Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I've a question re. proof of address for bank and also PPS.

I have just moved to Ireland from Australia and have been granted a working holiday visa and got my official card from GNIB yesterday. I want to get a PPS number and set up account with bank of Ireland but the proof of address is a little tricky.

a)I'm staying with friends for a few weeks until I get set up. They are reluctant to talk to landlord to add my name to any rental agreement or even really mention that I'm there as they are anticipating a rent increase and don't want to go near him. It's not practical to change any of the utility bills to my name.

B) I don't have a job yet so can't get proof of employment.

c) I can't get a mobile phone bill or anything without proof of address.

d) don't have any insurance certs/ home insurance or any of that.

ANY advice on how I can get hold of this would be great or who I can contact or if I can get a quote from home insurers to my address or anything. I've asked the GNIB to send me a letter confirming they have issued my visa but not sure they will be happy to do that.

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi katsuas[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your post and your interest in banking with us.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As Proof of address is required to open a bank account, a recent utility bill in the last 3 months or a recent government letter will be accepted.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would suggest contacting the branch of your choice and asking if an alternative can be arranged to proceed with the account opening.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Contact details of our branches can be found here[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katsuas

Thanks Alison.
    I'm just wondering like what type of letter would be accepted. Just something with the govt logo on it? So like a reply to a query to a govt dept?

I can call into branch but will I just be given standard line ? Can the bank send me a letter relating to a query and then once received at my home can I bring same letter back in?

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your post and your interest in banking with us.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As Proof of address is required to open a bank account, a recent utility bill in the last 3 months or a recent government letter will be accepted.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would suggest contacting the branch of your choice and asking if an alternative can be arranged to proceed with the account opening.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Contact details of our branches can be found here[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would not be in a position here to confirm particulars on the letter requirements.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As we can only inform potential customers of the standard account opening requirements that you need to provide, it will be necessary to contact the branch of your choice. A Customer Advisor can arrange a 1-1 meeting to advise clearly the documents they may accept in the form of proof of address.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies, in this case we could not advise you further.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison [/font]

Advertisement