Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best house building set

• 20-01-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm interested in getting a pretty good house building set for my kids. I know the creator sets would be great but are too advanced, for the moment anyway. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

builder22 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm interested in getting a pretty good house building set for my kids. I know the creator sets would be great but are too advanced, for the moment anyway. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

What age range?

Does it have to be a house building set? How about a tub of Lego with doors and windows in it? That's what I had when I was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yep, depends on age.

This year we went away from sets and got the kids a few boxes of parts. One was windows and doors, one was angular roof blocks and one was a big box of assorted bricks.

Already I can see more imagination going into their 'MOCs'

So my advise, get some boxes of parts and let them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

prospect wrote: »
    Yep, depends on age.

This year we went away from sets and got the kids a few boxes of parts. One was windows and doors, one was angular roof blocks and one was a big box of assorted bricks.

Already I can see more imagination going into their 'MOCs'

So my advise, get some boxes of parts and let them off.

Yeah and on Lego.com you can do pick-a-brick to choose some bricks that you may want more of. Windows and doors etc

Also one piece of advice. If possible don't get the Lego girl house. In my experience it's not compatible with other Lego products.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

builder22 wrote: »
    I know the creator sets would be great but are too advanced, for the moment anyway.

Don't be too sure. How old are your kids, and have they played with much LEGO before?

From the Creator range, my daughter has finished the Small Cottage, Seaside House, Treehouse (all 7-12) and Family House (8-12) without too much trouble, and she's only five (and a half... apparently that's important!) When she first started out with LEGO, though, we gave her one of the starter sets (7795) that included windows, doors, roof tiles and the like, and just let her at it. She got used to using her own imagination and figuring it out for herself first, so that she now gets much more out of the sets than just the models shown.

It all depends on how old your kids are, and how much LEGO they've played before now. Never underestimate the little buggers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

Don't be too sure. How old are your kids, and have they played with much LEGO before?

From the Creator range, my daughter has finished the Small Cottage, Seaside House, Treehouse (all 7-12) and Family House (8-12) without too much trouble, and she's only five (and a half... apparently that's important!) When she first started out with LEGO, though, we gave her one of the starter sets (7795) that included windows, doors, roof tiles and the like, and just let her at it. She got used to using her own imagination and figuring it out for herself first, so that she now gets much more out of the sets than just the models shown.

It all depends on how old your kids are, and how much LEGO they've played before now. Never underestimate the little buggers! :D

Thanks all for the suggestions. Our boys are four and a half (yes the half is very important :D) and our youngest is nearly two. We've had lego back in the house for over a year now and even the youngest is trying to put the bits together. As with most boys they are big into the city sets (police, fire, etc) and once made they seem to like to role play etc. however I think that some more generic "housey" stuff would be good and will look at the boxes with blocks, doors windows etc that has been suggested here. Thanks for that.

Having just consulted with my other half (36 and a half) she says that the bits are a good idea and something like 5477 might work even for the 2yo. We don't want another set that has to look a certain way following the instructions that come with the set etc. as our 4.5yo is quite a rules man at the moment and it HAS to look like what's on the box.

Anyone know a good place to look for the bags of bricks with doors and windows and roof pieces?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I got mine off amazon.

Assorted Bricks

Baseplate

Windows & Doors

Roof Tiles

Not saying these are the only option, or the cheapest option, just giving you an idea of what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

prospect wrote: »
    I got mine off amazon.

Assorted Bricks

Baseplate

Windows & Doors

Roof Tiles

Not saying these are the only option, or the cheapest option, just giving you an idea of what is available.

Thanks for the links. Good food for thought...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Creator house sets are great for older kids (and AFOLs too!!)
    but for smaller kids there either the Duplo sets or Lego basic - where you
    could buy additional sets online like doors & windows and base plates to make
    up a house building set.

Happy building!:)

Advertisement