Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Sizing Query

• 21-01-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

Hopefully you can see the sizes on these photos - click on photo to enlarge

I bought these tyres
    new_tyre.jpg

to replace these tyres
    old_tyre.jpg

which fitted on this wheel
    wheel.jpg

Tried to fit new tyres on the wheel last night without success.

Do I persist or is the case that the new tyres do not go on these wheels. When buying I went with the 700x35C size seen on the previous tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Marathon Pluses are notoriously hard to get on at first (well, until they stretch and soften up a bit).

The first bead goes on easily enough, but getting the second bead on tends to push the first bead off as the sidewall and tread are so stiff. Try using some zip ties, or pedal straps, or additional helping hands as you try to get the second bead to seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Those tyres are the correct size for the wheel. They're both 622 ETRTO.

Did you try using tyre levers when putting them on? Some of the puncture resistant tyres are a bastard to get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Thanks
    I'll keep persisting so - I was worried that because the new wheel says 37-622 and the old one 35-622 that I'd the wrong size.

quozl wrote: »
    Those tyres are the correct size for the wheel. They're both 622 ETRTO.

Did you try using tyre levers when putting them on? Some of the puncture resistant tyres are a bastard to get on.

Yeah I used a tyre lever, but even getting the tyre in on one side was a problem as it kept popping out - the tyre felt way too meaty to fit in the wheel rim.

I'll persist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As has been said, use cable ties. Place one every few inches as you put on the tyre and fasten tightly. This will give you some relief for the last bit. Try to avoid using levers if possible as you may nip the tube.

Remove ties and inflate gradually inspecting all round as you go.

• Advertisement

As has been said, use cable ties. Place one every few inches as you put on the tyre and fasten tightly. This will give you some relief for the last bit. Try to avoid using levers if possible as you may nip the tube.

Remove ties and inflate gradually inspecting all round as you go.

Thanks for the advice. It better not puncture on the road or I'm fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You think M+ are bad, try Marathon Winter.

They're the same except with metal studs to rip into your hands.

Add sub-zero temperatures and "tubeless ready" rims and you may as well lock up the bike until spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

De Bhál wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. It better not puncture on the road or I'm fecked.
    If it's any consolation, they ease up after some use. Although I've never punctured in them, I have regularly taken them off and put them on again - usually when switching to a lighter tyre for the summer months.

Panaracer Ribmo's are more difficult to remove IMO. I've had several punctures in them - one on occasion on an unlit road on a wet night. Not much fun but I managed to get it off and on again with plenty of expletives.

Advertisement