Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a thread on things to do in and around Dublin... for Dubliners?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm asking this for purely selfish reasons :D

Feeling a bit uninspired regards things to do lately. I live in Ranelagh so town is only a 20 min walk away which is great.
    Currently my stock options on a weekend are heading in to a market/have a wander around town during the day then food drinks etc. in the evening. Not keen on Museums as I'd much rather read about / watch a documentary on the topic.

As a day out my favourites would be heading to Howth, doing a big walk around the cliffs then heading back for a pint and then lunch or heading out to the upper lake in Glendalough.

I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff I'm just not aware of e.g other great places to go for a walk/hike? I suppose I'm looking for something people may generally overlook.
    This would be done with the girlfriend as well so maybe not coppers/angels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Similar to the Howth walk there is the Dart to Bray and then the walk to Greystones. Lovely walk so it is!

Of course in Dublin there is a plethora of museums and galleries both in the centre and suburbs.
    Then the parks are the other major one I'd say. South from you you've the Marley and St. Enda's Park pair. There's phoenix park too with all that it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

dart out to malahide, lots of nice places to walk and eat, u could walk along coast to portmarnock which is nice and takes round an hour

glasnevin cemetery museum tour

science gallery beside trinity college

botanic gardens, especially in spring or summer is weather is good

to chill in stephens green or phoenix park if weather is good

check listings for gigs on the likes of ticketmaster or mcd.ie, usually lots of things happening, in summer theres often good things like festival or world cultures or world street performance festival etc happening so keep an eye out online

international comedy club

pitt bros smoked bbq project on georges st

national aquatic centre, in dub 15. has water park with slides etc too

the bernard shaw, any wknd - sell nice pizza from big blue bus, has good smokin / beer garden and good tunes

marlay park

climb the sugar loaf

freemasons museum in dublin 2

join a 5 a side football team or athletics group, there are loads.. if there are tournaments or races you can aim towards competing in them too and it will give u an incentive to stick with it and train / enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

dart out to malahide, lots of nice places to walk and eat, u could walk along coast to portmarnock which is nice and takes round an hour

glasnevin cemetery museum tour

science gallery beside trinity college

botanic gardens, especially in spring or summer is weather is good

to chill in stephens green or phoenix park if weather is good

check listings for gigs on the likes of ticketmaster or mcd.ie, usually lots of things happening, in summer theres often good things like festival or world cultures or world street performance festival etc happening so keep an eye out online

international comedy club

pitt bros smoked bbq project on georges st

national aquatic centre, in dub 15. has water park with slides etc too

the bernard shaw, any wknd - sell nice pizza from big blue bus, has good smokin / beer garden and good tunes

marlay park

climb the sugar loaf

freemasons museum in dublin 2

join a 5 a side football team or athletics group, there are loads.. if there are tournaments or races you can aim towards competing in them too and it will give u an incentive to stick with it and train / enjoy it.

Cheers for that buddy, the dublin bikes one isn't a bad idea. I do actually use them to pop into town, a cycle along the canal may be on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kilmainham Gaol

well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

How about the Powerscourt gardens? It's not too far and it's well worth a visit. As a tourist I've been there a million times, but I brought my bf there in November and he was pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement

goiko wrote: »
    How about the Powerscourt gardens? It's not too far and it's well worth a visit. As a tourist I've been there a million times, but I brought my bf there in November and he was pleasantly surprised.

Funnily enough I go there often enough, my girlfriend lives in enniskerry so we'd pop down there the odd time

Kilmainham Gaol

well worth a visit

Yeah it's amazing, first place I tell tourists to go. You can really sense the history

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Go see (and touch) a 400 year old naturally preserved body in St Michan's Church, just beside the four courts.

One of the coolest things I've done in Dub recently, never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

What about the flea market on Newmarket Square?

http://dublinfood.coop/drupal/?q=node/27

I am currently making same inquiry. I am hearing that Copperface Jack's is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

enda1 wrote: »
    Then the parks are the other major one I'd say. South from you you've the Marley and St. Enda's Park pair. There's phoenix park too with all that it offers.

South Anne's park as well to the North, bus leaves you right there (one of the ones you get on Abbey Street) or there's free parking outside, lovely woods to go walking through, little streams, couple of old broken balconies from whatever the **** used to be built there. Really nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Irishtown Nature Reserve, Sandymount Strand, South Bull Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kobay

www.doindublin.ie - Always updated collection of some cool things to do.

Advertisement