Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay power

Options
  • 21-01-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

My tenant has just asked me about getting pre pay for gas and electricity .

And I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar request.

And what pitfalls could arise from me giving the go ahead to tenant.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You'll have to pay to have the meter removed from your property if your next tenant doesn't want prepay power.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

You'll have to pay to have the meter removed from your property if your next tenant doesn't want prepay power.

Thanks for reply, would that be expensive in your experience ?

Also is there a minimum sign up for the tenant ie a year or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

For prepay power its 12 month contract with rolling 1 month after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88538868&postcount=50

SCHEDULE OF CHARGES
    Schedule of Charges
    Meter Replacement charge €135
    Keypad Replacement charge €50
    Customer Card Replacement Charge €10
    Call out fee €50
    Out of hours - weekday €90
    Out of hours -- weekend €130
    Early Termination of contract = Meter removal fee + number of months remaining on the contract x €10
    Meter removal Fee €50
    Number of months remaining on the contract x €10
    Paper Statement Fee €5

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Personally, I'd avoid like the plague.

If you do go ahead, be sure to check the prepay meter as well as the usual meter reading on leaving date prior to the return of the deposit as I've heard stories of tenants leaving them in max arrears and the utility companies refusing to budge until they've been settled.

It's a strange one as it in some way ties the utilities usage to the property rather than the tenant which is a farse. Usually utilities related arrears were something a LL never had to worry about and it was up to the utility companies to chase the ex-tenant's debt but these meters are changing the game as it prevents LLs getting in new tenants until the arrears have been sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Is there not have a modern version of the old coin meters they had back in the 80s and 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Personally, until there's a way to top up online, I'd avoid these like the plague, as if the power runs out at night and you've had a few drinks, you'll have to walk to the nearest 24-7 petrol station that does it, and that may be a good few hours walk away (one of the lads has it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

the_syco wrote: »
    Personally, until there's a way to top up online, I'd avoid these like the plague, as if the power runs out at night and you've had a few drinks, you'll have to walk to the nearest 24-7 petrol station that does it, and that may be a good few hours walk away (one of the lads has it).

You can top up online. It's more expensive and we have given it a go and we are definitely more conscious of our usage but not sure I'll stick with it after contract is up because of the higher unit price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP there was a thread started the other day on the same issue - lots of opinions on the prepay options.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057127555

Maybe a read of that will answer some of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Electricity prepay is a lot easier to install and get removed than the gas! The cost is at least €13 extra per month though on top of the highest rate of electricity plus all standing charges, and removal of the equipment at the end of the initial 12 month period is usually free.

Gas prepay is a different bag of cats altogether! Usually it will only be installed if payments are in arrears a lot and then it will cost to have the equipment installed, this is included in your prepay charges.

There is no monthly charge for using prepay gas payment!! All you pay for is the gas used plus the normal standing charges!

It is a lot harder to get the gas prepay meters removed as it takes a bit more work and costs quite a bit and bord Gais will usually require the removal costs plus a €300 deposit up front before removing the prepay meter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

the_syco wrote: »

Prepay Power will not stop a supply outside of normal business hours.
    And I top up online all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is a matter of the tenant not wanting to pay in one lump sum every two months, they can pay occasional instalments (€10-20/week) at the post office, Payzone, etc.

I would find their query to be a flag that they are finding things difficult financially - no harm to have a general chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

I have a rental house, as soon as prospective tenants see the prepay meter they walk out.
    I also found the installer critised the house to the tenants,in my absence.A complaint to prepay power got nowhere.
    Also when people see the prepay meter they think you are poor or have been cut off.
    I was told I would have to pay €150 to cancel prepay.
    AVOID
    e.r wrote: »
    My tenant has just asked me about getting pre pay for gas and electricity .

And I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar request.

And what pitfalls could arise from me giving the go ahead to tenant.

Thanks

Advertisement