Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bord bia inspection

• 21-01-2014 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just got word today that we are having our first inspection for bord bia on wednesday.. Just wondering what are the main areas i should have right.. Our herd register is fully upto date and we have our housing and feed storage in good order.. Is there any other main points i should be looking after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Signs for biosecurity, also stating that safety statement is available on request. Sharps container for needles. What do you do with used bottles and cans. Bait points and a map of them. Locked cabinets for medicines and sprays. First aid kit on farm, general tidiness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXuLU6IoWgo

Exact same as this will be unspected

• Registered Users Posts: 12 armin van burren

Just got word today that we are having our first inspection for bord bia on wednesday.. Just wondering what are the main areas i should have right.. Our herd register is fully upto date and we have our housing and feed storage in good order.. Is there any other main points i should be looking after?

Is it a beef or dairy inspection you have?
    Beef ones not as big a ordeal as the dairy one,good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Is it a beef or dairy inspection you have?
    Beef ones not as big a ordeal as the dairy one,good luck with it

you cant fail a dairy one:confused:

you cant fail a dairy one:confused:

I'd say that inspector could stop you sending milk if he felt like it
    That would be a fail I reckon

• Advertisement

I'd say that inspector could stop you sending milk if he felt like it

nope

nope

Well I have it from a reliable source that you can lose the bb bonus for beef by not doing the paperwork correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Well I have it from a reliable source that you can lose the bb bonus for beef by not doing the paperwork correctly

you asked about dairy, you can fail a beef scope audit and loose membership to bb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

if you have dogs or cats have a note from vet when they where last wormed

• Advertisement

you asked about dairy, you can fail a beef scope audit and loose membership to bb

So what is the penalties you recieve if you don't have your dairy enterprise up to bb spec ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

All good advice here, and don't have out of date medicines hanging about. I have had a number of these inspections and have found the inspectors agreeable and helpful and IMO not out to trip you, in short it sounds as if you are on top of things so no need to get over anxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

So what is the penalties you recieve if you don't have your dairy enterprise up to bb spec ?

milk will not be collected , just the same as not supplying a herd cert

back on topic

OP the video covers it (animal remedy records is the big thing )

foot bath and signs

show recepit for dog or cat wormer, does not have to be a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

All good tips received thanks, its a dairy one we are having.. I have a few signs that i must throw up today.. As regards bait points i dont really have any as we have around 8 cats about and dont ever see a mouse or a rat...and regarding the worming of cats and dogs.. I know they were wormed recently but i dont have the recepits for it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

jt65 wrote: »
    milk will not be collected , just the same as not supplying a herd cert

Care to provide backup for this statement. I think you 100% wrong. It's voluntary around here anyway. There's a 0.1cpl bonus for being BB approved, so Bob, I guess you could say that there's a 0.1cpl penalty for failing.

All good tips received thanks, its a dairy one we are having.. I have a few signs that i must throw up today.. As regards bait points i dont really have any as we have around 8 cats about and dont ever see a mouse or a rat...and regarding the worming of cats and dogs.. I know they were wormed recently but i dont have the recepits for it....

I presume you were not certified previously for beef and lamb ?

i had an inspection last autumn and the auditor pointed out a few issues in the dairy for the dairy one when it came in , haven't done them yet :(

Care to provide backup for this statement. I think you 100% wrong. It's voluntary around here anyway. There's a 0.1cpl bonus for being BB approved, so Bob, I guess you could say that there's a 0.1cpl penalty for failing.

ok

we will discuss it again in 2016

jt65 wrote: »
    I presume you were not certified previously for beef and lamb ?

i had an inspection last autumn and the auditor pointed out a few issues in the dairy for the dairy one when it came in , haven't done them yet :(

No we never had one of these inspections beford.... Alot of work done already today.. Got a door in dairy fixed.. Hung 2 signs at entrance.. Bought bait boxes and put tgem in place and got the dogs and cats a worm dose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

No we never had one of these inspections beford.... Alot of work done already today.. Got a door in dairy fixed.. Hung 2 signs at entrance.. Bought bait boxes and put tgem in place and got the dogs and cats a worm dose..

How much are the bait boxes joe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

+1

simx wrote: »
    How much are the bait boxes joe?

14.95 in dairygold near me... Im even after gettin the cats and dogs wormed

14.95 in dairygold near me... Im even after gettin the cats and dogs wormed

How many did you get joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Bord Bia QA important thing is herd register is up to date or if online that you can print off an up to date profile. After that your must have a record of all medicines/dosing. You are supposed to put in administration rates how much/50kgs. These are the most important and the most likliy reason to fail.

After that
    Safty statement
    Vermin Contro/Bait points
    Sinage
    Bio security( footwear disinfectant)
    Record of nuts/ration

all the above are slap on the wrist type offences along with them being on about plastic dispoal ( middle of winter and it was a reference) and the yard being untidy.

How many did you get joe

I got the bait boxes for 12.95 make sure there's a key with them. I got 7. I drew a lovely map of where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

Did mine last week, got locked medicine cabinet used a jam jar for used sharps and wrote sharps on label. first aid box, boot wash , used 2 wrap pipes and put bait into them ,did out a quick yard map with bait points,boot wash,meal area on it and area to store sprays etc.The main thing is paperwork,dosing,injecting records and meal dockets.Did a quick tidy up and passed.He said for the next time to have a safety sign and safety statement.

bikes wrote: »
    Did mine last week, got locked medicine cabinet used a jam jar for used sharps and wrote sharps on label. first aid box, boot wash , used 2 wrap pipes and put bait into them ,did out a quick yard map with bait points,boot wash,meal area on it and area to store sprays etc.The main thing is paperwork,dosing,injecting records and meal dockets.Did a quick tidy up and passed.He said for the next time to have a safety sign and safety statement.
    other thing is do you have withdrawal dates for medicines, they where very specific on this

How many did you get joe

Got 5 of them and placed them around farm.. Drew a nice map of all the bait points. Just made a footbath out of used drums and have it on entrance to farmyard from dwelling area.. I think we are up to scratch anyway he can go s**t after that

Got 5 of them and placed them around farm.. Drew a nice map of all the bait points. Just made a footbath out of used drums and have it on entrance to farmyard from dwelling area.. I think we are up to scratch anyway he can go s**t after that

Thanks joe, what exactly comes into this saftey statement

• Advertisement

Thanks joe, what exactly comes into this saftey statement

Think this is it here http://www.teagasc.ie/pigs/advisory/SafetyStatementTemplateJune2008.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

And if you do that he will still find an issue and you will have something else to do the time after. Better to let there be little thing for him to find.

Thanks, how does this have to be presented? In a folder or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

HSA have an online step-by-step guide to prepare and produce a safety statement. Google it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

re bb areas for improvement :

What is the correct procedure to follow in the case of a broken hypodermic needle remaining in an animal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭waalaa

tatoo wrote: »
    re bb areas for improvement :

What is the correct procedure to follow in the case of a broken hypodermic needle remaining in an animal ?
    If veterinary assistance can't get it out, note the animal and approximate location of the needle. Attach a note to the blue card if it's cattle, let the factory know all the details when sending animal.

The last BB inspector I had was a bit of a twat, the signs I had up weren't FBD ones which he told me I needed, I didn't slap the safety statement into his hand before I said hello to him and he threw a god awful hissy fit when I hadn't the withdrawal date for medicines in the book only the number of days. Despite me being worse than Hitler I still passed.

Pretty much everything you need to know is already in the thread, there's nothing to them, just a waste of a few hours.

• Advertisement

waalaa wrote: »
    If veterinary assistance can't get it out, note the animal and approximate location of the needle. Attach a note to the blue card if it's cattle, let the factory know all the details when sending animal.

The last BB inspector I had was a bit of a twat, the signs I had up weren't FBD ones which he told me I needed, I didn't slap the safety statement into his hand before I said hello to him and he threw a god awful hissy fit when I hadn't the withdrawal date for medicines in the book only the number of days. Despite me being worse than Hitler I still passed.

Pretty much everything you need to know is already in the thread, there's nothing to them, just a waste of a few hours.
    they will want to see a docket for an animal that went for slaughter and then any treatments it had and the withdrawal date, if you have a farm program the withdrawal date will be calculated for you

We passed it anyway with just a few minor recomendations. I agree with having the herd plan up to date and having the herd register in good order but most of this is a waste of 4 hours and more red tape that we dont need.

We passed it anyway with just a few minor recomendations. I agree with having the herd plan up to date and having the herd register in good order but most of this is a waste of 4 hours and more red tape that we dont need.

good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Glad you passed. When it's extra money for **** all extra work you can't complain about it too much.

• Advertisement

how are you to dispose of the contents of your sharps container?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

biddy2013 wrote: »

Vet I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭waalaa

Yup, the vet. They should also take any expired or partial used medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rover198

An auditor taking 4 hours to complete the audit will be contacted by the auditing body as a reason for the long audit is required

Rover198 wrote: »
    An auditor taking 4 hours to complete the audit will be contacted by the auditing body as a reason for the long audit is required
    the guy that comes here, does our 2 herds in the one go. i assume he is being paid for 2 visits

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rover198

the guy that comes here, does our 2 herds in the one go. i assume he is being paid for 2 visits
    Yes audits where there are links such as father/son/brothers etc are linked together the audit is getting paid for each herd number he/she reviews, while the audits are done on the same day two individual reports will be completed

I have been thinking I,m at the wrong side of these inspections, how would you go about applying for a inspectors job???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

farmerjj wrote: »
    I have been thinking I,m at the wrong side of these inspections, how would you go about applying for a inspectors job???

Ah it wouldn't suit ya

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah it wouldn't suit ya
    Handy money I think.

farmerjj wrote: »
    Handy money I think.
    wonder how much they get for each inspection and what the milage money is like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement