Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montrose converting to Student Accomodation

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/dublin-s-montrose-hotel-to-re-open-as-student-residence-1.1662081
    Construction to convert the former hotel, located about 1km from the entrance to RTÉ and a short walk from the UCD campus, has begun and, when completed, will consist of 192 en-suite bedrooms.
    Its developers say it will offer “three- to four-star hotel-standard” accommodation to its residents with a proposed entry-level price of €175 per week.

This all came up before and at the time the residents shot it down, but it looks like that speedbumps been overcome.

Delighted it's happening, as it's a perfect place to put dedicated student housing, though the price seems a bit steep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Raphael wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/dublin-s-montrose-hotel-to-re-open-as-student-residence-1.1662081

This all came up before and at the time the residents shot it down, but it looks like that speedbumps been overcome.

Delighted it's happening, as it's a perfect place to put dedicated student housing, though the price seems a bit steep.

Thats the entry level price, but there are plenty of people who pay for Roebuck 2, and I think there will be plenty of people who will potentially pay for a party free quieter res. Perhaps post grads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

About time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I was over at the bank yesterday and walking into the carpark I was just thinking to myself that it would make ideal student accommodation. Glad to hear it's going to go ahead. It's badly needed. Price seems a bit steep, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

errlloyd wrote: »
    Thats the entry level price, but there are plenty of people who pay for Roebuck 2, and I think there will be plenty of people who will potentially pay for a party free quieter res. Perhaps post grads etc.

The most expensive (uncatered) campus accommodation is €162 a week, so if the cheapest places they have are smaller and more expensive than the best on campus stuff, it's a bit sucky. Not that they won't fill the place in about 20 seconds, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Raphael wrote: »
    The most expensive (uncatered) campus accommodation is €162 a week, so if the cheapest places they have are smaller and more expensive than the best on campus stuff, it's a bit sucky. Not that they won't fill the place in about 20 seconds, mind you.

An article I read somewhere else claimed the smallest room they had was bigger than on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

errlloyd wrote: »
    An article I read somewhere else claimed the smallest room they had was bigger than on campus.

...Man, I just cannot read. That's what the article I linked said, I just got it backwards.

*headdesk*

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

has anyone booked/secured a room yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

IsaBrown wrote: »
    has anyone booked/secured a room yet?

I drove past the other day and I'd be surprised if it was ready for the 2014 / 2015 semester. There is a quite a lot to do both inside and out.

Advertisement