Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep Grand Cherokee Question

Options
  • 21-01-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I've a 2004 Jeep G/C 2.7 CRD. Owned for six years with no problems.

For the past month I've been getting an intermittent engine fault light
    on short journeys from cold. When the fault light is on, the auto won't
    go higher than first gear. The Jeep was serviced a couple of months ago.
    (oil & filter change) Typically I only do a few miles a week for a grocery run,
    as I live in central Dublin. Usually on the return journey the fault light will
    stay off and the transmission works as normal.

Any ideas what might be causing the fault light and why would the transmission
    be 'locking' in first gear?

Any suggestions of somewhere reliable where I could take it close to central Dublin,
    to get a diagnostic reading done?

Much appreciated guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sounds like the computer has detected a transmission fault - possibly one of the sensors - and put the 'box into "limp-home" mode. A fault code scan is the only job for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

jimgoose wrote: »
    Sounds like the computer has detected a transmission fault - possibly one of the sensors - and put the 'box into "limp-home" mode. A fault code scan is the only job for her.

Cheers Jim. Will do. I'm hoping its only a sensor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly this could also be from a low charge in the battery, when was that last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

biko wrote: »
    Possibly this could also be from a low charge in the battery, when was that last changed?

Hi Biko.
    I put in a new heavy duty battery a couple of years ago.
    There's a drain on the battery from a fault in the park
    distance control and I need to top up the battery with a
    run of a few miles every week.
    Cheers
    Max

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a test, see if you can find a brand new battery, or at least one with full charge.
    Then try to start it up and see how she goes.

You can also test the battery if you have the equipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement