Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Ah monflat she probably assumes you are doing grand cos it's your 3rd ;) but the PHNs are so hit and miss. I hated my first one, but have been assigned a different one this time and preferred her instantly!! She was a lot more down to Earth.

Gosh it's amazing that we are coming up to the 3 month mark already! Will be 12 weeks next Tuesday.

Went to smyths this morning to start on the Xmas shopping- it was manic there, had to queue for a trolley!! :o I thought it would be quiet during the day / week and it's not even December yet :) I guess I haven't been off this early before so maybe it's alwayd like that. I got most of what I needed there anyway, but had to make a quick exit when calvin woke up and started bawling!! He was in the sling. Just have one niece left to do so not too bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

monflat wrote: »
    Weight check

I had mine this week he's borderline on his weight and she says she is concerned however I'm not he's slowly gaining weight like his older sisters and he's doin great.
    Why are they so bloody obsessed with weight
    It's not the indivuality of the baby but some generic weight chart

A headline of the paper during the week was saying how such a high proportion of toddlers are obese.

I agree on the weight thing, I was totally freaked out by my doctor over A's weight a few weeks ago when turns out her gain was spot on. Dunno what her weight is now, she's not that chubby in fairness but she seems to be so long and I think that's where the weight is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Development check doesn't sound any different to his last few check ups
    I thought it might be different as I have to go to a different clinic
    All the nurses and the doctor I have seen have all told me not to worry about weight at this early stage
    He was 12 lb at his last check up but doesn't look chubby at all
    No doubt she will find some fault with what we are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks for the info on the breast pumps monflat and madeinamerica. I stupidly forgot about my carpal tunnel - although it's much improved and atm still mainly affecting my right thumb, how in the name of god am I supposed to use a manual pump??? So decided to take the plunge and bought the medela double breast pump. Just waiting on delivery from amazon.de as it'smuch cheaper there, just have to get an adaptor.

That's interesting RentDayBlues although tbh I'd prob still dump a feed to be on the safe side. Have a Christmas night out with the girls on the 19th and want to let my hair down!

Respect to those going back to work so early, must be tough xxx

Pumping and dumping doesn't remove the alcohol from your system, time does. So the only reason I've done it is when I've been away from baby. Enjoy the night out, I found a glass of water with each drink slowed me down and removed any possible hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Happy thanksgiving, comongethappy! Hope you had a nice day.

• Advertisement

Pumping and dumping doesn't remove the alcohol from your system, time does. So the only reason I've done it is when I've been away from baby. Enjoy the night out, I found a glass of water with each drink slowed me down and removed any possible hangover

Thanks RentDayBlues. Oh I'll be doing my best to avoid a hangover, that's one thing I don't miss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Happy thanksgiving, comongethappy! Hope you had a nice day.

Had a lovely day, despite AJ not taking any day time naps except 2 15 min snoozes, he was in great form. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving too!

Actually madeinamerica, have you had to use infants Tylenol yet? They don't give dosage instructions for babies under 2, saying you need to consult the doctor, but my doc said he wasn't familiar and couldn't advise, and the customer help line wouldn't advise either. I want to give it when he gets his jabs to ward off fever.

Took AJ to get vaccinations today at 10 weeks as my parents were over last week and I didn't want him in bad for when they came all the way over to see him. However, he had a slight temp so we have to go back Monday. Went to breastfeeding group for weigh in, he's up to 14 lbs 10 oz! They said I can cut back on the bottles more so will hopefully be able to go mostly breast only. Just need to keep slowly weaning off bottles.

Had a lovely day, despite AJ not taking any day time naps except 2 15 min snoozes, he was in great form. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving too!

Actually madeinamerica, have you had to use infants Tylenol yet? They don't give dosage instructions for babies under 2, saying you need to consult the doctor, but my doc said he wasn't familiar and couldn't advise, and the customer help line wouldn't advise either. I want to give it when he gets his jabs to ward off fever.

Took AJ to get vaccinations today at 10 weeks as my parents were over last week and I didn't want him in bad for when they came all the way over to see him. However, he had a slight temp so we have to go back Monday. Went to breastfeeding group for weigh in, he's up to 14 lbs 10 oz! They said I can cut back on the bottles more so will hopefully be able to go mostly breast only. Just need to keep slowly weaning off bottles.

I haven't used baby Tylenol yet, and I don't even have any in the apartment, bad mother! I had meant to make up a little baby first aid kit but haven't gotten around to it... I'll let you know if I get a pack.

Great to hear AJ is thriving and getting bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

My fab little guy has just slept from 12-6am! ! I'm stunned! Hopefully the start of better sleeps for mammy although we did have a very busy day yest, the mite! :-)

We even got a couple of 3hrs gaps between feeds lately too. For a chap who has been feeding at least every 2hrs, this is great. Almost 2 month s and think that I am seeing the light!

I love my tiny babs and don't want him to grow too fast but that first 7-8wks has been tough sometimes! # wreckedfirsttimer :-)

73trix wrote: »
    My fab little guy has just slept from 12-6am! ! I'm stunned! Hopefully the start of better sleeps for mammy although we did have a very busy day yest, the mite! :-)

We even got a couple of 3hrs gaps between feeds lately too. For a chap who has been feeding at least every 2hrs, this is great. Almost 2 month s and think that I am seeing the light!

I love my tiny babs and don't want him to grow too fast but that first 7-8wks has been tough sometimes! # wreckedfirsttimer :-)

It's such a relief isn't it!!!?? You really should be over the worst of it now. Well done for getting thru it!

• Advertisement

Another good nite considering we are in a strange (for babs) house - 10pm- 3am ; 3.30-7.30! It's so great! :-D

Has anyone got their period back yet? Babba is 8 wks. TMI sorry, but have has some CM in past few days so wondering if back ovulating. Guess I'll see how next couple wks go.... Am breastfeeding almost exclusively - odd formula bottle but he hasn't had one in nearly a week.

Btw..I didn't realise the shelf life of formula! Went to prepare one last night and thought the powder looked different and read box about using within 4 wks! My box is 6wk ( horror) but luckily no harm done . Could explain why he has been refusing it tho!?!

A will be 9 weeks tomorrow and I have to say I've enjoyed the last week so much. We've had a fair few poo up the back and through the clothes incidents and one incident of projectile vomiting that destroyed our bed, but that pales in comparison to having a little girl who is all coos and smiles, has stopped the evening cry sessions and has gone 6 hours between feeds the last 3 nights. Long may this last!!!

I'm bf exclusively and no sign of a period yet 73trix, but as my doc says I could still be ovulating so not taking any chances!

A has her injections tomorrow and I'm dreading it. I'll probably cry more than her! This might be a stupid question but do you have to pay for doctor visits for scheduled vaccines? I ask because I didn't get charged for her 6 week check up when I thought I would, so now I'm wondering does that apply to vaccines?

Another good nite considering we are in a strange (for babs) house - 10pm- 3am ; 3.30-7.30! It's so great! :-D

Has anyone got their period back yet? Babba is 8 wks. TMI sorry, but have has some CM in past few days so wondering if back ovulating. Guess I'll see how next couple wks go.... Am breastfeeding almost exclusively - odd formula bottle but he hasn't had one in nearly a week.

Btw..I didn't realise the shelf life of formula! Went to prepare one last night and thought the powder looked different and read box about using within 4 wks! My box is 6wk ( horror) but luckily no harm done . Could explain why he has been refusing it tho!?!

regarding the formula, if you only use one now and then, why not get the pre mixed ones, i used these when i went to visit family, didnt fancy bresast feeding in front of my uncles lol
    they are only a euro and you get 9 ounces in them roughly, handy for emergency, i have a couple in the changing bag now

Great news on your little one's sleep! A few hours shut eye makes everything better.

More than my guy these days. He wakes up about 3 times. For the past few weeks he's gone back to sleep after 15ish minutes and stayed asleep after transfer to his cot. But for the last few nights he wakes up going back into the cot, every time. So no sleep for mummy for hours! I think the cot might be cold to him going back in, temp has been dropping at night here. Resorted to letting him sleep on our bed at about 5-6am and he sleeps fine. Was a bit paranoid about letting him sleep there, but I've all the pillows, duvet and us away from him.

He's also peed through his gro bags the last two nights, just so much pee! Pampers swaddlers seemed OK but I've just started a box of pampers baby dry. Same size, number 1, but they seem to leak more, even during the day. Anyone else find this?

No period yet either, R will be 14 weeks on Tuesday, bf. Periods are so annoying, it's great to not have them now with everything else too.

BTW, Tylenol is basically the same as paracetamol in Ireland. If you can find baby paracetamol. A good pharmacist should be able to advise you on amount. Also, just fyi new research shows that using drugs to bring down fever etc after vaccines actually reduces the effect of the vaccines. The body needs to react to the vaccine to make the antibodies so by dampening down the body's response (drugs to calm fever etc) it doesn't make as many, or something. Our doc didn't recommend taking anything.

BTW, Tylenol is basically the same as paracetamol in Ireland. If you can find baby paracetamol. A good pharmacist should be able to advise you on amount. Also, just fyi new research shows that using drugs to bring down fever etc after vaccines actually reduces the effect of the vaccines. The body needs to react to the vaccine to make the antibodies so by dampening down the body's response (drugs to calm fever etc) it doesn't make as many, or something. Our doc didn't recommend taking anything.

Seriously? Oh god now I'm dreading the vaccines even more. Can't imagine letting her have a fever and not doing anything, I've yet to see her with a fever and worried about how to deal with it as it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Seriously? Oh god now I'm dreading the vaccines even more. Can't imagine letting her have a fever and not doing anything, I've yet to see her with a fever and worried about how to deal with it as it is :(

Ah.it's rarely they have reaction to the vaccines though.
    They sleep for ages afterwards.
    It's terrible on them but I think it's good to avail of vaccinations once they are free.
    I do know of some parents that choose not to vaccinate thou.

It's terrible on them but I think it's good to avail of vaccinations once they are free.

Regards to periods mine always came back around 6 weeks after finishing breastfeeding.

Regardin the nappies I've been using no 2 nappies more or less from day one they are cheaper than no 1 nappies (main reason)
    We get 12\13 hrs from no2 nappies at night time and I'm considering putting a no 3 on just for night time as they are more absorbant

Last time my period came back about 6 weeks after I finished breastfeeding aswell. A year to the day after my last one !!

While I'm still bfing for now, I think the little fella is getting a taste for the bottles he's getting from dad and is a lot more fussy with me :-/ and my supply goes all out of whack aswell. It was bound to happen I guess. We are building up to him taking the baby overnight to his place the night of my Christmas party in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Oh, yeah, sorry, didn't mean to scare you! Monflat is right. They rarely have a reaction we can see like fever, but givingTylenol etc events just in case does dampen the internal responses all the same. So your guy shouldn't suffer, I should word my posts better :/ sorry.

My guy was fine after the injections, no fever or anything, just slept a bit more. The injections are like a minute of awfulness but when its done give him something to suck on (boob or finger) and he'll calm right down :) he'll be over it before you are!

Regards to periods mine always came back around 6 weeks after finishing breastfeeding.

Regardin the nappies I've been using no 2 nappies more or less from day one they are cheaper than no 1 nappies (main reason)
    We get 12\13 hrs from no2 nappies at night time and I'm considering putting a no 3 on just for night time as they are more absorbant

Cheers. I've been using no 1s, just going by the weight of baby they say. He must be peeing like a 6 month old! I'll move up one.

Although I'm starting to try out cloth nappies now, just got some in a sale on Friday so I'll see how it goes. Would save us a lot of cash if we can work it but the washing might take over my life! Anyone use cloths?

Are you pumping, Karmella, when he's with his Dad? I'm going back to work in a week so will be pumping a lot and he'll be getting a bottle from his Dad. I'm worried my supply won't keep up.

We are on size 3 nappies
    Never had any leakage at all thankfully

When we went fur the vaccines I was in floods of tears luckily the oh had a warm bottle at the ready to distract him
    Nurse said to get some calpol just Im case but we didn't need it thankfully

Are you pumping, Karmella, when he's with his Dad? I'm going back to work in a week so will be pumping a lot and he'll be getting a bottle from his Dad. I'm worried my supply won't keep up.

I'm only manually pumping to relieve engorging really. He gets formula from his dad. Im sure if you have an electric pump you'll be fine!

Re the nappies the size ranges overlap a lot, the 1's are 2-5 kg, the 2's are 3-6 kg and so on. So if baby is at the higher end of the range id move up to the next ones.
    Fair dues for trying out the cloth nappies, I'd be allergic to the extra work!! I'm incredibly lazy though ;)

Karmella wrote: »
    I'm only manually pumping to relieve engorging really. He gets formula from his dad. Im sure if you have an electric pump you'll be fine!

Yeah, I've a double electric so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Great news on your little one's sleep! A few hours shut eye makes everything better.

More than my guy these days. He wakes up about 3 times. For the past few weeks he's gone back to sleep after 15ish minutes and stayed asleep after transfer to his cot. But for the last few nights he wakes up going back into the cot, every time. So no sleep for mummy for hours! I think the cot might be cold to him going back in, temp has been dropping at night here. Resorted to letting him sleep on our bed at about 5-6am and he sleeps fine. Was a bit paranoid about letting him sleep there, but I've all the pillows, duvet and us away from him.

He's also peed through his gro bags the last two nights, just so much pee! Pampers swaddlers seemed OK but I've just started a box of pampers baby dry. Same size, number 1, but they seem to leak more, even during the day. Anyone else find this?

No period yet either, R will be 14 weeks on Tuesday, bf. Periods are so annoying, it's great to not have them now with everything else too.

What weight is R at the moment? I don't know if the sizes run differently in the states, but size 1 here was up to 11, and size two 6 to 14 lbs, size 3 9 to 20 lbs. However, I found once AJ was 9.5, size two was needed for absorption. I have had him in size 3 since he was 12 lbs.

What weight is R at the moment? I don't know if the sizes run differently in the states, but size 1 here was up to 11, and size two 6 to 14 lbs, size 3 9 to 20 lbs. However, I found once AJ was 9.5, size two was needed for absorption. I have had him in size 3 since he was 12 lbs.

Ah, you're right. I just checked the packet, number 1 is 8 to 14 lbs, so sizes are different over here. He was 14 lb last time i weighed him. they are still fitting him, not looking a bit small on him but I guess they can't handle all the pee!

Well we survived the vaccinations. I felt so terrible as she was kicking away happy out on the table and next thing her face went red and she tried to cry but no sound came out at first. Now the nurse put both injections in the front of her thighs and left a streak of blood on each leg. I've been told this isn't normal? Anyway just glad it's over and she's protected with no side effects so far.

Well we survived the vaccinations. I felt so terrible as she was kicking away happy out on the table and next thing her face went red and she tried to cry but no sound came out at first. Now the nurse put both injections in the front of her thighs and left a streak of blood on each leg. I've been told this isn't normal? Anyway just glad it's over and she's protected with no side effects so far.

Oh god who told you that. Were they trying to scare you?

Really when you look at it
    The needle is piercing skin layer dermis layer and muscle layer.
    Area is full of blood vessels it has potential to bleed once needle is withdrawn.
    A drop of blood or a streak is nothing to worry about at all.

If it was continuous non stop bleeding I'd be worrying.
    But the injection site is muscle..

Hope she is fine after them.

• Advertisement

Oh dear god..we're up on Wednesday. (Shudder)

Advertisement