Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v news & star

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I buy the N&S most weeks and occasionally the Munster. I hate the fixation with crime stories, break-in's, etc.; it's a race to the bottom and scaring the sh*t out of everyone as they go. Also, attributing jobs and/or investment announcements to some local T.D./Senator/Councillor has gone to ridiculous levels. Just because said politician brings the story to the paper doesn't mean the paper has to attribute it to him/her ffs. What are the pols going to do; threaten to take their election ad spend to KK or WX?
    The market has shrunk for local newspapers to such a level that 1 good one should do rather than 3 mediocre ones which is what we have currently reprinting P.R's, generic inserts on lifestyles etc. covering all the publishers titles.
    Having said all of that, the N&S had a good article this week on Ciaran O'Neill/The Forum and the demise of the pub/nightclub scene in Waterford. Proper journalism - more of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    With all the talk of expenses and the one councillor being investigated by the Gardaí you would think that one of the papers would do a Freedom Of Information request on last years councillors expenses. See who went to what dodgy conference in Donegal and such ,

The reason this doesn't happen is that the council are one of the biggest customers of both papers and they wont bite hand that feeds them.

This would be very straight forward to do yourself and post the findings on this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Liz reddy just tweeted the front pages of both the news and star and the Munster. Without reading anymore in both papers yet, here are my thoughts -

It's almost like they read this thread. Munster have good news on the front, news and star have bad news. Personally I think both front page stories are terrible. Man dies from a heart attack is a terrible front page story and I don't know what that paper was thinking.

The glanbia story is thin on the ground and could have been a paid ad, never mind a front page story.

Also I see the Munster are running a two page spread on Ciaran O Neill and the forum - that's original. I wonder where they got the idea for that.

On the basis of the front pages, I have no desire to read either paper so I'll leave that up to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tosh10

agreed 110 %. Where's the "NEWS" like ??!
    Take today's N&S - Dung'van heart attack - which isnt even news was last Thursday........ widely reported the next day. Daryl Kavanagh...........everyone in the town knew last Thursday or fri and was all over wlr.
    and look @ the Munster...........glanbia? nothing to see/learn there....zzzzz. Women boxing as front photo ?? Cheekpoint robbery was known all over the county since thurs or fri.
    daily newspapers have a hard time keepin up with other media........ weeklys havent a prayer. Two of them head to head on a tuesday is making things even worse...no time or taught going into stories.
    Wat Today doesnt pretend to be a news paper....its an ad sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Munster banned from Job Bridge scam.

http://www.thejournal.ie/jobbridge-ban-1286589-Jan2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

mike65 wrote: »

I bet the news & star dont say a word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

and Tosh10, whats your problem with women boxing as the front picture ? a change from men gaa..... I happen to be one of the female boxers and I'd like you to tell me, whats the problem ?

Every Tuesday, or whatever day the Munster comes out, Dermot Keyes spams Twitter with multiple tweets about all the stuff that's in the paper this week. He hasn't tweeted once today for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tosh10

absolutely nothing Lynne.... I meant in a way that its not unusual any more..... I dont think the paper would have put 2 male boxer's on the front cover....? That was my point -- badly put accross maybe. my own daughter does taekwondo and rugby -- so zero sexism intended........!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

mike65 wrote: »

It was covered on the 9pm news on RTE tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

well actually Tosh I boxed for Ireland against China 3 years ago in Dungarvan and there was a great action shot of my male clubmate on the cover of the Munster the next week...
    last week's boxing was a full house out in the WIT sports hall with Olympic boxing captain Darren O'Neill one of the bill topper so it was a big night for Waterford amateur boxing !

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

What kinda stuff would ye have them reporting? How much really goes on in Waterford anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

deisemum wrote: »
    It was covered on the 9pm news on RTE tonight.

It sure was ,they were suspended from hiring slaves/Erm...interns for two months,
    And permanently from taking photraghpy ones ever again.....
    As the one they took on was coercied into 60 hr weeks...even tho there was no photographer in the company to be an intern under......

Will the news and star cover it I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Well they should in fairness like themselves the Munsterexpress have been printing peoples dirty laundry re:courts for years
    The walshes should be named and shamed after all the buck stops with them in this case of IMO slave labour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Will the news and star cover it I wonder

They buried it on page 22, small little story barely worth printing :rolleyes:

shockwave wrote: »
    They buried it on page 22, small little story barely worth printing :rolleyes:

haha well I don't think it was front page news tbh

Advertisement