Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frugal Brown Bin

• 20-01-2014 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Vegetable peelings & fruit skins are heavy, making your brown bin more expensive. When cooking a roast etc., pop a dish containing your peelings on the bottom of the oven and bake them at the same time, thus lightening the weight. My parsnip skins today weighed 237g, after baking them they weighed 63g.

Alternatively, pop the peelings into the compost bin if you have one. Sadly I gave that up due to vermin problems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The brown and green bins aren't charged by weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My brown bin is charged by weight. Maybe other areas are different.

Edit: If you are not being charged for your brown bin, please let me know what recycling company you are using, I'd love to save a few bob on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    My brown bin is charged by weight. Maybe other areas are different.

Edit: If you are not being charged for your brown bin, please let me know what recycling company you are using, I'd love to save a few bob on that.

With Wastepal and not charged by weight:

https://www.wastepal.com/webclient/

Wastepal aren't round these parts. I'm sure others will probably be the same but I can't be the only Greyhound customer. Anyway my (daft) tip is for paying customers then. :)

We're with CityBin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't actually peel carrots & parsnips a lot of the time - as long as they aren't too old, and the skin has had a good scrub, it's perfectly fine to cook & eat.

Granted, sometimes I still have to get the peeler out.

It was just an experiment on my part to see if it would work to reduce the weight. Don't know if it would work with turnip/swede skins as they are tough. Greyhound charge a basic charge up to a certain weight, can't remember the actual amount, and then over that weight is charged extra. Hard to accept that some companies are not charging at all and we are forking out every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you leave the lid of the bin open , you will notice lots dissappear .

All types of our 2-legged feathered friends will help you live frugally

If you leave the lid of the bin open , you will notice lots dissappear .

All types of our 2-legged feathered friends will help you live frugally

Ah yes, I've seen the mess they leave on the street. Seagulls are good at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

I leave chicken bones (from cooked drumsticks) out for the neighbourhood feral cats and magpies..up high though so our dog can't get at them :)

• Advertisement

catgalway wrote: »
    I leave chicken bones (from cooked drumsticks) out for the neighbourhood feral cats and magpies..up high though so our dog can't get at them :)

What about other people's dogs when the birds and cats drop them? Cheers...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Doubt the cats would bring them into gardens with dogs...magpies bring them up in the trees so it is pretty much contained !!..but I do get your point.

I make stock out of the chicken bones, and after that the bones go into the brown bin and by then the bones are as light as they are gonna get. I wouldn't leave any food out for neighbourhood animals, it more than likely attracts vermin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

if you have any kind of a garden dig down a foot and bury your peelings, they make great quick compost and also good to plant peas, broad beans on later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

catgalway wrote: »

I never give cooked chicken bones to my dog or cat
    Cooked chicken bones are brittle and tend to splinter and break as they are chewed. This potentially leads to many dangerous problems. Your dog may choke on the bone fragments. A splinter may become lodged in your dog’s mouth, throat, esophagus, or internal organs. Your dog may get peritonitis, a bacterial infection caused when the stomach or intestines are punctured. Your dog may become constipated due to bones lodged in the stomach or intestines.

All of these issues could require a costly vet visit to cure. Even constipation, which when mild can be treated at home, may become severe enough to require medical intervention to remove the blockage.

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    I never give cooked chicken bones to my dog or cat
    Cooked chicken bones are brittle and tend to splinter and break as they are chewed. This potentially leads to many dangerous problems. Your dog may choke on the bone fragments..........

I have heard of this happening. A friend's dog. They said it was horrible trying to get the bone out from where it was lodged at the back of the dog's throat. They eventually managed it but it was absolutely horrendous and terrifying for dog and owner.

Advertisement