Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Well done you! I still think getting out of my pjs each day is an achievement so dunno how I'd cope with work. I haven't even started pumping yet tbh, going to try it out this weekend so hope it goes well.

Ah thanks. I was more impressed with my two boys! Tbh each day is generally a PJ day for me too. Even though it went fine, I was exhausted today after the long day away from him yesterday. 5 days in a row will be a totally different story... : O

Good luck with the pumping! Once you get over the weirdness of having a contraption attached to your boobs it should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Well done madeinamerica & your boys ;)

I still haven't got around to pumping and baby's dad will be here looking after them this weekend, just have todo formula. Well I will try and pump something today and tomorrow. And I'll be pumping to relieve a bit while I'm not feeding. Will have to dump the morning ones as I'm getting out for a few sociables Friday and Saturday :)

10 weeks now and he Is still cluster feeding in the evenings, but defo seeing a stretch at night. 11/12 to 4.

Have a parents evening at primary school tonight for my older boy - will be starting in September :o!!

Karmella wrote: »
    Well done madeinamerica & your boys ;)

I still haven't got around to pumping and baby's dad will be here looking after them this weekend, just have todo formula. Well I will try and pump something today and tomorrow. And I'll be pumping to relieve a bit while I'm not feeding. Will have to dump the morning ones as I'm getting out for a few sociables Friday and Saturday :)

10 weeks now and he Is still cluster feeding in the evenings, but defo seeing a stretch at night. 11/12 to 4.

Have a parents evening at primary school tonight for my older boy - will be starting in September :o!!

Enjoy fri and sat night! I haven't dared have a drink yet as I'm dreading having a hang over while minding R, my poor head wouldn't be able for it!

How does it feel with your older boy moving on to primary school? Is he excited with going to big school or does he know yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

On the subject of pumping, i got a manual pump as the electric ones were so expensive but have I made a mistake??? Any suggestions?

Also I'm dying for a big glass of wine :D how long after do I need to pump and dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

On the subject of pumping, i got a manual pump as the electric ones were so expensive but have I made a mistake??? Any suggestions?

Also I'm dying for a big glass of wine :D how long after do I need to pump and dump?

It really depends on how much you want to pump do you intend to switch from feeding to pumping or just the odd feed here and there?

In my opinion you will not get as much with manual than electric..
    As I pump on left side and have done since week 5 or so.

Last week the shield part of my pump had a hole in it so until I ordered and revieved a new part I was about 30 hrs pumping with manually

My supply dropped considerable amount it was like a switch was turned and I didn't get at all as much

I don't know anything about alcohol and pumping. Best bet on breastfeeding thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Just jumping in here, it's the same rule as drinking and driving, in general it takes 1 hour for your body to breakdown 1 unit of alcohol. It takes 30 mins after your first drink for alcohol levels to peak in your blood and your milk, and this extends to one hour if you are eating as well.

So if you want a glass of wine (1.5 units) and your baby will not need a feed for 2-3 hours after you drink, then it's absolutely fine.

Also, just so you know, there is very little reason to pump and dump unless you are feeling engorged. Think of it in the same way as alcohol in your blood, your body will naturally break in down

Edit: here's a good info source http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

Enjoy fri and sat night! I haven't dared have a drink yet as I'm dreading having a hang over while minding R, my poor head wouldn't be able for it!

How does it feel with your older boy moving on to primary school? Is he excited with going to big school or does he know yet?

It's all very surreal! The school was lovely anyway. But can't believe my little boy is getting so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Got a manual and pump min 140ml each morning. Keep that for daddy to give at nite and/or for me to get out without babs for an hour/2. Well...theoretically...as lately bubs is resisting the bottles. I really hope it's a phase as think he's in a growth spurt. Will be gutted if the bottles stop. Started the next size teat - no difference. :-(

So my careful plans for going back to work hit a speed wobble yesterday... Had a bit of a cry when thinking about it, that R won't see me for x hours a day, what if he forgets me or starts to prefer his Dad and then doesn't want me anymore?! All a bit hormonal still I think.

So my careful plans for going back to work hit a speed wobble yesterday... Had a bit of a cry when thinking about it, that R won't see me for x hours a day, what if he forgets me or starts to prefer his Dad and then doesn't want me anymore?! All a bit hormonal still I think.

God help you i just don't know how you can do it I'd be crying every day at the thoughts
    What I missed the most is the physical holding the baby. I felt I was missing something and the cuddles too of course.

Hope you enjoy the last few weeks together during the days. What time will you finish at in the evenings

• Advertisement

Aw that is all totally normal madeinamerica and also so tough to be leaving him while he is still so new :(

I don't have set hours, it's just to get the work done yourself and some of it has to be done at certain times. It's great in some ways but it can be hard sometimes without a regular day structure. Before he was born id come home pretty late, which annoyed my husband. I'll just have to organise it to come home earlier. I'll be teaching a class v two evenings a week too, I'm hoping to get home in between work and the class to see him but I'll see how that works out. I'll miss holding him! And in dreading that I'll miss him do new stuff :(

I think it depends how much you'll be pumping and where. I'll need to pump a lot and quickly as I'll be pumping in work from when he's 15 weeks and I want to keep him on breast milk as much as possible. So I went for the double electric. Also, it was mostly covered by my insurance so just cost me $83. In my breastfeeding group on Monday someone said the manuals can get good amounts of milk too but might take a bit more time and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

completely normal, i went back when my fella was 4 weeks, i was in floods of tears, heartbreaking to leave him
    people probably thought i was crazy with puffy red eyes

completely normal, i went back when my fella was 4 weeks, i was in floods of tears, heartbreaking to leave him
    people probably thought i was crazy with puffy red eyes

Wow, 4 weeks? How come?

Wow, 4 weeks? How come?

Part time job, Maternity pay was crap

Part time job, Maternity pay was crap

Oh god that's tough on you. .

monflat wrote: »
    Oh god that's tough on you. .

Wasn't too bad work wise
    Leaving him was tough
    Going on a mini break monday visiting family in Sligo, 4 hour drive from cork, now that will be a challenge

That must've been hard. Fair play to you for getting through it.

Good luck with the car journey!

4am, I woke up for the next feed but his Lordship is still asleep. Something not right here! Now I'm just listening to him breathing. Nice to know he's still alive!

On that point, do any of ye have baby monitors that can sense if baby is breathing or stops breathing? Hubby is keen to get one but I'm not sure, I reckon they may cause more stress than they are worth and I've read that they don't reduce risk of sids or anything.

• Advertisement

4am, I woke up for the next feed but his Lordship is still asleep. Something not right here! Now I'm just listening to him breathing. Nice to know he's still alive!

On that point, do any of ye have baby monitors that can sense if baby is breathing or stops breathing? Hubby is keen to get one but I'm not sure, I reckon they may cause more stress than they are worth and I've read that they don't reduce risk of sids or anything.

We got this when it was on sale for £90

http://m.direct.asda.com/tommee-tippee-Closer-to-Nature-Digital-Video-Movement-Baby-Monitor/002676130,default,pd.html?dual=0
    We haven't used it yet as the sensor isn't meant to be in a Moses basket and he has only just gone into his crib.
    We were a bit worried about cot death as my nephew died from it 4 years ago alerts for temp drop and if breathing stops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have angelcare and I love it. Just gives me l reassurance that AJ is doing ok. From what I heard it can give a false alarm when baby is older and can roll off sensor pad, but it seems quite sensitive to me. You just have to remember to switch it off when you take him out of the crib otherwise the alarm goes off and the hubby goes mad!

Re growth spurts, does anyone else find that their baby's seems a bit off with what the books say? I think AJ seems to be having another one now at 9.5 weeks

I forget all about growth spurts!
    Is he unsettled around this time for you?

I found my fella got real unsettled and difficult to soothe at various stages around the 9 week mark.

But he back on track again and more alert and awake during the day.

Re growth spurts, does anyone else find that their baby's seems a bit off with what the books say? I think AJ seems to be having another one now at 9.5 weeks

Yes definitely was very unsettled around then. I downloaded the Wonder Weeks app and I don't know if it's just a load of old bollox, but it says that baby 'leaps' between 8.5 & 9.5 weeks. It's all about mental development- and every time the baby has a mental growth spurt / develops new skills they call it leaping. The symptoms of a leap tend to be a lot of fussiness. So maybe there is something to it. ?
    A leap is a sudden change in the mental development of a baby. It announces progress. Leaps of all healthy children occur at about the same age. Children show individual difference in the intensity with which they go through a leap. The start of a leap goes together with a sudden brain change that brings along a new type of perception. A leap consists of two phases.

The difficult period, marked by the three C's: a child is Crying more, and being more Clingy and Cranky than normal. The progress of the baby may come to a standstill or may even regress. Parents may be concerned or may even feel frustrated.
    The 'smooth transitions' leap:
    After having made this leap, a baby doesn't experience the world as a single, undividable entity anymore (like a bowl of soup, where everything blends together) and begins to differentiate regular patterns. For example: he discovers his hands. He looks surprised and turns them around. Many of the baby's automatic reflexes disappear, and he begins to do things purposefully. All the movements your baby makes still look very stiff to the outside world, as if he was a Pinocchio, a puppet on a string.

Note the following signals:

Your baby wants to be entertained more often;
    It will take a little longer before he is at ease with other people, especially those he does not see every day;
    He wants to be breastfed all day long, but doesn't really drink;
    He is craving for more physical contact;
    He cries more and more easily

Next one is due around 11.5 - 12.5 weeks.

God didn't know there was one around the 11.5. To 12. 5 week mark?
    Or did I???
    He's looking at his hands now it's lovely.
    he's 13 week s tomorrow it's flying by!

Thanks for the monitor info girls.

That wonder weeks seems spot on for how my fellow has been. Must look into the book. He noticed his hands recently too, so funny! He loves looking at them when I'm changing him, the mat has raised edges that hold his arms up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Downloaded the wonder weeks app. Very interesting it goes by due date instead of birth date. Seems to mirror quite closely what my little man is going thru. It says he's in the 12.5 week leap even though he's ten weeks. Hands are very interesting! He's also very clingy, crys being put down for naps no matter how much soothing in the cot and picking back up and putting back down I try, I have to bf him asleep. Then he panic screams when waking up without me there, and is impossible to settle back to sleep.

hi all, sligo went well he slept there and back, so proud of him, my oh family were smitten
    anyone been to the 3 month development check with the ph nurse
    if so whats involved, we got our appointment in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks for the info on the breast pumps monflat and madeinamerica. I stupidly forgot about my carpal tunnel - although it's much improved and atm still mainly affecting my right thumb, how in the name of god am I supposed to use a manual pump??? So decided to take the plunge and bought the medela double breast pump. Just waiting on delivery from amazon.de as it'smuch cheaper there, just have to get an adaptor.
    Just jumping in here, it's the same rule as drinking and driving, in general it takes 1 hour for your body to breakdown 1 unit of alcohol. It takes 30 mins after your first drink for alcohol levels to peak in your blood and your milk, and this extends to one hour if you are eating as well.

So if you want a glass of wine (1.5 units) and your baby will not need a feed for 2-3 hours after you drink, then it's absolutely fine.

Also, just so you know, there is very little reason to pump and dump unless you are feeling engorged. Think of it in the same way as alcohol in your blood, your body will naturally break in down

Edit: here's a good info source http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

That's interesting RentDayBlues although tbh I'd prob still dump a feed to be on the safe side. Have a Christmas night out with the girls on the 19th and want to let my hair down!

Respect to those going back to work so early, must be tough xxx

• Advertisement

hi all, sligo went well he slept there and back, so proud of him, my oh family were smitten
    anyone been to the 3 month development check with the ph nurse
    if so whats involved, we got our appointment in the post

Weight check
    Length check
    Head circumference

Lye baby down pull him \her up by arms to check head control.
    Lye on front check out if they making attempt to lift head.

Ask a.few questions about how he feeding
    I had mine this week he's borderline on his weight and she says she is concerned however I'm not he's slowly gaining weight like his older sisters and he's doin great.
    Why are they so bloody obsessed with weight
    It's not the indivuality of the baby but some generic weight chart

A headline of the paper during the week was saying how such a high proportion of toddlers are obese.

Anyway that's about all
    They give you advice on weaning too.

To be honest my phn is useless.

I asked had he tongue tie at 2 weeks she checked and Said no he has not as he had regained his birth weight.
    So when I told her that he had it she looked again and said oh right.
    She never asked how I was doin or anything likethat .
    A good one would ask!

Advertisement