Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

A little update, the teething must be over because my happy smiley baby came back yesterday and I left the house for 3 hours and they all got on great, he didn't cry once!!! Phew!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Karmella wrote: »
    A little update, the teething must be over because my happy smiley baby came back yesterday and I left the house for 3 hours and they all got on great, he didn't cry once!!! Phew!!! :D

Yay delighted for you Karmella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

HI ladies! Been a while since I was on boards. Glad to see ye are getting on well. We were in Ireland for a holiday, my god that was busy. Of course no one had any interest in myself and hubs, it was all about the boy! We had a lovely but exhausting time introducing him to family and friends around the country. It was awful leaving them though. My parents are heart broken :( oh the guilt

R has changed so much in the month and it is really noticeable now that I see him back in our apartment. We had to put the side up on his cot as he is just climbing over everything (we had it as a cosleeper beside me). I think he will be bored with just us, he got so much attention in Ireland. Back in work today, with the aim to work really hard and get back to Europe/Ireland in the next year or so!

He turned one while we were there and we had a nice little dinner with both sets of grandparents. As he was born 3 weeks early, I think he's the oldest baby here. Who is next to turn 1? I can't believe it has been a year already :O

Sounds like ye had a great trip - well the baby did anyway :) Nice that ye got to celebrate his birthday with family too. My boy is on the 9th he was 2 weeks early, but I'm sure there was another couple before me.

I'm back to work tomorrow! It's been just over a year since I left :D I'm going to be sooooo brain dead for the first few weeks, no use to anyone probably! They are really busy though so I'm going to have to hit the ground running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Great you had a good time back home mia. Ur lad second of the babies if my memory serves me right my fella was one on the 26 th he was born around 11.
    He's terrible for climbing. Up 8 steps of stairs cause sisters left stair Gate open.
    He climbs on everything. Out in garden the other day he climbs up on sand box. Once door is opened he's gone out. !

God you've had a nice few months extra off Karmella how do you feel about going back?
    I'd love to be at home all the time now. !! No hope!

• Advertisement

@Karmella best of luck with going back to work! it'll be an adjustment but you'll be grand. are you back full time?

@monflat my guy was the 26th too! 12.21pm Irish time, so your guy is a smidge older :)

Any walkers yet? R is just cruising around holding on to things. He got really spoiled by the grandparents walking him around holding his hands all the time, something we can't keep up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Glad to hear all your babies are doing well. Glad you got a chance to come back to Ireland for a bit MIA.

Can't believe we have 1 year old in our group already! My parents are coming over for AJ's 1st and my dad is paying for us to go out, so having friends and family out for finger food at local restaurant. He wants to make a big deal of it even though I would have been happy at the house.

I'm redundant in Oct so going home for Xmas with AJ, just dreading the 8.5 hr flight :-○

Glad to hear all your babies are doing well. Glad you got a chance to come back to Ireland for a bit MIA.

Can't believe we have 1 year old in our group already! My parents are coming over for AJ's 1st and my dad is paying for us to go out, so having friends and family out for finger food at local restaurant. He wants to make a big deal of it even though I would have been happy at the house.

I'm redundant in Oct so going home for Xmas with AJ, just dreading the 8.5 hr flight :-○

Aw sounds like you'll have a lovely 1st birthday celebration, comon :)

Do you mean you've been made redundant from your job? sorry to hear that.

Will you be flying by yourself with AJ? The flight to Ireland was ok for us as it was an overnight and R slept a lot of it (he also had a bad cold which made him sleep more I think). The flight back to the US was during the day and a bit more challenging. He had two shortish naps and we fed him food twice and I breastfed him a few times. But there was a lot of time in between to keep him entertained! There was an empty row with extra legroom near us that we went to play in a few times to let him crawl/cruise around to stretch his legs. I just had him as a lap infant but luckily the seat beside us was free so we had a bit more space. bring lots of different toys! R got bored very quickly.

oh I spoke too soon. R had a terrible night. went to sleep at 7.30pm. he usually will sleep till 2 or 3am when he wakes for a quick snack then back to sleep till 6ish, sometimes will wake once for soother before then. last night he woke at 10.30 wanting to feed and wouldn;t go back to sleep. I brought him in to bed with me, which usually works if he's still awake. not this time! he mooched and whinged for hours, feeding frequently but not being satisfied. I think he drained me. I was pacing the room with him, which I haven't had to do for a long time. finally went to sleep in between us at about 5am needing both Mum and Dad's hands on him. I think he was looking for more milk from me. He hasn't drank much from his bottles during the day for Dad this week, I was thinking he might be weaning himself. But now I think he doesn't like the frozen milk anymore and was holding out for the fresh stuff. My back is killing me today after it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 At Witts End

Hi Sept Mams,

New here to this, just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I have 3kids, and my youngest turned 1on wed. For the last few weeks he has turned into this Devil Spawn (which I dearly love), but I am really at my witts end trying to figure out how to help/change/stop this behaviour. The issue is that every time he sees me he screams, really high pitched screams and cries and cries and gets in a huge state of tears, you would swear that he has been physically hurt or injured.....along with this now he is starting to throw himself backwards, he did this to my husband the other day becasue I didn't pick him up and ended up hurting his head off the wall :(. If I am not around he is grand a perfect happy little chappy that he always was it is just when he sees me or hears me that this starts.......and it has become so constant now that he just constantly wants to be up......I have tried putting him in his playpen/travel cot with toys and leave him cry it out for a time, I have tried calming him down with out actually picking him up, I have tried to distract him with something else.......I have never had anything as intense as this with my other children, and I'm not even sure that I am explaining this right, but all I know is I hate the fact that I have called him the Devil Spawn because I love him so much but after his bed time he has me in tears because it has been such a stressful day....I don't even get to read my other two kids their bedtime stories because I'm so stressed and I haven't the energy to do anything.....sorry for ranting on but if anyone has any advice or help it would be really very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi there welcome!!
    I have 3 too and my little lad just gone 1
    God has ur circumstances changed recently.
    Are you working or away more than usual?
    Is it his way of looking for more attention.
    I just can't get anything done lately My little lad does be whinging and constantly pulling out of my leg.
    Is he doing it at any particular time of the day?

What ages are the other children.
    Did he start this when they started school etc?

Has the routine changed.??

Teeth? Sick? Feeling off?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm on my first baby so I don't have much experience to offer, just sympathy :)

Sorry to hear about your trouble at Wits End. Have you gone back to work recently? It took a good month for my son not to need to be held all the time when I came through the door. It is only him though so I can't imagine the stress of trying to divide time between other kids.

MIA, not to worry, happy to be made redundant. Yep, travelling on my own so dreading it. I have reserved a seat in the bassinet area. I think he will be too big for the bassinet, just hoping that the greater room in front will give him space to play a bit. I imagine we will be walking up and down loads, and I will bring loads of snacks to try to keep him happy. I will keep bf till after the trip as I want to have that comfort available for him. The nappy bag will have loads of toys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Sorry for butting in everyone, at wits end are you sure you don't have my child? Ha. But my Lil girl is 1 in two weeks and you just described her exactly, she is so stuck on me I can't go to the toilet, and she throws herself back like your fella all the time. I've no advice only I know what you are going through and it is so frustrating. I find what helps us is getting out of the house, my mother only lives a few minutes away and when I bring her up to see my mam she's as good as gold in her house, plays away by herself and no tantrums. Dunno where I'm going wrong.

I think it's an age / development stage thing. My little boy was so clingy for a good couple of months but he seems to have calmed a bit now in the last couple weeks. He's 1 this week. It coincided with some teething aswell. I was breaking in an au pair and for the first week she was there he would bawl every time he saw her, or so it seemed anyway! He just wanted to be up all the time and whenever I left his line of vision he would just cry and cry and only taking him back would soothe him. Like you I was exhausted and at my wits end aswell!!!
    Now this won't work for everyone but all along since he was tiny anytime he heard Taylor Swift Shake it off he would stop crying. I had actually forgotten about it, but we decided to try it and well it worked!!! They kindof bonded over it - and we discovered he's also a huge Uptown Funk fan :D So basically anytime he is upset she plays music for him and he just starts grooving away. It's adorable really!! I went back to work last week and it has been all good with them. Such a relief!

Anyway my long winded point is maybe try to find something other than you that will soothe or distract your little one. Distraction is the key!!!

Great to hear your au pair is working out well, karmella.

I think I have the night time version of your clingy child for the past week. R is now waking very frequently at night, like every hour from about midnight, and wants bfeeding and me, nothing else or he'll wail. I've been bringing him in to bed with Me after the first few attempts to get him settled back in his cot. He does sleep more in our bed but I can't sleep with him beside me, just awkward. He was sleeping so well, waking once or twice for just a few minutes. What happened?! I'm So tired!

Yep I think there's a big leap around 1. My lo has discovered tantrums and throwing herself back. Have you tried putting him in a sling or carrier At Wits End? Gives him closeness while letting you get stuff done.

+1 on the sling, it has saved my back manys a time.

R still not sleeping great. I've kicked hubby out of our bed as it was too small for the three of us, at least we aren't so scrunched up. We have his 1 year check up on Wednesday so I'll see what the doc thinks, if R is teething or what. He was pretty whingy over the weekend too. Hope he isn';t sick again :/

On the positive side, he is starting to take steps by himself!! so exciting! 4 in a row is his best so far. He seems very cautious though and will sit down if he notices it. He's only walked by himself when he's been distracted by something in his two hands.

+1 on the sling, it has saved my back manys a time.

R still not sleeping great. I've kicked hubby out of our bed as it was too small for the three of us, at least we aren't so scrunched up. We have his 1 year check up on Wednesday so I'll see what the doc thinks, if R is teething or what. He was pretty whingy over the weekend too. Hope he isn';t sick again :/

On the positive side, he is starting to take steps by himself!! so exciting! 4 in a row is his best so far. He seems very cautious though and will sit down if he notices it. He's only walked by himself when he's been distracted by something in his two hands.

Oh that's very cute mia. I'd say we will be cruising here a while longer. A doesn't even like it if you hold her hands to take a few steps, she immediately wants to sit down and bum scuttle! That being said she'd stand all feckin day if she could!

Oh and I meant to ask, did any of you suffer from insomnia while pregnant and any tips? I was an actual insomniac on tablets for years before I got pregnant with A and my insomnia just disappeared. I seem to be regressing this time around though, I'm awake by 4am and stay awake and in exhausted. The last two nights have been 2am wakings. I'm really worried as I will literally cease functioning if I go back to how I used to be :(

• Advertisement

My sleep was very affected when I was pregnant and I heard that a lot of women have sleep issues when pregnant. Even before I got a big bump, I'd be wide awake from 3, 4, 5am. I'm usually not a morning person at all!! It was a pain. No major tips, although when you do wake up try to stay away from your phone or any screens. The light wakes up your brain and makes it even worse, so I've been told. Hope it is just a temporary pregnancy thing for you.

Hi ladies, how are ye all doing? hope all is good with you and your bubs. All going fine with us, pretty much. R is still toddling around holding on to stuff and is showing no signs of wanting to walk properly bar a few steps. I got him a little push cart in ikea and pushing it is his favourite thing to do at the moment, over and back the floor. He throws a mini tantrum when we take him away from it. Actually, he is starting to be way more tantrumy in general. I'm finding it isn't too hard to deal with at the moment, but it is kinda driving his dad nuts sometimes. he doesn't have much patience for him when he is whingy. R is still waking a few times a night so we are all a bit sleep deprived. That isn't helping his Dad who isn't feeling well this long while, exhausted and keeps getting colds, so he's going to a doctor this week to get himself checked out. He runs a lot so he might just be overtrained. Fingers crossed it is something small.

We had R's 1 yr chekcup on the 16th. Doc was happy with him in general. Four injections, poor baba. She said he is teething at the back. I told her about his sickness on the holiday and she reckons, based on his symptoms, that it wasn't an ear infection at all but something viral. Also, she said that with an ear infection, the ear can take 12 weeks to go back to normal and it is obvious from looking in it, and his are perfect after 5 weeks. And, even if she does prescribe antibiotics, it would be 2ml twice a day, rather than the 5 ml three times a day that I had to do. 2ml twice a day would be so much easier. So all that torture of trying to force the antibiotics down his throat was probably unnecessary. I was a bit traumatised from it and R was not a happy bunny either. I'm actually quite angry that we got such a sh1t doctor on holidays. I can't remember if I posted about it here, but R was quite sick (fever, lethargic, not eating, runny nappy, cough, very unhappy) and we had a choice of wait 2 hours for a doctor in a larger town or see one straight away in a small town. I wanted to wait for the doc in the larger town as I thought they might have more kids there and be better, and another of the small town docs is known to be sh1t, but my husband (who is from the small town) said that my concerns were rubbish and we should go to the small town doc. We found out later that the small town doc is crap in general. Who I am angry at, I'm not quite sure. Mostly myself for agreeing to go but also my husband for saying my concerns were rubbish and convincing me to go to him. This has been bothering me for a while, needed to get it off my chest!!

I think he is a little slow with his speech, he babbles away but no distinct words yet. The doc was asking if he says anything like 'mama' or 'dada', his is more like a stream of sounds. If he does want something, he points and grunts like a wee cave man. I'd say that he should grow out of that but his Dad isn't too far from it sometimes!

How is the baby bump coming along Furbabymomma? Hope your sleep is better.

Hey ladies! Glad to hear all the babies are flying. Despite tantrums!

MIA, AJ was the same. He would take a few steps, realise he was walking, then down on the bum! Today was the first time he did a proper walk - he walked across the kitchen to me in the hall when I came home today ðŸ˜. He's taken a few shorter walks and still walks along stuff loads and crawls. AJ babbling loads, but no clear words... maybe uh-oh but not used in any context.

Also not sleeping great for the most part, looking to feed about 3 times during the night. Goes down in his cot okay but when he wakes he wants in bed with us and screams till we take him in. Last night managed to get him in his crib around 2:30 am and he first woke when I got up at 6:30... It felt like I had a full nights sleep! Now during his tantrums, he falls to the floor with his head down crying... Usually because he has to wait on food...

What injections do.they get in the states at 1 yr? I think it is only MMR here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

long time since ive posted
    hope all are well
    my small fella is doing well, no steps as yet only sofa surfing
    he is almost 3 foot tall, going to be a giant lol
    sleeps from 7 till 7 or 8 every night so thats a blessing
    picking up a new word every day and started putting two together now
    he has had a cold now for 2 weeks, seems to be on the end of it now

Hey ladies! Glad to hear all the babies are flying. Despite tantrums!

MIA, AJ was the same. He would take a few steps, realise he was walking, then down on the bum! Today was the first time he did a proper walk - he walked across the kitchen to me in the hall when I came home today ðŸ˜. He's taken a few shorter walks and still walks along stuff loads and crawls. AJ babbling loads, but no clear words... maybe uh-oh but not used in any context.

Also not sleeping great for the most part, looking to feed about 3 times during the night. Goes down in his cot okay but when he wakes he wants in bed with us and screams till we take him in. Last night managed to get him in his crib around 2:30 am and he first woke when I got up at 6:30... It felt like I had a full nights sleep! Now during his tantrums, he falls to the floor with his head down crying... Usually because he has to wait on food...

lol, R isn't good at waiting for food either!

long time since ive posted
    hope all are well
    my small fella is doing well, no steps as yet only sofa surfing
    he is almost 3 foot tall, going to be a giant lol
    sleeps from 7 till 7 or 8 every night so thats a blessing
    picking up a new word every day and started putting two together now
    he has had a cold now for 2 weeks, seems to be on the end of it now

sounds like your fella is doin great! must be so cool to hear him put words together.

Sounds like everyone's baby is happy out! A is getting cuter by the day. My insomnia is awful and it's coupled with fatigue which is a real head melt! Hoping it will all pass. And my bump is so obvious this time, had a small one with A so very different!

What injections do.they get in the states at 1 yr? I think it is only MMR here

It varies here too but I don't know why, maybe by state or insurance. R got MMR, chicken pox, Hip b, and pnuemococal something that is for bacterial meningitis.

• Advertisement

FBM, I hope you are able to get some rest! It can't be easy having a toddler and being pregnant!

Thanks MIA. I was thinking of getting the men b vaccine for AJ, might get it in Jan after I come back from the states. I forgot chicken pox vaccine was standard over there now, I might get it for AJ too as I heard it prevents shingles?

Advertisement