Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon oil - yes or no?

• 21-01-2014 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Just wondering would it be a good idea to supplement my dog's food with salmon oil? I feed him Barking Heads senior which has a small amount of salmon oil and trout - both of which give some omega 3 and 6.

On http://dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html#fishoil

"An important source of omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. Omega-3 EFAs are beneficial to the immune system, the nervous system, the heart, and help stop inflammation, such as in arthritis and allergies. They also support brain development of puppies and fetuses. This is probably the most important supplement to give, no matter what you feed, as Omega-3 EFAs are hard to find even in a natural diet, and are highly perishable when exposed to heat, light or air, so they do not survive in commercial foods even if added."

What do you think? Is it really necessary or is there enough in my dog food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Healty Hounds are having a 20% off sale atm with the code fbjan14.

www.healthyhoundsnutrition.com

I give it to my dogs mixed in with their veg (they're raw fed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

odckdo wrote: »
    Just wondering would it be a good idea to supplement my dog's food with salmon oil? I feed him Barking Heads senior which has a small amount of salmon oil and trout - both of which give some omega 3 and 6.

"An important source of omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. Omega-3 EFAs are beneficial to the immune system, the nervous system, the heart, and help stop inflammation, such as in arthritis and allergies. They also support brain development of puppies and fetuses. This is probably the most important supplement to give, no matter what you feed, as Omega-3 EFAs are hard to find even in a natural diet, and are highly perishable when exposed to heat, light or air, so they do not survive in commercial foods even if added."

It's not necessary, no more than humans taking supplements is. A balanced diet should cover everything needed, but there'd be no harm in giving it if you wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

odckdo wrote: »

Ive been feeding it with my cockers food for the past 7 years and find it great... here's they one I buy:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/139892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Yep! Been feeding it regularly for over a year now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I feed my dog 1 can of sardines per week. On a Sunday! You can get cheap cans in Aldi for I think 49 cent, but again a balanced diet will provide all they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

i feed raw and include a drop of salmon oil (healthy hounds)and a spoonful of kelp a couple of times a week, a few friends share the cost of a 5ltr and it works out at €12.50 a ltr each

Advertisement