Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto electrician or mechanic for a non-working rear fog light on Micra (photo inside)

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

The mother-in-laws Micra failed NCT on a non-working rear fog light on her k12 Micra.

After checking it out, the bulb is fine, the other lights on the unit work, indicator and brake light.

So something is up with either the connection or the cluster itself.

I'm not great with wiring, so not sure. But it's one connection for all 3 bulbs.

Does this sound like a job specifically for an auto electrician, or do you reckon a regular indie mechanic can sort it?

289820.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

When switch turned on does switch indicate ok (little LED etc or switch stay down)? Also, did you check fuse? Also bulb might appear ok but might not be, it worth swap with another bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

cabb8ge wrote: »
    When switch turned on does switch indicate ok (little LED etc or switch stay down)? Also, did you check fuse? Also bulb might appear ok but might not be, it worth swap with another bulb.

Thanks for reply.

When switched on the fog light icon comes on on the dash.

Checked fuses, all seem fine.

I checked it out with another spare bulb on the far side (reverse light, the bulb is spot on).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Switch off the car, small bit of solvent and a old toothbrush / cotton bud. Give the connector a good clean out. Could be that simple. The fact that the cluster is lighting and the bulb works in another socket to me indicates a simple connector problem in that bulbs socket.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Switch off the car, small bit of solvent and a old toothbrush / cotton bud. Give the connector a good clean out. Could be that simple. The fact that the cluster is lighting and the bulb works in another socket to me indicates a simple connector problem in that bulbs socket.

I gave it a wipe down with paper towl, but no solvent. I'll try that and see if it makes any difference, although:

For what it's worth, both units are interchangable, so I switched over the other side light cluster and when plugged in it still didn't work on top, both bottom indicator and brake light did.

That way I'm thinking it's the connection that has an issue.

Update:

Car was brought to an auto electrician for a look. He said he couldn't fix it, and advised it was for a main dealer to do diagnostics check as he thought it was "something going on behind the dash".

So diagnostics from Nissan has come back saying it needs a replacement body control module, which for the part alone costs €476 ex-VAT. That's without fitting or reprogramming :eek:

Thing is, the bcm controls: lights, wipers, windows, radio etc. But all of them are working, it's just the one little fog light that doesn't.

Anybody know is there a way around it?

Surely it mustn't be completely fcuked if the other electrics above are working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Col200sx wrote: »
    Update:

Car was brought to an auto electrician for a look. He said he couldn't fix it, and advised it was for a main dealer to do diagnostics check as he thought it was "something going on behind the dash".

So diagnostics from Nissan has come back saying it needs a replacement body control module, which for the part alone costs €476 ex-VAT. That's without fitting or reprogramming :eek:

Thing is, the bcm controls: lights, wipers, windows, radio etc. But all of them are working, it's just the one little fog light that doesn't.

Anybody know is there a way around it?

Surely it mustn't be completely fcuked if the other electrics above are working?

It can surely be botched to get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

A quick search suggests that those body computers are prone to faults, some people have the opposite problem and the rear fog light can't be turned off.

Ask the auto electrician to tap into the wire coming from the switchgear, and run a new wire to the rear cluster through a relay to bypass the body module. Or even cheaper would be to install a new switch on the dash (something like this) for the rear fog light through a relay. This is maybe €10 in parts, tops. If you're anyway confident it's dead easy to do, the hardest part is removing trim along the sills to bring a wire to the rear cluster. A decent auto electrician should be able to do it in 30 mins, still far cheaper than getting a Nissan dealer to code a BCM for you.

Advertisement