Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Karmella wrote: »
    We've the development check on Thursday - he'll be 4 months on Friday!

Anyone attempting to wean yet? Tried him with a little bit of puréed butternut squash today :) he kinda just left it in his mouth not very sure what to do with it but he swallowed it eventually so that's amazing! Was only 2-3 spoonfuls, I'm so proud. He seemed to like it too! He has been eating his fingers constantly for the last couple weeks and he's also been watching me eat with great interest and sticking out his tongue, so figured what the hell, give it a go.

Roasted the squash and blitzed it with some breast milk I'd frozen. I was given a load of annabel karmel books last time but never really did much with them, but been reading them for the last week. When I went back to work I was very lazy & just gave E jars and as a result his palate was ruined (no flavours) and now he eats nothing for me - unless it's a carb or dairy. :/ Determined not to make the same mistakes with C.

I'm enjoying C so much though- he's just a bundle of cuteness & giggles! E is 4 today, can't believe it. :o
    We were told not to try weaning our fella till 6 months as he is 90% breast fed
    She said the digestive system won't be ready, not sure if this is a new thing or not

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

We were told not to try weaning our fella till 6 months as he is 90% breast fed
    She said the digestive system won't be ready, not sure if this is a new thing or not

They seem to love changing the guidelines... We are at 17 weeks and that used to be the earliest recommended time. Obviously if it doesn't seem to agree with him I'll hold off, I don't think a couple spoons once a day is going to do much harm though. Quite often ive heard that they recommend starting earlier with refluxy babies. I'm also no longer breastfeeding since a week before Christmas. I'll talk it over with the PHN on Thursday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

They seem to love changing the guidelines... We are at 17 weeks and that used to be the earliest recommended time. Obviously if it doesn't seem to agree with him I'll hold off, I don't think a couple spoons once a day is going to do much harm though. Quite often ive heard that they recommend starting earlier with refluxy babies. I'm also no longer breastfeeding since a week before Christmas. I'll talk it over with the PHN on Thursday anyway.

I was recommended 6 months too. I'm still bf. I think they are newer guidelines alright. Tbh it actually suits us to keep with milk as at the moment things are a bit nuts with me back at work and hubby trying to do some work in the evenings himself, so weaning would be a bit much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I didn't realise how short tummy time was
    We were leaving out fella for five minutes, the nurse at the dev check told us a minute at a time will do once he lifts his head then pick him up

Seriously??? I thought it was a minute at a time as a small baby and that the time should be built up? How will baby ever learn to push up on hands or crawl from a minute at a time? I'll ask my Phn on Thursday.

Wont be giving A food til 6 months either as those seem to be the guidelines now. Still working on getting her to accept a bottle of expressed milk! This evening she had one boob followed by one ounce expressed that she swallowed for the first time and this was the immediate result...

Seriously??? I thought it was a minute at a time as a small baby and that the time should be built up? How will baby ever learn to push up on hands or crawl from a minute at a time? I'll ask my Phn on Thursday.

Wont be giving A food til 6 months either as those seem to be the guidelines now. Still working on getting her to accept a bottle of expressed milk! This evening she had one boob followed by one ounce expressed that she swallowed for the first time and this was the immediate result...

Aww Furbabymomma she's gorgeous!

• Advertisement

That is one determined little lady :)

I've been leaving R down for tummy time until he gets upset. He was useless at the start, hated being on his tummy and would cry almost immediately. But he lasts a few minutes now and sometimes just lies there flat out, chilling and talking to himself. Not building much muscle! He's a bit of a lazy sod.

We had our 4 month check yesterday. Doc was happy with him in general. He has started making strange a bit with people so I was a bit worried he'd go off but she was great and had him chatting away with her by the end. He's a wee chubster for sure, he's 72nd percentile for weight and only 38th for height. He's been waking up several times a night this last 2 weeks, she said he probably doesn't need feeding every time, just comfort him without the boob most times and he'll probably stop. Also we should not rock him to sleep every time we put him down. I don't think he's gone to sleep by himself once yet. We are bad for that. I'm not keen on the cry-it-out method and when asked she said she doesn't like it so I was glad she wasn't going to advise that. (I don't know how popular that is in Ireland? Here it is very popular but I think it is more due to the fact that mothers have to go back to work at 6/8/10 weeks and are so sleep deprived they have to do something.)

He's getting a bit of nappy rash and a bit of eczema on his chest, so she advised going back to just water instead of wipes and to use dove soap instead of baby wash. Then of course the dreaded vaccines! Two injections in the legs and one oral liquid. Poor cratur, I felt so bad for him. I had to hold him down again *shudder* His poor da was gone pale and pasty in the corner! He can't stand needles at all. R was harder to console this time but did quiet down after some boob and rocking and singing. Dad went for a long walk with him in the stroller so he'd sleep after it and I hope it did him good. He's been a bit cranky since, woke up a lot during the night but not too bad.

good luck for your checks with the nurse on Thursday! when are the next vaccines for ye?

double post

That's handy that you had all the appointments together! Glad that it all went well. Need to make a vax appointment for next week... Last ones were fine so hopefully these won't be bad either.

Had to put my little man to bed there with some calpol he was just screaming for nearly 2 hrs. His gums are at him and nothing would calm him. :(

I'm bad for tummy time, I forget to do it!! Must make a better effort, especially as he has such good head control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have to go back end of Jan for AJ's 4 month vaccs as I was late getting the 1st set w/ my parents coming over.

Getting to sleep seems to be going a bit better again. But where as he was sleeping for long stretches 5-8 hrs, he has started to wake up every 2.5 hrs now every other night. He refuses soother and cuddles / rocking won't work, only breastfeeding him back to sleep works. Not sure if this us because I am down to only 3 top ups now, about 6-7 oz formula total a day, the rest bf? I have to feed about every hour and a half during the day, he's a very hungry man. He is up to 17 lbs.

His teeth are at him big time. Fine mornings, but very cranky and sore evening and night. Have been giving a half dose of Tylenol twice a day, and Teetha granules.

Food wise, I have let him have little tastes of food I am eating if mild enough and he is showing interest trying to get it. Things like banana, mash potato, carrot, or veg soup. I just put a little on the tip of my finger for him to lick or gum. I think once he's four months I am going to put some frozen steamed pear in one of those nibbler holders with the holes for him to ease the teething pain. Still going to try to hold off proper solids via spoon till at least 5 months.

Thanks Karmella, not the most flattering photo of her to be fair but she's still my cute little bug :D Hope your little lad had a lovely birthday x

• Advertisement

at our last development check the nurse said our fella had an extra crease on the back of his leg
    they sent an appointment to see a doctor which we attended today, she did a full development check again and said he is fine, what im wondering is why we had to see a different doctor and not our gp
    seems a bit odd
    anyway she said he has to go for an x-ray to check his hips, she thinks they are fine but its a new rule apparently

15 lb 4
    i thought he was getting heavy lol

Well as I suspected there is just no consistency across the country / world ;) The PHN just asked was he ready to eat and I said yeah he's ravenous and she gave me a leaflet on weaning :)

He's 5.7 kg which is only 12.5lb I thought he'd be heavier for some reason. and 61cm. She said its all good anyway.

at our last development check the nurse said our fella had an extra crease on the back of his leg
    they sent an appointment to see a doctor which we attended today, she did a full development check again and said he is fine, what im wondering is why we had to see a different doctor and not our gp
    seems a bit odd
    anyway she said he has to go for an x-ray to check his hips, she thinks they are fine but its a new rule apparently

15 lb 4
    i thought he was getting heavy lol

Extra crease? I didn't know babies had a certain number of leg creases! Best of luck with the x ray :) Im sure it'll be fun trying to keep baby still. When R got his kidneys scanned it helped to have him sucking something.

Extra crease? I didn't know babies had a certain number of leg creases! Best of luck with the x ray :) Im sure it'll be fun trying to keep baby still. When R got his kidneys scanned it helped to have him sucking something.

The creases are meant to line up on each leg,and have the same number it signals hip problems in later life (hip dysplacia)
    I'm dreading the X-ray as my fella never stays still, even sleeping his legs fly up and bang down, thankfully we have a sleeping bag for him otherwise he would have no covers on at night

Well as I suspected there is just no consistency across the country / world ;) The PHN just asked was he ready to eat and I said yeah he's ravenous and she gave me a leaflet on weaning :)

OK so yesterday my PHN said that weaning can start from 4 months for bottle fed babies and 6 months for breast fed. Maybe that's where all the confusion is arising? Anyway A is bf so no weaning for a while yet - I'm relieved if I'm honest as I'm not prepared!

PHN is happy with A's development. Still only a little one at 11lb 14oz at 14 weeks and 58cm but in the 25th centile now, when she was lower down at 6 weeks. She was happy with her lifting her head on her tummy (she's always had a strong head sitting up) and I was so relieved I forgot to ask how long her tummy time should last!

OK so yesterday my PHN said that weaning can start from 4 months for bottle fed babies and 6 months for breast fed. Maybe that's where all the confusion is arising? Anyway A is bf so no weaning for a while yet - I'm relieved if I'm honest as I'm not prepared!

PHN is happy with A's development. Still only a little one at 11lb 14oz at 14 weeks and 58cm but in the 25th centile now, when she was lower down at 6 weeks. She was happy with her lifting her head on her tummy (she's always had a strong head sitting up) and I was so relieved I forgot to ask how long her tummy time should last!

Yeah that's right, I did say we were told 6 months due to him being 90% bf
    We were told his digestive system wouldn't be ready yet
    Our fella goes mad when we are eating
    I had a banana the other day he was getting excited the poor fella
    2 teeth almost down, hope they hurry up he is in pain most evenings now 😪

Yeah but I was bf-ing until 3 weeks ago and I told her this. That's what I mean about no consistency :) Anyway I'll ease into it, but it's so funny to watch him eyeball every morsel I put into my mouth.

Yeah but I was bf-ing until 3 weeks ago and I told her this. That's what I mean about no consistency :) Anyway I'll ease into it, but it's so funny to watch him eyeball every morsel I put into my mouth.

You were bf and you got him to take the bottle? I'm sooo envious, A still spits it out like I'm trying to poison her, even though it's expressed milk.

You were bf and you got him to take the bottle? I'm sooo envious, A still spits it out like I'm trying to poison her, even though it's expressed milk.

Oh is she still hating it? To be honest I had him taking bottles early on so his dad could look after him and towards the end he was actually preferring the bottle I think :( Even though he only got them at the weekend. I feel a bit guilty for letting it go when he fed so well for me, but circumstances won over in the end. Pain in the arse now making bottles. Especially as he still wants to feed on demand and only drinks a couple of ounces at a time.

I don't know if it was the fact he's combined fed since a few days or if it's the brand, but I have found the MAM bottles great. They are anti colic, meant for bf moms, and self sterilise too so it's brill if you only use bottles now and again. It might be a matter of trying a few different brands. Or you could need a teat with a slower or faster flow, depending on how fast your let down is. Or A just wants mommy and nothing else will do ;)

However, got the MAM manual pump, and it was such a waste. I would get more milk hand expressing :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, I agree with the no consistency. A couple of the PHN's in the bf group have advised some people from 20 weeks, some 6 months. But they may be taking into consideration when mum has to go back to work as well.

Also, with sleeping and self soothing, I was told by one I should have started AJ at three months and another told me he's too young. I feed to sleep at bedtime and nap which I was told is a bad sleep association to encourage, but he crys and sometimes screams when I try to soothe him to sleep in cot or even half the time in my aems. I think I will try 17th of Jan when he is four months proper, the screams he does sometimes just break my heart :(

I don't know if it was the fact he's combined fed since a few days or if it's the brand, but I have found the MAM bottles great. They are anti colic, meant for bf moms, and self sterilise too so it's brill if you only use bottles now and again. It might be a matter of trying a few different brands. Or you could need a teat with a slower or faster flow, depending on how fast your let down is. Or A just wants mommy and nothing else will do ;)

However, got the MAM manual pump, and it was such a waste. I would get more milk hand expressing :(

I heard a few people recommend those MAM bottles but I couldn't get my hands on them but seeing as I've heard it again from you too comongethappy I've bitten the bullet and ordered them online, I'll let you know how I get on ;)

I heard a few people recommend those MAM bottles but I couldn't get my hands on them but seeing as I've heard it again from you too comongethappy I've bitten the bullet and ordered them online, I'll let you know how I get on ;)

I hope they work for you and it's not more money down the drain, little ones are expensive enough!

It's funny, I got the MAM soothers as well, but because the teat is the same as the bottle, AJ would just get frustrated there was no food! Fortunately I had gotten a free Nuk and he took to that. You just never know before you try!

I hope they work for you and it's not more money down the drain, little ones are expensive enough!

It's funny, I got the MAM soothers as well, but because the teat is the same as the bottle, AJ would just get frustrated there was no food! Fortunately I had gotten a free Nuk and he took to that. You just never know before you try!

I think part of the problem is that she doesn't have a soother either as she didn't seem to need one. So she's just not used to having anything in her mouth that's not my boob or her fingers!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How are your nights going ladies? We are moving our boy's bedtime forward gradually from 10.00/10.30 to 9 ish to 8 ish. Last nite was 8.30 - the earliest to date. He sleeps til 4 30 us for a feed and then til 9am ish which bi expect will move to 8 ish soon. Reluctant to move much earlier for now as I'm a v bad morning person so 8am would be early enough for me for now! Babs is 14.5 wks. Still bfing all bar one feed of formula at nite.

A goes down with us around 11. The she'll either sleep the night until 8am or wake for a feed around 5.30am. I've heard sleep can start to regress at around 4 months so enjoying this as long as it lasts :D

A goes down with us around 11. The she'll either sleep the night until 8am or wake for a feed around 5.30am. I've heard sleep can start to regress at around 4 months so enjoying this as long as it lasts :D

I have hit the regression - back to every 2-4 hr sleeps. Hard after having a good spell previously!

Oh my God I was reading those sleep posts with such envy! He was only waking once or twice a night but just before Christmas he started walking every hour or two. He was only sleeping half hour or 45 min a at a time some nights. Now it's a bit better, sleeps 8ish to 10 ish, 11 ish to 1 ish, then could be every half hour till 6am when he's awake for the day. I've been bringing him into bed with me from about 5am the last few nights as I just can't do it. He's 20 weeks today. I think it's the 4 month regression, he was 4 months on Dec 26th. Enjoy those lovely long sleep times while you can!!

Urgh sp not looking forward to sleep regression!!! Don't think I'll be able to cope so hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones and escape it.

Tried the MAM bottle last nite, it was better in that there was no projectile vomiting but she still roared and spat up every bit. It's so upsetting and stressful to put her through it but we have no choice but to keep doing it every day til it works now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Stupid question about christening outfits. Are they unisex? Just received a lend of one from family. It's a dress and I have a boy. I think it'd too small anyway. Where can I get one and should I get a special blanket too?

Advertisement