Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a meter,paying €50 per week but still got a bill for €250!

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

I cannot fathom how I could have gotten this bill. 

My meter was read today and the amount seem right. 

I got  the meter in October as I could not clear arrears.

25% of each top up goes to my arrears and we use the other €37.50 pays for our electricity for the week. 

The bill for the 13th of Nov till today is €252.02, this on top of the €335 we have topped by since that date. 

Can I have the rate check out or something? I entered a 40 digit code around the middle of Dec. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

that is a huge amount of electricity, the national average is about 20 euro a week.
    there must be something wrong, most likely the bill that you have recieved is just a mistake.
    do you use a lot of electricity ? electric storage heaters ? electric showers for hours ? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi wmpdd3,

Thanks for your message.
    wmpdd3 wrote:
    I entered a 40 digit code around the middle of Dec.

Your top up code is usually 20 digits in length. When there is a change to your Electric Ireland Price Plan, you will be given a 40 digit code the next time you buy credit for your meter, which is what would have happened here. This code credits your Keypad Meter, but it also updates your meter with the new Price Plan information.
    wmpdd3 wrote:
    I cannot fathom how I could have gotten this bill.... Can I have the rate check out or something?

We would need to have a look at your account in order to give a full explanation of how the bill was calculated. Please feel free to forward on your account details to us by private message and we can have a look at it for you. Just include your full name, address, account number and contact number or date of birth for account security.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

@ David, PM sent.

Our bills were always €120 every 2 months. We got into arrears in Jan 11 when the gas boiler broke, we had to use an oil heater for heat downstairs. During the Summer our bill were about €90 per 2 months, we were still carrying arrears. 

Now all our heating is gas and there is one small oil heater, .5kw,  in the kids room as there is no rads there, its on a timer for 3 hours on and off during the night. 

Dryer is never used, plenty room in the garden. 

2 bed terraced house. 

So for 60 days we paid €335 into the meter and still got charged €252, a total of €587!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    @ David, PM sent.

Our bills were always €120 every 2 months. We got into arrears in Jan 11 when the gas boiler broke, we had to use an oil heater for heat downstairs. During the Summer our bill were about €90 per 2 months, we were still carrying arrears. 

Now all our heating is gas and there is one small oil heater, .5kw,  in the kids room as there is no rads there, its on a timer for 3 hours on and off during the night. 

Dryer is never used, plenty room in the garden. 

2 bed terraced house. 

So for 60 days we paid €335 into the meter and still got charged €252, a total of  €587!
    Thank you for your PM, the gist of which confirmed that the bill is a result of a meter reading, I was aware of this as the meter was read yesterday.

What I cant understand is, if I have a prepay meter, how can I also be billed post pay? 

I have paid for my electricity, where is the bill from? 

When I got this meter in Oct, the reading was zero, I have put in €373.80 and have been billed for an additional €297.

This is €670.80 for 1647 kw and 110 days standing charge. 

By my calculations I am being over charged by €210 and thats going by the new rates that came into effect in Jan. 

My rate is 18.53 
    My standing charge is 51.57, can you confirm that this is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again wmpdd3,

All Electric Ireland customers receive a bill. For PAYG customers though, this is to be treated as a statement giving a breakdown of transactions for the previous two months, rather than as an invoice.

The fact that there are already arrears on a PAYG meter means top-ups do not go towards usage alone.

I cannot go into specifics regarding your account publicly, for data protection reasons, but I will now send you a private message giving a breakdown of your account.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi again wmpdd3,

All Electric Ireland customers receive a bill. For PAYG customers though, this is to be treated as a statement giving a breakdown of transactions for the previous two months, rather than as an invoice.

The fact that there are already arrears on a PAYG meter means top-ups do not go towards usage alone.

I cannot go into specifics regarding your account publicly, for data protection reasons, but I will now send you a private message giving a breakdown of your account.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Thank you for your PM, it seems those calculations are correct as they tally with my own.

Really the only way to work out your bills when you have a prepaid meter is to do a running total for usage alongside payments. 

Advertisement