Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestion for a church-friendly song or two?

• 21-01-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas on a few songs that would be church friendly for a wedding? Heard Into My Arms (Nick Cave) done and that worked, even though it's about not believing in god.
    As long as it sounds mellow and some bit holy/gospel.
    I was thinking of I Shall Not Walk Alone by the Blind Boys of Alabama. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The xx-Angles maybe?

Sounds church friendly ish to me plus the word love is said like twenty times so your well covered there :p. Beautiful song I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    The xx-Angles maybe?

Sounds church friendly ish to me plus the word love is said like twenty times so your well covered there :p. Beautiful song I think.

Snap! I was just about to say that. Only thinking 'as in love with you as I am' sounds a bit flirty in my mind. But that's probably just me.

A lovely song could be Glósolí by Sigur Rós

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Ray La Montagne - Be Here Now
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Gospel Song
    Moodswings Spiritual High/State of Independence (might be too up-tempo but has more of a blissful vibe than Vangelis or Donna Summer)

I was gonna suggest Jane's Addiction "Up The Beach" but it has a few startling chords in the beginning which would probably break the stained glass windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SubCulchie

I shall be released - Dylan.. Can't go too far wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

James Vincent McMorrow - Higher Love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Spiritualized have a few gospel/religious type songs across their albums, check out the album Let It Come Down, a few on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Cheers for the ideas folks. As it happens herself has suggested Higher love already so could be a go er, although singer is female. Sigur Ros could be tricky to replicate! I dont think she speaks Hopelandic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Spiritualized have a few gospel/religious type songs across their albums, check out the album Let It Come Down, a few on there.
    Spacemen 3 had plenty of religious type songs as well. They're proper druggy music, but I'm sure a few church-goers won't notice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

RikkFlair wrote: »

Or Cool Waves maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I can't think of anything particular song but I'm sure Sufjan Stevens would have a few appropriate songs. I'll give it a bit of thought...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh My Love: John lennon

let love speak up itself: beautiful south

two great piano led songs perfect for a church wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

dear god? xtc. it's kind of a prayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Heard Into My Arms (Nick Cave) done and that worked, even though it's about not believing in god.

Just to be a pedant, it mentions not believing in an 'interventionist god' but I know what you mean!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The Cure- lovesong

It's the perfect love song, written as a wedding present to his wife.

Or

The Cure- Just like heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Foy Vance - Guiding Light?

Chorus would be lovely for a wedding, verse's maybe not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lil C

I am the Resurrection - The Stone Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

tower of strength by the mission

higher love by Depeche Mode
    condemnation by Depeche Mode
    nearer than heaven by The Delays

• Advertisement
Advertisement