Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpoint Aquarius WD440 - How will I empty it?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My sister has a Hotpoint Aquarius WD440 and it wont drain. I called around to clear the filter on the front but there is none. There is just a black tube held in by herbie clips which leads to the pump. I will have to remove this but there is a load of water in the drum and there is not enough space to get a tray in below it. There are also wires hanging below it. Any ideas how to get the water out without flooding the kitchen? They must have designed it like this to force people to call them out.

The door is locked as there is water in it. Photo of the tube attached.

Here is a youtube vid that will show you the (lack of) space I have to work with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Can you get the outlet pipe lower that the drum, gravity will help the water out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The interlock will disengage from the door and you will be able to soak up the most of the water from the drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Follow Frankmul's advice and lower the outlet hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

frankmul wrote: »
    Can you get the outlet pipe lower that the drum, gravity will help the water out.

Outlet being the waste pipe?

engrish? wrote: »
    Outlet being the waste pipe?
    Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

frankmul wrote: »

Give it a shake from side to side to get the water flowing, sometimes they can be slow to get started

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks folks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

alf66 wrote: »
    Give it a shake from side to side to get the water flowing, sometimes they can be slow to get started

Heavy duty black poly bag or similar, with no holes in it. blow it up so that there's lots of air in the bag, tape it firmly on to the end of the drain hose, then put on the floor below the door level, as low as possible.

Squeeze bag hard to push air through hose and pump, that should then allow water into bag. and make it easy to dispose of it. The air going "the wrong way" should help to clear any blockage, or at least partially dislodge it to get the flow moving again.

Lift hose up and remove tape, bag of water can then be emptied, and pump blockage properly cleared without much hassle.

Vacuum cleaner in blow mode taped to the drain hose can also help dislodge a blockage to allow the machine to be emptied. Don't use suck mode, that may embed the blockage even harder, and unless it's a wet & Dry vacuum, water and vacuum's don't mix well.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Heavy duty black poly bag or similar, with no holes in it. blow it up so that there's lots of air in the bag, tape it firmly on to the end of the drain hose, then put on the floor below the door level, as low as possible.

Squeeze bag hard to push air through hose and pump, that should then allow water into bag. and make it easy to dispose of it. The air going "the wrong way" should help to clear any blockage, or at least partially dislodge it to get the flow moving again.

Lift hose up and remove tape, bag of water can then be emptied, and pump blockage properly cleared without much hassle.

Vacuum cleaner in blow mode taped to the drain hose can also help dislodge a blockage to allow the machine to be emptied. Don't use suck mode, that may embed the blockage even harder, and unless it's a wet & Dry vacuum, water and vacuum's don't mix well.

This paticular machine has a non return (valve)flap on the pump outlet attempting the above will get you knowwhere other than possible leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

This paticular machine has a non return (valve)flap on the pump outlet attempting the above will get you knowwhere other than possible leaks.

Ahh, OK, that's not helpful. Plan B would have to be a wet & Dry cleaner then, if the idea of putting the drain down at floor level doesn't get things moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Some Hotpoint machines have a drain filter hidden behind the kick panel at the bottom of the machine.

See if you can Google an instruction book for the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just watched the video!

That is a ridiculously stupid design.

I would advise against this move as it would send up whatever material that has created the blockage i.e coins, nail, screw, colour catcher etc back into the drum, i see a similar move made before and a coin destroying the drum within a week, now granted it might have been a coincidence but the risk could outweigh its reward.

WikiHow wrote: »
    I would advise against this move as it would send up whatever material that has created the blockage i.e coins, nail, screw, colour catcher etc back into the drum, i see a similar move made before and a coin destroying the drum within a week, now granted it might have been a coincidence but the risk could outweigh its reward.

No argument, we were told that getting the machine out was a problem, and that it's full of water.

If it was my machine at home, it would be taken out of it's position, the back panel removed, the pump to drum connection removed while over a tray to catch the water, and the filter cleared and checked, along with the pump and drain hose. The implication was that this was not possible. My suggestion was a possible way to get the water out so that the door can be opened without flooding the place.

The other option would be a wet & Dry vacuum cleaner to get the water out, and then still strip things as outlined.

There are equally sometimes ways to tip a machine so that the door can be opened even though the machine is full, without spilling the water, which allows the water to be removed. All depends on the access available and the space to work in.

Advertisement