Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

FurBabyMomma I'm not surprised that you got an answer like that. God I can't believe that people are so narrow minded you need a life and it does not end once you have a baby.
    Like come on no wonder Ireland has low bf rates if they condone a mother goin outside door for a fee hrs without baby.
    Also regarding the soother some of those die hards don't agree with them at all. Well they should keep their personal opinions to themselves. !
    Babies love to suck but some of us can't afford time to let them hang from boob 24-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

That woman was a bit harsh, nothing wrong with either parent having a break in my opinion
    Are you using the tommee tippee closer to nature, my fella doesn't mind them at all, he does make a fuss if he can smell me though but if I'm not there he will take it no problem

As for the chewing, my fella is biting his whole fist so we got him this

http://www.heybaby.ie/index.php?id_product=129&controller=product

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

What a great idea :) my fella is chewing his fists aswell.

Karmella wrote: »
    What a great idea :) my fella is chewing his fists aswell.

it is a bit pricey i think 30 euro but its well made and the teething ring comes out for now so he chews away on the ears
    he seems to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

We don't use a soother either but at 10 weeks A has figured out how to get her thumb in her mouth and chew on it. We were thinking we should put a soother in instead so she doesn't become a thumb sucker but I asked at the health clinic and a breastfeeding meeting and they said not to bother. So torn!

What do you think of this btw: I went along to a bf meeting and was telling the leader about A's refusal to take the bottle. I said I have an Xmas nite out with my friends next Friday and really wanted to be able to go out for a few hours without worrying. Her response? "You don't have to go out "!!! Well the look she got from me! I thought that was so ott. It's not like I'm dumping the baby and heading to Marbella for 2 weeks. I haven't been away from her since she was born, i don't think anyone should be made feel like a bad mother for wanting a few hours for themselves. In fact I think it's healthy. With the number of women developing pnd you'd think they'd be encouraging women to take a little break every now and again just to remember you are a person as well as a mother!

Arragh jaysus wtf?! Does she want you chained to the kitchen sink too with A on the boob 24-7? You're bloody right, don't listen to that rubbish. A bit of a break for yourself will do you the world of good and sure that can only be good for your baby too. Enjoy your night and Im sure she'll take the bottle soon.

• Advertisement

Karmella wrote: »
    Jeez, that was really supportive alright! This is one of the was reasons I was hesitant to go to a breat feeding meeting. Especially as his dad was already feeding him bottles. Maybe they would've been fine and lovely but I'm feeling guilty enough as it is without throwing that in the mix. (My guilt is more about our break up though not feeding)

My 4 year old's tantrums are getting worse, none of them are directed towards baby, I sometimes worry that he's ocd cos he loses the rag over the slightest thing being done the 'wrong ' way. I just feel defeated from the daily battle of wills. But the other day baby discovered his reflection in the mirror and began to laugh!! It was soooooo cute!
    And he also starts to cry with fright when I sneeze. It is the funniest thing to watch him look startled and then the lip quivers and his face goes all sad and he's off. Adorable :)

Sorry Furbabymomma I've no real advice on how to get your few hours away :( just keep persevering with a bottle but maybe do it when baby is relaxed and not starving for a feed?

AW karmella don't be beating yourself up over the breakup. It sounds like you are doing a fab job with your two kiddies, no need for guilt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

That woman was a bit harsh, nothing wrong with either parent having a break in my opinion
    Are you using the tommee tippee closer to nature, my fella doesn't mind them at all, he does make a fuss if he can smell me though but if I'm not there he will take it no problem

How do you find the mitten?

We don't use a soother either but at 10 weeks A has figured out how to get her thumb in her mouth and chew on it. We were thinking we should put a soother in instead so she doesn't become a thumb sucker but I asked at the health clinic and a breastfeeding meeting and they said not to bother. So torn!

What do you think of this btw: I went along to a bf meeting and was telling the leader about A's refusal to take the bottle. I said I have an Xmas nite out with my friends next Friday and really wanted to be able to go out for a few hours without worrying. Her response? "You don't have to go out "!!! Well the look she got from me! I thought that was so ott. It's not like I'm dumping the baby and heading to Marbella for 2 weeks. I haven't been away from her since she was born, i don't think anyone should be made feel like a bad mother for wanting a few hours for themselves. In fact I think it's healthy. With the number of women developing pnd you'd think they'd be encouraging women to take a little break every now and again just to remember you are a person as well as a mother!

Crazy. This attitude drives me nuts. Healthy for mothers to get a break. Happy mammy = happy baby.

73trix wrote: »
    How do you find the mitten?

its very good, he loves it, i have taken out the teething ring for now

Baby in bed.
    Older 2 gone out with daddy.
    Sunday paper +lunch =peace
    Bath ready to jump into = luxury.

Oh the feeling of relaxation is only brilliant.

I know it sounds trivial but today is the first day in weeks I could draw my breath and think!!!

• Advertisement

monflat wrote: »
    Baby in bed.
    Older 2 gone out with daddy.
    Sunday paper +lunch =peace
    Bath ready to jump into = luxury.

Oh the feeling of relaxation is only brilliant.

I know it sounds trivial but today is the first day in weeks I could draw my breath and think!!!

That's great. You deserve it.

just back from my first post babba swim and it was sheer heaven! Also my babs had a 6.5 hr sleep last night - 2.30am -9am- which set me up to actually go for the swim! I ve been wanting to go for about 2 wks but never made it. :-)

Felt a little emotional cos it was a big routine during second half of my pregnancy and I swam til 38wks. Used to be thinking ahead about having babs etc and today went back for 1 st time in 13 wks with babs here and all great and as a mammy etc. Kinda surreal..

I am stunned! I had to wake up babs this morning as he slept from 10-7! He is only 10 weeks. I actually got a fright when I saw the time. My boobs were agony! This is odd surely! I'm hoping he's not coming down with something but fed well and seems Ok. Poor babba went 9 hrs without feed tho. The absolute max he has slept is 6.5 hrs til now. I can't believe I actually had to wake a sleeping babe!

I am stunned! I had to wake up babs this morning as he slept from 10-7! He is only 10 weeks. I actually got a fright when I saw the time. My boobs were agony! This is odd surely! I'm hoping he's not coming down with something but fed well and seems Ok. Poor babba went 9 hrs without feed tho. The absolute max he has slept is 6.5 hrs til now. I can't believe I actually had to wake a sleeping babe!

That's great. Enjoy it now he's beginning to stretch out a bit. Take advantage of it!
    It's such a great feeling

Ah lovely! Great baba! Wish mine would sleep 6.5, never mind 9. Hope your boobs feel OK :)

well looks like the routine is finally starting for you
    enjoy

well looks like the routine is finally starting for you
    enjoy

in true style we had a disaster last nite - wide awake from 3am! Ah well. Will treasure the memories....

just a quick question
    when we went to the 12 week check, the ph nurse said we shouldnt introduce solid food till 6 months as he is 80-90% breast fed
    i was expecting to be feeding him at 4 months
    any thoughts

just a quick question
    when we went to the 12 week check, the ph nurse said we shouldnt introduce solid food till 6 months as he is 80-90% breast fed
    i was expecting to be feeding him at 4 months
    any thoughts

Yes around 6 months my oldest was about 23 24 weeks

Second was around 25 weeks.
    They won't show interest in you eating until then anyway.

.depends on baby but I.wouldn't really introduce before 20 weeks.

Some don't take to it at all others do.
    It's more taste and texture until a year old.
    Back in my day when I was young my mother said they had to introduce egg whites at 16 weeks.
    AAAH

Back in my day when I was young my mother said they had to introduce egg whites at 16 weeks.
    AAAH

Yeah I've been told 6 months as well, as their little systems aren't ready for it before then.

I'm afraid to ask my mother when she started us on solids... it was advised so early back then! probably due to the same thinking that breast milk wasn't enough or something.

R has been doing ok with sleep recently, down at about 8, wake at 11ish for half hour, down again till 4ish then wake for the day at 6 or 7. Last night he slept ok at first then from about 1am he was awake about every hour or half hour. I lost track on my app. He would just keep waking up about a half hour after putting him down. eventually I caved and brought him into bed with me and he slept then for about 2 hrs till 7am. I'm zonked today and I've to meet my boss in an hour. On the plus side, one of my coworkers has brought in a zillion home made christmas cookies of all varieties. Sugar!!!

• Advertisement

R has been doing ok with sleep recently, down at about 8, wake at 11ish for half hour, down again till 4ish then wake for the day at 6 or 7. Last night he slept ok at first then from about 1am he was awake about every hour or half hour. I lost track on my app. He would just keep waking up about a half hour after putting him down. eventually I caved and brought him into bed with me and he slept then for about 2 hrs till 7am. I'm zonked today and I've to meet my boss in an hour. On the plus side, one of my coworkers has brought in a zillion home made christmas cookies of all varieties. Sugar!!!

Similar to my nite! No sugar but nice lunch out and them Santa for babs! P lease let get a better sleep tonite.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Same here ladies, little man had a 9 hr sleep one day, just needing resettling at 4.5 hrs. However, last 3 nights awake every 30 mins to an hour, have to put in Soother and hold his hand till he falls back asleep, can take 5 - 20 mins. Normally he just has soother in till he starts to fall asleep and then I take it out as he can wake if it falls out under the night. However, I haven't had energy under night to stay up till he is asleep enough to take out which probably doesn't help. Haven't been letting him try to self soothe as hubby needs sleep for work, only gets 5-6 hours as it is. I'm shattered.

Naps have improved though. His smile when he wakes up is worth the exhaustion though :) . But hope night sleep improves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

AAAH

They say 6 months is best as they have all the enzymes required for digestion. However, I know one of the PHN told my SIL to start at 4 months as her baby had very bad silent reflux.

I am thinking that I might start the odd taste of plain fruit and veg at 5 months, and see how it goes and start adding a bit more around 5 and a half months. I wouldn't start protein or gluten or yogurt till 6 months though.

I hear you, my mom started us at 3 months on gerber jars and my aunt had exclaimed she couldn't wait till her grandson was 3 months to put rice in his bottle as he was a hungry baby. Tried explaining how it wasn't recommended anymore, didn't go over well. She said it was fine for her kids, but they all have a whole list of food allergies- I just held my tongue!

How are September babies doing at nite? Am I the only one who's babe is still up once/twice? His 9 hrs marathon was, as I thought, a fluke! Last nite got 10.30-4.15 and then 7.30 so best since then. Little man is 11wks. We have been putting him down between 10 and 11pm. Hoping to start phasing that back to 7.30/8
    Ish after Xmas. No point til then as he'll be swapping houses all over Xmas!

At breast feeding gp yest. Most babbas of similar age or younger reported to be sleep ing thro nite now bar mine :-/
    At least his weight is fine 14 lb 8 oz so not starving him!

What is your sleep routine and how old is babs and are you still bfing?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

How are September babies doing at nite? Am I the only one who's babe is still up once/twice? His 9 hrs marathon was, as I thought, a fluke! Last nite got 10.30-4.15 and then 7.30 so best since then. Little man is 11wks. We have been putting him down between 10 and 11pm. Hoping to start phasing that back to 7.30/8

At breast feeding gp yest. Most babbas of similar age or younger reported to be sleep ing thro nite now bar mine :-/

My boy is 14.5 weeks and I'm weaning him off my boobs, so he kinda gets every second feed from a bottle maybe. Whether he's had a bottle or boob he's still waking during the night. Routine roughly is I try to put him down between 8 & 9 so I can do bedtime stories with my older boy. then there'd be another feed around 11/12. However after this there is no consistency- he could sleep til 5/6 or he could wake at 2,4,6.

I can't believe that all those other babies are sleeping thru the night!! They are spoofing I'd say :D

My little lad is teething fierce is awake from 130 \2am till 4am every morning for past 2 weeks.
    It's exhausting. God help him.
    I use the teetha granules so it makes a bit of a difference.
    He's obviously a night time teether.
    I've weaned him off now.
    I just could not do anymore.
    I gave him my best and that was it. things just got too busy here as because he had tongue tie and because lack of knowledge of phn etc led to an initial misdiagnosis.

So for weeks I was pumping off one and feeding off the otherside . Double work sterilising bottles pump had to come every where with me I had enough.
    I was spending all my time feeding pumping or sterilising and my other two children were feeling the lack of attention even thou they wererright beside me.

Ithink was an emotional experience thinking about giving it up but once I done it it was fine.
    I was more emotional finishing up feeding with my first than I was with my third as I.will never breastfeed again.

But there are many exciting stages yet to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Hello ladies! Long time no hear, how are all the babas?! Joshua is 14 weeks this Monday, teething like mad, on hungry milk 210ml and is a stone in weight! Little monster! Loving mammy life, the smiles the hugs & kisses, I can't get enough!

He's so heavy my back is quite achey! I have to stop lifting him so much!

I was actually wondering because he's such a huge appetite will he need to move onto solids sooner than 6 months?! Also wondering about putting him in a jumperoo for Christmas? He's strong and he has good head control but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Hello ladies! Long time no hear, how are all the babas?! Joshua is 14 weeks this Monday, teething like mad, on hungry milk 210ml and is a stone in weight! Little monster! Loving mammy life, the smiles the hugs & kisses, I can't get enough!

He's so heavy my back is quite achey! I have to stop lifting him so much!

I was actually wondering because he's such a huge appetite will he need to move onto solids sooner than 6 months?! Also wondering about putting him in a jumperoo for Christmas? He's strong and he has good head control but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

That's great your getting on brilliant!
    Time will tell if he needs solids earlier a lot of babies do as it's hard to hold out until 6 months.

I tried the jumperoo when my second was five months or so as she was getting bored in bouncer etc. But at that time it was way too soon for her.

She had great head control from birth but she was lost in it.
    You could try baby in it you will soon find out quick enough!!!

Ah I'd take reports of those babies sleeping through the night with a pinch of salt, tbh. They're too young still, unless there is a genetic wonder child or they're the far side of the house... My fella goes down between 7-8, either he wakes or we wake him to change him around 10, back down 11ish till 2ish, up for a 10 min feed then sleep til 4 or 5, for another short feed then he wakes up for the day between 6-7. Although for a few nights last week, he changed to waking every half hour from 1 to 7. Awful. I was dead on my feet in work. Thankfully he's back to 'normal' again.

I'm breastfeeding and he gets breast milk in bottles when I'm at work. We don't have any intentional bed time routine really, one of us walks him to sleep in the evening that's all. He's 16 weeks. In thinking of getting his dad to bottle feed him one night. I've been doing the nights myself and I haven't had a nights sleep since august, it's beginning to really build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I have tried not to listen to what 'everyone else's baby is doing so much any more or I'd be driven mad! A is 11 weeks and this week she has either gone 8 hours at night or else (like tonight lol) woken at exactly 5.20am for a feed.

PS We had a death in the family so missed almost a week of bottle training. Made the decision to skip the Xmas nite out as it just wasn't worth the risk of travelling nearly an hour just to have to turn around and come back again. But I would forgive A anything so there's always next year ;-)

Advertisement