Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

[/LEFT][/LEFT][/LEFT]It's such a minefield isn't it? You'd never be on top of call the do's and don'ts. I never v knew about vicks either. I used it non myself for my awful pregnancy congestion but prob shouldn't have!

I've decided to try harder with my son's naps and to try to train him to nap in the cot. I'm sitting here beside him in cot. He's tired and fighting it as always!! Had a long chat with a pal who got so demented she got a sleep consultant! Apparently it was v good but tough. You'd have to wonder why it has to be so hard to get a tired baby to sleep!

FBM I'm starting to freak out a bit about the day naps. My guy is good at nite to be fair. However like you say my oh can't stick him on the boob and i don't know how anyone else will manage to mind him until naps are sorted. At this stage they should sleep 2-3 hours during the day....apparently. I'm lucky if my fella manages 20mins! I used to complain that he only slept for 30 mins. The past three days he has not slept at all bar once in buggy for half hour and like you say, that's if it's not raining!

Failed...again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

R rolled off the bed this morning. Nightmare. His dad got up and I put R beside me on his dad's side of the bed. I must have fallen asleep for a minute because next thing I know a bang wakes me up and R starts crying - on the floor. I nearly lost my life in the next few minutes, I just grabbed him up and walked around hugging him and trying to check him out while crying myself. I don't really remember how he was on the floor but I think he was face down and his dad's runners were under him somewhere, but u think his head hit the wooden floor. His dad came out of the loo and helped check him out, he stopped crying and was ok. I had to give him to his dad and sat down on the bed and just bawled for a few minutes, I think it was the shock, and the guilt. We took all his clothes off and checked him out fully, no marks on him at all and he was happy as Larry again. Que googling 'baby rolled off bed', thankfully no scary websites, mainly they said if baby fell from a low height, is acting normal and has no injuries then just keep an eye on them and if anything seems off then call the doc. The only thing I know about a head injury is don't let them sleep and watch if the vomit. Apparently they now say let the baby sleep and watch him to see sleep is normal and that he wakes up as normal. I fed him and then he had a wee sleep for about 10 min and woke up fine. So i think he's OK. Thankfully our bed is a very low one from ikea, it's not even a foot high. We've his 6 month doc visit tomorrow so I'll get her to check him out. I'm in work now and get little shivers when I think of it.

I used to think, how could anyone let their baby roll off anything? Eh, too bloody easily! He was up 5 times last night with a blocked nose so i was wrecked but I still can't believe I just nodded off like that without intending to. He doesn't usually roll much at all either, like maybe twice a week. I was actually getting a bit concerned that he wasn't rolling enough *rolls eyes*

I need a cup of tea after just writing all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yeah it's way more traumatic for you than for the baby usually!!! I remember when my eldest fell off the bed for the first time. Poor fella hit his face off the edge of the open under-bed drawer on the way down. But weirdly it kinda broke his fall aswell.

Don't feel guilty about nodding off - we've all been there!! And you never expect them to roll as far as they do! The amount if times I've put the baby on his playmat and left the room and come back and he's half way across the floor :) I always ask him 'how did you get there little man??' Of course I have to pick him up then cos he is invariably 'stuck' and bawling. I find this phase quite frustrating (as do they!)

Karmella wrote: »
    Yeah it's way more traumatic for you than for the baby usually!!! I remember when my eldest fell off the bed for the first time. Poor fella hit his face off the edge of the open under-bed drawer on the way down. But weirdly it kinda broke his fall aswell.

Don't feel guilty about nodding off - we've all been there!! And you never expect them to roll as far as they do! The amount if times I've put the baby on his playmat and left the room and come back and he's half way across the floor :) I always ask him 'how did you get there little man??' Of course I have to pick him up then cos he is invariably 'stuck' and bawling. I find this phase quite frustrating (as do they!)

Thanks for the nice post :) I'm sorry, but I had to have a little laugh at your description of your fella's fall! the poor child, face hitting off a drawer broke his fall.

My husband told me afterwards he is so relieved that R's first mishap was on my watch. It is over and it wasn't his fault!

R's new trick is to push himself backwards, pushes up on his arms and slides back on his belly on the wooden floor. no matter where he wants to go, that's all he can do so he just ends up further away and very annoyed! It is pretty funny.

• Advertisement

Poor you MIA! I'd have died a death. So glad he's Ok. You never do know do you? My fella seldom rolls so like you I would never er have thlught he could roll off. I put a pillow between him and edge of bed but honestly thought it was being over cautious as he doesn't budge on the ed. Thankfully all's well that ends well. Tea and chocolate and bottle of wine after work. Mind yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Lol oh 73trix I hear ya! Only difference is A will actually sleep 2-3hours in the buggy which makes me feel even more guilty about trying to put her to bed as I know she won't sleep at all!!!

Ah madeinamerica that must have been so scary. I think like Karmella says it's generally the parents that come off worse in this situation - kids are bouncier than what we give them credit for lol!

Just in case anyone is interested lidl is currently selling portable bed rails for 19.99. I've bought one and I'm bringing it to America when we go to see my sister in April as we'll be co-sleeping over there.

Great idea! Must try to get one. FBM can i ask, is 2-3 hours bliss full nap/break for mammy from actually walking that long or from rocking the buggy at home? I'm here again after 45mins.. I brought babs to water babies and was full sure it would knock him out. Seriously. I must have a little live wire. I'm doomed!! Feeding again (yes feeding to sleep agsin) if that doesn't do it I'll take him off in car or buggy but I'm annoyed at having to do that. I'd love a nap myself! I loved the pool but am tired after it as a major operation! He liked it tho so that's something!

Ps so sorry for the moan...Was up with him last nite from teething so double whammy # tiredmammy

73trix wrote: »
    Great idea! Must try to get one. FBM can i ask, is 2-3 hours bliss full nap/break for mammy from actually walking that long or from rocking the buggy at home? I'm here again after 45mins.. I brought babs to water babies and was full sure it would knock him out. Seriously. I must have a little live wire. I'm doomed!! Feeding again (yes feeding to sleep agsin) if that doesn't do it I'll take him off in car or buggy but I'm annoyed at having to do that. I'd love a nap myself! I loved the pool but am tired after it as a major operation! He liked it tho so that's something!

Ps so sorry for the moan...Was up with him last nite from teething so double whammy # tiredmammy

73trix I walk for about 45mins and she falls asleep on the walk then sleeps on 2-3 hours at home. That's been going on the last month, before that she was a catnapper. But today I had to come home early and put her in the car to go somewhere. That was it, she was wide awake! Tried to get her back to sleep when I got home, she just cried. In the end I had to go out with the buggy in the hail but she is now asleep again. It's great ot works but this can't be a long term solution!

Oh poor R is not having a good week of it! 6 month check up yesterday and the doc asked about his cheek. his left cheek had been a bit pink in the centre lately but I thought it was just teething. Nope. She sent us to see a dermatologist (luckily just downstairs in the same building). He has cold panniculitis, where his chubby cheek got too cold and it damaged the fat under his skin! Apparently it happens usually in summer when babies are sucking on ice pops and it freezes the fat from the inside of their cheek. Baby cheek fat is prone to it more than adult. This was the first the derm guy saw where cold from the outside damaged it but it does happen. It was like -18 C and -16 C a few days last week.... All the rest of him was wrapped up and snuggly warm, never thought his cheeks would freeze! ok so they didn't actually freeze, but still.

• Advertisement

Oh poor R is not having a good week of it! 6 month check up yesterday and the doc asked about his cheek. his left cheek had been a bit pink in the centre lately but I thought it was just teething. Nope. She sent us to see a dermatologist (luckily just downstairs in the same building). He has cold panniculitis, where his chubby cheek got too cold and it damaged the fat under his skin! Apparently it happens usually in summer when babies are sucking on ice pops and it freezes the fat from the inside of their cheek. Baby cheek fat is prone to it more than adult. This was the first the derm guy saw where cold from the outside damaged it but it does happen. It was like -18 C and -16 C a few days last week.... All the rest of him was wrapped up and snuggly warm, never thought his cheeks would freeze! ok so they didn't actually freeze, but still.

Oh my that is terrible! Is it treatable? Or does it just go away?

My little man is scratching the head off himself, he has very dry itchy skin. And it is further irritated by spit-up and drool around his mouth & neck.

Karmella wrote: »
    Oh my that is terrible! Is it treatable? Or does it just go away?

My little man is scratching the head off himself, he has very dry itchy skin. And it is further irritated by spit-up and drool around his mouth & neck.

It just goes away by itself, apparently, but it will take a few weeks. And it doesn't hurt him which is a relief. It shouldn't leave a mark either. This time it was hubby's fault as it first got really pink after he was walking him outside for about 45 min on a -16 C day. We are awful parents! But R is fine, thankfully!

Sorry to hear your guy is itchy, isn't it awful for them when they don't understand and go scratching?

Getting ready for R's first swimming class today! So excited! I love the water but his dad is afraid of water, hope R takes after me on this one :)

Edit to say, given the way this week has gone, hopefully nothing happens him in the pool :rolleyes:

Getting ready for R's first swimming class today! So excited! I love the water but his dad is afraid of water, hope R takes after me on this one :)

Edit to say, given the way this week has gone, hopefully nothing happens him in the pool :rolleyes:

How did he get on? I brought my guy for first lesson on Thursday and it was fab. I'm same as you and my OH also hates the water so swimming is my thing with babba! Hope it was event less too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Wow Mia, tough week! Glad R was alright, they are tougher than they look! I have had AJ sitting up on a soft mat (he sits quite well on his own until he over reaches), but he fell just over the side on the mat and landed on his face on the wooden floor! He was fine, but the tears were awful!

AJ is cutting his first tooth and we have been taking him in our bed with us during the night at times as he is not sleeping well in his crib. Our bed is very high, so I got one of.the bed rails after reading your story!

73trix wrote: »
    How did he get on? I brought my guy for first lesson on Thursday and it was fab. I'm same as you and my OH also hates the water so swimming is my thing with babba! Hope it was event less too!

lol, that is funny ye are the same way! Glad ye had fun! We had a great time in the pool. No mishaps :rolleyes:

What was your lesson like? Ours had 9 parent/babies in one corner of the pool. I had assumed it would be just our lesson in a quiet pool but there were other things going on in the rest of the pool so it was pretty noisy and busy. Which I think was a good thing as R was watching everything else going on and wasnt bothered by the water. I think the goal of the first class was to get baby used to floating and getting splashed on the face. The class was good, the teacher had us walking around him in a circle and floating them on their fronts, backs, rolling between the two, putting back-of-head in water, splashing with R's hands, wrapping a floaty 'noodle' around his chest/belly and letting him float along after toys (it was kinda hard to get it on the baby, a few babies got unintentionally dunked, R included!), lifting baby up high out of the water and back down with a little splash to the face. R did great, not a bother with the splashing and his face dipped in the water a couple of times when he was trying to chew on the floaty toys but he just blinked it off. Teething is a great distraction! I've got into our full-up bath tub with him for a mini-swim a couple of times and he didn;t freak out so I knew he would get on ok but still I was super proud of him!

Dad might be allowed come take photos next week as there were other parents standing on the edge of the pool fully dressed with cameras.

God it took some organisation though. I'd sooo much stuff with me.

It is in the YMCA, which I get a little kick out of, so american :) I had thought the YMCA was like a hostel (its fun to stay at the YMCA...!) its more of a sports complex.

Looking forward to next class already :D

Madeinamerica poor R and you, what a week! I read in one of those parenting emails that you can put vasoline on a baby's nose, cheeks and lips to protect them from cold exposure, that might help with the temperatures you're experiencing x

I've brought A to a couple of Waterbabies classes and I really enjoy them. However I find the company itself a disaster to deal with and the photoshoot prices are pure extortionate :-(

Wow Mia, tough week! Glad R was alright, they are tougher than they look! I have had AJ sitting up on a soft mat (he sits quite well on his own until he over reaches), but he fell just over the side on the mat and landed on his face on the wooden floor! He was fine, but the tears were awful!

AJ is cutting his first tooth and we have been taking him in our bed with us during the night at times as he is not sleeping well in his crib. Our bed is very high, so I got one of.the bed rails after reading your story!

Ah, my parenting stories are a warning to others! :pac:

Ladies I always feed my baby to sleep but my husband is getting stressed as he feels he won't be able to get her to sleep if and when I have a night out or a night away, which I will have when I'm back to work. So my question is do any of you have a bedtime routine that doesn't involve feeding and if so what do you do?

Ladies I always feed my baby to sleep but my husband is getting stressed as he feels he won't be able to get her to sleep if and when I have a night out or a night away, which I will have when I'm back to work. So my question is do any of you have a bedtime routine that doesn't involve feeding and if so what do you do?

My question exactly! Same boat. I had to revert to this after a week of not being able to get babs down at all at night and being head wrecked!

Also, when do they drop the night feed? We are in a disaster night routine now of 6-6 with a feed at 2/3am. I hate putting babs to bed so early but he dictated this time and doesn't really nap by day so is shattered by then. It's not too bad only I'm still up at 2ish - yuk.

• Advertisement

Happy Mother's Day to all ye mammies, hope you are all being spoilt :)

How are ye all getting on? My little one is 6 months old since last week and he is great fun. Really getting interactive and inquisitive and is all go :) And he is besotted with his older brother it's very cute :)

Happy mothers day Karmella and to all the lovely Sept ladies! Hope you are all having a great day!

AJ is 6 months next week and has gotten his two bottom teeth! He had a high temp today, but with no other symptoms than crankiness / tiredness. Eating and drinking fine. So gave neurofen and just keeping an eye on him and lying with him as he sleeps now. I would leave him in his crib but the feckin rabbit bit thru his angelcare movement sensor wire, and I just worry with breathing issues after my friends son had problems with ibuprofen.

Happy mother's day everyone! Hope your little ones are doing well. Hope AJ is okay. Can't believe he has 2 teeth already.

My chap is 23wks now. No teeth yet. On solids almost a week. Growing up so fast! Slept 11 hours straight last nite so think the nite feeds have stopped. I am down to one bf a day now -his bed time one and I am reluctant to stop as feel very emotional about cutting that off as such a special bond. He's a great little chap. Very lucky.

Happy Mother's Day everyone! Hope you're getting loads of lovely snuggles with your babies! Xxx

Happy mother's day ladies! It's over by now in Ireland, hope ye had a lovely day with your little ones :)

Anyone else's babies having tantrums? AJ has started screaming (not just crying, screaming at the top of his lungs) when he is really upset he is not getting his own way, generally when he's getting tired. He had a complete meltdown in the cafe today as he didn't like his lunch. I thought it only started when they are around 2.

He's normally such a happy charming boy, but I have started to sleep train a bit (no longer feeding asleep for naps, putting down awake and comforting in cot till asleep). It takes up to an hour sometimes for maybe only 20 mins of sleep, so I know his daytime sleep is off, but his night sleep seems to have gone better (between 5 and a half to 6 and a half hours before first proper wake)

I am trying to do the fading method, where you comfort them a little less as time goes on, but I hope it will work. Just emotionally tired from his screaming.

Yeah Calvin can get very cross too, like that I had him in his high chair today to give him lunch and he just screamed. I think he was too hungry and just wanted a bottle, so I gave in and took him out and gave him one. I tried him a little later in the high chair and it was better - although he still didn't eat anything!! I think I hadn't it blended enough as he kept gagging. Will try him with it again today.

I think they are discovering the sounds they can make to be honest. He is making all kinds of noises these days!!

Ah screaming is not fun! I think R is discovering what noises he can make, sometimes he keeps screaming squealing for no obvious reason :(

9 hrs sleep last night, with a wake of 3 hrs in when we went to bed where I needed to resettle him but without feeding and no more than 10 mins!

Now, sleep can be between 5 - 8 hrs most nights around 6, but the training seems to be paying off. Naps are still difficult, I am still feeding him but he is put to crib awake. However, it can take up to an hour to settle him at times for maybe a 25 min nap. He cries and can scream every time he is put down for naps (but not at night). I just keep to the side of the crib, sing lullabies and kiss, they continue to sit at side and pat tummy or arm or rub face or hand till he relaxes enough to sleep. The cries are hard though, but even holding him to nap he cries.

How are all you mamas getting on?

• Advertisement

I'm about to start reading the No Cry Sleep Solution as atm A will only nap in her buggy after a walk. Need her to nap in her bed for when I go back to work!

Advertisement