Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Protectors?

• 21-01-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I saw those Dainese back protectors for sale in TK Maxx recently and so I picked one up to check it out (€27 - not crazy expensive), I'm not sure i'm sold on it but its deffinately a lot more protection than those foam inserts that come with your jacket.

Has anybody any experience with these, are they a worth-while thing to have or is it just another piece of gear that will get left in the closet?

Here is the one I found in TK Maxx

gd_ACTIVE-SHIELD-01-EVO-protec.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Feckin hell, that's cheap! If it fits you it will be far better than the foam inserts!

BTW, which TK Maxx did you see that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

The TK MAXX in Galway, they prob have them in other stores too, they seem to randomly get in motorcycle related gear, i picked up a waterproof oxford backpack a while back for a fraction of what it should cost.

I must check out a few near to me as I'd definitely pick one up at that price. It'd be a case of If i had it I'd wear it!

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I must check out a few near to me as I'd definitely pick one up at that price. It'd be a case of If i had it I'd wear it!

Yeah I hear ya, I'm beginning to think that too, I wonder though is there a point where if you need this much gear to feel safe should you just buy a car... with the cost of all the PPE sure you'd have a car bought already! :rolleyes:

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Yeah I hear ya, I'm beginning to think that too, I wonder though is there a point where if you need this much gear to feel safe should you just buy a car... with the cost of all the PPE sure you'd have a car bought already! :rolleyes:

God no! My commute would be way too long and boring in a car!

BTW, The Peoples Front of Judea is that way --->

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

That's a serious bargain you got yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Good bargain, shame TK Max have such random stocking.

I just replaced the foam in my jacket with the official insert. It doesn't offer as much protection as the dedicated ones but since it's in the jacket I will never be tempted to not put it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

How long ago were they in tk max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I never go into TK Maxx so I didn't even know they stocked bike gear occasionally. Thanks for this OP, will keep an eye out in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I picked up a couple of these in Lidl (or Aldi) a couple of years back, they are great, very comfortable. Haven't tested them out in an accident yet (thankfully).

• Advertisement

sean61 wrote: »
    How long ago were they in tk max?

I just picked it up yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

i have a back protector and wear it every day (I forget it's there, not obtrusive at all).
    I guess it's up to you whether you leave it in the closet or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have the KNOX front and back protection, NEVER leave the house on the bike without it. Its so comfortable at this stage its like a 2nd skin, I will admit the first few times you wear it - it does not feel great. But Its a must have IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I left the house the other morning without my Knox back protector on, got down the road, just didn't feel right, realised what it was and turned around to get it. Everything's a bit more snug after Christmas, but still wouldn't leave that off. Tested the Lidl one once, slow speed, but landed badly on my back - I Just know if I hadn't had it on I'd have been off the bike for a while. Well worth the money IMO.

I guess I'll just have to take a trip to TK Maxx now - Oh No!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Definitely going to tk maxx soon as I can!

Gonna have a peak in the one in Drogheda today to see can I get a spare....if there are more then one I will get them for lads. AND MAKE A TIDY PROFIT DEL BOY STYLE!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

don't horde safety gear!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Gonna have a peak in the one in Drogheda today to see can I get a spare....if there are more then one I will get them for lads. AND MAKE A TIDY PROFIT DEL BOY STYLE!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

If you see a spare I might get you to pick one up for me. I'm going to try a few local ones over the next few days myself. Would hate to miss out on one at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

not sure what difference it makes, or if it makes any at all, but seen the back protectors in TKMax, and they are called up as for skiing and snowboarding. still got one though as it still has to be better than what I have in the jacket.
    what do people think?

search for this on amazon, not attempting to embed it.
    Dainese Active Shield 01 Winter Sports Back Protector
    to find something "similar" to what I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I cant drive without one, feels too strange!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Fecking bargin!
    Whats the model of yours? Is it definatly for bikes?
    I have a Knox Aegis back protector, had the dainese wave air and it was to bulky.
    Much prefer the Knox myself.

Got the last 2 in Drogheda today, very good model lovely colour and will do a treat for a spare. Comes in its own carry case too, fits perfect has protection straps for the kidneys too.

@ Rosie,

I would have bought 5 or 6 if they were there mate, the other one I got is for smiler if he does not take it you can have 1st refusal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Got the last 2 in Drogheda today, very good model lovely colour and will do a treat for a spare. Comes in its own carry case too, fits perfect has protection straps for the kidneys too.

@ Rosie,

I would have bought 5 or 6 if they were there mate, the other one I got is for smiler if he does not take it you can have 1st refusal.

add me to that list lol

LOL Blue, he was on the phone to me secs after I posted up I was going looking for them. Have to say they are the bizzo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Hi, one left in blanchardstown center , up escalator, straight ahead, top shelf, black bag. Size large & grey / white colour.
    Picked up one, seem to be great value for 27 euro.

Advertisement