Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming Better at the Aul Arrows

• 21-01-2014 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

So I've recently bought a dart board- an eclipse pro. I pulled out my grandads old tungsten 26g darts and have been playing games against myself for a bit. My average is quite poor to be fair- circa 46 or so. I've gone around the board in singles in 28 darts at my best and am going to try go around in doubles tomorrow.

Any tips on how to get better or is it purely a case of practise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Its nearky all in the head buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Its nearky all in the head buddy

Could you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

As Bobby George used to say (and probably still does)

'Look where you throw and throw where you look'. Very simple really.

Seriously though practise will make you better. No doubt about it. Try to concentrate on what you're throwing and don't just throw for the sake of it.

Play a few games.
    Go round the board on the singles or doubles, try hitting 20 single 20's 19 single 19's 18 18's etc. Play Shanghai or cricket. Try out shots - see if you can take out a finish in 6 darts or less or 3 darts if it's 80 or less.
    The old classic 501 to see how your average is.

Playing games will help you focus and give you a challenge as opposed to flinging darts at the triple 20 all day.

But no matter how much you practice as Jake says if you're head ain't right you won't hit anything. The other day I hit 3 180's in about 15 minutes.
    The next day I couldn't hit the board so I just left it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

gramar wrote: »
    As Bobby George used to say (and probably still does)

'Look where you throw and throw where you look'. Very simple really.

Seriously though practise will make you better. No doubt about it. Try to concentrate on what you're throwing and don't just throw for the sake of it.

Play a few games.
    Go round the board on the singles or doubles, try hitting 20 single 20's 19 single 19's 18 18's etc. Play Shanghai or cricket. Try out shots - see if you can take out a finish in 6 darts or less or 3 darts if it's 80 or less.
    The old classic 501 to see how your average is.

Playing games will help you focus and give you a challenge as opposed to flinging darts at the triple 20 all day.

But no matter how much you practice as Jake says if you're head ain't right you won't hit anything. The other day I hit 3 180's in about 15 minutes.
    The next day I couldn't hit the board so I just left it.

Thanks for the great reply, much appreciated.

This evening I have a set a go and my average on game 1 was 50.1, game 2 was 53.4 and game 3 was 46.7. I'm actually quite good at my doubles, if I step up to the oche I'll hit it within 3 usually setting a marker on my first dart.

Tonight I started some games by hitting the treble 20 but my second dart was a crazy bad dart and ended up hitting 9 or 12.

I'll keep at it and try become more consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Practice, practice and more practice and practice against other people. One can practice all they want at home and play relatively k but nothing can beat playing another person and learning how to deal with the pressure/ nerves

• Advertisement
Advertisement