Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post planning construction plans cost

Options
  • 20-01-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey All,
    Looking for some advice. We have just got planning for a dormer style 250sq meter house. I have paid the engineer and his associated cost such as screening assessment and EPA Site Suitability all together this came to just under 3,000 euro, we were happy with the service and considering the work that went in to getting the planning considered this to be reasonable value.

However now we have been quoted almost 4,000 euro by the same engineer for the remaining work such as detailed construction plans, mortgage sign off, and construction inspections throughout the build.

Has anyone out there any experience with similar costs?

Is this excessive or typical rates?

I would like to stick with this engineer but was not expecting to have to pay over 7 grand for his services.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey All,
    Looking for some advice. We have just got planning for a dormer style 250sq meter house. I have paid the engineer and his associated cost such as screening assessment and EPA Site Suitability all together this came to just under 3,000 euro, we were happy with the service and considering the work that went in to getting the planning considered this to be reasonable value.

However now we have been quoted almost 4,000 euro by the same engineer for the remaining work such as detailed construction plans, mortgage sign off, and construction inspections throughout the build.

I would like to stick with this engineer but was not expecting to have to pay over 7 grand for his services.

7k from start to finish with a professional, with PI Insurance, back up, and everything that goes with it is very good in my opinion.

How much is your build going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scalymanfish

170,000 possibly less, we would need these plans to get accurate quotes from the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

170,000 possibly less, we would need these plans to get accurate quotes from the builder.

You will now, that SI 80 of 2013 has been replaced by SI 9 of 2014. To be honest you will struggle to build a house that size for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scalymanfish

archtech wrote: »
    You will now, that SI 80 of 2013 has been replaced by SI 9 of 2014. To be honest you will struggle to build a house that size for that money.

SI 9 of 2014 comes into effect in March of 2014 we plan on commencing this build before then so hopefully this shouldnt affect us.

170,000 is probably a shot in the dark however we have a 30,000 contingency should we need it. We also have the site. I really just want to get people opinions on the almost 4,000 quote for the remaining work?

I have tried to get some ideas off the internet however engineers do not like to advertise their rates, and we are waiting on quotes to come in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hey All,

get three quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

I really just want to get people opinions on the almost 4,000 quote for the remaining work?

That is reasonable

SI 9 of 2014 comes into effect in March of 2014 we plan on commencing this build before then so hopefully this shouldnt affect us.

170,000 is probably a shot in the dark however we have a 30,000 contingency should we need it. We also have the site. I really just want to get people opinions on the almost 4,000 quote for the remaining work?

I have tried to get some ideas off the internet however engineers do not like to advertise their rates, and we are waiting on quotes to come in.

You plan on engaging an engineer, get construction plans prepared, and then issue them for tender, appoint a builder and then lodge a commencement notice before the 28th February!

Edit : just got confirmation from the DOE that CN's lodged up to and including the 28th Feb will be processed under the current system even though the start date will be after the new control regulations change date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

kceire wrote: »
    You plan on engaging an engineer, get construction plans prepared, and then issue them for tender, appoint a builder and then lodge a commencement notice before the 14th February!

You better get your skates on!

What's so important about this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

best of luck with this as I simply cant see how you will get a 2700sqft house COMPLETED for this to current building regs. Again it comes down to what you mean by built......

adam88 wrote: »
    What's so important about this change.

see for yourself here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JAH82

I think that of the OP's original query has been lost here...

kkelliher wrote: »
    best of luck with this as I simply cant see how you will get a 2700sqft house COMPLETED for this to current building regs. Again it comes down to what you mean by built......

I was told that once your commencement notice is submitted before the 1st March, the current building regs apply...If this is true the house does not need to be COMPLETED before the new regs come in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JAH82

Edit : just got confirmation from the DOE that CN's lodged up to and including the 28th Feb will be processed under the current system even though the start date will be after the new control regulations change date.

I heard the same....and just saw this edit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

JAH82 wrote: »
    I think that of the OP's original query has been lost here...

I was told that once your commencement notice is submitted before the 1st March, the current building regs apply...If this is true the house does not need to be COMPLETED before the new regs come in...

Completed in my post refers to house completion as in fully finished. 1st march has new control regs coming in which are not building standards

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

When I built in 2012 the whole package including design, EPA Site Suitability, detailed construction plans, Road report, mortgage sign off, and construction inspections throughout the build was €3800(inc vat) if you got the whole package from the same guy. Getting different professionals for each stage made the professinal fees more expensive by about an extra €1400. For what you have left to do should cost you €1500-€2000 max. This Quote was for a fully insured engineers and great track record. I know because a family member is getting ready to start building and this is what they were quoted for detailed construction plans, mortgage sign off, and construction inspections throughout the build, half up front and half on completion or they take a payment off each signed off draw down. This was the same price I was quoted when I built so prices did not increase(unless you are in Dublin where there seems to be an increase in activity which might influence this a little bit). Honestly €4000 was an outrageous price to quote you for this work. Shop around and you will get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Cannot understand how someone can make the biggest investment of their lives and not engage and architect or arch tech. Al of l I see on this thread is people engaging in engineers for the entirety of their build.

A good architect might cost you €3000 or so for their input, but you won't end up with "a good room" that is 25m2 and costs you €25000 and gets used on Christmas day. You will get multi functional space that suits you. Not an adapted plan out of a book.

Architects can have some really clever ideas about space and flow etc that may save you a lot of money and add real value to dwelling and enhance the way you live. Even though you already have planning a good architect or technician may be able to have some really good input at this point. Granted you will need a separate engineer to sign off on structural elements but don't fall victim to a false econom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You plan on engaging an engineer, get construction plans prepared, and then issue them for tender, appoint a builder and then lodge a commencement notice before the 28th February!

What is to stop someone just sending in commencement notice as soon as final grant of planning is obtained.

Nothing really. Except you may be storing up a future problem if the named builder at commencement is not the same builder at completion insofar as loans / mortgages on the property could be delayed or even stalled indefinitely because of the irregularity. I suppose if you named yourself as the builder that would avoid that . (Doing that will not be possible after Feb 28th )

People should get angry about this ( as well as so many other things , of course .....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

lownhard wrote: »
    Cannot understand how someone can make the biggest investment of their lives and not engage and architect or arch tech. Al of l I see on this thread is people engaging in engineers for the entirety of their build.

That's why I gave up being an architect and am now happily working as a software developer - every muppet thinks they can design a house, muppets can't survive/get away with it in software development :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

I'm at the exact same stage and have just engaged an architect for this part of the job. (My initial architect from 2009 planning app is gone out of business and training in IT!).

What are the steps I need to ask the architects to quote for now.
    I would like construction drawing but what else is needed to get me started?
    Advise is appreciated on this? I have a good friend who is an engineer but did not use him for the plans but may use him for the build so dont like asking him too much questions as I didnt give him the job.

Like is mentioned on this thread, I may be give a notice of commencement in February as I plan to do site clearance and foundations myself along with initial frame. After this piece I might engage a contractor to bring to builders finish. I guess I cannot do this after 1st March. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    What is to stop someone just sending in commencement notice as soon as final grant of planning is obtained.

You need to have your builders details, drainage inspection contacts all named. If this differs from the actual build then you falsely lodged a CN.

Also, once you start within the 28 days or it can be invalidated also.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

The fee is very reasonable. Also as a qs I can say those costs are very unrealistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joeirish

That's why I gave up being an architect and am now happily working as a software developer - every muppet thinks they can design a house, muppets can't survive/get away with it in software development :D
    This might be off topic but I was reminded of the many failed IT systems when I read that. Far more than the few bad buildings that have led to the introduction of this new building control regulation. And still no regulations to deal with bad software developers. :eek:

Mixupat wrote: »
    I'm at the exact same stage and have just engaged an architect for this part of the job. (My initial architect from 2009 planning app is gone out of business and training in IT!).

What are the steps I need to ask the architects to quote for now.
    I would like construction drawing but what else is needed to get me started?
    Advise is appreciated on this? I have a good friend who is an engineer but did not use him for the plans but may use him for the build so dont like asking him too much questions as I didnt give him the job.

I'm also at this stage. Have paid architect €6k for plans to get planning permission. Now want more detailed plans. What I found was that if I go with timber frame, they will get their engineers to do detailed spec drawings for the build. Not sure what else is required though.

You need to have your builders details, drainage inspection contacts all named. If this differs from the actual build then you falsely lodged a CN.

Also, once you start within the 28 days or it can be invalidated also.

Whay is required on teh CN varies from one council to another. Mine only wanted the builder's name.

joeirish wrote: »
    Whay is required on teh CN varies from one council to another. Mine only wanted the builder's name.

What LA is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

joeirish wrote: »

Here in mayo, I've seen hundreds of commencement notices as part of compliance documentation. The owner would be named in all sections re builder, owner and persons whom information on foundations and drainage can be obtained from. I've never seen it arise as an issue from Building Control. I've never heard of a case where a notice had been invalidated due to not commencing on given date either.

mickdw wrote: »
    Here in mayo, I've seen hundreds of commencement notices as part of compliance documentation. The owner would be named in all sections re builder, owner and persons whom information on foundations and drainage can be obtained from. I've never seen it arise as an issue from Building Control. I've never heard of a case where a notice had been invalidated due to not commencing on given date either.

We wouldn't actively check if works have started within the 28 days tbh, just make sure they haven't started within the 14 days.

Although, with these new regs, I've seen a memo where we may have to monitor every CN lodged in February to make sure they haven't started within the 14 days but then do a follow up to confirm that they have started within the 28 days.

Advertisement