Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Duce Sues Machine Head

• 20-01-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I read the story tonight that Adam is suing Machine Head over a number of issues, one of which specifically relates to Flynn's "diary entry" on the MH website following Duce's firing

I went to see Machine Head in 2010 in Newcastle and interviewed the band. The year previous I'd met them before, supporting Metallica in Sheffield on that band's UK tour...on both occasions I interviewed Phil within ear shot of the other band members and on both occasions I noticed Adam Duce was never anywhere to be seen.

When they played a supporting spot with Metallica that night in Sheffield I noticed how Adam came out separately to the other band members and stood "in the round" on the opposite side of the stage completely.

I asked them in Newcastle where Adam was as I wanted to get a bass plectrum from him....Dave McClain told me Adam didn't really mix with others and would stay on the tour bus while the band stayed in the venue, almost until the show began. It was obvious to anyone who was in that position that a clash had occurred years before this actual split.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Again like so many other situations it's sad to see this played out in public. But then with so many websites making court documents public it's impossible to keep this stuff private any more.

This seems to tie in with Machine Head's decision to shut down their website and messageboard.

Duce does have a point about the content of Robb Flynn's blog - as it paints a picture of a guy that no other band would want as a member. However true it may or may not be it probably shouldn't have been aired publicly.

It's no wonder the Jordison / Slipknot split is being handled with utmost secrecy. There's tons of cash at stake.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machine-head-sued-by-former-bassist-adam-duce/

Why Jared is listed as a plaintiff is a mystery though.

adamducesolo2012cover_638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

This is going to get messy pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Hate it when it comes to this. Very sad to see there website shut down.
    Was a member for 10years. Miss it.
    Saw machine head many times ie dublin/belfast festivels etc.
    Always enjoyed seeing them except at the last download event.
    Flat performance plus you could tell there was problems in the camp.
    Think this is going to end bad for all concerned. There last album was "meh" at best imo.
    Cant see them writing another "blackening or TTAOE" with all this going down.
    Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Glad to see the back of them. Absolutely despise Rob Flynn.

D.Q wrote: »

How are you glad to see the back of Machine Head, one of the greatest metal bands of the last 20 years, and why do you ''Absolutely despise Robb Flynn''.

I'm not looking to start an argument, just curious about your views on Machine Head & Robb Flynn

• Advertisement

Not looking to argue either, or troll or anything, this is just my opinion below, I get their appeal to some people.

Basically because of this. For me, they have never been anything other than bland, metal by numbers fodder. Whatever is popular at the time they will do. That said, I like imperium, davidian and one or two from the blackening so i went along to see them at download 2012 and they were absolutely atrocious.

I despise Rob Flynn because of any interview I've ever read with the guy. He comes across as a macho asshole.

Not looking to argue either, or troll or anything, this is just my opinion below, I get their appeal to some people.

Basically because of this. For me, they have never been anything other than bland, metal by numbers fodder. Whatever is popular at the time they will do. That said, I like imperium, davidian and one or two from the blackening so i went along to see them at download 2012 and they were absolutely atrocious.

I despise Rob Flynn because of any interview I've ever read with the guy. He comes across as a macho asshole.

I suppose Machine Head isn't everybody's cup of tea, i agree with you on that part, the rapping on The Burning Red was a bit offputting, Robb Flynn didn't need to do it, you also mentioned reading interviews by Robb which in your words come across as a ''macho asshole'', would meeting him in person change that opinion or is it something you stand firmly by?

I suppose meeting anyone in person is different, but the persona that I have seen from him, that "IM JUST ****ING SO ****ING METAL DUUUUUDE" doesn't really sound so good out of the mouth of a wealthy 45 year old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I suppose meeting anyone in person is different, but the persona that I have seen from him, that "IM JUST ****ING SO ****ING METAL DUUUUUDE" doesn't really sound so good out of the mouth of a wealthy 45 year old man.

Fully agree with this for anyone, not just Rob. And agree with what ya said about their music.

Saw thdm live for a few minutes though and they seemed decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't like the man, I've met him in person and all that...I have to be honest and say the one thing that upsets me about him is that (like Green Day's Billie Joe) he almost seems to want to forget about the older fans with each new album...he kept referring to all the young kids coming to the shows and almost wanted to shake off that image of the fact they were around in the mid 90's supporting Metallica at Monsters of Rock. Though considering the stories I've heard about what happened to Robb that day I'm not surprised.

As a band, your past is your past, you can't pretend to be something new and fresh on every album - you can present new and fresh music, but IMO you have to embrace and accept the legacy and history you are building (regardless of former members, disputes, dress sense, style etc) it's just all part of the Machine Head story

Personally I think they're a great band but Duce's departure has bothered me slightly, especially since you know the guy they replaced him with is getting peanuts

Corey Taylor once said of Fred Durst "he's a great businessman but he is NO musician" and, in some respects, I'd apply the same to Flynn. Demmel writes a hell of a lot of the material in collaboration with Flynn and I think since he's joined the band (about a decade ago) Duce has seen Flynn attempting to rebirth Machine Head...I'm not saying Flynn doesn't have any talent - of course he does - but he has talent as a stageman and performer and guitarist...he just doesn't seem (to me) to be a teamplayer

But then again, what the hell do I know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Davidian was the best thing they ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I always figured that MH ability to go with the flow of the times was a credit to their talent and ability but it is no doubt metal by the numbers. Duce was the only other original member and I would bet the other two were 'hired' and basically take instructions.
    When I think back over their catalogue, I can't imagine them all working together towards writing the material.
    I very much think it is a case of Robb Flynn and friends here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I dunno.

Robb seems like pretty genuine guy from what I've read. He loves the music. Their Nu-Metal phase is regrettable and seriously cringe-worthy to look at now but in fairness bending to current trends is something almost every band has done at some point.

Robb's long diary entries ON The General's Journals particularly the 10 part one on the anniversary of "..Ashes" does really give a warts and all story of the trials and tribulations of a touring metal band.

I have no idea what happened with Adam Duce but if there is some truth in what Flynn has said then it seemed like the logical thing to do if Adam's heart wasn't in it anymore. If you are spending serious amounts of time in a tourbus with somebody that doesn't want to be there it will just drag everybody down.

Flynn similar to Dave Mustaine is the founder of his band. And like Mustaine whether you love him or hate him (a bit of both actually) deserves credit for keeping the band going through all of the drugs, booze, lawsuits, dodgy record deals and other horrors of the music business for the last 20 or 30 years.

Davidian was the best thing they ever did.

WRONG!! The Blackening was the best thing Machine Head ever did, that album from start to finish is absolute brilliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Maybe he'll blame Adam for the whole nu-metal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Maybe he'll blame Adam for the whole nu-metal thing.

Hardly likely when you consider this picture from inside the Burning Red cover art

machinehead_1999.jpg

And compare it with one of them in 2013

machine_head_copy13.jpg

I think Dave McClain probably cringes a little when he thinks about that...but Adam looks to be relatively unchanged in look (with the exception of age) and in the one from 99 he clearly doesn't pander to scene

Advertisement