Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

73trix wrote: »
    Stupid question about christening outfits. Are they unisex? Just received a lend of one from family. It's a dress and I have a boy. I think it'd too small anyway. Where can I get one and should I get a special blanket too?

I think they are all unisex. .
    My three wore the one. I wore when I was christened.
    You can buy in debenhams or places on line. They Cost a good bit though.

a white blanket will do I had one that my mother gaveto me.
    But white will do perfect .

When is your christening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Er....sat week!! I presumed I'd get one from family but my boy will be a big 16 wk old and some of my family were christened by 8 wks! Emm...wouldn't fit! When I saw the dress arrive in post today I had to do a double take! I never thought about blanket either! Organised eh? It's a wonder the church and venue is booked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Er....sat week!! I presumed I'd get one from family but my boy will be a big 16 wk old and some of my family were christened by 8 wks! Emm...wouldn't fit! When I saw the dress arrive in post today I had to do a double take! I never thought about blanket either! Organised eh? It's a wonder the church and venue is booked!
    mothercare have lovely christening blankets, i think we paid 12 or 16 euro.
    dont forget the priest will put the oil on babies chest, we forgot about this and had our fella in a satin suit with a waistcoat.
    debenhams ect had very little stuff for boys, most people seem to use a gown, i didnt fancy that.
    shaws have all the stuff in the one shop, we didnt spot this till the last minute when we were trying to find boots.
    hope this is some help, good luck and enjoy the day...

Have a Shaws in town. One stop shop sounds good! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Stupid question about christening outfits. Are they unisex? Just received a lend of one from family. It's a dress and I have a boy. I think it'd too small anyway. Where can I get one and should I get a special blanket too?

M&S do christening outfits as well. I was tempted to get the linen suit, but couldn't justify the expense for a day and wanted to use an heirloom item if possible. I used the hubby's family gown as it was lovely and big, wanted to use my dad's but he was christened at 3 weeks, so no way my big lad would have fit.

• Advertisement

Urgh sp not looking forward to sleep regression!!! Don't think I'll be able to cope so hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones and escape it.

Tried the MAM bottle last nite, it was better in that there was no projectile vomiting but she still roared and spat up every bit. It's so upsetting and stressful to put her through it but we have no choice but to keep doing it every day til it works now :(

Sorry to hear that Furbabymomma :-(. You probably already do so, but do you pace feed? My little fella would inhale bottles so the lactation consultant showed me how to pace feed so he wouldn't prefer the quickness of a bottle feed over breastfeeding. She said it also helps reflux babies sometimes.

I hold AJ more or less sitting up, have the bottle as horizontal as possible while still ensuring their is milk in the tip of the nipple, go nipple to nose, then offer the bottle when he opens his mouth. I let him have about 8 -10 sucks, then withdraw the bottle from his mouth for a couple seconds, and begin again. I burp then after every 60 ml.

Other sites say that feeding the baby a bottle in a cradle hold position helps them take a bottle better.

Again it might not do a thing, it could be that she works herself up so much over a bottle feed that she gets sick. I just know how stressful it is when they don't want to feed. Atm my little man only wants to bf when we are lying in bed together, just arches away from me when I do cradle or rugby holds. Sigh.

Oh my God I was reading those sleep posts with such envy! He was only waking once or twice a night but just before Christmas he started walking every hour or two. He was only sleeping half hour or 45 min a at a time some nights. Now it's a bit better, sleeps 8ish to 10 ish, 11 ish to 1 ish, then could be every half hour till 6am when he's awake for the day. I've been bringing him into bed with me from about 5am the last few nights as I just can't do it. He's 20 weeks today. I think it's the 4 month regression, he was 4 months on Dec 26th. Enjoy those lovely long sleep times while you can!!

Yep, I was up every two hours last night, and only two naps today and yesterday, half an hour each. AJ is only taking first two feeds of the night cradle hold, for the rest of the day I need to lie on the bed and feed him. The wonder weeks app said they would want more contact during feeding, but I hate having to go upstairs to feed when the hubby is home as we only have 2 hrs together before AJ's bed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Sorry to hear that Furbabymomma :-(. You probably already do so, but do you pace feed? My little fella would inhale bottles so the lactation consultant showed me how to pace feed so he wouldn't prefer the quickness of a bottle feed over breastfeeding. She said it also helps reflux babies sometimes.

I hold AJ more or less sitting up, have the bottle as horizontal as possible while still ensuring their is milk in the tip of the nipple, go nipple to nose, then offer the bottle when he opens his mouth. I let him have about 8 -10 sucks, then withdraw the bottle from his mouth for a couple seconds, and begin again. I burp then after every 60 ml.

Other sites say that feeding the baby a bottle in a cradle hold position helps them take a bottle better.

Again it might not do a thing, it could be that she works herself up so much over a bottle feed that she gets sick. I just know how stressful it is when they don't want to feed. Atm my little man only wants to bf when we are lying in bed together, just arches away from me when I do cradle or rugby holds. Sigh.

I was recommended paced bottled feeding too. Our guy was just gulping down massive amounts in no time, more than I could pump. Lactation consultant recommended it. There are a few videos on you tube if you search for it. It helped his dad to feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Hi ladies,

Hope you are all well, we've just organised the christening, I was slow getting around to it! I got him a suit in mama and papas instead I'm not a fan of the gowns on boys, I know it's tradition but sure anyway! J's sleeping between 10-12 hours at night now the last week! It feels AMAZING!!!! I quite literally never thought i'd see the day he's such a hungry baby! Hope everyone is getting more sleep now!
    X

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Hope you are all well, we've just organised the christening, I was slow getting around to it! I got him a suit in mama and papas instead I'm not a fan of the gowns on boys, I know it's tradition but sure anyway! J's sleeping between 10-12 hours at night now the last week! It feels AMAZING!!!! I quite literally never thought i'd see the day he's such a hungry baby! Hope everyone is getting more sleep now!
    X

Wow, 10-12 hr is brilliant!! Could you send a bit of that my way?! Have a great time at his christening. The tiny proper suits on babies are so cute :)

Our insomniac has gotten a bit better, waking about 4 times between 10 and 6.30 ish recently. I'm trying very hard not to feed him each time, just shush and rub belly. but by about 3 am I've no will power and just bring him into my bed and feed him there. It's so tiring. I got awful tired earlier today for about two hours but then ate a load of chocolate and felt better :) I'm trying to put him down drowsy and it's working sometimes.

Not an unrelated question: do you have different ideas/ways of doing things from your baby's dad? Is this ever an issue? It is startibg to be a bit of a thing with the sleep for us I'm trying to put R down drowsy and if he wakes to put himself back to sleep without rocking or anything. His dad minds him during the day and i think he tries to get him to sleep a bit too much. He rocks him to sleep in a rocker, and if he wakes he rocks him back to sleep and sometimes keeps rocking him for ages to keep him asleep. Or he walks him in buggy for 2 + hr to keep him asleep. So, basically dad keeps rocking him to sleep during the day while I'm trying to get him to go to sleep himself at night. I'm worried that all the rocking during the day will make R need rocking to sleep at night and it'll make it really hard at night. Any thoughts? Does rocking or not matter? Any differences of opinion yourselves?

• Advertisement

Not an unrelated question: do you have different ideas/ways of doing things from your baby's dad? Is this ever an issue? It is startibg to be a bit of a thing with the sleep for us I'm trying to put R down drowsy and if he wakes to put himself back to sleep without rocking or anything. His dad minds him during the day and i think he tries to get him to sleep a bit too much. He rocks him to sleep in a rocker, and if he wakes he rocks him back to sleep and sometimes keeps rocking him for ages to keep him asleep. Or he walks him in buggy for 2 + hr to keep him asleep. So, basically dad keeps rocking him to sleep during the day while I'm trying to get him to go to sleep himself at night. I'm worried that all the rocking during the day will make R need rocking to sleep at night and it'll make it really hard at night. Any thoughts? Does rocking or not matter? Any differences of opinion yourselves?

Yeah, it's a tough one alright. Sleep is a problem for us as well. I've been very bold and bf to sleep / nap, and hubby complained that it was taking up too much of my time and I was the only one who could put him to sleep. Then AJ wakes up at 2, and like you, I try to comfort in the crib and get him to sleep, and hubby is tired and has to work so wants me to bf him to sleep.

The rocking may not be an issue during the night, but may become is sleep association for napping under the day. It's a problem if it's not something you want to continue with.

I was lying down to bf before and after naps, and now it's a thing that I can't bf cradle hold, AJ just arches his back and cries. Makes it hard when going out, I have to try to bf in the car before hand and always bring a bottle to avoid having AJ draw attention to my boob hanging out.

Yeah, it's a tough one alright. Sleep is a problem for us as well. I've been very bold and bf to sleep / nap, and hubby complained that it was taking up too much of my time and I was the only one who could put him to sleep. Then AJ wakes up at 2, and like you, I try to comfort in the crib and get him to sleep, and hubby is tired and has to work so wants me to bf him to sleep.

The rocking may not be an issue during the night, but may become is sleep association for napping under the day. It's a problem if it's not something you want to continue with.

I was lying down to bf before and after naps, and now it's a thing that I can't bf cradle hold, AJ just arches his back and cries. Makes it hard when going out, I have to try to bf in the car before hand and always bring a bottle to avoid having AJ draw attention to my boob hanging out.

Thanks. Sorry to hear you also have sleep issues but glad I'm not alone! You can't win, bf him to sleep or not. I do the same, it's hard not to because it works so well!

I don't want the rocking to continue as i don't think it's good to have him dependant on it and when I mind him during the day at wkend I need to do stuff aroubd apt while he naps so can't sit and rock. Dad has the rocker by his laptop so he can just sit there with a foot rocking it and do work on laptop.

That sounds tough, feeding lying down every time. Is it that he likes to be lying flat himself or he's just used to the angle of the boob? It's good he'll take a bottle for you. R is getting a lot more distracted when feeding now so it's hard to feed him outside the apt.

It's MLK day here in the states, BTW. Happy mlk day!

ahh! unzipped R's little hoodie this morning to feed him before heading out to work, and he started roaring! awful sad roaring! couldn't figure out what happened at first but then when he quietened down he lifted his chin. the stupid zip took a chunk out of his skin! the really soft bit just at the top of his chest. who puts a metal zipper on a baby's hoodie?! I didn't know unzipping could catch skin anyway. oh the feels. ok so it is really just a big graze, but, god, I think I'll burn that hoodie when I get home! his other ones have plastic zips.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

ahh! unzipped R's little hoodie this morning to feed him before heading out to work, and he started roaring! awful sad roaring! couldn't figure out what happened at first but then when he quietened down he lifted his chin. the stupid zip took a chunk out of his skin! the really soft bit just at the top of his chest. who puts a metal zipper on a baby's hoodie?! I didn't know unzipping could catch skin anyway. oh the feels. ok so it is really just a big graze, but, god, I think I'll burn that hoodie when I get home! his other ones have plastic zips.

Oh no! There is nothing worse than when you hurt them by accident like that - the guilt is unreal. But they are little troopers and will have forgotten it long before you do.

Karmella wrote: »
    Oh no! There is nothing worse than when you hurt them by accident like that - the guilt is unreal. But they are little troopers and will have forgotten it long before you do.

Yeah, he got over it quicker than I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Yeah, he got over it quicker than I did!

Awh nothing worse! You feel so bad I'm sure he's grand now. We were in the docs yesterday with Joshua, bit unsettles day and night the last 4 night and has been pooing after after bottle, it's constant! I put it down to teething and the Nurofen and teething granules, his teething has gotten so bad, Anyway yesterday he screamed a scream I literally had never heard before he couldn't catch his breath he was crying so much, his face all blotchy and tears constantly, I couldn't comfort him at all, went upstairs and he had the worst nappy rash, it all of sudden came on within an hour of me changing his last nappy and it was red raw and he had a blister, poor little thing just lost it as I tried to clean him, I had been using burt's bees every single dirty nappy so I thought he wouldn't get it but I guess with the amount he's pooing it was envitable. Screaming was so bad I rang my mam burst into tears, his crying was deafening and o felt totally useless, she told me to call doc so we headed down in the pram and of course as soon as we got there he was full of smiles, she must have thought I was barking mad, he had a mild rash on his body which she put down to the teeth on the verge of erupting and we got a steroid cream for his nappy rash.
    What a day!! I needed a large glass of wine!

She also asked if we were going to start solids soon, she said that it used to be 4 months then they changed it to 6 months but it's really up to the baby and she things he's quite a bruiser and would be able for it.

So I might try next week see how it goes!
    Anyone else thinking about it?

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Awh nothing worse! You feel so bad I'm sure he's grand now. We were in the docs yesterday with Joshua, bit unsettles day and night the last 4 night and has been pooing after after bottle, it's constant! I put it down to teething and the Nurofen and teething granules, his teething has gotten so bad, Anyway yesterday he screamed a scream I literally had never heard before he couldn't catch his breath he was crying so much, his face all blotchy and tears constantly, I couldn't comfort him at all, went upstairs and he had the worst nappy rash, it all of sudden came on within an hour of me changing his last nappy and it was red raw and he had a blister, poor little thing just lost it as I tried to clean him, I had been using burt's bees every single dirty nappy so I thought he wouldn't get it but I guess with the amount he's pooing it was envitable. Screaming was so bad I rang my mam burst into tears, his crying was deafening and o felt totally useless, she told me to call doc so we headed down in the pram and of course as soon as we got there he was full of smiles, she must have thought I was barking mad, he had a mild rash on his body which she put down to the teeth on the verge of erupting and we got a steroid cream for his nappy rash.
    What a day!! I needed a large glass of wine!

She also asked if we were going to start solids soon, she said that it used to be 4 months then they changed it to 6 months but it's really up to the baby and she things he's quite a bruiser and would be able for it.

So I might try next week see how it goes!
    Anyone else thinking about it?

Oh pastry I was getting shivers just reading it. Poor baby and poor mum! Nappy rash must be just so uncomfortable for them. You deserve that glass of wine!

I'm afraid of my life R will get bad rashes as I apparently had awful skin as a baby, everything set it off, so I'm paranoid. Even Burt's bees baby wash gives him dry patches, and he started getting red spots from water wipes and pampers sensitive. So I've gone back to dry cloths and plain water for nappy changes and plain water for baths 1-2 a week (although doc recommended dove hypoallergenic plain soap recently). Might be worth a try to just use water? I get disposable dry cloths in the baby section and also use washable cloths. And I swear R is clean!!!

R is teething but nothing through yet. I sometimes give him my finger joint to gnaw on and I can feel one sharp bit on the bottom front, not long now. Life is tough for the wee creatures.

On weaning, I'm waiting till 6 months, going by guidelines but also it is a bit hectic/exhausting at the moment with me working etc so it might be easier for us to wait a while. I can't handle more laundry!!

My little man has an awful cold the poor pet :( Really snotty nose and a cough. He got it from his brother of course - who incidentally is coughing so much that he vomited twice last night! He got sick in his room so I'd just cleaned it up and changed his bed linen before he got sick all over his bed again!! Grrr.

Theres nothing much I can do for the baby - he has no fever thankfully - just use a saline spray to loosen the snot in his nose. But he's miserable :(

Anyway, regarding weaning, I'm giving him a couple spoons baby rice in the morning and then a couple of spoons of a veg or fruit purée in the afternoon. Not every day mind you, just when we are at home or I have time. It's only to give him practice taking a spoon and swallowing. He still gets his full complement of feeds.
    I feed him in his swing seat, can't face bringing down the high chair from the attic yet (takes up so much space, I really should change it for something more compact). Also as soon as he gets upset I stop, although in fairness he smiles & laughs away when he sees the spoon.

Sorry to hear your babies are not feeling great pastry and Karmella. Nothing worse than when they get upset and it seems impossible to comfort them.

Regards weaning, AJ is getting his tastes every morning and sometimes evenings. He was going mad to get at our food. I give him half a teaspoon of my unsweetened porridge with a bit of cinnamon in the morning and a bit of mashed banana and maybe a few spoons fruit puree. I sit him in a high chair just so he gets used to it being where he eats. I get him to taste everything separately and then combined so he gets used to mixing tastes and texture. He loves it, he's like a little shark going for the spoon! I wasn't going to start spoons till 5 months, but he was really after ours so I decided I would rather have him content with a few spoons a day and try to delay proper weaning a bit longer than to have him start refusing bf and bottle (which he started to if I was giving a bottle and he saw the hubby eating). I am going to need to invest in a steamer and food processor soon though.

Still hoping to delay proper portions till at least 5 months, but PHN just said to delay as long as possible but still go by his readiness.

I guess it all goes by when babies are ready themselves anyway. Our fella isn't as interested in us eating as your guys sound to be, even though he's 5 months next monday. He does watch us eating, but it is more like he is bemused by the whole thing rather than wanting some himself. I was taking exaggerated bites of a sandwich for fun in front of him one day and his eyes were popping out of his head with wonder - I could nearly see him thinking 'where did it go?!' :D

What high chairs do ye have? I'm hoping to pop to ikea some day soon and might get their cheap one. anyone have it?

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are arriving on Saturday evening for 2 weeks. It will be the first time any of his family meet R so it is great that they are making the trip over. They are pretty conservative and a bit old fashioned, they think I'm nuts most of the time. I hope it goes well :/ Dad is delighted as they'll give him a break from minding R. Thankfully we got them a wee apartment on our street through airbnb, so it won't be too much of an invasion! I may be on here to moan a bit... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, can't remember who asked about periods but mine returned yesterday (oh joy :( ) and I gave my last feed on the 19th December so that's 6 weeks.

What a week. Both the boys were sick and then I gave myself food poisoning to add insult to injury.

And my ex is trying to get me to agree to having HIS girlfriend mind MY kids for the summer! Can ye believe it?? He thinks it's a great idea cos she'll be cheaper than a creche. Honestly I find myself wondering every day what the hell I was doing with him for so long :mad:

FFS. I bet he doesn't even realise why you'd be mad at that idea!

Hope ye are all back to good health now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Our lil one is sleeping at 8ish. Up at 4 for feed then back untill 9. Anyones LO sleeping through the night yet?

Madeinamerica, have you tried desitin for his rash? I find it worked well on the rash AJ got in his neck fold from the drool. Highchair I got was graco, not impressed, no back support! I would recommend ikea as MIL has one and it worked great.

Karmella, hope you are all feeling better. Can't believe your ex! I am speechless!

ComfortKid, mine had been doing great at 6 -8 hrs at night for his first sleep, but now it's been every 3 hrs with loads of settling needed in between. If I get a 4 -5 hr stretch nowadays it's a good night!

However, little man is flying. Wants to hold the bottle by himself half the time, trying to sit up all the time and can pull up from slight recline and can hold himself for a couple seconds before leaning and toppling over.

double post from newborn and toddlers.

Hi. My little one is almost 4 months. He goes down ok in cot most nights but I'm waiting with him til he's asleep. An odd time, he wakes up once/twice in first hour and I go back into him and settle him back ok- might want soother. I;m wondering if this is already a very bad habit as he doesn't nod off to sleep at night on his own. Should I be doing that by now?

Also, it's a nightmare if he gets overtired as it can take up to an hour to get him to settle. Am trying to avoid this by putting him down earlier all the time but by now the earliest is 7 and I don't want him asleep any earlier than that. He can literally go nuts in a minute if he is overtired. Then it's very hard to get him down so I try to keep the routine and watch for the cues.

It can also be very hard to get him to settle for naps. Despite the cues and obvious tiredness on his part, it can take a while. Today it took me over half hour to get him to settle for a nap he was asking for but he only slept 10mins so alot of energy for little return!! Sometimes it gets exhausting on my part. Such effort for 10-20mins nap!

Daytime naps have als been minimal. He never slept mch during the day...ever! But at least he's good at nighttime. Sometimes he will sleep quickly but other times its a battle as he is cross cos tired but won't sleep and gets more cross.

What do others do with this age range?

Madeinamerica, have you tried desitin for his rash? I find it worked well on the rash AJ got in his neck fold from the drool.

Cheers comongethappy, thankfully he is rash-free on his bum at the moment but he does have a little on his cheeks so I will try it there.
    Highchair I got was graco, not impressed, no back support! I would recommend ikea as MIL has one and it worked great.

Nice to know, thanks.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Our lil one is sleeping at 8ish. Up at 4 for feed then back untill 9. Anyones LO sleeping through the night yet?

I would love if my guy did that! I think that is probably as close to 'sleeping through the night' as you'll get with this age. I've heard that some docs call sleeping 4-6 hrs straight 'sleeping through the night'.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi comongethappy, sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately the issue is she won't suck, she just screams with the teat in her mouth. We looked up the paced feeding videos but they only work if the baby is actually swallowing. That one time we got 1oz into her was only because we switched to a variflow teat which just caused the milk to flow back her throat. She was flailing her little arms like she was drowning and threw up straight after.

Since then we have tried sippy cups, the MAM teats, etc. A week ago someone gave us a Nuk bottle for one last shot. It's progress in that if you put it in her mouth once she's in the bouncer she doesn't scream. She kind of bites the teat and I withdraw it when the milk comes out but she has perfected the art of using her tongue to push the milk out of her mouth. She refuses to swallow one bit so it all ends up down her front. I'm at my wits end at this point.

Hi comongethappy, sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately the issue is she won't suck, she just screams with the teat in her mouth. We looked up the paced feeding videos but they only work if the baby is actually swallowing. That one time we got 1oz into her was only because we switched to a variflow teat which just caused the milk to flow back her throat. She was flailing her little arms like she was drowning and threw up straight after.

Since then we have tried sippy cups, the MAM teats, etc. A week ago someone gave us a Nuk bottle for one last shot. It's progress in that if you put it in her mouth once she's in the bouncer she doesn't scream. She kind of bites the teat and I withdraw it when the milk comes out but she has perfected the art of using her tongue to push the milk out of her mouth. She refuses to swallow one bit so it all ends up down her front. I'm at my wits end at this point.

Does she take a soother at all? I've no idea if this works or not, but when we were trying to get R to take a bottle, at the same time we were trying to get him to take a soother. He wasn't a bit happy with either for a while but he did take them both eventually. I have a feeling that just by keeping offering him the soother several times a day it might have got him used to sucking on something rubbery and non-booby and helped with him sucking on the bottle. As it is easier to try the soother than getting a bottle ready and having the mess with the milk, perhaps try a soother every so often during the day?

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time furbabymomma :( . You have literally tried everything!

Advertisement