Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Well we survived the vaccinations. I felt so terrible as she was kicking away happy out on the table and next thing her face went red and she tried to cry but no sound came out at first. Now the nurse put both injections in the front of her thighs and left a streak of blood on each leg. I've been told this isn't normal? Anyway just glad it's over and she's protected with no side effects so far.

R's injections were in the front thighs too, right into the muscle. Not pleasant for the poor pet (or us) but th nurse said they need to go into the muscle. The nurse put little bandaids on after the injections and when I took them off a couple of days later there were spots of blood on them. So I guess a little blood it's normal?

It was awful to watch. But I tried to remind myself it's for the best. my dad's best friend had polio, spent his life in a wheel chair and died young. A few jabs are better, despite the tears (mine and R's TT)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I understand they need to go in the muscle but I guess my mil who was with me had me worked up saying they normally give them in the side of the thighs where there's more fat and that she'd never seem blood drawn before so she must have been rough. The joys of first time motherhood, not knowing what to believe!

Had an unsettled night last night but that's it, everything back to normal.

The joys of first time motherhood, not knowing what to believe!

Had an unsettled night last night but that's it, everything back to normal.

Exactly! It's so hard to know. And everyon else is an expert! (I'm guilty of that myself).

Glad your little one is back to normal now :)

monflat wrote: »
    Oh god who told you that. Were they trying to scare you?

You know monflat, sometimes it does feel like people are trying to scare you! It's all so new and you have people telling you all sorts. I know after the doctor put the thought in my head I'm still even subconsciously worrying about her weight - all it takes is one comment, which is why I try not to read too much or I'd have myself in knots over everything.

Glad R is fine too madeinamerica. Like you say it's better they have the few seconds of discomfort than end up with a debilitating disease.

Good luck today 73trix, just have the cuddles ready to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

You know monflat, sometimes it does feel like people are trying to scare you! It's all so new and you have people telling you all sorts. I know after the doctor put the thought in my head I'm still even subconsciously worrying about her weight - all it takes is one comment, which is why I try not to read too much or I'd have myself in knots over everything.

Glad R is fine too madeinamerica. Like you say it's better they have the few seconds of discomfort than end up with a debilitating disease.

Good luck today 73trix, just have the cuddles ready to go ;)
    the little comments do stick in your head, we had a check up yesterday cos my fellas testicles were not the same size at his 6 week check, she said they were fine yesterday, and as i was leaving she said if we are worried we can send him for an ultrasound, hmm why say that if they are fine, had me all confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

the little comments do stick in your head, we had a check up yesterday cos my fellas testicles were not the same size at his 6 week check, she said they were fine yesterday, and as i was leaving she said if we are worried we can send him for an ultrasound, hmm why say that if they are fine, had me all confused

FFS! Why indeed? Is it not up to GP to make a professional decision whether or not am ultrasound is needed? Whats this doc usually like?

My boy had his jabs yesterday. Oh dear, I found it v difficult! He roared and even the boob didn't calm him. After a good 10 mins I gave him a soother and once we got going in the car he calmed down and slept for a while. He was a bit unsettled for the day but better tonight and so far he has been sleeping fine tonight. Little mite. Jeez the size of the needle s tho....

73trix wrote: »
    FFS! Why indeed? Is it not up to GP to make a professional decision whether or not am ultrasound is needed? Whats this doc usually like?

My boy had his jabs yesterday. Oh dear, I found it v difficult! He roared and even the boob didn't calm him. After a good 10 mins I gave him a soother and once we got going in the car he calmed down and slept for a while. He was a bit unsettled for the day but better tonight and so far he has been sleeping fine tonight. Little mite. Jeez the size of the needle s tho....
    Doctor has been great over the last couple of years, I don't think she is great with babies tbh, my other half wasn't impressed with her at all.
    Glad your fella calmed down after his jabs, worth it in the long run, I tried my fella with a soother and he just spits it out and looks at me like I'm stupid, he was the same when I tried him with water, people are telling me to persist with the soother but I don't think I will bother
    So development check is next, something else to worry about

We've had an interesting few days. My other half is away with work since Monday morning so myself and R are home alone. First time I'm completely alone with him for more than a day. It's been going fine, i haven't gone nuts and he's still alive! It's also my last few days before I go back to work, so in a way it's been lovely just the two of us. I've been keeping super busy trying to make these last days count and testing out things for his dad to do with him when he's full time carer. Usual bf group, baby reading group in library (arrived as it was finishing cos my bloody bathroom flooded, whole other story), coffee with 3 mothers & babies after it (nice), baby music group in a toy shop (guy with a guitar, R was loving it), baby-friendly time slot at local cinema (Gone girl, v good, he slept a lot), another baby reading group in a book shop (meh) and weighed him in baby shop (15.4 lbs!! Chunkster!). One common thing with all these, there were no dads, just mums or nannies. Might be an issue for his dad :( R was really interested in all the new people and places though.

Managed to get a couple of loads of laundry done and feed myself too, although too much chocolate and not enough water, pretty dehydrated. I'd be lost without the sling!! Had to do a few crazy things, like wash my hair at 5am then got back into bed just because he was asleep then so I had the chance. It is hard with just one person, hats off to those who do it alone.

Today is officially my first day back at work. I'm bringing R in with me for the morning, there's no one else to mind him and I wanna show him off anyway!! His dad gets in at 11 tonight so tomorrow will be our first real day of me at work and dad at home. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Post pregnancy hair shedding has officially kicked off. Holy cr@p. I'd forgotten how bad it was! There's so much I could sell it to a wig factory :D

Sounds like you've had a lovely couple days with your little man madeinamerica :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

AJ got his jabs Tuesday, delayed crying on the first jab, and proper tears on the second, didn't calm down being bf at all, but started to 5 mins later.

I've been giving Tylenol for fever and pain, he seems to be quite sore in one of his thighs. Still has smiles and laughs but seems quite out of sorts during nap time barely sleeping and very difficult to settle and wakes up a bit more at night.

• Advertisement

First jabs on Wed. Cried for 10mins after. Boobs didn't sooth. Only getting back in car and driving. Ok after. Bit cranky that eve but slept Ok that nite.

Tough going for mammy!

Well done MiA.

Ps...

Is anyone else finding the Bfing increasingly awkward? Little man is 9 wks now. Hard to get a decent mouth to latch plus, given his recent fascination with his hands, hands and arms constantly get in the way! Exhausting!

Well done on getting through the jabs, they are so awful and stressful, poor bubs and poor mummies!

So I paid for my hyperactive week! Just so so wrecked yesterday, tired in my bones, went to bed at 8pm, me and R and both out like lights. Although of course he didn't stay asleep...

With the flailing hands, try getting him to grab your finger and then keep a hold of his hand while feeding, might help. My fella also takes breaks to grin up at me, grogeous but not much I can do about that!

I love it when he pauses and looks up with the glad eye :)

I've made the decision to start weaning him off my boobs - well at night time anyway. So when I'm giving him a bottle he's all 'what the hell is going on here??'. :)

He has just become so alert and funny the last couple days. My dad was here earlier and the two of them were having a full on gurgle & coo conversation- so adorable :) Hes getting ticklish too and I'm weak for his little giggles! He'll be 3 months on Tuesday and I just don't know where it's gone.

OMG! Little man has just slept 10.30pm - 5.30 am..Record so far! Sooo proud! :-

Fluke I'm sure... But will grab with both hands!
    :-)

Nice one, 73trix!

Anyone use soothers? Any tips for getting bubs to take a soother? We're having awful bother. We want him to take a soother for comfort as I'm back at work. Poor dad is trying hard but R has been quite unsettled when I'm away. Had to go to a work dinner last night for 3 hrs and he cried a lot despite being fed changed etc. Even with dad walking the floor with him and bouncing he was still upset and crying, which isn't like him. Dad was wrecked when I got home. He also isn't always keen on the bottle, sometimes he takes it and sometimes he won't.

A is ten weeks today and over the last 4 days her dad has been trying to feed her some expressed milk in a bottle. Dear god it's been a disaster. She absolutely refuses the bottle and just cries and cries :( she doesn't have a dummy either as she's had no need for it so far so she's probably like what the hell are you putting in my mouth dad??? Really hope she'll accept it but getting worried she won't!

I feel your pain, furbabymoma! It can be awful. I think our fella is getting worse with the bottle, sometimes he's fine and sometimes he freaks out. Have you tried another type of nipple?

I feel your pain, furbabymoma! It can be awful. I think our fella is getting worse with the bottle, sometimes he's fine and sometimes he freaks out. Have you tried another type of nipple?

So strange madeinamerica, but at least if he takes it sometimes now maybe he'll find it easier as he gets older x

We've tried the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature and the Medela Calma which is supposed to mimic the breast. The Calma is pointless unless she's prepared to latch, which she isn't. And I doubt she will as while the nipple may sit in the mouth in the same position as a real nipple as far as I'm concerned the teat is so solid it must feel completely unnatural to her.With the Closer to Nature even though she's screaming, her mouth sometimes clamps the teat causing a bit of milk to come out of hopefully she'll get the idea. Any tips/cheats welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

With regards to soother have you tried different brands.
    Have you tried it when baby has finished feeding and slip it in then when they sleepy /drowsy. Have you kept your finger on it to encourage them to get sucking motion.

However some babies just won't take them.
    My first wouldn't at.

My friend has 4 children
    None would take she tried all brands on each one of them.

With regards to make of bottle which seems to be a good one to switch between boob and bottle are the tommy tipee closer to nature.
    I've used on two children with great success!

• Advertisement

off for our 12 week development check now
    hope it goes ok

off for our 12 week development check now
    hope it goes ok

Just back from the ph nurse
    She is pleased with him, said he is doing well, seemed surprised I was still b feeding
    I was surprised at his weight 13lb 7
    She has referred him to doctor for a hip check, he has an extra crease in the back of one leg , she said 99% of time it's nothing but better to check

monflat wrote: »
    With regards to soother have you tried different brands.
    Have you tried it when baby has finished feeding and slip it in then when they sleepy /drowsy. Have you kept your finger on it to encourage them to get sucking motion.

However some babies just won't take them.
    My first wouldn't at.

My friend has 4 children
    None would take she tried all brands on each one of them.

With regards to make of bottle which seems to be a good one to switch between boob and bottle are the tommy tipee closer to nature.
    I've used on two children with great success!

Thanks. I might have one of those non-soother children. Apparently I wouldn't take a soother either.

We've tried three different brands and I've another one to try next. He'll suck happily away at his hands/sleeves but put a soother near him and he looks disgusted and pushes it out with his tongue. He sometimes makes little sucky faces when he sleeps, so I tried to sneak in a soother last night when he was doing this and he clammed up! pursed his little lips together while still asleep! little fecker is too smart for me. I have yet to try a bit of breastmilk on the soother, must give it a go.

Its more for his Dad's sake, he's getting a bit overwhelmed while I'm away. R is actually a quiet enough baby but I think Dad just has unrealistic expectations of what minding a 3 month old actually entails.

Thanks. I might have one of those non-soother children. Apparently I wouldn't take a soother either.

We've tried three different brands and I've another one to try next. He'll suck happily away at his hands/sleeves but put a soother near him and he looks disgusted and pushes it out with his tongue. He sometimes makes little sucky faces when he sleeps, so I tried to sneak in a soother last night when he was doing this and he clammed up! pursed his little lips together while still asleep! little fecker is too smart for me. I have yet to try a bit of breastmilk on the soother, must give it a go.

Its more for his Dad's sake, he's getting a bit overwhelmed while I'm away. R is actually a quiet enough baby but I think Dad just has unrealistic expectations of what minding a 3 month old actually entails.

Does he need a dummy ?
    My fella spat his out twice and we haven't bothered with it since

Does he need a dummy ?
    My fella spat his out twice and we haven't bothered with it since

Tbh, if i was at home full time I wouldn't be using one. But he has gotten pretty upset a couple of times with dad when I'm not there and dad is getting a bit overwhelmed sometimes with a crying baby. So we're hoping a soother will help with that.

(An evil part of me just thought maybe I should get dad to take the soother rather than R!!)

Tbh, if i was at home full time I wouldn't be using one. But he has gotten pretty upset a couple of times with dad when I'm not there and dad is getting a bit overwhelmed sometimes with a crying baby. So we're hoping a soother will help with that.

(An evil part of me just thought maybe I should get dad to take the soother rather than R!!)
    It was the same when my fella was left with his dad for a long period, he found a bit of distraction and a relaxed attitude works for him
    Even just moving rooms seem to make a big difference

Thanks, I'll tell him that. It's only early days yet so I'm sure he'll work it out.

Thanks, I'll tell him that. It's only early days yet so I'm sure he'll work it out.

It will take a bit of time for them to work each other out so to speak
    My other half was so nervous when I first went back to work
    He doesn't even think about it now
    They have their own little routine now

We don't use a soother either but at 10 weeks A has figured out how to get her thumb in her mouth and chew on it. We were thinking we should put a soother in instead so she doesn't become a thumb sucker but I asked at the health clinic and a breastfeeding meeting and they said not to bother. So torn!

What do you think of this btw: I went along to a bf meeting and was telling the leader about A's refusal to take the bottle. I said I have an Xmas nite out with my friends next Friday and really wanted to be able to go out for a few hours without worrying. Her response? "You don't have to go out "!!! Well the look she got from me! I thought that was so ott. It's not like I'm dumping the baby and heading to Marbella for 2 weeks. I haven't been away from her since she was born, i don't think anyone should be made feel like a bad mother for wanting a few hours for themselves. In fact I think it's healthy. With the number of women developing pnd you'd think they'd be encouraging women to take a little break every now and again just to remember you are a person as well as a mother!

• Advertisement

We don't use a soother either but at 10 weeks A has figured out how to get her thumb in her mouth and chew on it. We were thinking we should put a soother in instead so she doesn't become a thumb sucker but I asked at the health clinic and a breastfeeding meeting and they said not to bother. So torn!

What do you think of this btw: I went along to a bf meeting and was telling the leader about A's refusal to take the bottle. I said I have an Xmas nite out with my friends next Friday and really wanted to be able to go out for a few hours without worrying. Her response? "You don't have to go out "!!! Well the look she got from me! I thought that was so ott. It's not like I'm dumping the baby and heading to Marbella for 2 weeks. I haven't been away from her since she was born, i don't think anyone should be made feel like a bad mother for wanting a few hours for themselves. In fact I think it's healthy. With the number of women developing pnd you'd think they'd be encouraging women to take a little break every now and again just to remember you are a person as well as a mother!

Jeez, that was really supportive alright! This is one of the was reasons I was hesitant to go to a breat feeding meeting. Especially as his dad was already feeding him bottles. Maybe they would've been fine and lovely but I'm feeling guilty enough as it is without throwing that in the mix. (My guilt is more about our break up though not feeding)

My 4 year old's tantrums are getting worse, none of them are directed towards baby, I sometimes worry that he's ocd cos he loses the rag over the slightest thing being done the 'wrong ' way. I just feel defeated from the daily battle of wills. But the other day baby discovered his reflection in the mirror and began to laugh!! It was soooooo cute!
    And he also starts to cry with fright when I sneeze. It is the funniest thing to watch him look startled and then the lip quivers and his face goes all sad and he's off. Adorable :)

Sorry Furbabymomma I've no real advice on how to get your few hours away :( just keep persevering with a bottle but maybe do it when baby is relaxed and not starving for a feed?

Advertisement