Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking roof?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Sorry for the delay

Yes we are with Kennedy Wright Management Company and had the wonderful Durkans as builders.

As I have never been involved in this sort of process before and am not very informed on building (but willing to learn) can you please let me know what the different stages of action are? :o

For instance we get a surveyor, prove its down to poor construction and then approach contruction company via Solicitor? Is there anything else via our purchase contracts or insurance that we need to do?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Car2318, i wish i knew too! To be honest i'm totally clueless to this as well. But from talking to Katie in Kennedy Wrights about it she mentioned surveyors report then solicitors letter to Durkans. I think once my friend has taken a look I'm going to talk to her again and say there;s a few with the same problem and ask for her help with this given i pay my managements fees and i'm sure they should have some role in helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fifi81

We have the same problem in the park, the water is actually dripping through and there is now a hole in the ceiling, i was going to contact durkan but not sure there is much point, has anyone sent them a solicitors letter? Katie from k wright reckons the homebonds are not worth the paper they are written on

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

fifi81 wrote: »
    We have the same problem in the park, the water is actually dripping through and there is now a hole in the ceiling, i was going to contact durkan but not sure there is much point, has anyone sent them a solicitors letter? Katie from k wright reckons the homebonds are not worth the paper they are written on

Thats a fairly typical response from the management agents. They get paid a load of money and when asked to help with a problem they tend to say nothing to do with them or nothing they can do. I really hope they help out with your roof problems. That the homebond is not worth the paper is a cop out. If the houses were not built correctly then i really hope you all go for it and get the lazy builders to put it right. If it is worthless then what are the statute of limitations to sue the builders?

Has anyone read the Homebond details? I think you should have got a copy when you bought the house.

The homebond website says:

Structural Defects
    Cover for 10 years in respect of the repair of major structural defects.

Water Ingress
    Cover for 5 years in respect of remedial work in the event of water ingress.

Just out of interest there seems to be a few people coming forward with this problem.
    Has it only just started now after all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Are durkans still in operation?

• Advertisement

Are durkans still in operation?

Thats great, thanks for the advice, will see if i can my hands on a copy of the original contract. Yeah i think they are still in operation, there is a number on their website, I will give them a ring tmr and see what they say, will keep you posted

Jimjay there has been a watermark on our ceiling for a long time now but the water has only stated dripping through in the last few weeks and it is getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Durkan is still operating although they entered Nama last year. Given the storms that have Being happening they'll be able to get out of any repair work claiming weather damage caused the leak

Thanks Cranipea for that.

Our leak has been a problem since we moved in 7 years ago and Durkans came out to 'fix' it twice. It has taken about 6 years for it to really have an impact and drip through - as its all down to wind direction in our case.

Durkans are currently involved in a development on Bird Avenue in Clonskeagh! At the GAA pictches beside Church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm in the Seabourne apartments. We have a pretty substantial leak problem also through the balcony door - but only when the wet weather is combined with south easterly winds. Very hard to pin point where exactly that it's coming through.

Plastik wrote: »
    I'm in the Seabourne apartments. We have a pretty substantial leak problem also through the balcony door - but only when the wet weather is combined with south easterly winds. Very hard to pin point where exactly that it's coming through.

Hi plastik.i was just with a friend who had the same problem as you..water coming in depending on direction etc..I found out the tiny drain hole (bottom right) of the tracking where her patio door sits into its frame was blocked..and so water was being diverted back onto sitting room floor..have you checked this might be your problem?

So i had a couple of people look at the leak. They can't find the exact source as the leak has stopped. I had the flashing replaced around the chimney and this seems to have stopped the leak. For now. My leak only happens when the wind and rain is coming towards the house which hasnt really happened over the last few weeks. Either way, my friend is a sureveyor and he looked up the HomeBond cover and they only cover structural defects so even if there is a leak from the chimney breast it wouldnt be covered. Only structural issues are covered. So for now i will be just keeping an eye on things to see if it happens again but i dont think there is much else to be done re Homebond.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we had a leak in the same place when we lived in the Grove. At the time Durkans came back and fixed it but it took them a couple of tries - I think in the end they decided it was coming in under the sill of the bedroom window above the low roof and then running down the inside of the wall to the ceiling of the kitchen. This was why it only occurred when the wind was blowing the rain in a particular direction.

They did some sort of sealing job on the sill and it seemed to fix it, but we moved out not long afterwards so I don't know if it worked long-term.

I rang durkans this morning and they said any leaks are defo out of warranty, I have half a pan of water under the leak at mo, will try the chimney breast and windowsill and keep my fingers crossed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cranipea wrote: »
    So i had a couple of people look at the leak. They can't find the exact source as the leak has stopped. I had the flashing replaced around the chimney and this seems to have stopped the leak. For now.

As the chimneys are fake I would be tempted to remove it completely so that the complications of trying to seal around it disappear.

Just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

fifi81 wrote: »
    I rang durkans this morning and they said any leaks are defo out of warranty, I have half a pan of water under the leak at mo, will try the chimney breast and windowsill and keep my fingers crossed

Where about is the leak..?

Horrible with all the weather we are getting..?

The builder i had look at suggested removing the chimney also for that reason. But that would need approval from Mgt co i'm sure if you are chaging the design of the external of the house. Also, my chimney is half on the neighbours side so they would have to agree also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The builder i had look at suggested removing the chimney also for that reason.

Interesting.
    But that would need approval from Mgt co i'm sure if you are chaging the design of the external of the house.

If it was my roof that was leaking I would not care about what the management company thought. I would be suprised if it was even noticed to be honest.
    Also, my chimney is half on the neighbours side so they would have to agree also.

True.

The builder i had look at suggested removing the chimney also for that reason. But that would need approval from Mgt co i'm sure if you are chaging the design of the external of the house. Also, my chimney is half on the neighbours side so they would have to agree also.

What would the management company do anyway? they have introduced clamping to recover money - i can't see them being able to afford to take you to court and if they did they would be wasting the residents money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Car2318 wrote: »
    Thanks Cranipea for that.

Our leak has been a problem since we moved in 7 years ago and Durkans came out to 'fix' it twice. It has taken about 6 years for it to really have an impact and drip through - as its all down to wind direction in our case.

Durkans are currently involved in a development on Bird Avenue in Clonskeagh! At the GAA pictches beside Church.

I would suggest that a peaceful picket at this site might help them decide to rectify the problem in Charlesland

I honestly don't think I could make it a peaceful one!!
    Can I rely on Karma or Joe Duffy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Car2318 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think I could make it a peaceful one!!
    Can I rely on Karma or Joe Duffy :rolleyes:

Well if they're trying to sell these new houses I don't think they would enjoy a peaceful protest outside, especially if you have a sign asking them to fix shoddy work in a previous development.

Tiles blown off the roof of my sister's house in Charlesland Court.
    Anyone else have the same problem (assuming you checked) ?

2011 wrote: »
    Tiles blown off the roof of my sister's house in Charlesland Court.
    Anyone else have the same problem (assuming you checked) ?

I have seen a few houses in woods with missing and slipped tiles

Advertisement