Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation- starting up!

Options
  • 21-01-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've decided a few weeks ago, to also do the "big" step and start my own new business.

Despite my own motivation/effort and ideas, I find it really hard sometimes to come across people who simply dont think you will make it.
    Its okay for me to handle them, everybody has an opinion and often that helps to keep me going (as I want to proof them it is indeed possible!)

But sometimes I experience the "usual" down-phase and thats when I thought:

Is there any groups or meetings of starters who share their challenges, stories etc to motivate each other?
    In my case, it helps if i talk to people, i get many new ideas, inspiration and simply: more motivation and energy.
    I think it helps if you share your difficulties/worries with people who experience the same.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Local enterise boards/SFA/ISME/Chambers all run various events locally around the country, these events/talks /seminars are usually attended by postive entrepreneurial types. Techies also have meet-ups, if that is your field, you could try some of their boards on here. Perhaps some of our Cork posters could offer some ideas for your neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

That sounds great, I havent found the right platform or "event page" yet to find those meetings etc. I hope someone can help me with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

have you contacted Local enterprise boards/SFA/ISME/Chambers to ask about their events?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Celica - what type of business and location - we may be able to assist further. For example there are loads of Tech startup meets in Dublin that I could point you at.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

have you contacted Local enterprise boards/SFA/ISME/Chambers to ask about their events?

not yet, I will call them later or tomorrow anyway (for another question) and will ask them then.

@ifah:
    its a service in Co.Cork :) not tech related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Protelos01

celica00 wrote: »
    not yet, I will call them later or tomorrow anyway (for another question) and will ask them then.

@ifah:
    its a service in Co.Cork :) not tech related

I started up a few years ago and to be honest it didn't go to well but I learned more than I could have imagined.
    During this time everyone was very negative in my social group and I did find the wider chamber group etc very self serving and not really open to younger people or diverse industries.
    What I now have done is found a pocket of people that I meet one a week and shoot the bull... Nothing is off limits as everyone is equally open minded business wise! Remember they all laughed at Chris Columbus!!!
    So what to do keep the eye out of the business post, Sunday times etc and set up ur own meet... Mail shot the likes of hairy baby, d's burger etc....I couldn't recommend it more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

From someone starting up in a non retail, non tech area, I've found it tough to find meetings and groups to talk with that 'get' what I'm doing. Inevitably the chamber of commerce/ enterprise board meetings are geared towards businesses that are making something or have plans to export etc.

Luckily no-one (even within those areas) has much negative to say about my plans, but then I get freaked out about that! Surely i should have some nay-Sayers by now??!!???

I guess, op, it's just a matter of casting around. Do the folks I this forum ever do beers like the other forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Look at social media for potential meetups. @CianaAspell is based in Cork, so she might be able to give you a few tips.

Advertisement