Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave too much excess cash to parent

Options
  • 21-01-2014 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

:eek::eek: Hi, hoping someone can help me. I have an entity which had a lot of excess cash and it gave it to its parent, however at the time I was being stupid and gave it all to the parent but didn't think of it as a dividend so actually in fact paid too much dividends. I have reversed in my accounts the dividend which would not be allowed, but now have a massive receivable amount owed from the parent to the subsidiary for this excess cash - anyone have any ideas of how to get around this, other than having the parent give the funds back to the subsidiary? And if that is to happen, how on earth am I meant to get the money out at all.....unless I wind up the company?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

:eek::eek: Hi, hoping someone can help me. I have an entity which had a lot of excess cash and it gave it to its parent, however at the time I was being stupid and gave it all to the parent but didn't think of it as a dividend so actually in fact paid too much dividends. I have reversed in my accounts the dividend which would not be allowed, but now have a massive receivable amount owed from the parent to the subsidiary for this excess cash - anyone have any ideas of how to get around this, other than having the parent give the funds back to the subsidiary? And if that is to happen, how on earth am I meant to get the money out at all.....unless I wind up the company?

Talk to your accountant, he/she will have an understanding of your company structure etc and should be able to advise the most appropriate/cost effective/legal way of doing this.

If you don't have an accountant. Get an accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I dont know what you mean by "gave", was it a dividend or was it a loan. There are mechanisms for forgiivness of inter company debt among connected companies.

It cannot be a receivable if it was a dividend. It would seem like Graham has a point, if you have made this mess because you did not seek proper professional advice first time around, it would be smart to do so now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aprilgirl80

Hi - I am actually the accountant, I had only joined the company at the time. On a consol basis, it washes out but separately it is sitting as an intercompany debtor/creditor between parent/subsidiary. I originally gave it as a dividend to the parent but now I am classifying it as intercompany, it is not a formal loan though, more a trading balance??

To me it is a simple short term inter-company loan, an asset in the lender and a liability in the other! If there is likely to be a counterbalanceing tarde, you might classify it as a prepayment/accrual. I am an engineer!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi - I am actually the accountant, I had only joined the company at the time. On a consol basis, it washes out but separately it is sitting as an intercompany debtor/creditor between parent/subsidiary. I originally gave it as a dividend to the parent but now I am classifying it as intercompany, it is not a formal loan though, more a trading balance??

Ohhhhhhhh

Perhaps here ->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=872

• Advertisement

I feel a Father Ted bank account moment coming on....! It was just "resting" in the parent Co account.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aprilgirl80

Thanks both, well the good thing is we still have the money in the parent bank account, so in the next month or so I can just transfer it back as necessary? Yes it is "resting" at present!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Graham wrote: »

Or here ... even ...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :o

Advertisement