Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking to be let go.

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Wondering if it is common to ask to be let go from your employment ?

I hate my current job with a passion and plan on doing the above or just handing in my notice very soon. Sticking it out till I get another job isn't really an option as I have already been looking (though not thoroughly) for a new job the past 8 weeks now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

No it's not the norm. If you want to leave you resign. A company won't 'sack' you at your request because legally in order to sack someone you need grounds to do so. So either give them grounds or resign.

I assume this is to avoid the exclusion period from social welfare? If you feel you have valid grounds for leaving your job you can ask your social welfare officer to waive the exclusion period, but it is at their discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If you hate it that much just use it as a means to an end..
    Start looking around for ANY other work and jump ship as soon as possible..

In the meantime you'll be gaining experience and MONEY, both of which are useful in the real world..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know how you feel as I have been in that position.
    I watched one of my friends leave a job she hated with no other job lined up.
    When she went for job interviews she was asked why she left her last job?
    Our boss at the time then give her a bad reference which did not help her.

My advice to you is to look for any type of new job and leave once you get another job.
    Social welfare will not pay welfare if you leave a job for the first 9 weeks and you could be a while waiting to get paid.

Also if your working it is easier to get a job. Your not putting yourself in a bad position in regards to moving on. If you leave a job at the moment without another job to go to it is a bad idea as a new employer could think this person is trouble and I don't want to interview them. Also your present boss could give you a bad reference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Wondering if it is common to ask to be let go from your employment?

Never ask someone to lie for you, especially if you then turn around and expect them to give you a good reference, because it will not happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Why would you ask to be let go when you could just hand in your notice?

I don't understand this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Why would you ask to be let go when you could just hand in your notice?

I don't understand this!

Two reasons - social welfare, and next job interview.

Two reasons - social welfare, and next job interview.

Well surely it would not help your next job interview.

I think it's a terrible idea.

Well surely it would not help your next job interview.

I think it's a terrible idea.

It can be spun that you were let go due to a downturn, its much harder to spin you left of your own free will.

I don't know, I just don't think I'd like to have that on my CV personally.

To be honest I wouldn't leave a job without having had another one lined up anyway.

I don't know, I just don't think I'd like to have that on my CV personally.

To be honest I wouldn't leave a job without having had another one lined up anyway.

I agree but sometimes if things are totally unbearable people have to make hard choices. Im in a situation myself where I have twice in the past few months really had to hold onto myself to stop myself from walking out. Its not black and white. An incredibly stressful situation or difficult person can affect your mental health.

• Advertisement

I agree but sometimes if things are totally unbearable people have to make hard choices. Im in a situation myself where I have twice in the past few months really had to hold onto myself to stop myself from walking out. Its not black and white. An incredibly stressful situation or difficult person can affect your mental health.

I do know - I was out of work for a few weeks due to stress. I just held out for a new job, I was waiting for about 4 months for a job.

It's different for different people - I'm not judging, I just don't think I'd do it myself.

I do know - I was out of work for a few weeks due to stress. I just held out for a new job, I was waiting for about 4 months for a job.

It's different for different people - I'm not judging, I just don't think I'd do it myself.

I understand what you mean. Personally Id not like to have the "out of work for stress" on my own record - in case the next employer thought I would buckle under normal pressure etc....

But I would walk from a job if it was totally unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

OP this is not a popular opinion but it might be one you're happy to hear. I say, if you really (and I mean really) can't hack it any more than just quit. Only if it is truly unbearable though (and a lot of jobs are, that's why they have to pay people to do them).

I've never looked back at horrible jobs I've quit and said, oh, I should have hung on a while longer. More often I look back and say why did I put up with it for so long? Though a lot of this was when jobs were nowhere near as scarce as now. But still, the times I did quit, I heard the same stuff about how it's a bad move cuz it's much easier to find a job when you are in one. I did not find this to be true, I have never gone from one job to another that way, it has always been after leaving my last job either through quitting, relocating, or being made redundant (I've never been fired).

Not everyone who quits a previous job is a flake or bad person to hire. If you are a good person who works hard and is good at their job, but your employer treats you badly, or conditions are horrible, then you should leave. If the only reason you stay is because you need the money, you are not going to be doing your best work, so you are actually doing what is better for the company by leaving once you know you want to. An employer who is wary of an employee who leaves a job due to unhappiness is likely to be one who knows well that their company offers the same horrible conditions that make workers unhappy.

Being asked to be let go is not an option and being fired would look worse. Don't worry too much about the nine week dole thing, it'll get sorted eventually and you may not have to wait. Be honest about why you left. I don't know your employment history but you may have stamps which I think they have to give you, and if you have paid in, no one should begrudge you the dole if you are genuinely seeking work and are only unemployed because your last job was unbearable and you need to make a change. Just be aware jobs are hard to find nowadays and your location and what area you have experience in will be the difference makers there. If these are not in your favor and you have a lot of monthly costs, be a bit more careful because you will need to be able to survive off a lot less money than you were getting when working, and it can be quite a shock to see how quick 188 euro disappears if you are living independently and paying all bills out of that. If you don't cut your outgoings right away any savings you have will evaporate quickly. If you don't have any savings than you have to be even more careful when making this decision.

Advertisement