Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking roof?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm in a 2 bed terrace in charlesland and notice that after all the rain over the past few weeks there are watermarks on the ceiling to the back of the house. It looks like some of the roof tiles have been damaged and are now letting water in. Anyone had this problem and any recommendations for someone to take a look at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

I know someone who has had the exact same problem and has been told that it is the original construction\spec of the roof that is at fault. They have been advised to refer it back to the management company who will need to go back to the original builders\developers. Obviously if this is the case then the entire lengh of the roof would need repairing.

I expect many more of the terraced houses are affected in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Cut out the management company if you own your home. Go straight to the developer, give them two weeks to sort or else issue a claim on your gaurantee scheme.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Cut out the management company if you own your home. Go straight to the developer, give them two weeks to sort or else issue a claim on your gaurantee scheme.

By guarantee scheme do you mean the 10 year home bond ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

We have same problem and it gets worse depending on wind direction.
    When Durkans were still on site their handy man had a look at it - did a bit of tugging and pulling, painted over the marks and that was that...............it did not fix the problem.

In meantime I contacted Durkans and advised that the problem had been there from the start and hence their responsibility but the response was (March 2013).

'Further to your email and ourconversation this afternoon your home is no longer covered bywarranty and you are responsible for any necessary maintenance'

We bought our house is 2006/07 so am wondering now how much of this is correct?:confused:
    I would be very interested on suggestions to sort this liability?

• Advertisement

Probable good advice would be to hire a professional to fight your corner - Chartered & Registered Building Surveyor backed up with a letter from your solicitor.

Either that or check out your guarantee as I initially suggested. :)

Is it worth getting all affected people together to pursue this with the developer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

I have the same issue. A leak through the ceiling that i had a builder and roofer look at. They both say its been there since day 1 as a lot of the beams/insulation in the attic is damp or wet. It depends what way the rain is coming! And they think its from the stupid fake chimney breasts. A small job was done around the chimney with the flashing but i dont think its fixed the problem. I rang the management co and was told to contact the developers but was also told the developers are unlikely to do anything without a solictors letter which is not something i can afford. So yes i'd be interested in doing this as a group if there is a few with the same problem. We could arrange the same builder/roofer to prepare a report maybe and then a solicitors letter to the developer. I'm in the Park so Durkans are the developer.

I know a few others with same problem on our row alone.
    Going to search out my homebond and purchase documents then will revert.
    I would definitely be on for the 'strength in numbers' approach against these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Yes, we have exactly the same problem. In Charlesland Park. We thought it might be storm damage and contacted management company to see if we could get it fixed and claim off buildings insurance policy but we told that there is a €1000 excess for anyone claiming!! Thought this was seriously steep. I wonder is there an option to take out your own individual buildings insurance with a lower excess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Chester09

I am also in the park, it has been happening year on year and we have been painting over it, seems to be getting worse though. This problem was pointed out to durkans originally and they claimed to have fixed it but obviously not. I'm not really sure where to go with it from here, was hoping it was something straightforward to sort out but obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

most of your esb meters were connected to the grind in 2004/2005, which means 10 year guarantee is due to expire this year or next year.

If any one of you is in fact able to put your act together and file a joint complaint (provided appropriate surveyor will sing off on it) then it may make sense to repaid affected properties.

can someone describe what exactly is the cause of the problem (photographs are welcome).

I'll try get some pics tonight and post them up.
    Basically its in the back room. There is water leaking down between the main buidling and the one storey 'extension' part. Anyway will get pics plus I have docs ready to sort through.

TP25;
    My leak is in front bedroom room. Water came through the ceiling in drips. there is a large water mark on the ceiling now. The beams in the attic are damp as is the fibre glass. the roofer reckons they are so damp/water marked that water has been getting in for years and gradually turned into a leak through the ceiling. There is no lose tiles. He replaced the flashing around the fake chimney breast and thinks thats most likely where it was coming in. But he was there while it was raining and we couldnt see where it was getting in. For now it seems ok as the leak on the ceiling has stopped. But the beams etc in the attic are still wet. Until it starts getting drier i wont really know. I;ll have to keep an eye on it and see do the beams dry out once rain stops.

Would be very happy to get involved in a joint complaint and share the relevant surveyor/solictor costs. Is anyone willing and able to coordinate this ?

Because different parts of the development were built by different developer entities, it would be good to club togther where you're under the same management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I noticed from the outside that a roof tile on our chimney slipped recently but I managed to slip it back into place from inside the attic...driving home thru the estate just now I noticed quite a few tiles have slipped on peoples chimneys.

Can anyone post a pictures of actual water penetration through the membrane?

how many houses are affected? is this the last year the bond is covering charlesland houses?

Nummus, are you under Kennedy Wrights Management Company? Would you have any idea of cost for a surveyor? I don't mind coordinating something but i'm jsut worried about cost!

And the leaking starts.....
    Our sitting room is at back of our 2bed house. Iv attached pictured from the inside. The watermark basically outlines where the ground floor 'extension' meets the main house.

• Advertisement

Not nice to have that coming through. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Looks like the flashing isn't doing it's job.

I had a similar problem, The workmanship on these houses are very poor imo.

I would be very happy to get involved in a joint complaint and share the relevant surveyor/solictor costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Please also let me know the costs involved in becoming part of the cohesive on this. I am interested in lodging joint complaint - dependent on costs too!

I would also be interested thanks.

Neets, Amy1plus2, Car2318, Nummus.... I'm going to try find a surveyor and get an idea of cost etc.
    Can you all let me know are you through Kennedy Wrights Management Company and builder was Durkans?

We are Kennedy Wrights and our house was build by Durkans. Cranipea, I think our problem is the same as yours. Leak coming in through roof and very wet beams. Very keen to get it sorted as I'm worried about the damage to the beams.

Cranipea wrote: »
    Neets, Amy1plus2, Car2318, Nummus.... I'm going to try find a surveyor and get an idea of cost etc.
    Can you all let me know are you through Kennedy Wrights Management Company and builder was Durkans?

Yes kennedy wright and durkans. I can get a quote from a solicitor if that would help.

Just to clarify its actually my mum that is affected, im posting here on her behalf.

I've a friend coming to my house sat to check out the leak. I think he is a quantity surveyor but he's going to take a look and advise. So if he thinks it's a fault with the orginal construction i will defo be getting a professional report done up and sent to Kennedy Wrights and Durkans. Nummus & Neets I'll get in touch monday then and let you know if that sounds ok?

• Advertisement

That's great Cranipea. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement