Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I am back to work next month and dreading it! Hubby lost his job and hasn't been called in for anything else so it looks like he will be minding AJ. I will have to start leaving him more so they get used to each other, I have only been away for 4 hrs max one time, otherwise just a couple hours a few times.

Just wondering Mia, does R take any expressed milk while you are gone still? Not sure if I need to buy a pump or if he will be fine on water and solids. AJ loves food thank goodness.

Hope you and R feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm on the mend. Although I got a reaction to the sun over the weekend, despite factor 50. The antibiotics I'm on can make your skin photosensitive, apparently. Lovely itchy rash now :/

Yes, R takes two bottles of pumped milk. I went back to work when he was 3 months so he is very used to his 2 bottles by now but is starting to drink less. 4oz before lunch, down from 5-6, and about 2- 3 oz at 4pm down from 5oz (American oz). I bf him before i leave the house and when i walk in the door at 6. He loves his milk! I think it will be a while before he weans. It might be a different story for your guy. I've read on boards and else where that babies can do fine with water and solids during the day when Mum is at work, so I guess different things suit different babies :) that being said, having a bottle of milk for daddy to offer him when you're at work might make the transition a bit easier on ye all :)

A pump would be handy for yourself during the day anyway, just to ease the fullness and keep your supply up if you aren't weaning him just yet.

Hi ladies! It's been a while but so nice to hear all you mammies and babies are doing well. A has just turned 9 months and I'm back to work next month, dreading it! We are still bf and BLW but no sign of af which is disappointing as we are going to start ttc this month. (can't believe I know what all those fecking acronyms stand for now!)

What is AF? I'm not up on the lingo.

Best of luck, ladies!!

We won't be TTC for another couple of years yet, mainly as we'll be changing jobs and moving country in the next couple of years so want to leave it till we're a bit more stable. Although not too late as I'm no spring chicken But tbh I'd love to go again soon! A couple of my friends here are pregnant and our neighbour just had a baby girl last month (sooo tiny!! Was R Ever that tiny??) Lots of broodiness these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

What is AF? I'm not up on the lingo.

AF is aunt flow, or period☺

Not ttc myself, I would have liked my period to stay away longer tbh! But know a few ladies from my bf group who are. Fair play I say! I just couldn't do it yet myself, little man is so energetic I am shattered and couldn't imagine looking after another just yet. Maybe when he realises he can't launch head first off our 4 ft high bed....

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Maybe when he realises he can't launch head first off our 4 ft high bed....

Funny you should mention this - had an awful scare today. C is the most hyper wriggly baby - never stops moving. Anyway, I think I mentioned before I've a prosthetic arm so sometimes it's hard to hold him. We were at the park today and he decided it would be a great idea to launch himself over my shoulder, and he fell face splat onto the concrete - like it must've been a 5ft drop. The poor baby was screaming and deathly pale and his face was all grazed and I just felt awful! Anyway he calmed a little bit and fell asleep and I drove home deliberating about ringing the doctor.

I cleaned his cuts and he woke up an hour later and he awas perfect - laughing, crawling around and causing general mischief as usual. It's amazing! I did ask my friend for advice - she's a doctor who works in a paediatric a&e and she said if he's back to normal it's good and to just keep an eye on him. its fortuitous that his free GP card arrived today :)

So good luck to all those ttc'ing - I certainly won't be joining ye lol. Even if I wasn't single now I was always cutting myself off at 2 and the age of 39 anyway. I'm done!!! :)

Karmella wrote: »
    Funny you should mention this - had an awful scare today. C is the most hyper wriggly baby - never stops moving. Anyway, I think I mentioned before I've a prosthetic arm so sometimes it's hard to hold him. We were at the park today and he decided it would be a great idea to launch himself over my shoulder, and he fell face splat onto the concrete - like it must've been a 5ft drop. The poor baby was screaming and deathly pale and his face was all grazed and I just felt awful! Anyway he calmed a little bit and fell asleep and I drove home deliberating about ringing the doctor.

I cleaned his cuts and he woke up an hour later and he awas perfect - laughing, crawling around and causing general mischief as usual. It's amazing! I did ask my friend for advice - she's a doctor who works in a paediatric a&e and she said if he's back to normal it's good and to just keep an eye on him. its fortuitous that his free GP card arrived today :)

So good luck to all those ttc'ing - I certainly won't be joining ye lol. Even if I wasn't single now I was always cutting myself off at 2 and the age of 39 anyway. I'm done!!! :)

Ah that must have given ye both a fright! Glad to hear he is OK, the wiggler! It's amazing how quickly they recover, isn't it? R hopped his forehead on the edge of a wooden bed end on Sunday, massive ugly bump and bruise came up straight away. Today there is nothing, you wouldn't know anything happened. Kept a close eye on him since Sunday though.

Yeah 2 would be plenty for me too although hubs says he wants like 5. I tell him that if he wants any more than the first 2 he'll have to have them with other women! I'm 34 at the moment so hope to have the second by the time I'm 38ish. But sure we'll see how it goes :)

• Advertisement

Belated happy 4 th of July, comongethappy! We had fun celebrating with our little American :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hi ladies. Good to hear from you all. Gosh, some of those scares with babbas put the hair up on the back of my neck! Such a fright!

My little guy has just turned 9months. Doing well. Big and bold. Loves his grub. Bit lazy on the floor but in a can't be arsed kinda way! Only just sitting up independently now. Was very slow to grasp it, preferred to be rolling around instead. Everyth9ing else on par, thankfully.

Back to work next week. (shudder). What a fast 10months that was. Have his minder well broken in. FX it works out.

Comeon, I'm also ttc but it's taking a couple of months for my cycles to get back on track (bit irregular still whereby before were bang on 28/29days) but this cycle seems the most "normal" so far so FX again. I gave up bfing for this reason alone (with a heavy heart, mind) as age not on my side. Weaned off night feed at 4.5mths and completely by almost 6mths. Got AF the following month but I think stopping the nights and the gradual supplementing helped there. Agree with the FB page. Lots of advice there.

Best of luck 73trix, both for going back to work and TTC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi FurBabyMomma, there is a secret group on Facebook for breastfeeding mothers who are ttc but not wean, if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you the name of the girl to message for inclusion.

Oh thanks so much comongethappy, would you believe I joined that group just recently? small world :D

Oh no Karmella! I don't think boys have any sense of danger, glad he is alright! Happy belated 4th MIA! I'm glad you found the group furbabymomma.

So... I'm back in work Monday... Tried on all 8 pairs of work trousers... One fits. A lot of tops and dresses are too small in the boobs... So depressing! Friday will be a shop day for me, I have two massive bags of clothes I one day aspire to fit back into!

AJ kept sleep crawling in our bed last night, exhausted now! I can't imagine how shattered I will be this time next week 😰

• Advertisement

I feel your pain comongethappy! My shape has changed! Never had boobs to speak of before so they're not fitting into anything and I'm heavier. I've some clothes that I've put at the back of my wardrobe for when I get back to 'normal'...

Best of luck with going back to work. It'll be tough in more ways than one but you can do it :) have a good rant about it here anyway!

Well how did the ladies who went back to work get on? I've 4 weeks left now before I go back...eek!!

Selecting an au pair has proved to be a complete nightmare. I selected a girl, Italian, who had experience here before and had friends here so knew the area and from skyping her English seemed ok. All good I thought, but it was always like I was chasing her, and then I had to fight to get her to agree to start mid August which she did, said she would look at flights. And well that's the last I heard of her. The following week I texted her to see if she'd got her flight, no reply - I texted a week later, and again Sunday, and then on Monday I told her to shove it. She obviously decided not to come but didn't think it necessary to tell me. And it was whatsapp so I knew she'd read all the messages and been online. Cow.
    Anyway so I'm back on the hunt this week, and in fairness it's been a much more positive experience- there are a few girls who are here already so I can actually meet them in person which will make a huge difference. I'm doing it through a Facebook group now, and I got a great laugh when I got an application from a seriously hot Brazilian dude :D
    Can you imagine the tongue wagging that would go on ha ha!!! I sent his profile to my ex and told him I was hiring him. He didn't believe me alas :)

Anyway, onto baby. Well My little scamp is like someone possessed - he never stops moving, trying to climb up on everything, to climb out of everything- high chair, buggy, you name it. It's brilliant but exhausting at the same time!! It's still all crawling- no cruising yet. My older boy started cruising at 9 months but never took a step on his own til 15 months (now that was exhausting!!) so I'm happy for this little guy to take his time!

I was in a play area this week and there was a little dot of a girl running around - I asked her mother what she she was and she said 11 months!! :o Shocked I was!

He's finally starting to eat for me, although his portions are still tiny.

Anyway, hope ye and your babies are all well!

That's awful Karmella! Hope you find someone who you are happy with soon!

Sounds like your little man is flying! I miss AJ when I am away, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. He is with his dad and they are finding the adjustment a bit tough. He won't sleep unless they are out walking, but then he only sleeps 30 min at a time and won't do his longer afternoon nap. I wasn't going to pump, but he doesn't feed when I get home and waits for bedtime, so I try to have 2-3 oz for him. I pump on lunch. I hate it as it is so isolating. No one in my team area bf either so they don't really understand why I am doing it.

That's awful Karmella! Hope you find someone who you are happy with soon!

Sounds like your little man is flying! I miss AJ when I am away, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. He is with his dad and they are finding the adjustment a bit tough. He won't sleep unless they are out walking, but then he only sleeps 30 min at a time and won't do his longer afternoon nap. I wasn't going to pump, but he doesn't feed when I get home and waits for bedtime, so I try to have 2-3 oz for him. I pump on lunch. I hate it as it is so isolating. No one in my team area bf either so they don't really understand why I am doing it.

Oh that's quite sad that you don't have any support at work. I work with a load of men so I'd imagine I'd be met with similar bewilderment and also juvenile remarks. Honestly they are like kids sometimes!!

They still have not agreed if I can have reduced hours. I normally work a 40 hr week and I'm trying to reduce it to 4 days. But apparently my manager doesn't like 4 day weeks and would rather I worked 5 shorter days. Which is fine, I suppose, just need to agree the times. So that's my job for next week - to discuss with them again. Wish me luck!

Hello ladies, gosh it sounds so weird to hear all this back to work talk! I'm back to work this week, but on 4 days to start. My first couple of weeks back will be easy enough but will get a lot tougher after that. Dreading it!!! Miss my bubs :(

However, I think I'm pregnant!!! Well I am according to 2 tests, getting it confirmed at the doctor on Friday. I'm totally in shock as I am still bf and still hadn't got my AF back! I think I'm about 4 weeks along. EEEK!!!!!! :D

Hello ladies, gosh it sounds so weird to hear all this back to work talk! I'm back to work this week, but on 4 days to start. My first couple of weeks back will be easy enough but will get a lot tougher after that. Dreading it!!! Miss my bubs :(

However, I think I'm pregnant!!! Well I am according to 2 tests, getting it confirmed at the doctor on Friday. I'm totally in shock as I am still bf and still hadn't got my AF back! I think I'm about 4 weeks along. EEEK!!!!!! :D

Oooh congrats!!! That's cool :)
    I've been awarded 4 days which is great but still no au pair ....

Yeah the first few weeks are the worst but it will get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

God congratulations.
    That's great news. Fun times ahead!!

Congrats Furbabymomma!

I'm glad you have 4 day weeks now Karmella.

I miss AJ when I am at work, however, I feel I have a bit of the old me back which is nice. It's definitely not as bad as you think!

That's great you got the 4 days Karmella, I'm only on it for a few months but i hope to convince them to continue it. Good luck with the au pair search.

Thanks for all the well wishes, pregnancy was confirmed today at the GP so have to wait now for my scan to find out exactly how far along I am. Surprised, delighted and terrified all at once!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Quick msg. Fabulous news FBM. Thats' amazing and you still bfing. Gave up bfing at 5months so as not to delay fertility returning. TTC here aswell. Well done! No.2? :)

• Advertisement

73trix wrote: »
    Quick msg. Fabulous news FBM. Thats' amazing and you still bfing. Gave up bfing at 5months so as not to delay fertility returning. TTC here aswell. Well done! No.2? :)

Oh good luck 73trix, I hope you get your bfp! Yes, this will be no. 2. Very excited to have a sibling for A :)

Congrats fbm!! Wonderful news! How are you feeling so far? Wishing you all the best :)

Hey gals, so is anyone else's little one super clingy and making strange right now?! (11.5 months)

I finally found my au pair and she moved in during the week although has not really 'started' yet, just getting settled in the house. She's great, very friendly and we got on really well when we met. she and my 4 year old have really hit it off but the baby is another matter altogether :( For the first day he would just burst into tears every time he saw her, and now at least he has stopped that, but I cannot leave the room or his line of vision and he bawls. And if she picks him up he will continue to bawl. Now at least I know that it's not her, my dad called today and he was the same with him, but I can't help feeling that the poor girl thinks that the baby hates her! (This is compounded by the fact that she is Asian so I'm probably feeling doubly sensitive for her, like oh god I really don't have a racist baby I swear!!! :-0)

I'm just so stressed because he has been so clingy for the last couple of weeks and I cannot put him down or even sit down for a breather and he wants to be up. And then my useless ex picked now to go on a 2 week bender which is showing no sign of finishing so I had to finally tell him to not come near us so I've not had a single break in over 3 weeks. And I just am so worried that the baby won't come round to her, but I just hope it's because he's teething and that it's all going to be ok....

Aargh!!! Sorry I just really needed to rant. I'm flipping exhausted :(

So sorry to hear that Karmella! Can't believe the behaviour of your ex. AJ super clingy as well, went out to a birthday dinner tonight after putting AJ to bed, he woke and wouldn't let my hubby resettle him, screamed blue murder when hubby rang me to come home - I was so panicked I forgot to pay my bit so I owe someone money 😯

I'm not sure if it is a development thing or because I am back in work. He is in bed with us for most the night. Hopefully your wee man will 2 warm to her in another week or so

Delighted you got the au pair sorted Karmella, but pity your ex is being so useless. If it's any consolation A is making strange too. She has a real thing about her Grandad atm, she screams when she sees him and he's so soft he's wicked upset about it. In the last week or so my perfect, smiley baby has also discovered tantrums. It's such a shock to the system!!! It's normally when changing her nappy, putting her in a seat or not putting her down when she wants. I'm wondering too if it's developmental or because I'm back at work, comongethappy.

Good to know other little ones are making strange as well, to be honest I think it is developmental and also the upheaval with us leaving them. I went back to work at 7 months the last time and I don't remember him being so strange or upset. So maybe around the 10/11 month mark they just start being cross and cranky. Like you furbabymomma my baby was happy smiley and always laughing but now he is just whining and crying all the time. I'm sure he'll grow out of it but it's so hard to deal with!!

Oh I hope they grow out of it Karmella, I'd say she's cried more this week than the whole rest of her life!!! But I suppose at this age they're letting us know they're almost toddlers, not little babies anymore *sob*.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any particular plans for 1st birthdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi all. Glad everyone getting on ok. My lad will be one on 26 th the same day my oldest is starting school. Can't believe it. My second turns 3 two days before him
    For birthday we are getting a family photography session. Going to an area where there's a lake and gardens.

Did a photo session when he was 7 weeks
    Seems like d other day. Can't believe when I look that he is so small.

Party wise we will just have a double cake as it's grandad birthday too on same day as middle child.
    Probably invite a few over to it.
    But nothing major. It's too much hassle cleaning up at the moment
    I'm stressed!!!

That sounds lovely monflat. It's great you have so much to celebrate. Although I can imagine it's stressful alright :D

• Advertisement

That is a lovely idea monflat :) Yes I can just imagine how stressed you must be !!
    I never did birthday parties for my older boy (his 4th was the first party) but we always did cake & candles at home just us. Or my dad would come over but that would be it.
    However I feel like doing something nice this year because I've been busy lately with the house reorganising and painting and getting new furniture and I'd like to show it off a little as well as have a celebration. Just going to have family and a few close friends (& their kids) I think.

In fairness I think we could do with a bit of happiness & celebration in our lives, it's been a long hard 18 months.

Advertisement