Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Spin Wattage

• 21-01-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

For those with Power Meters out there, can any of you tell what the typical wattage is on club spins this time of year, particularly for flat or ondulating sections ?

Was surprised to see it is typically quite low on our own spins, 150-170 watts or about 2w/kg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pm78

Could b as low as 130-140 on a bad day. On a good day about 160. A lot of that time spent producing 0 watts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

For about 4 hrs: 2 W/kg on a bad day, 2.8 W/kg on a good day.

Average power is generally lower than a solo spin but more variability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi, I usually got 160w on a group spin, even if you thought it was a hard spin you still spend most of the time sitting on.

If I was out on my own it would be 180-190w ave for a steady spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

We average about 1000 watts each on our club spin.

Fear us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

lennymc wrote: »
    We average about 1000 watts each on our club spin.

Fear us.

Which still only comes out to 2w/Kg, chubby :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Had a look back there and I seem to average about 2.2 - 2.4 w/kg on a 3 hr club spin (which makes me about 400+ kgs :))

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

150-170 watts or about 2w/kg.

Sounds about right to me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Club spins tend to involve a lot of time when you're not working, benefitting from the draft with lots of freewheeling and then relatively short spurts when you're at the front. On my own club spin (which I only tend to do once in a blue moon), all hell breaks loose as we enter the "airport straight", pushing averages up (as does any hills of course), and therefore overall averages are not particularly low. Averages excluding zeros tend to be quite decent, as does NP.

Bottom line though is you're much more likely to get a decent workout on your own rather than on a long club spin. If you want to put the effort in you need to choose hilly circuits or have smaller more structured groups to try and replicate a bit more of what you can expect in races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

i_surge wrote: »
    For about 4 hrs: 2 W/kg on a bad day, 2.8 W/kg on a good day.

Average power is generally lower than a solo spin but more variability.

I'd imagine you's are fairly moving on a 2.8 day, guys on the front presumably pushing a good number

Beasty wrote: »
    Bottom line though is you're much more likely to get a decent workout on your own rather than on a long club spin. If you want to put the effort in you need to choose hilly circuits or have smaller more structured groups to try and replicate a bit more of what you can expect in races

As it turned out managed a great session with the club on Saturday. After 20 minutes did four 6 min intervals on my own (without disrupting the group flow) and then later in the spin rode two 15 min intervals at 260w (3.2 w/kg) at the front of the group. Worked well, there wasn't a problem getting somebody to ride alongside and though the effort was higher for those behind there were no objections (cold bods after the coffee stop helped of course).

Its a model I'd try and use again, intervals coupled with decent distance and good sociability.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine you's are fairly moving on a 2.8 day, guys on the front presumably pushing a good number

Small group, riding high tempo when on the front and hard on the hills.

Get home in bits!

As it turned out managed a great session with the club on Saturday. After 20 minutes did four 6 min intervals on my own (without disrupting the group flow) and then later in the spin rode two 15 min intervals at 260w (3.2 w/kg) at the front of the group. Worked well, there wasn't a problem getting somebody to ride alongside and though the effort was higher for those behind there were no objections (cold bods after the coffee stop helped of course).

Its a model I'd try and use again, intervals coupled with decent distance and good sociability.

I don't think intervals and group spins work very well! Are you doing your own thing off the back...getting dropped and catching back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Reconfigure your head unit so that it doesn't show power.

Problem solved!

i_surge wrote: »
    I don't think intervals and group spins work very well! Are you doing your own thing off the back...getting dropped and catching back on?

For the 4x6min was going off the front, turning around and riding with the group until rest interval was up, then going off the front again. They knew story beforehand so no problems and group was small with 7 riders

Advertisement