Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

A question for ye - do ye tell the grandparents about any worries or issues with your kids?

I don't tell my parents anything negative about R at all, as they are so in love with him they get awful worried if there is anything at all going on with him, especially my mother. She has dreams about him being hurt or drowning :( (I don't want to think about how that reflects on me as his mother!) So I just don't tell them, I don't see the point in worrying them about something they can't do anything about. But my husband will tell his parents stuff like R's arm or the speech issue just as bits of news. I've asked him not to this time as our parents occasionally talk but also I don't want to worry his parents. He thinks I'm nuts! Am I being too overprotective of my parents?

I totally understand where you're coming from, especially as you live far away. There's just my dad really and I don't tell him anything (I didn't even tell him that my husband and I split until this time last year - 6 months after the fact :-o ) I just feel that he's in his late 70s he doesn't need to worry needlessly. I do tell my brothers stuff alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hey MIA, I know what you mean about withholding things from parents! Especially when you are away you don't want them to worry unnecessarily or come out with the line "well if you were home..."

I tend to give the bits I have control over. I went to speech therapy when I was 6 for a couple years as I had a lisp and spoke like Jonathan Ross! Because of that I wouldn't mind mentioning the speech to my parents, otherwise I might hold back a bit unless it was diagnosed and a plan of action was in place

It's hard not to worry as a mom, no advice really though as AJ not really using words either. Loads of chat but rarely clear meant words

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Happy Christmas ladies! Hope ye all have a lovely time with your little toddlers and families!

Happy Christmas ladies! Hope ye all have a lovely time with your little toddlers and families!

Happy Christmas to you too! Just finishing up a lovely day surrounded by family. Thankfully the small man went for a nap during the dinner :D

Happy belated Christmas all! In the states now, AJ was amazing on the flight, though boobs helped a lot towards the end of it! Only really cried getting his nappy changed. Had amazing staff in aer lingus and the airport help me out. I had booked the bassinet seat and then two weeks before flying was moved to a window seat, had a wonderful check in lady get me sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Happy Christmas to you all too! I have to say it was much more fun this year having a toddler rather than a dribbling, clueless baby :D and of course, the hands-down, best present was... any cardboard box a toy came in :p

Hi ladies how are ye all doing? Hope January is going well for you and your bubs. We're getting on fine. R is a lot of fun these days :) really silly and playful! Still no words yet, we've an evaluation with the Early Intervention person on Wednesday so we'll see how that goes. He's started waking more at night recently, awake and cranky and wanting to feed constantly from like 2-6am :( What's going on with your little kiddies?

Hey MIA, I am in the same boat with night waking. About 16.5 months after babies due date they go through their last wonder weeks leap. Mommy needed all.the.time. Loads of night wakings and doddie won't do.

AJ not talking loads either besides babble. However, we have noticed he can say a few words but too stubborn to speak properly. He has said mama, dada, wawa, up, uh oh, and a couple others... But it is all once off. I will ask him to say up for me to lift him or get him out of the highchair, but he refuses and just ends up screaming.

AJ really getting into processes now. He demands to make my coffee in the dolce gusto machine every morning as he knows all the steps, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I can't believe it! I logged in for the first in over a year and you are all still here! Have to say it put a smile on my face! How are you all?! 16 month olds now! MENTAL ��

Px

Hey all, yup nearly 17 months now and the personality is really starting to shine through :)

He just started to walk on his own this week, it's the most adorable thing, just looks like a little drunk man and laughing away to himself, so impressed with his new skill lol. Gonna have fierce trouble getting shoes onto him though - put on a pair of his brother's and he screamed the house down!!

He drives his brother demented as well - always wants to play with him, but their ideas of play are very very different! E plays with all his cars and trains and little figures and then C crawls over and swipes one of them and tries to eat it and all hell breaks loose!!! Everyone is screaming it's so much fun - not!!!

• Advertisement

I actually wrote the post below ages ago but couldn't post it due to the Boards attack. Being lazy I saved it to an email til I could :p and welcome back Pastry!

Hi girlies! All good here, thank goodness. Bloody worn out is my only complaint. I am very much looking forward to mat leave, but at the same time I'm trying to stay in work as long as possible as will be on state maternity leave. I'm also more than likely not going back to work which is also causing anxiety as worried about bills, bills, bills. Does worrying go with the mammy territory or what???

MIA it's great you're getting early intervention, sometimes a little early help is all that's needed :)

Hi all how are ye doing? now that dreary January is gone I hope February is treating you well.

I cannot wait for Shrove tuesday next week, I'm obsessed with making pancakes for one day a year and can't wait to give them to R! He probably won't eat them, ah well more for me :)

We had R's speech assessment recently and, long story short, he is fine for other milestones but is 32% delayed with speech. So he qualifies for one hour a week of special instruction, which will try to help him speak through play. It starts next week. Feels good to have the ball rolling on it, but still feel quite emotional about the poor wee man.

He is fine otherwise, and lots of fun but more tantrums starting to creep in. Nothing major but he is a bit more prone to whinge and cry if he doesn't get his way. Some of them, it is hard to keep a straight face as he just cries over the funniest things!

Motherhood is tough, I hope you are looking after yourselves mammas :) I started going to a counselor at the start of the new year that I heard about from a moms group here. I think I developed post natal depression after I went back to work but just ignored it. I was feeling very overwhelmed these last few months with issue at my work, having no daycare was putting stress on my husband which was stressing me too, R's speech issues and then trying to plan to come back to Europe which all depends on my job. I'd felt overwhelmed and down about things a few times since R was born, but in the few months before christmas it got really bad and I couldn't function properly at work. I could hold it together at home for R but my work was really suffering, as was I. Even just talking to someone about what is going on in my head has helped and she has helped me find a few ways to lessen the stress. And the guilt! Turns out I've way more guilt than I even thought. I'll see her another few times and see how things go.

Good for you mia- it is so easy to get overwhelmed and especially when you went back to work so early... we definitely put so much stress on ourselves and it's so hard to juggle everything- guilt is a huge thing!

I hope that chatting to a counsellor will help you, it is a great step forward!

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed myself since Christmas- I took on a new role at work and finding it very difficult to get up to speed and cram it all in to 4 days. So I'm stressed at work, and then coming home and trying to shake that off to be in good form for the kids. But hopefully work will settle soon and I can breathe again. I'm trying not to let it consume me but it's hard.

(It *might* also have something to do with my impending 40th in a week's time :o and the 300 euro I had to fork out to fix my car today )

Fantastic news about the speech MIA as now you have support in place, and very good for seeing a counsellor! As moms we always put ourselves last and it's great you have made the effort to look after yourself! Both you, home, and work will benefit.

Ah no Karmella! Horrible to shell out money. Don't worry about the 40, you're only as old as you feel! Hope the work gets better for you. I just started a new job, hopefully I don't mess up too much!

Thanks ladies. I should have gone to see a counselor ages ago, it just got to a point where I had to do something.

Ye both have a lot going on as well. Hope things settle down for you soon, Karmella. And 40 is the new 30 :) comongethappy well done on the new job, I'm sure you'll do great :)

Not getting notifications for this thread anymore since the boards hack :( anyway hope you had a great 40th Karmella and I'm glad you're getting some counselling MIA, it's so important to prioritise your mental health x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Great to hear from all. Yes the time has flown. My little man has just turned 17months. can't believe it really. He started walking a couple of weeks ago and very quickly flew around the place! It is really very cute. The wobbles and toddles of him. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with a neurological condition a few months back but is doing very well and has been seizure free now since before Xmas so fingers so crossed. Of course, now we are heading in the direction of early intervention as he has some delays, prob due to his condition but not too bad, (hopefully). Mainly speech and language and social communication. But he's a happt little chappy. Such a worry though when there is something wrong.

Good for you MIA. I prob could have done with some a few months ago. I did one hell of a lot of crying there for a good few weeks but now that LO is stable, it's a bit easier. The seizures were so tough to watch. Had a set back when all the chat about EIT was happening and still emotional about all that but what can we do but try to help our little pet.

Hope prg going well for you FBM and good luck wtih the new job COGH.

So glad your little man is doing better 73trix. It's great he hasn't had a seizure since Christmas, but I can't imagine the stress and worry you went through.

• Advertisement

Hey there, haven't been on here since the hack thing.

Glad to hear ye are doing well. That's great about your little fella's progress 73trix. It is such a worry when there is something going on with your kiddie, isn't it? You must have had a few hard months there, fair play on getting through it with him. I'd really recommend talkibg to someone if you feel bad again. I didn't think I was bad enough to actually see someone about it, but it has helped me a lot. Look after yourself too, pet.

Thanks for your messages of support, im doing a lot better now than before Christmas. I'm still seeing the counsellor about once a month, it's good just even to get a load off my chest with someone I can talk freely to who isn't in my life, you know?

My little fella has started saying a few words! He only has maybe 5 words, which is still quite delayed for his age, but we are delighted with him saying anything! If course, 'daddy' is his favourite word ;)

Hoping ye are all doing great. Enjoy the Easter eggs :)

Just to update, baby boy S arrived yesterday after a trial of labour that ended in EMC (2nd section now). But he came out 7lbs 9oz of perfection! Currently recovering in hospital and gearing up for night 2 clusterfeeding marathon - or as it's known in my house, The Clusterf**k :D

Congratulations!! Great news xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Aw congrats FBM! It's mad that you have your no. 2 already. I was one of 6 FTM s in 2014. The others are all expecting their 2nds all due this year!

Congrats FBM!! Great news. Wow, I'd kind of forgotten about those crazy first days. Enjoy your little squish!

Thanks ladies, it's so strange to be back to the newborn stage but really enjoying it - apart from the lack of sleep ;)

Congrats Fbm! Delighted you and new squish are doing well ☺

hey there, hope ye are all doing well. any news? your little one should be about 6 weeks now, FBM? how are things in the tiny baby stage? How is your 2014 kiddie doing? was it much a transition?

I swing between wanting another little baby right now and thinking oh-my-god I need to wait a few years! i got an IUD put in a couple of months ago, so I guess it will be a while ;) although I'm no spring chicken...

I just wanted to say that our little fella is starting to say a few words, he's up on about 35 now and started to put a couple together (more pasta, he is a savage for his food still). So that is a great relief to us. he's still behind his age, but at least he is making some progress. I think him being in creche is helping a lot. he's saying words related to that too. I'm doing a lot better now too, handling life ok thnkfully. I'm still seeing the counselor every few weeks, it helps to just talk through stuff that is bothering me before it becomes overwhelming. I saw her to today at lunch time, and I had to laugh. Every time I go see her, she starts with 'And how are you?' and I always say, without thinking, 'ah, I'm not too bad' meaning I'm ok. But she takes it as being a bad thing. I still haven't learned to translate my irish phrases into american!

Belated Happy American Mother's Day to you all :) It was yesterday.

• Advertisement

Hey there! Good to hear an update from you. Great that little man is coming along, you know I don't think my guy can speak 35 words!!! (He's 21 months today) Now he never shuts up but it's a constant stream of babble with very few discernible words .... Mostly just toast, milk, moo, quack quack, meow, e i e i o. And every time he sees or plays with his brother's little batman figure he goes 'na na na na' :D I'm especially proud of that one ha ha ;) He's great craic altogether and drives his older brother mad, but they are really sweet together.

With regards to me, well I'm separated over 2 years now so figured at Easter that it was high time to get back out there and have started online dating!!! Daunting to say the least and I quickly realised that I have hardly any time to dedicate to it - of course the completely unreliable ex isn't exactly helping :rolleyes: He has finally admitted that he's an alcoholic and is doing something about it, but I'm under no illusions that this will last.

I've been on a couple of dates with a really nice fella - he's a divorced dad. sure we'll see where it goes - no pressure! :)

Advertisement