Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I think chicken pox and shingles come from the same virus, so it is possible but I'm not up on it.

what is the story with flu vaccinations? Is that something offered or encouraged by docs in Ireland? It is a big thing here for everyone to get, but I'm not sure if it is just a money maker.

life is a bit strained at the moment for us. WE've colds but my husband has had a bad cold/cough/throat for like 2 weeks now. He's also really exhausted which we think is from his running, possibly overtrained. And we are sorely missing our nanny. She was only here for 2 days a week, but it was bad timing to lose her with my husband being sick. He is not in good form lately! Feeling quite guilty about it, as it all boils down to us being away from Ireland/family and I'm the reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Aww mia sounds like ye are having a tough time alright, but things always seem a lot worse when sleep deprived and sick :( Please don't beat yourself up about it .... He should take a break from the running and get himself better and ye should try and get a new nanny (if at all possible). It is always hard when your support network is limited, and it is probably more so for him as social groups are probably more of the mommy-baby variety :-/ Are there any kiddy places nearby that he can bring R to? Indoor / soft play areas? Just getting out of the house for even an hour a day can make all the difference. At least the baby is becoming a toddler now and he is more interesting :) they are pretty boring for the first year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Aww hugs MIA, it's so tough when you feel like you've no support system. For the first 11 months of A's life we were living in a different city to our friends and family so I was very much on my own with the baby while hubby worked. I thought people would be flocking to babysit but I was wrong :p I'm lucky that we've moved now, not long after I went back to work, so family help with childcare. My sis lives abroad and I think being far from family makes it hard for her to want kids, it really is difficult.

Lol Karmella, I thought the first year was super interesting!!! :D Quick question: A has been standing since 10 months, she cruises around furniture and will walk short distances holding your hand or pushing a cart. But she's nearly 13 months now and she's not showing any interest in standing and walking unaided. It's like she's lacking confidence? It makes me paranoid maybe they missed something with her hip xray at 6 months, although probably unlikely. I'm inclined to leave her to it, as she seems to be a talker instead of a walker, but when should I start getting concerned? If she hasn't walked by 15 months?

Lol Karmella, I thought the first year was super interesting!!! :D Quick question: A has been standing since 10 months, she cruises around furniture and will walk short distances holding your hand or pushing a cart. But she's nearly 13 months now and she's not showing any interest in standing and walking unaided. It's like she's lacking confidence? It makes me paranoid maybe they missed something with her hip xray at 6 months, although probably unlikely. I'm inclined to leave her to it, as she seems to be a talker instead of a walker, but when should I start getting concerned? If she hasn't walked by 15 months?

Ha ha FBM I kinda meant from a dad's point of view :p
    Regarding walking - EVERY child is different :)

My older boy could push a little trolley at 10 months but didn't take a step on his own until 16 months! And the baby at 13 nearly 14 months is really only showing interest in cruising now and has no interest in taking steps whatsoever. And if I put a pair of prewalker shoes on him he goes mental. So even my 2 boys are different!

I'd say she's grand a while anyway, taking steps while holding your hand or pushing a cart is a great milestone and she'll take those steps when she's ready :)

Ah thanks ladies for your support :) It is hard being away and I'm sure there are plenty in the same boat with all the people who have moved away (although if I was living next door to my own mother I'd have another list of complaints!). It is good to have somewhere like this to vent. I must say that hubs has actually got on very well as a stay-at-home dad, but full time is a bit much for him along with being sick etc. (getting him to stop running is a whole other thing, but his doctor might make him). He does go to baby music and story time sessions a couple of times a week, and to the local playground most days. He talks to other parents there but yeah it is all mums. They are friendly to him but he hasn't made any friends from there. He hasn't really any Dad-friends or Mom-friends but he hasn't tried to make any either. I make a lot of effort to meet Mom-friends and go to groups and keep in touch with people even though I'm back at work. It sucks as I'm not really a very social person but I think I need to do it because I can't do it all in isolation!

He has a lot of fun with R which is lovely to see. In many ways I'm really glad that he gets to spend this time with him and get so close to him, which wouldn't have happened if we stayed in Ireland and he was working. I try to think of that when the whole 'he is living here because of me' thing gets me down :) (FYI we moved to the US because I got a job and hubs followed me)

We are trying to get R into a daycare here rather than another nanny (nanny is too expensive and as we found, not secure) but the waiting lists are insane. One associated with my work is very long, we signed him up the day before he was born (early) and we are now number 55 on the list! Another, we are about 15 on the list. another only takes kids at certain times of year, next intake is Jan. And the other place we found is from 18 months up, so that'll be the end of Feb. the other daycares are either way out of our price range (>$1000 a month for just 2 days a week) or like dungeons in basements. Seriously, no windows at all and no outdoor access! and still not cheap! What is childcare like in ireland, price wise?

I'm just back from a 'women's careers' seminar here and one of the main problems was access to affordable childcare! So I'm not alone. Maternity leave and imposter syndrome were the others. sigh.

Enough moaning! Yeay for all the cruising! it is such a fun stage to see them motoring along and start to wobble off. R was totally content cruising and was not happy at all if he wasn't holding on to something, he wouldnt take a step for ages. So I thought it would be ages before he took off by himself and it did take a while but he is walking properly now. (He came 3 weeks early in August so he is a bit older than most babies here). Now we are on the next level of baby proofing and he gets super excited if we chase him around the apartment, he squeals laughing and waits for us to catch him then runs/toddles off again, it is hilarious and lovely :)<3

• Advertisement

MIA I think being a stay at home parent is such a strange one after being working. It really depends on your personality. Before I gave birth I thought I'd be rushing out the door to work at 6 months. But even though I had a bit of cabin fever on my orwn with baby every day, I didn't want to go back! The only thing that made it bearable at 10 months was I was pregnant so already on a countdown. I think at this point if I could work 2 days and stay at home the others it would be perfect.

Karmella that makes more sense ;) Yeah everything in their own time. Although since I posted she's figured how to stand up from the floor unassisted for a couple of seconds so reassuring to know she will get there eventually!

MIA I think being a stay at home parent is such a strange one after being working. It really depends on your personality. Before I gave birth I thought I'd be rushing out the door to work at 6 months. But even though I had a bit of cabin fever on my orwn with baby every day, I didn't want to go back! The only thing that made it bearable at 10 months was I was pregnant so already on a countdown. I think at this point if I could work 2 days and stay at home the others it would be perfect.

Karmella that makes more sense ;) Yeah everything in their own time. Although since I posted she's figured how to stand up from the floor unassisted for a couple of seconds so reassuring to know she will get there eventually!

Part-time work would be lovely alright!

I got R a new pair of shoes. the weather is a bit colder here now and he can't go barefoot all the time so I got him a pair with a nice soft sole. He was all interested in them after I put them on him, sitting on the ground and touching them while making his 'look at the new thing!' sound (he has no words yet just sounds). It was very cute :)

Aww that is so cute. My little spud is pointing and making little sounds instead of words too. :) it's just adorable!!

He hates shoes though!! I have a couple of pairs of the soft ones from my older boy and he kinda loses it and rips the off , I'll have to persevere maybe, as he is starting to get a little stronger on the legs and socks are a disaster they are so slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I got AJ'S first pair of shoes last week, 4.5 wide. They are so dear and you get so little time out of them! He figured out how to get up and down his slide by himself :o . 4 weeks walking alot more stable though still has his drunk walk when he is tired. No words here yet, no pointing or waving either. Clapping though! Today he made the same repetition of sounds when I asked him what he said, so I think he is trying to communicate. Uh oh the only phrase here, and strings of mamamamuma when upset

• Advertisement

I got AJ'S first pair of shoes last week, 4.5 wide. They are so dear and you get so little time out of them! He figured out how to get up and down his slide by himself :o . 4 weeks walking alot more stable though still has his drunk walk when he is tired. No words here yet, no pointing or waving either. Clapping though! Today he made the same repetition of sounds when I asked him what he said, so I think he is trying to communicate. Uh oh the only phrase here, and strings of mamamamuma when upset

Yes the Clarks are fierce expensive alright! I remember the first pair I bought for E and thinking jeez I wouldn't spend this much on a pair of shoes for myself :p And I can only find one of them as well! But C is much later getting on his feet anyway so maybe the 2nd pair I got will do him. Suppose I'll have to get him measured anyway. No doubt he's a completely different size!

Ah the drunk tired walk! So funny!

How are the little babs doing?
    My little guy got croup last weekend. It's nasty out. Well it sounds an awful lot worse than it actually is, but grim all the same. I rang the out of hours doc last Sunday morning because he had an awful wheeze and a cough that sounded like a seal - a real bark. Anyway it was a quick consult and he confirmed my google search that it was croup. And its viral so there's nothing to be done really. So I just had to sit there (or lie there all night) and listen to the wheeze for 3 days :( Everyone at work said it was doing the rounds right now. He was happy enough in himself but at night it was worse and he would wake himself up.
    So needless to say I am absolutely exhausted and am now sick myself with a cold :(
    So, 14 months now & he still has no interest in walking and his only words are 'uh-oh' and 'there' - so cute :) although he does kinda say night night too while waving bye bye.

Aww Karmella that sounds so nasty! I suppose this is the time of year to be picking up all sorts. I hope you are all feeling better soon xxx

Hope your little fella feels better soon Karmella!

AJ still not really talking either. I haven't heard uh oh from him in a while, he will talk to me but it's all babble. No waves, just started pointing a bit and claps loads.

Got his MMR finally on Friday. So horrible, cried solid roaring for 10 mins after and wouldn't feed to calm, kept biting me. He has had a bit if a temp and a bit off form. Just glad we got it before heading to the states as there is a mumps outbreak in my city

AJ still not really talking either. I haven't heard uh oh from him in a while, he will talk to me but it's all babble. No waves, just started pointing a bit and claps loads.

Got his MMR finally on Friday. So horrible, cried solid roaring for 10 mins after and wouldn't feed to calm, kept biting me. He has had a bit if a temp and a bit off form. Just glad we got it before heading to the states as there is a mumps outbreak in my city

Oh the poor pet, those jabs are awful. Just note that he might get a 'relapse' of the temp after a week, well my little man did anyway, he just had a high temp and was off form for a day. The doc mentioned it when she gave him the injection. When are ye flying? Hopefully it won't be then!!

Croup is doing the rounds here at the moment too. R has had a cough for a couple of weeks and its got worse in last few days, walking him up at night very upset. He threw up from coughing on Friday night, scared the hell out of me as he is not a puker usually. Brought him to the doc Saturday morning and its just a bad cough, nothing worse, we just have to ride it out. He's all stuffed up now too. Poor pet, he's miserable at night! It could be worse though. There is also some hand-foot-and-mouth disease going around the city, hope to God he doesn't get that! I regret googling it :/

No words here at all, lots of noises but nothing like he means it. He does this very throaty growl-noise when he's happy about something, like if he sees a bus. it's pretty funny.

Aw poor mite. The jabs are awful. Are ye going home for thanksgiving, is it? Have a great time. You've flown with him before?

Aw poor mite. The jabs are awful. Are ye going home for thanksgiving, is it? Have a great time. You've flown with him before?

Hi MIA, heading home for Christmas, will be our first flight! Are you heading home for the holidays?

• Advertisement

Hi MIA, heading home for Christmas, will be our first flight! Are you heading home for the holidays?

Nope, we'll be here but my parents and brother are coming over on Dec 26th for a week. I think my parents have their bags packed since September! They're dying to come over. Good luck with the flight! Bring lots of toys and snacks for entertainment :) i found that people were generally very understanding and helpful, which surprised me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

god it really is the pits when they are sick. my little man caught the vomiting bug. His first time sick bar an ear infection at 4 months. Even then, it didn't really affect him as as soon as antibiotic started he was right as rain. Seeing the little guy vomit so much was really quite awful not to mention the imposed starvation of the poor little mite. That croup is a dreadful thing. Rem my niece getting it.

My lad has a grand total of 3 words from what I can decipher - mama, dada, hiya. Otherwise a heap of babble! He is able to communicate certain things though ie when tired he will climb up on me and turn his head in to me as in bed/ nap please and if hungry , will try to eat my face! He's been a late mobiliser. Only pulling to stand the last couple weeks. Has been walking with hands held since 10months - it all plateaued then for a few months - but and now finally trying to break free, as in will take a couple of steps with one hand. Of course I put it all down to the fact that he is a big, big boy and quite heavy, hopefully nothing more to it!

No pointing or waving....yet....

Aw 73trx the vomiting bug sounds rough, poor little guy. It's so hard to see them sick. Hope it passes soon. That sounds so adorable btw, him climbing up to lay his head on you when tired. Is the no pointing/waving thing something the phn mentioned? I don't know the timing range for it.

Hope your little man is feeling better soon 73trix!

So cute he is saying a few words and using body language to communicate! He is flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Aw 73trx the vomiting bug sounds rough, poor little guy. It's so hard to see them sick. Hope it passes soon. That sounds so adorable btw, him climbing up to lay his head on you when tired. Is the no pointing/waving thing something the phn mentioned? I don't know the timing range for it.

No, haven't seen PHN for 6months but some seem to haver a big thing about sch gestures. I was having a bit of a wobble about certain milestones given his motor delay but not really now. He does gesture e.g. hands up to be picked up and above. His understanding is good I think. He knows exactly which teeny button on the remote turns TV on and off and does this over and over as a game. It's mad what they learn so young.

Back to illness, we were 48hrs vomit free and bubs was back on the grub - BRAT diet- and this morning he vomited again! :eek: Thought he as over it. It's so hard limiting his food when he is hungry. Dragging on now. It's day 6! Caredoc nurse said it can appear gone for a day and come back. he was good for 2 days! just been cleaning all his toys and his hot spots...again! Urgh.

Bit of an eventful few days here. Went down south to visit friends over thanksgiving and we weren't in the door but I hurt R's arm holding his hands going down a step and he wouldnt move the arm. it was just there by his side and he'd cry any time we touched it. Of course, we were in the middle of nowhere on a holiday evening and we'd just changed health insurance so I had a mild internal panic attack with visions of not finding a doctor or finding one but getting massive bills. I swear, fear of the health system here will drive me home. Rang our doctor's office which was closed but got put through to a nurse in the hospital who thought his shoulder was dislocated and to bring him to an emergency care center but it wasn't life threatening so no major panic. I also called a friend of mine who is a paediatrician and she said the same. I found a place 2 hr drive away. So, long story short, we gave him some dinner and then I breastfed him with the hope of putting him to sleep so we could drive there. But when feeding, he just started using the arm again and pushing himself up with it like normal. He was back to normal! No idea why or anything. Anyway, he seemed fine so we just put him to bed and he was fine since. We had his 15 month check up today so I thought we'd get him checked out then. Doc reckons it was 'Nursemaid's elbow' and some part of his elbow slipped around. So got a few xrays done to make sure he didn't chip a bone or something. all ok in the end. But also the doctor was concerned that R doesn't have any words yet. She said he should have about 2-5 words. She checked him out a bit more and said that his interaction is fine, so she didn't suspect autism, but she wants to send him for an ear test and to a speech therapist. That was a bit of a shock, I know that most kids have a few words at his age but I wasn't concerned for him as I thought it would just come in time. I told her that his Dad was very late to talk, which seemed to make her more concerned. So have to go make those appointments now. Whatever it is I'm sure we'll deal with it, but still can't help worry over it :(

spoke too soon. just got a call back from the doctor and they can see some fluid in his elbow joint on the xray. Off to make another appointment!

Oh mia that was very eventful few days alright!!! I can just imagine the panic when the little mite wasn't moving his arm?!!

I don't know what to say about the speech though, I'd be of the opinion that all kids are different but I guess if the doctor wants to check it out maybe there's no harm. :-/. My fella doesn't have many words really either, just uh-oh & no. But his dad reckons he is way more chatty than his brother at the same age... As in he is more interactive - maybe not saying an actual word but you'd know that he is shouting at his brother about something. I put it down to him having the sibling.

Like your little man is probably not around other kids all the time so maybe not so chatty as a result? I don't know - nor am I an expert!! Sure see what they say....
    He only started clapping his hands over the weekend and still has no interest in walking :)

Ps: hope his elbow is ok!?!

Thanks Karmella. We've an appointment in orthopaedics on Monday (at 8am :eek::eek:) so we'll see. He is acting normally and uses the arm fine but just to be sure.

Yeah I"m still not sure what to make of the whole speech thing. Before the doctor said anything, I knew that most kids his age have a few words and I was of the opinion that it would just come in time and that a few things might account for it like he is not in a creche, myself and his dad aren't the biggest talkers either, and his dad was a late talker. But now I think I'll make the appointments and get him checked out anyway. Sure if it is nothing then they'll reassure me of that, and if there is something we can get cracking. I was just thinking that if I didn't get it checked and he still wasn't talking by like 20 months I'd be kicking myself I didn't do something earlier. Oh the mammy guilt!

• Advertisement

A question for ye - do ye tell the grandparents about any worries or issues with your kids?

I don't tell my parents anything negative about R at all, as they are so in love with him they get awful worried if there is anything at all going on with him, especially my mother. She has dreams about him being hurt or drowning :( (I don't want to think about how that reflects on me as his mother!) So I just don't tell them, I don't see the point in worrying them about something they can't do anything about. But my husband will tell his parents stuff like R's arm or the speech issue just as bits of news. I've asked him not to this time as our parents occasionally talk but also I don't want to worry his parents. He thinks I'm nuts! Am I being too overprotective of my parents?

Advertisement