Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need thin client setup with windows utilising old hardware

Options
  • 21-01-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Sorry in advance if this all sounds a bit vague. The owner of the company I work for has advised me that he wants to switch the setup in this office (14 people here) to a thin client type model. Initially he wanted to use openthin client, but because of software needs, we have to use windows.

The issue at hand is that the bossman does not want to invest in any new hardware. We have servers (mostly linux, I think off the top of my head we have one windows server licence that we can use ourself) and plenty of old desktops (early vista era). He's asked for a setup that will make it easy for us to manage the setups of people. The system must allow for dual monitors for most machines.

Now instead of asking the high-up IT fellows, he's asked me for some options (he only wants to distract the IT gurus when a decision has been taken). I know a bit about this, but not much. Any ideas for a system that will allow for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Lol.

Well i Guess he could have a Hosted Virtual Desktop solution.

Have the thin client (some software solution) log onto a Desktop controller or Remote Desktop server, that points to a Linux Desktop. Use the Windows Server as a Domain Controller. I dont know if hell afford the licenses for hosted desktop solution tho.

Off the top of my head would be a Citrix Receiver on the Thin Client, working with Citrix Zen Desktop that points to your virtual desktops.

WRT to the Virtual Desktops, on a server you would need to install a Hyper V or VMware to host multiple desktops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Lol.
    It's so silly that he's asked me, but who am I to question the bossman? Does mean I can legitimately spend some time on boards though :D
    Off the top of my head would be a Citrix Receiver on the Thin Client, working with Citrix Zen Desktop that points to your virtual desktops.
    Would this allow for windows desktops? And also, is there a hardware buy-in for these solutions, or can you re-use old machines?

dulpit wrote: »
    It's so silly that he's asked me, but who am I to question the bossman? Does mean I can legitimately spend some time on boards though :D

Would this allow for windows desktops? And also, is there a hardware buy-in for these solutions, or can you re-use old machines?

Yes it works for windows or linux, depending how you set it up. I guess if you have a good server thats capable of a Hyper V (Virtual Machine Host) you wouldnt need a hardware buy-in.#

There are software costs tho. You would have to check that out yourself.

Long story short, what your bossman is looking for is a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or Solution

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yes it works for windows or linux, depending how you set it up. I guess if you have a good server thats capable of a Hyper V (Virtual Machine Host) you wouldnt need a hardware buy-in.#

There are software costs tho. You would have to check that out yourself.

Long story short, what your bossman is looking for is a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or Solution
    Yep, looking at Citrix's VDI in a box as a possibility. Utterly over my head, but what can you do, eh? :rolleyes:

Yep, looking at Citrix's VDI in a box as a possibility. Utterly over my head, but what can you do, eh? :rolleyes:

Ok, think about this.

On one existing server, install a Virtual Machine host, examples, hyper V, ESXi,vCentre.

On a second server, or the same, install a windows domain controller

On thin client, install a free Remote Desktop connection software, team vioewer, citirx, rdp, logme in

Thats a simple solution without the Citirx Virtual DEsktop controller (small bti over kill)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If what you want is to keep the current windows machines, transfer over to built to order thin clients as the machines go down. I'd take a look at thinkiosk, the free version would suit your needs. It locks down a Windows machine to only use the connection type of your choosing. All other access is locked out, turning it into a thin client.

VDI in a box would work well with a decent specced server and 14 users.

Advertisement