Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk question?

• 20-01-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks. Twins were born yesterday morning - a difficult birth as they were a bit twisted so I had to push them back in a few times to try to sort them out before pulling them out.
    They were a bit weak but had some kick in them and were standing up a bit but not really very strong so I milked mother and got @100 Mls of colostrum and then stomach tubed 50mls into each.

They recovered well and seemed to bond well with mother over the day. Today I went out and they were a bit failed or sleepy - I tried milking mother this eve and she seemed pretty empty. Is it possible to get colostrum and then no milk to follow or would they have emptied her out before it checked and I'm just over reacting to sleepy lambs?

Any wise words would be most welcome.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

DK man wrote: »
    Hi folks. Twins were born yesterday morning - a difficult birth as they were a bit twisted so I had to push them back in a few times to try to sort them out before pulling them out.
    They were a bit weak but had some kick in them and were standing up a bit but not really very strong so I milked mother and got @100 Mls of colostrum and then stomach tubed 50mls into each.

They recovered well and seemed to bond well with mother over the day. Today I went out and they were a bit failed or sleepy - I tried milking mother this eve and she seemed pretty empty. Is it possible to get colostrum and then no milk to follow or would they have emptied her out before it checked and I'm just over reacting to sleepy lambs?

Any wise words would be most welcome.....

A ewe mightn't be able to feed two lambs for the first few days after a difficult lambing, .....try them with some milk.
    If they have enough milk, their tummies will feel full, especially if you lift them by their front legs.
    They're probably alright and that's why they're sleepy, but there's a couple of ways to check them.......
    Ps.try and scrounge some biestings from a dairy farmer and freeze it in 100ml containers and you'll have it for the next ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Thanks rancher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

DK man wrote: »
    Thanks rancher

Were they up during the day, if they're hungry they could be cold as well
    they're Temp drops when they get hungry and they won't take milk even though they need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Just saw this now -

They are doing very well tg.... Good mother and they are getting good and strong - I'm going to move them out to with the rest tomorrow and they can still good indoors to dodge the rain...

Advertisement