Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Cat keeps attacking me when I pet here

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I was petting softly my cat and she was purring loudly rubbing herself all over me and generally being cute.I went and put her in her bed petted her for a bit more and before I know she swipes at and just misses my eye and shes hissing at me she does this all the freakin' time and it's driving me demented she loves my dad hates my mam but seems ok with me....I dont even know what I do to make her go mental.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Is there a chance you hit a spot that causes her some pain/discomfort?

We have a cat who is practically feral, she doesn't trust easily at all, and if she does trust you you still have to be slow and quiet with her. There are times I have rubbed the spot behind the base of her tail and she seems to get really into it, but oftentimes she hisses and runs off if I do it for too long lol. Then we have another fella who we give head rubs to, but when he is done he just ducks and walks away.

I think some cats have enough with petting at a certain stage, and it's how they communicate that they have had enough, though maybe some are less subtle than others.

Sorry I'm not much use to you!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's called petting-induced aggression; it's very common. Lots of info if you google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

VonVix wrote: »
    Is there a chance you hit a spot that causes her some pain/discomfort?

We have a cat who is practically feral, she doesn't trust easily at all, and if she does trust you you still have to be slow and quiet with her. There are times I have rubbed the spot behind the base of her tail and she seems to get really into it, but oftentimes she hisses and runs off if I do it for too long lol. Then we have another fella who we give head rubs to, but when he is done he just ducks and walks away.

I think some cats have enough with petting at a certain stage, and it's how they communicate that they have had enough, though maybe some are less subtle than others.

Sorry I'm not much use to you!
    I was petting her back and she loves when my dad does and will have him pet her for ages wont do the same fr me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

boomerang wrote: »
    It's called petting-induced aggression; it's very common. Lots of info if you google it.
    Read some stuff on it there it seems we have a winner

Advertisement