Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.....the Sherriff with a Shotgun

Options
  • 21-01-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Getting to know.....the Sherriff with a Shotgun
    Previous threads of this series are:

Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW

Thank-you all for a really enjoyable week. It is now time for me to bid adieu and pass the baton over.

It is now the time of the true King of the West (well, Midwest, technically) and master of our own little corner of the boards.ie universe to address your queries. I now give you over to the capable hands of the core master .... ShotgunMCOS

To warm you up a bit

How many pushups can you do in a minute?
    How many situps can you do in a minute? Full situps not crunches ;)
    How many triceps dips can you do in a minute?

After doing that how long before you arms stopped shaking to allow you type your answers? :D

Enjoy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You trained hard at triathlon for years and then just packed it and went off messing. Why?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Favourite race?
    Pinnacle of your racing career so far?
    Race weight? Current weight?
    Favourite method of relaxation?
    5k to spend on a holiday. What do you do?
    How many pull ups can you do?
    Who do you think would win a wife carrying race, you, tunney or jb?
    Can I join your Beast team in 2015?

Oryx wrote: »
    Favourite race?

JB is out of that one. While he might not be a dwarf he is 5 8 at most, his wife is 6 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Speedos or jammers?
    One-piece or two piece?
    What do you work at?
    What's the longer term plan, after the "3 under 3"
    Shotgun jr. - future rower or triathlete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to catch up earlier Mike, as promised.

How long can you plank for?
    What distance can you cover in 1hr on the bike, yes do a 60tt :)
    How many crackers can you swallow in 3 mins
    Will you ever do an IM again?
    How many all out efforts can you do on the rower (to failure) as 2min on and 1min off?
    Proudest sporting achievement so far?
    Which animal would you more likely be able to bench press, a monkey or a wooly sheep?
    What scares you?

• Advertisement

HAHAHAHAHA

Mike has read only access in work so busy evenings for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

AKW wrote: »
    How many pushups can you do in a minute?
    How many situps can you do in a minute? Full situps not crunches ;)
    How many triceps dips can you do in a minute?

After doing that how long before you arms stopped shaking to allow you type your answers? :D

Thanks Punk! Yes read only access in work so sorry for the delay folks. Breathing just about under control and arms have ceased shaking so report on AKWs core workout..

60 seconds sit ups legs hooked under chair: 46
    60 seconds rest
    60 seconds push ups (full ones): 48
    60 seconds rest with shoulders on fire
    60 seconds tricep dips: 43
    60 seconds rest
    60 seconds sit ups no legs hooked under chair: 35

Ouch ouch ouch! Did the second sit up set as I felt I cheated with the first. Both ok but without legs hooked much harder. Press ups hurt but I do press ups most days and knew I was currently able to hit 40 non stop. The last 6 were shaky.

The feicin tricep dips! Haven't done them in years. From my gym days I'm a firm advocate of proper technique so I do these right. Triceps absolutely on fire after 20 (push up lactic still there), after 30 I growled, at 40 I cried out.

AKW you will be delighted to know that they really really hurt and I hate you right now...

:D

tunney wrote: »
    You trained hard at triathlon for years and then just packed it and went off messing. Why?

Good Question. Triathlon originally started as a bet. I didn't have a bike or didn't know how to swim so it was a real challenge to aim for Kilkee HOTW. Once I got into it I remember a teacher that left an impression on me back in school who had done an Ironman. I recall not being able to fathom exactly what it was or how he did it back then but as soon as I did my first sprint tri I wanted to do one. That was the secret goal then.

After crossing that particular line I flirted with Kona. A school mate Ivan O'Gorman had qualified, headed over and caught such a bug that he moved lock stock and barrel to Boulder and started a new career fixing bikes, shooting the breeze with PROs and setting Kona PBs. It left a real impression on another mate MOB who also went over with QF in his first attempt at the distance. I trained with MOB a lot so I was close to the buzz of Kona and the dreams of it.

For some reason it wasn't leaving the same impression with me.

There was the shorter stuff too. I did the AG thing in Budapest in 2010 and enjoyed that but also copped onto the money racket that it was. I guess I kind of saw IM as that too. Not only was it a huge commitment of time but the idea of shelling out over €500 for an entry alone to a race that dictated a whole years training was also not appealing in the long run.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the 2 I did an would consider another one. Barcelona was fun because I got to hang with some boardies before and lay on a beach with Caz for days after. The logistics were easy and the Med was a joy over canals and rivers. I'd go back there.

Shorter local races were fun and I thought more about giving that a go than an extended long distance focus. I still have triathlon related goals on the bucket list.

I like tri but something else distracted me and got in the way.

GODZONE

Some one stuck a link up on Boards somewhere as 2 of the Irish "Get No Sleep" team were competing. I tracked it an my jaw dropped. I could not pull myself away from the tracker. It ticked so many boxes for me in so many ways. The challenge, the location, the pure adventure etc.. It jumped straight to the top of the bucket list

I had zero AR experience. I had run up a hill a couple of times, fallen down them too but I was clueless. More clueless than I had been when I accepted the bet to do the Kilkee HOTW without knowing how to swim.

I entered a couple of messing races for the craic and did ok in them. I had a 2 year goal to do the Beast of Ballyhoura (report attached) but stumbled into a team that summer and did it with Enduro and a couple of other rookies. I was almost embarrassingly clueless and at times was the out in out weak link in the team but it was a superb race and under half the price of an IM entry for 36 hours racing!

I was converted :D

Oryx wrote: »
    Favourite race?

Hmmm pinnacle of racing career?

In triathlon probably Kilkee 2012. An AG win on a gnarly day in a good NS field. Had a great swim (top 15 :eek:) sensible bike and beat the cramps on the run to actually fight for a place. My only race win at messing is up there as is the top 10 at the Conn Marathon in 2011 but for pure racing it was back in my rowing days.

My Novice Uni crew were the first in the club to go to Nationals. We were first up in a coxed 4. Thats 4 fellas with one oar each and a little hoochie squeezed into the bow of the boat yelling at us through a mic. 2,000m is the race distance an it came down to less than 30cm. With 30 strokes to go we were dead level with Queens Uni Belfast. I was stroking the boat and caught a crab, as in I didn't square my blade fully and it entered the water at an angle instead of dropping in perpendicular. Applying force on the blade at that angle drives the blade down and the oar handle up. I somehow managed to wrestle it out of the water but Queens pulled a seat ahead (about 3 feet)

With 20 to go we were spent, dead, gone but I noticed the Queens Stroke blade clip the water and I yelled for everything. The boys responded and we poured our hearts and soul into the next 20 stroke to win by less than a foot and secure the first Pot for the Uni. We were absolutely shattered. Nothing was left on the course. I can almost feel that excruciating yet glorious pain to this day when I think about it. We won our 8s race the next day at a canter by comparison.

Why was it so special? I wasn't supposed to be in the boat. I had lost my place to one our crew who went on to row for Ireland. He fell ill that week and the Coach decided to save him for the 8 which he stroked to victory the next day. The 4 for our crew was just a fun boat throughout the year, it wasn't the priority.

76kg usually. Currently 81kg

Couch, book, hot chocolate. Or just hanging out with Caz, she takes my mind off any worry I have.

Kilimanjaro
    or
    Couple of Weeks in New Zealand with mountain bikes
    or
    San Fransisco for a couple of regular season 49er games
    or
    Italy, cause I love Italy

About 20 and I'm maxed out. I've set a goal to do 3,650 of them this year. Average 10 a day. 140 so far done...

Well JB is out as his wife is about a foot taller than him so slinging her over his shoulder would mean her feet and/or hands are dragging on the ground. Not great aerodynamics.

Might me closer between Tunney an I. Caz is a wisp of a thing so I could carry her far enough. If it was close I'm confident I could throw her over the line for the victory :D

Yep. Your tough girl hoochie style would be brill. Plus you have the endurance. Get thee to trails next year for bike skills :)

Good Questions, thanks!

Izoard wrote: »
    Speedos or jammers?
    One-piece or two piece?
    What do you work at?
    What's the longer term plan, after the "3 under 3"
    Shotgun jr. - future rower or triathlete?

LOL
    • Speedos
    • One Piece rowing, two piece tri
    • Complaints Manager
    • Do a race that genuinely excites and scares me
    • Munster Rugby :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Howdy MCOS!

1. Do you have Apple Cider Vinegar in your press, and if so have you ever swigged from the bottle?
    2. (Related to 1) What was the worst time you ever calf cramped?
    3. How far can you swim underwater blah blah blah I can swim 35m underwater on one breath- beat that!:)
    4. You've got fierce upper body strength... when you look at the skinny malinkey's with their spindly arms and sunken chests at pointy running races, ever wonder if a sub 3 run and swim is doable in the same season?
    5. How do I make the bike go faster like it did for you? Is there a switch somewhere I don't know about?
    6. Plane is going down, you hold the last two parachutes on board, and Dory and Oryx are beside you... would you do the gentlemanly thing?
    7. What changes/improvements, if any, would you like to see happen to this forum?

Good to catch up earlier Mike, as promised.

How many all out efforts can you do on the rower (to failure) as 2min on and 1min off?
    Which animal would you more likely be able to bench press, a monkey or a wooly sheep?
    What scares you?

You too Fran, be good to train together more often.

Never did one to fail so this was new. Respectable 7min 39 secs. I was shaking for a good 2 minutes from the end. Sweat rolled down my face as I entered a pain cave of sorts

No Chance! I've done a road 60min TT before and sadistically did a 60 FTP one dark night back in 2011. Both were pure sufferfests of the highest order. On the road I cracked 40km and that was a training goal for that year. I'll do an hour on the turbo with progressive watts to finish tired this week to keep you happy :)

Did this before with my Brother - 3

I think I will. Norseman beckons.

One! An all out effort 2 minute on the rower would leave me in bits for up to 5 minutes afterwards. I would still be shaking after a minute rest. Sure I could give a second rep a go after the minute but it would be dramatically lower wattage. One rower session that springs to mind similar is 500m x10 at testing pace with 60 secs rest. Its a horrible horrible set. Its the equivalent to doing 10x VO2 Max intervals on the turbo.... puking territrory

Getting called up for Irish Trials in Rowing. Problem was I had never learned to row small boats (single sculls - one guy 2 oars and pairs, 2 guys 1 oar each) and didn't do very well. More recently it is people asking me for swimming advice :eek: I still remember the day when swimming 3km in an hour was Everest

You holding a monkey on a wooly sheep's back :p

What scares you?
    Not much, and that's one of my problems. Losing loved ones obviously. I want to change career but the steps backwards to move forwards is scary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Favourite flavour of crisps?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Howdy MCOS!

1. Do you have Apple Cider Vinegar in your press, and if so have you ever swigged from the bottle?
    2. (Related to 1) What was the worst time you ever calf cramped?
    3. How far can you swim underwater blah blah blah I can swim 35m underwater on one breath- beat that!:)
    4. You've got fierce upper body strength... when you look at the skinny malinkey's with their spindly arms and sunken chests at pointy running races, ever wonder if a sub 3 run and swim is doable in the same season?
    5. How do I make the bike go faster like it did for you? Is there a switch somewhere I don't know about?
    6. Plane is going down, you hold the last two parachutes on board, and Dory and Oryx are beside you... would you do the gentlemanly thing?
    7. What changes/improvements, if any, would you like to see happen to this forum?

Hey Kurt!

1. Yes and No.
    2. Ooh worse calf cramp came in a pool half way down a 50m lane. A sudden jolt that left me clinging to the lane rope wincing for minutes. The Lifeguards were even calling over to me and ready to hand me the hook :o
    3. Haha I can do the turn in a 25m pool and make it back to the wall :P Can't quite make it in the 50m though I pop up a few meters shy every time
    4. Not sure I get this question? :confused:
    5. Just embrace the pain and do lots of sweet spot work on the turbo (the zone just below FTP)
    6. Good question. Given that parachutes are build for even the heaviest passenger, I'd strap one of the hoochies onto me and take care of us both and give the other parachute to the more confident hoochie at the time ;)
    7. A bit more tolerance for new posters. Some people are great for this though and very encouraging. Its good as is. Maybe some more interaction on some threads. I'm looking forward to the ITU thread when the season kicks off. I like reading about the predictions and who supports whom.

Favourite flavour of crisps?
    I've a sweet tooth so rarely eat crisps. If I had to choose I'd get those thick homemade type cheese and onion (don't know the name) and put a handful between 2 slices of fresh buttered cottage bread... Yum! Instead of getting crap at the cinema I bring some tayto sandwiches and a couple of oranges :)

Instead of getting crap at the cinema I bring some tayto sandwiches and a couple of oranges :)
    Come back 1978, shotgun wants you! ;)

And well done on the diplomacy of the parachute thing... Tho in truth the hoochies would take a chute each and let you jump out Captain America style :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

4. Not sure I get this question? :confused:

What I mean is, training for a 10k swim (and the rowing you are doing) will further develop your upper body, to an extent that you'll be lugging round extra muscle mass for the marathon run- muscle mass that isn't exactly optimal to most sub3 marathon runners. With that in mind, I was wondering your thoughts behind doing both in the same training cycle?

Also- what is your dream place to swim, and what was your best ever swim race?

What I mean is, training for a 10k swim (and the rowing you are doing) will further develop your upper body, to an extent that you'll be lugging round extra muscle mass for the marathon run- muscle mass that isn't exactly optimal to most sub3 marathon runners. With that in mind, I was wondering your thoughts behind doing both in the same training cycle?

Also- what is your dream place to swim, and what was your best ever swim race?

Aha got ya. Yes basically it's nuts. I thought about doing the swim in August and training mainly OW during the summer. Caz wanted to go over to London to visit a friend and the Eton Swim was about timing really. I had intended to do it last year but a wedding got in the way of training :) I could also have done the swim in May and run in DCM but Ideally I'd like to have both in the bag so I can dive into training for the Beast.

Dream place to swim. I remember some amazing waters back when I was travelling. Fiji stands out. Going back there now that I can swim would be cool. There are some cool swim events on around the globe and some hardcore ones at that, like the swim from Capri to Napoli, 38km

I've only done 3 swim races so not much to compare. Loved Glendalough last year but the Warrior of the Sea in Sligo was the best as I properly panicked and wanted to withdraw at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey Mike.

Did you race Inter & Snr champs when rowing? If so, how did ye do?
    Why did you stop rowing?
    What was your best time for an erg test when trained?
    Which squad did you have trials for? I assume lightweight.
    Do you see yourself getting more in to coaching in the coming years?
    Favourite meal?
    5 dinner guests and why?
    Do you think that you are guilty of not listening to your body enough when training? If so, are you planning to address it for your 3 big goals this year?
    How many metres can you row on the erg, all out for 3 minutes, after reading this :pac:
    Favourite race across each of the tri distances?
    Will you ever attempt sub 10 again?
    What profession would you like to switch to?

Cheers.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Have to laugh at all the 'getting you back' for the all out tests :)

How are the arms today?
    Do you suffer from DOMS often?
    What's your advice on how to recover from DOMS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You walked in to this one Mike,

Jump on the rower and do a 500m x10 at testing pace with 60 secs rest. Let us see what your feeble girly arms can pull for testing pace.

I reckon you wont break 1:45 on each one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

evening Mike.

what superpower would you pick
    what boardies scalp would you like to claim.
    what characteristic about you would you change and why.
    ideal locations for a row, swim, bike run

If you met a young Mike what advice would you give him,

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey Mike....

Hey P.

Did you race Inter & Snr champs when rowing? If so, how did ye do?
    Went to Inter Champs once in 4 and 8. 5th and 4th in finals respectively. Power wasn't there in the crew and the attitude in the lead up not good so just reward.

Why did you stop rowing?
    Very personal reasons I cannot discuss online sorry. It was a big regret though.

What was your best time for an erg test when trained?
    6:28 for 2,000m and at 75kg

Which squad did you have trials for? I assume lightweight.
    Yep LW. Problem was I crash dieted down to 73kg rather than living in a scull for a week. Power to weight wasn't there and I could barely keep the scull steady anyway. Basically exposed the fact that I hadn't learned as a Junior. I was only 2 years in the sport. Rowing is similar to swimming in that endurance and power only matter if you have a sound technical foundation

Do you see yourself getting more in to coaching in the coming years?
    Yes. I coach on off ad hoc at the moment. I'm a qualified Life Coach so the principles of real coaching are there. Coaching sports is just about doing the relevant courses and putting myself out there. I'd go deeper than just dishing out sets of work or programmes. Ultimately a coach is simply facilitating the clients journey holding them accountable to their own potential and goals.

Favourite meal?
    Shepard's Pie.

5 dinner guests and why?
    This would probably Change year on year. Now
    Sir Steve Redgrave - 5 consecutive golds at 5 Olympics in an endurance sport!
    Sir Ranulph Fiennes - mad as a brush and cool dry wit
    Arnold Schwarzenegger - Love him or hate him he has had some life
    Alicia Keys for her seductive voice and great smile
    Mario Rosenstock to take the p!as out of the lads :)

Do you think that you are guilty of not listening to your body enough when training? If so, are you planning to address it for your 3 big goals this year?
    Yes I'm that A type personality, very goal orientated. Swimming has been the thing to get me in tune with what my body is doing. You have to have a feel for the water to love it. My failures at various goals have not been down, mainly, to not working hard enough. It always comes back to conditioning, recovery and my general approach. To address, I'm just taking recovery and conditioning seriously and taking exercises seriously instead of the same old half hearted occasional stretches. Yoga works for me to get me back in the moment. I'm also gravitating towards races that are ass much about the journey as the end goal. In summary less weight on the goal and more weight on feel.

How many metres can you row on the erg, all out for 3 minutes, after reading this :pac:
    Jesus I'm getting it back :rolleyes: No access to erg now and my arms ache after doing AKWs challenge last night. I'll do one this week and report back here or the log.

Favourite race across each of the tri distances?
    Sprint - Spiddal just because the conditions were absolutely atrocious. Real welcome to the west kinda wind and rain. Most people complained and cycled like grannies. I grinned and got my only Top bike split in a trip :) In reality though its Valentina Island hands down. Great location, interesting swim, technical bike and straight out and back run up a hill. Well organised and a fun atmosphere.
    Olympic - HOTW bay swim, windy bike and stunning run. Top organisation generally
    Half - I've only done 2 and Lost Sheep was the better of the 2
    Full - again I've only done 2. Roth was epic and is probably a must do. However I'd go back to Barcelona. Simpler, logistically easy, Med swim, on a beach and its in the Autumn so you can train away in better weather and do plenty of OW swimming to prep.

Will you ever attempt sub 10 again? I'm not really bothered to be honest. If I do a brute of a race like Nice or Norseman obviously time is irrelevant. If I was doing Barcelona again I'd consider the sub 10.

What profession would you like to switch to?
    Teaching and then Coaching on the side

Good questions cheers P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Run PBs over the usual distances, 5k, 10k, Half etc,

AKW wrote: »
    Have to laugh at all the 'getting you back' for the all out tests :)

How are the arms today?
    Do you suffer from DOMS often?
    What's your advice on how to recover from DOMS?
    Triceps, lats, traps, obliques and abs all hurting. The triceps on your challenge really hurt and I'm mainly feeling those. The 7 minute plank was also pain and my core hurts too

DOMS are just a result of your body adapting to something new or a new level of intensity. You have literally stretched and broken fibres. It hurts but its a good hurt as you know the body is repairing itself that little bit stronger for further onslaught. Training consistently minimises the liklihood of DOMS. I have kettle bells planned for the weekend and I already know I will hurt for a day or two afterwards. As the saying goes no pain no basin!

Severe DOMS needs full rest. Otherwise gentle stretching, Epsom salt baths, compression, protein shakes, water. Whatever you do, do not use your roller!!

You walked in to this one Mike,

Jump on the rower and do a 500m x10 at testing pace with 60 secs rest. Let us see what your feeble girly arms can pull for testing pace.

I reckon you wont break 1:45 on each one :)
    OK seriously that's a session you do on approach to regatta season. It assumes full winter base phase and scoring build phase done :rolleyes:

If we did them in winter the rest was 90 secs. We gradually reduced the rest and increased the pace. But hey I'll give 10x500 with 90sec rest a go this week and report back. 1:45 is 7minute test pace (over 2,000m). I doubt I could pull 7 mins flat right now but I'll set the pace boat at 1:45/500m or 303watts (eqv) anbanbd what the body has in the tank

For comparison it would be like asdking you to go out onto the track and belt out 10 laps at 1500m race pace

Folks apologies for odd weird words and spelling. Updating during the day on Android and time pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hmmm pinnacle of racing career?

My Novice Uni crew were the first in the club to go to Nationals. We were first up in a coxed 4. Thats 4 fellas with one oar each and a little hoochie squeezed into the bow of the boat yelling at us through a mic. 2,000m is the race distance an it came down to less than 30cm. With 30 strokes to go we were dead level with Queens Uni Belfast. I was stroking the boat and caught a crab, as in I didn't square my blade fully and it entered the water at an angle instead of dropping in perpendicular. Applying force on the blade at that angle drives the blade down and the oar handle up. I somehow managed to wrestle it out of the water but Queens pulled a seat ahead (about 3 feet)

With 20 to go we were spent, dead, gone but I noticed the Queens Stroke blade clip the water and I yelled for everything. The boys responded and we poured our hearts and soul into the next 20 stroke to win by less than a foot and secure the first Pot for the Uni. We were absolutely shattered. Nothing was left on the course. I can almost feel that excruciating yet glorious pain to this day when I think about it. We won our 8s race the next day at a canter by comparison.

Why was it so special? I wasn't supposed to be in the boat. I had lost my place to one our crew who went on to row for Ireland. He fell ill that week and the Coach decided to save him for the 8 which he stroked to victory the next day. The 4 for our crew was just a fun boat throughout the year, it wasn't the priority.

!

Love it..reminds me of our Junior 4's win back in 93

Folks apologies for odd weird words and spelling. Updating during the day on Android and time pressed.
    Dont apologise. I think theyre brilliant. :P
    As the saying goes no pain no basin!
    My new motto!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

If you could go back and re-do your life again what would you change? if anything?
    Money no object-where would you live?
    What car would you drive?
    What bike would you cycle?

If you were to compete in rowing again (if you were young again) would you row in a University club or a local club ;) {u.l. vs smrc - the good and the bad}

Where do you see yourself in 5years time?
    How many Burpee jumps can you do in 2minutes?
    Whats your fastest time for 100m flat out on the erg? (and how many people do you need to hold the erg to stop it moving)

Favourite meal in a restuarant?

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey Mike.

Done!

Result of 3 minutes best effort: 936m, average 1:36.5/500m or 390 watts

Better than I expected but OMFG did it hurt. Still reeling from it 15 minutes later. Did 10 minutes warm up then psyched up for it. Belted off for 200m hard, then settled. Through 500m in 1:33.9 and I knew I was in trouble. Just gave it all I had to hold sub 1:40 and I was never so glad to drop the handle. FCUKED

Thanks for that punk :cool:

Advertisement