Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

73trix wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your babysitting experience come on. I dread the day that happens. When my boy makes strange I'm sure there will be issues. Karmella fair play and well deserved. Envy!!

Girls how have your cycles been since baby? I breastfed and got period back after a month of stopping completely when baby was 6.5 months - but I phased it out from 4mths. I was hopeful of returning to my normal regular textbook 28/29 day cycle but I'm CD 17 now and not a sign of my fertile window at all yet. I'm ttc so a bit impatient!

what does "CD" mean? I'm not up on the lingo.

I still haven't got my period yet, still bf though. I'm dreading it coming back now after over a year of no hassle!

Fair play for going again so soon! I don't have the energy! fingers crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Cycle Day. I hadn't a clue either til I started being targeted with ttc and suddenly a whole new encyclopedia emerged. Thanks. Only reason for being anxious to try so soon is the minor matter of being 42 ! Gasp. Obviously it could be age related and just coincidence about being post baby. Trying to be optimistic cos I had no issues with no 1 as I was almost 41. But it may well be as far as my luck goes...
    Damn tick tock. Aren't men so jammy...

How is everyone? Had an awful week with teething but thank goodness he's over that bad spell albeit temporarily I guess. Babs didn't even smile for a whole week and I found it very hard. Then bingo, he was back to himself, in better for than ever. All fun, smiles and giggles. I hope he stays like this as long as possible. Poor baby. It was like he was depressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

How is everyone? Had an awful week with teething but thank goodness he's over that bad spell albeit temporarily I guess. Babs didn't even smile for a whole week and I found it very hard. Then bingo, he was back to himself, in better for than ever. All fun, smiles and giggles. I hope he stays like this as long as possible. Poor baby. It was like he was depressed!

I'm with you on the teething thing. We had three blissful weeks after her bottom two where she slept through every night. But now she's waking every hour or so screaming in pain. I'm also exhausted and run down, and hubby is wrecked at work.

I don't know how to help her. I give her calpol or nurofen before bed and once at night but should I try during the day too? So wary of filling her full of medicine though?. What do you ladies advise?

I'm with you on the teething thing. We had three blissful weeks after her bottom two where she slept through every night. But now she's waking every hour or so screaming in pain. I'm also exhausted and run down, and hubby is wrecked at work.

I don't know how to help her. I give her calpol or nurofen before bed and once at night but should I try during the day too? So wary of filling her full of medicine though?. What do you ladies advise?

Apparently calgel -only available in UK - is the only thing that really works. Both my chemist and PHN suggested it. Gotta find a way to get some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

My little guy has been a sack of misery for the last 2 weeks! There is no sign of it letting up, and he is now on hunger strike aswell, spitting everything out and bawling when I put him in the high chair :(

I thought when the 2nd tooth broke through he'd be fine but he's been in an awful way. I was giving him calpol last week but felt I was over medicating (I wasn't even near the limits but it's a personal thing I guess, I very rarely take meds myself) so cut it down.

I don't know if he is teething or what but it's a bit soul destroying when you can't make them happy :(

In other news, have started looking for an au pair. What a minefield!!! I registered with a website and there are 400 that fit my criteria and I received applications from over 100!! Spent the last 2 days trawling through the messages. The majority by far are Spanish- there must be no work for graduates there!

Karmella wrote: »
    My little guy has been a sack of misery for the last 2 weeks! There is no sign of it letting up, and he is now on hunger strike aswell, spitting everything out and bawling when I put him in the high chair :(

I thought when the 2nd tooth broke through he'd be fine but he's been in an awful way. I was giving him calpol last week but felt I was over medicating (I wasn't even near the limits but it's a personal thing I guess, I very rarely take meds myself) so cut it down.

I don't know if he is teething or what but it's a bit soul destroying when you can't make them happy :(

In other news, have started looking for an au pair. What a minefield!!! I registered with a website and there are 400 that fit my criteria and I received applications from over 100!! Spent the last 2 days trawling through the messages. The majority by far are Spanish- there must be no work for graduates there!

"sack of misery" = that is such a good description! can so relate!
    Wow, that's mad the extent of the interest in the au pair job! HOpefully you get a good 'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi Ladies, I can relate to the teething issues!

Re: medication, I just tend to give at night for a few days then take a break. I just worry about paracetamol and liver damage, but I dose based on weight not age.

Just wondering ladies, are your little ones taking 2 or 3 naps a day now? The past week has been a nightmare to get AJ to sleep for his last nap unless I manage to feed him asleep. We have been at war now for about an hour :(

My guy was always a terrible day napper but fortunately since he started solids at 5.5 months he has been steadily getting better. These days, most days, he will take a short 15-30 min after morning bott and if not then, after his cereal an hour or so later. His big nap varies but recently goes for 2-3 hrs starting anytime from10/11. If he doesn't do the first nap his big nap could start at 9 30 but if earlier generally doesn't last as long as if he went down at 10/10 30. Therefore I like him to have that little snooze at 7.30/8.30 as his big nap will be better. The afternoon is extreme ly hit and miss. Usually a half hour between 3 and 4 but could be 20mins at 5/5 30. No pattern at all. He goes down at 7.

I can't believe that he finally sleeps 2-3 hrs a day. He was the anti napper for sooooo long!

We have a genius baby!! Lol, not. Today his dad had him out in the park and he suddenly started crying. Dad is checking him out to find what was up and sees two curved red dotty lines on R's arm. On closer inspection, they turn out to be teeth marks. R's teeth marks. He bit himself so hard he made himself cry!! Daft baby! There are still clear red tooth marks on his arm now 4hr later. I hope he learned!

• Advertisement

Poor baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

we have two bottom teeth and the top ones are on the way now, i am mainly using bonjella but the odd time use nurofen baby it comes with a very easy to use dosing pen, last week he was having a bad week, couldnt sleep and then got over tired, fingers crossed the top ones show up. as for the calgel i have not tried it myself but its available in mothercare

http://www.mothercare.ie/calgel-teething-gel-10g.html.

have a development check with the public health nurse and a doctor coming up, any reason why our regular gp is not used ?
    such a hassle going into the main town with parking ect

we have two bottom teeth and the top ones are on the way now, i am mainly using bonjella but the odd time use nurofen baby it comes with a very easy to use dosing pen, last week he was having a bad week, couldnt sleep and then got over tired, fingers crossed the top ones show up. as for the calgel i have not tried it myself but its available in mothercare

have a development check with the public health nurse and a doctor coming up, any reason why our regular gp is not used ?

Generally the development checks are only with the PHN ? Have you gotten 2 appointments?
    I'm still waiting for mine - I think it's a 7-9 month check although he's 8.5 months now so they'd want to be getting the finger out :)

Karmella wrote: »
    Generally the development checks are only with the PHN ? Have you gotten 2 appointments?
    I'm still waiting for mine - I think it's a 7-9 month check although he's 8.5 months now so they'd want to be getting the finger out :)

Yeah we have two appointments
    He had an extra crease in the back of his leg so the phn referred him to the doctor, he had his X-ray and doesn't show any sign of hip displacia so he was discharged
    Last time we saw this doctor she checked everything like his grip hearing eyes ect
    The phn was just weight and height really and advice on feeding last time, I'm expecting something similar

Yes there's a developmental check at 9 months. I pop into the public health clinic myself every now and then to get her weighed but different nurses give different advice so I usually ignore what they actually say ;-)

Not to worry you too much, but just be careful how often you apply the likes of calgel / bonjella as the AAP doesn't recommend use anymore

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/03/lidocaine-teething-children-babies-fda/11798367/

I think the danger is only in overuse, everything in moderation I suppose!

In relation to development checks, the PHN is the only one who does it here in Wicklow

Not to worry you too much, but just be careful how often you apply the likes of calgel / bonjella as the AAP doesn't recommend use anymore

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/03/lidocaine-teething-children-babies-fda/11798367/

I think the danger is only in overuse, everything in moderation I suppose!

In relation to development checks, the PHN is the only one who does it here in Wicklow

my gp and phn said bonjella was fine if kept in the dosage limits, its only an evening thing really when his cheeks are red and they the teeth are giving him pain.
    i cant work out why i have to see this doctor again, we were only sent there due to his hip dysplacia query, unless she doesnt know he was discharged.
    the letter says welfare and development check, guess i will find out tuesday.

query solved, did a quick google, Doctors' Developmental exam is done between 9-12 months.
    An appointment will be sent by post.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/PrimaryCare/pcteams/dublinsouthpcts/dunlaoghaireglasthulepct/childhealth.html

A doctor check must be a new thing, my older boy was never checked by anyone other than a PHN. Interesting.

Well I have a completely different baby today!! He has just been laughing all day, I'm weak :) He has also stopped spitting out his food thank goodness- I don't think he ate a morsel for 2 weeks!

• Advertisement

It's so great when that happens! My fella has been in flying f I emailed again lately. And has cut his first 2 teeth! :-)

Ladies, did your cycles change after breastfeeding? I have had my first b proper cycle after first period. It went from my regular 28/29 days to 33 days and I ovulated 3 days later too. I never really suffered from pms but on this cycle I had mild nausea and head aches from mid cycle to current period and still feel a bit off 3 days into AF. Unfortunately, cos I never had pms nausea ever before, I got quite excited that I might be pregnant. :-(

Hi ladies & babies, it's been quiet here lately, we are all super busy I guess!!

How is everyone doing?

My little spud had his development check up with the PHN yesterday. All good at just over 9 months - he passed all his little 'tests' ;) It was super cute in the waiting room, there were 3 other babies - all in for the same stage check - and they were all fascinated with each other and tried to make friends :D

Lately I've been realising that he is tiny in comparison to all other babies and this was again proven yesterday, all the other little fellas were younger than him but way bigger! On the weight chart he is down between the 5&10 percentile! But it's consistent so she wasn't worried. He's just very small and cute. :-p To be fair, his brother was small too - still is! But I remember being told at the same check for him that he was below average weight and that I really should keep an eye on it - and it really upset me at the time. Thicker skin and different nurse now though!! It's inevitable really anyway as their dad is a small slight man (5ft7) and was a tiny boy - all his family are small.

How are all the babies doing with food? C just seems to have no appetite really, he'll eat tiny portions only, and spits a lot out too. I must move him onto less mushy food, maybe more finger food and see how he fares with that.

My older boy had his first morning in big school yesterday- all excitement! And his preschool graduation is today! Gonna be cuteness overload I'd say - I'm going to bawl probably!!

super busy is right! havent been on boards in ages, nice to pop back in and catch up.

How is your older fella doing with moving to big school? How are you doing with him moving on?! I get a bit emotional thinking about how quickly my guy has grown up already and he's only 9.5 months!

My fella is doing fine. we had his 9 month check on his 9-month birthday. All good, thankfully. and no vaccines this time, which was a relief. I wanted to get his lead levels checked as it is a problem in houses in this city we live in and our doctor gave us a letter for it but with health insurance here we have to go to another company to get his blood drawn and tested. still haven't organised that... He is short and chunky! 28% height and 72% weight. the doc took one look at his 5"7' dad and was like, 'he's fine'!

He is loving his grub (probably why he is so chunky). We've been doing something similar to baby-led weaning from the start. The fear was awful for the first week or so, I was beside myself a few times thinking he was going to choke but we didn't have any choking issues and he learned to move food around his mouth very well and spit it out if needed. TBH I'm glad we did it as with me being back to work I have no time to prep special food for him and our local supermarket doesn't really do baby stuff. We give him veg and meat from our dinners. for lunch a combo of fruit, scrambled egg with some veg in it, toast with peanut butter. breakfast is always wheetabix. Every time he takes a new food, he does this funny little apprehensive taste with his tongue, like he's afraid it'll be awful! But he has taken everything we gave him so far. thought seems to have gone off strawberries and peaches recently. Finger foods that he found easy to manage at the start are cooked broccoli and big-chip-sized carrots. broccoli are perfect, he holds the stalk and chews the head off. large soft fruit are good too, like one huge strawberry, a peeled peach or peeled kiwi. he can hold them and take little mushy bites off them. I give him pre-loaded spoons of wheetabix for breakfast. It goes everywhere but he is getting the hang of the spoon now. His dad is an awful fussy eater and really hates certain textures (like he has puked from mistakenly biting into a tomato slice in a sandwich before) so I was hoping to avoid that by exposing R to lots of different textures and foods early. He seems to enjoy holding foods, picking them up and biting into them (dropping them on the floor...), it keeps him happy and I find it very entertaining to watch him eat!

we now have a nanny 2 days a week. my husband has him the other 3 days. She is doing great with him, he gets on great with her. she is mid 20s and was a teacher for a while. She normally nannys for my friend's child, but my friend is off for the summer so we took her on just for the summer. we're lucky, we didn't have to go searching for someone. this is the first time he is being minded by someone else, it did make me feel a bit weird at times. but I think it is good for him to be with someone other than the two of us all the time! what are yer child care arrangements? or are any of ye even back to work yet?! #jealous

Hello ladies! how are ye and your bubs doing? I'm just getting over a bout of mastitis and R has a lingering chesty cough that wakes him at night - fun! He'll be 10 months tomorrow. Talk about time flying!

Hi Ladies, it's been a while! Glad to hear the babies are all flying! Can't believe your eldest is growing up so fast Karmella, but these last 9 months have flown!

AJ had his 9 mo check up a couple weeks ago. He is 98th for weight and 97th for height.😮 He's a biggie at 11.5kg and 77 cm. AJ doing a half crawl shuffle and standing leaning on objects moving around them. No sit still anymore! This has also led to nursing strikes as he doesn't want to spend the time on it. A bit better now but we will only have 2-3 feeds under the day. Mommy = jungle gym

I am back to work next month and dreading it! Hubby lost his job and hasn't been called in for anything else so it looks like he will be minding AJ. I will have to start leaving him more so they get used to each other, I have only been away for 4 hrs max one time, otherwise just a couple hours a few times.

Just wondering Mia, does R take any expressed milk while you are gone still? Not sure if I need to buy a pump or if he will be fine on water and solids. AJ loves food thank goodness.

Hope you and R feel better soon!

Ladies, did your cycles change after breastfeeding? I have had my first b proper cycle after first period. It went from my regular 28/29 days to 33 days and I ovulated 3 days later too. I never really suffered from pms but on this cycle I had mild nausea and head aches from mid cycle to current period and still feel a bit off 3 days into AF. Unfortunately, cos I never had pms nausea ever before, I got quite excited that I might be pregnant. :-(

Couldn't answer this question before... AF just came back yesterday even though still bf, however he isn't nursing as much as he is so distracted but we still have 2 night feeds.

Will see next month re cycle length, but I definitely had nausea about 2 days before my period and pain in my groin. I would have only had that on the odd bad period before.

Hi ladies! It's been a while but so nice to hear all you mammies and babies are doing well. A has just turned 9 months and I'm back to work next month, dreading it! We are still bf and BLW but no sign of af which is disappointing as we are going to start ttc this month. (can't believe I know what all those fecking acronyms stand for now!)

Oh and good luck to everyone ttc, we must be mad wanting to do it again so soon!!!

• Advertisement

Hi ladies! It's been a while but so nice to hear all you mammies and babies are doing well. A has just turned 9 months and I'm back to work next month, dreading it! We are still bf and BLW but no sign of af which is disappointing as we are going to start ttc this month. (can't believe I know what all those fecking acronyms stand for now!)

Hi FurBabyMomma, there is a secret group on Facebook for breastfeeding mothers who are ttc but not wean, if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you the name of the girl to message for inclusion.

Advertisement