him he kept refusing.

my fella has started teething
    i wasnt expecting it so early, cant use bonjella till 4 months old, any tips ?

my fella has started teething
    i wasnt expecting it so early, cant use bonjella till 4 months old, any tips ?

An amber necklace.
    I found these great.

Teetha granules also not sure what age or teetha gel

monflat wrote: »
    An amber necklace.
    I found these great.

Teetha granules also not sure what age or teetha gel

teetha gel is for 3 months onward
    i wasnt sure what the amber neckalce was, quick google search gase a hse warning

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/child/childsafety/teething_necklace.html

i have a teething ring, is there any benefit to putting them in the freezer
    ive heard some people do it
    hopefully the teething wont annoy him too much, i got some calpol if he gets very bad, the nurse suggested it for after his 8 week jabs
    he didnt have any reaction thankfully

teetha gel is for 3 months onward
    i wasnt sure what the amber neckalce was, quick google search gase a hse warning

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/child/childsafety/teething_necklace.html

i have a teething ring, is there any benefit to putting them in the freezer
    ive heard some people do it
    hopefully the teething wont annoy him too much, i got some calpol if he gets very bad, the nurse suggested it for after his 8 week jabs
    he didnt have any reaction thankfully

My 2 yr. Old has a teething necklace and there is no physical way she could break the necklace.
    Each bead is individually knotted so it makes it very difficult to break.
    I was wary about them too but she never touches it.

You can put them in freezer. More effective when they can hold them themselves.

Cut up a new facecloth or a small towel into small pieces soak in water squeeze out and freeze when old enough they can hold and suck.

Seems to work too.

What signs is baby giving that he's teething?

• Advertisement

My 2 yr. Old has a teething necklace and there is no physical way she could break the necklace.
    Each bead is individually knotted so it makes it very difficult to break.
    I was wary about them too but she never touches it.

You can put them in freezer. More effective when they can hold them themselves.

Cut up a new facecloth or a small towel into small pieces soak in water squeeze out and freeze when old enough they can hold and suck.

Seems to work too.

What signs is baby giving that he's teething?
    keeps chewing on his fist and dribbling/drooling a lot

keeps chewing on his fist and dribbling/drooling a lot

It's very early isn't it poor baby they don't be tiny for long. .

It's very early isn't it poor baby they don't be tiny for long. .

he is only 9 weeks, i wasnt expecting it this early to be honest
    he is growing so fast, 12 lb at his check up monday
    he is wearing 3-6 months clothes already
    completely different to the fragile little thing we brought home

he is only 9 weeks, i wasnt expecting it this early to be honest
    he is growing so fast, 12 lb at his check up monday
    he is wearing 3-6 months clothes already
    completely different to the fragile little thing we brought home

Yes my boys the same however it's not bothering him just fist in his mouth no drooling.
    Really.
    Some suffer terrible with drooling thou.

They are so cute when they get the first tooth thou. !

My guy is chewing his fists aswell, never occurred to me that he might be teething, just figured he's self soothing. E didn't get a tooth til he was nearly one!

My guy is chewing his fists aswell, never occurred to me that he might be teething, just figured he's self soothing. E didn't get a tooth til he was nearly one!

my fella wont go near a dummy but if he spots his fist its gone in a flash lol

A loves to chew her fists too but it's normally when she's hungry or when I put her down for the night. If I give her my finger when she's doing it she tries to stuff the whole thing in her mouth too lol.

Drooling and chewing fists here too. I think he just does it when he's hungry though.
    We'd a kind of trial run yesterday for me going back to work, and it wasn't a disaster!. I was one of the organisers for a small conference so had to go in for it, i was in 9-12.30, 2-5 then dinner from 7-10. He was with his dad for the day. I went home to feed him at lunch and his dad brought him in to me at 5.30 to feed him before I had to go for dinner. He took 3 bottles for daddy!! Dad says he was in good form most of the day but was unsettled and agitated in the evening, even with walking around apt which usually settles him. He did get him to sleep that night, took about 5 attempts to put him down but is great as it's the first time he's gone down at night without the boob. I was a bit worried how dad would get on but he did great. Such a relief now. I go back 2nd wk December.

I must add that my boobs were getting pretty full and uncomfortable before each time I saw him during the day. Will definitely have to pump a few times a day in work... Mooo!

• Advertisement

Drooling and chewing fists here too. I think he just does it when he's hungry though.
    We'd a kind of trial run yesterday for me going back to work, and it wasn't a disaster!. I was one of the organisers for a small conference so had to go in for it, i was in 9-12.30, 2-5 then dinner from 7-10. He was with his dad for the day. I went home to feed him at lunch and his dad brought him in to me at 5.30 to feed him before I had to go for dinner. He took 3 bottles for daddy!! Dad says he was in good form most of the day but was unsettled and agitated in the evening, even with walking around apt which usually settles him. He did get him to sleep that night, took about 5 attempts to put him down but is great as it's the first time he's gone down at night without the boob. I was a bit worried how dad would get on but he did great. Such a relief now. I go back 2nd wk December.

Well done you! I still think getting out of my pjs each day is an achievement so dunno how I'd cope with work. I haven't even started pumping yet tbh, going to try it out this weekend so hope it goes well.

Advertisement