Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Wifi

Options
  • 20-01-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭

Hey,

When I connect my laptop directly to the router using the yellow ethernet cable, everything works 100%. The problem is, when I take the laptop to another room and attempt to use the wifi the signal drops to one or two bars, goes very slow, and frequently stops altogether saying "no connections are available". I've tried everything thats said on you're website, but to no avail. There's no other devices connected to the wifi, no smartphones, sky etc. I've connected the router directly to the phone line, but that makes no difference to the situation. This is only a fairly recent problem, it was working fine up to recently. Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Hey,

When I connect my laptop directly to the router using the yellow ethernet cable, everything works 100%. The problem is, when I take the laptop to another room and attempt to use the wifi the signal drops to one or two bars, goes very slow, and frequently stops altogether saying "no connections are available". I've tried everything thats said on you're website, but to no avail. There's no other devices connected to the wifi, no smartphones, sky etc. I've connected the router directly to the phone line, but that makes no difference to the situation. This is only a fairly recent problem, it was working fine up to recently. Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
    Having the same problem...eagerly awaiting a response to your post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

jt69er wrote: »

Thanks.
    Having the same problem...eagerly awaiting a response to your post
    I've been waiting over a week, I don't think there will be a response.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hey,

Thanks.

Hi Noccy_Mondy

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you; I completely missed your post last week.

From what you have detailed above this issues is obviously concerning your wifi on the modem. There are a number of measures you can take with this such as changing the wireless channels you are using and exploring your options in getting a new modem. Before considering getting a new modem I highly recommend changing wireless channels.

It could also be the case where the distance of the device you are using is too far for the wifi but it does not sound to be the case as you have stated this is only a recent issue.

Below you will find a guide and instructions on how to change wireless channels (located halfway down the page) :

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Improve-Your-Wireless/m-p/6181/highlight/true#M6300

The information in this link can be very helpful in dealing with the issues in hand.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hey,

That's no bother at all.
    I tried connecting via wifi with the router right beside the laptop, but the signal still stayed poor. That said, the signal hasn't been as bad this last few days. I ordered a new router from eircom two weeks ago, but there still is no sign of it. Is there any way of tracking this?

Thanks. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hey,

That's no bother at all.
    I tried connecting via wifi with the router right beside the laptop, but the signal still stayed poor. That said, the signal hasn't been as bad this last few days. I ordered a new router from eircom two weeks ago, but there still is no sign of it. Is there any way of tracking this?

Thanks. 
    HI Noccy_Mondy

In fairness it should have been with you by now, please PM me your landline number and I'll check this out.

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement