Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AeroPress + Able Filter...

• 21-01-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Today, I received my Hario grinder and Aeropress combo in the post. I finally bit the bullet, made my first cup and am reassured I made the correct decision! :)

I know it'll take me a while to get my process down and to figure out exactly what I like, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Able Filter vs. the standard paper filters for use with the AeroPress?

I bought the combo above from JustCoffee.ie and I see that they also do the Able Filters (https://www.justcoffee.ie/shops/?slug=accessory). Does anyone have any experience with or comments on these filters?

Side note: I found these guys via Adverts.ie when looking for a second-hand AeroPress. Pierre was the name of the fella who helped me out and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Loads of pre-sale advice and they even included some free stuff in the box when I received it! I've no affiliation with them whatsoever, but I always like to promote local business (I think they're based in Kerry). Hope that's ok, Mods!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Great to hear of another person enjoying the aeropress and always good to have another Irish supplier for coffee gear. Their pricing on the able disc is very competitive compared to Amazon UK where I bought mine. (Haven't checked postage but can't imagine disc alone being expensive).

At the price they're selling I'd recommend one. I'm not saying metal is better than paper but it is different. I find the coffee more full bodied with the metal disc. Nothing wrong with the paper, some people dislike the paper taste (can help to rinse the paper first), some people!e dislike the 'oils' (I like them). Paper is easier to clean up but it's not like the metal disc method is a chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Tonight, I made my after-dinner coffee with-filter. I left mine at work and was going Able filter until tonight. Apart from what Gran Hermano said about a 'cleaner' coffee, I'd also add that the paper filter makes for a smoother, even and easier press and enhances the vibrancy of the colour of the coffee, especially when/if you add milk. An advantage of the metal filter is that you can stop coffee falling through during the brew by placing the plunger on, creating a vacuum; this isn't as easy with a paper filter. On balance I probably prefer paper, but that might change, but I'll never be caught short of paper filters if I've my Able.

For recipes, there are a few good websites to begin experimenting. I began with a Coffee Angel Yirgacheffe ground for Aeropress and followed Aeropress' own instructions. More recently, I've been drinking a 3FE blend and making it as follows:

- Traditional method, rinse the paper filter, attach, place on mug and run hot water through it, drain the mug
    - Add one level scoop of 1.5-minute coffee and pre-infuse with some of your water, start the timer
    - After 30 seconds, fill up to the '3' mark and let infuse
    - At 1.15, stir the coffee for 10 seconds
    - at 1.30, begin a slow, firm press that should last 30 seconds

And you're done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I haven't found any difference in sediment between using the fine Able filter and paper. In both cases I end up with a pretty clean cup. I too like the oils that you get from the metal filter. The only down-side that I can see (apart from the extra 5 seconds of clean-up) is the mention of the impact of coffee oils on cholestrol. I don't have cholestrol issues myself, but will probably alternate between paper and the metal filter, just in case.

By the way, you can buy them both standard and fine filters directly from Able brewing in the US, for $20. Can't remember if/what the postage was, but it worked out sigificantly cheaper than buying from a local distributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Impact of coffee on cholesterol is open to heavy debate.

The inventor of the aeropress is one of those who believes paper removes the oils and cafestrol and is healthier.
    Some reports/studies indicate you'd need to drink 5-10 cups daily of coffee with heavy amounts of cafestrol (French press type) to have a bad impact.

I like the oils and body of paper made without paper. The metal discs minimise the sludge and grinds in the cup compared to say French press. I find the paper removes the 'soul'. I'd be more concerned about the cholesterol in the milk if drinking latte/cappuccino.

If worried about cholesterol, talk to your GP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I shouldn't be surprised at the level of detail in the responses I suppose, but I am! Thanks all - I think I'll definitely give the metal filter a shot anyway and see how I get on.

sarkozy, thanks for the recipe. I'm using a 3FE blend myself too and will try out your steps. One thing I noticed is that I used more coffee and *less* water than you describe, but I still felt the cup was on the weaker side (and I prefer a stronger cup). Admittedly, I added a little milk too, but I'm thinking there's a step in my process that is causing the weaker cup. I didn't leave it sit / infuse for anywhere near as long as you describe though, so perhaps that's the cause?

Keep in mind, I'm totally new to this and will be prone to other rookie mistakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

on my fourth pack of papers, thats over 1000 aeropresses and although I have the coava disk (and never used the able version), I still go back to paper much more often. I always rinse the paper with boiling water and give it a good shake to get rid of excess water (more of a habit I reckon).

Dont be afraid to reuse papers either! This may sound tight, but I was caught abroad with only 20 paper filters for 2 weeks and had to improvise.....worked a treat.

Yeah, I've looked at a lot of different videos and figure different things work for different coffees.

With the Yirgacheffe from Coffee Angel, I began by adding two scoops, filling water up to #2, immediately stirred the slurry for 10 seconds and pressed, then added boiled water to top up. It worked for that coffee.

With the 3FE Brazilian blend, it was the method I outlined above (a 1.5 minute ground). Tonight, I bought a 3FE 1 minute grind.

But it's all personal taste. And, to be honest, I find myself beginning to prefer lighter coffee having gotten so used to drinking enormous moka espressos from my 3 cup Bialetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks OP - I love the idea of a reusable filter, just ordered one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry for jumping in but what grind do you find best for the Aeropress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

This will depend a lot on your method, but for most methods, and steep times from 1:30 to 2:30 mins then a drip grind area works for me!

• Advertisement

As they say, you want it finer than a drip grind, but not as fine as espresso.

If espresso should be as fine as rich potting soil, Aeropress should be as fine as fine, golden sand.

You might hear of a '1 minute' grind or '2 minute' grind - there's quite little in the difference. 2 minute grinds are slightly bigger and seem to expand slightly more during infusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pierre F

As a general rule:
    The finer the grind, the shorter the brewing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Where am I going wrong with the Aeropress I have just purchased or is it a case of "they all do that sir"?

My problem is that, even when the filter is in place the coffee still seeps out through the small rectangular gaps on the circumference of the filter holder. If I place over the cup some will have dripped through before I put the plunger on.
    This seems to somewhat negate the effectiveness of the filter although no grounds end up in the cup.

OK, using the inverted method is better, but when turned right side up the seepage starts. I have to be missing something ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Rosahane wrote: »
    Where am I going wrong with the Aeropress I have just purchased or is it a case of "they all do that sir"?

My problem is that, even when the filter is in place the coffee still seeps out through the small rectangular gaps on the circumference of the filter holder. If I place over the cup some will have dripped through before I put the plunger on.
    This seems to somewhat negate the effectiveness of the filter although no grounds end up in the cup.

OK, using the inverted method is better, but when turned right side up the seepage starts. I have to be missing something ...

OK, figured it out. It wasn't screwing in fully. Must have been a small stub of plastic or something in the Perspex lock channel. I gave it a good twist, snapped past some obstruction and all is good:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

A sad story and a cautionary tale if you are not used to the Able filter or are alternating between paper and Able:

After making the coffee I usually pop the puck, paper filter and all directly into the bin.

I had the Able filter just a few days last year when it disappeared. After blaming the wife and children (naturally), I eventually found it in the bottom of the kitchen bin.

The following day it disappeared again. Only this time I was too late and my Able filter now resides in a landfill somewhere....

So be careful when 'popping your puck'.....old habits die hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Reporting back - I love the Able Disk Coffee Filter, I think the coffee tastes more full-bodied than with the paper filters, and it's nice having one less consumable to buy.
    But like Flyer28, mine's ended up in the brown bin a couple of times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bought an Aeropress earlier today, I have to say it is exactly what I wanted.

Excellent product for only €30 in town (Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Dermighty wrote: »
    Bought an Aeropress earlier today, I have to say it is exactly what I wanted.

Excellent product for only €30 in town (Cork).

Nice one. Where in Cork do they have these? Need to replace my home one and use that for work.

sham2 wrote: »
    Nice one. Where in Cork do they have these? Need to replace my home one and use that for work.

Filter, Georges Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Where in Dublin can I get a replacement Rubber Seal for my Aeropress? Tried Coffee Angel on St Anne Street earlier but it looks closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You could order online at http://coffeeangel.com/product/aeropress-rubber-seal/ and pickup from one of their other stores.
    The St Anne St store is just being renovated at the mo, but I'm sure you could pick it up from one of the stall or from Pembroke St if you arrange pickup online.

PPC wrote: »
    You could order online at http://coffeeangel.com/product/aeropress-rubber-seal/ and pickup from one of their other stores.
    The St Anne St store is just being renovated at the mo, but I'm sure you could pick it up from one of the stall or from Pembroke St if you arrange pickup online.

Thanks. For some reason if you go to their website and click on accessories it doesn't list the rubber seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

nc6000 wrote: »
    Thanks. For some reason if you go to their website and click on accessories it doesn't list the rubber seal.

Yeah you have to goto Accessories and then at the bottom there's an Older Entries button

I might just pop into the Pembroke St branch next time I'm nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

sorry if this has been asked before but I just need some clarification if possible. Ive been using an aeropress for over a month now and its been great, I recently had to get some new beans and when the girl asked what grind I wanted I told her I was using an Aeropress and she proceeded to grind them. The issue is now that the grind is different to what was done previously and the coffee is just not the same. When i am 'popping the puck' so to speak the coffee is not sticking together as much as it was previously, im thinking this may be an indication that the grind is different to before. Can anyone tell me specifically what grind to ask for when I go into get the beans done? Im using the method mentioned previously in the thread if this makes a difference... 1.5min brewing time and 30 secs to 'press'
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Why don't you invest in a hand grinder and then you can experiment with different grinds yourself. Your coffee will be a whole lot nicer too if you brew it within a few mins of grinding it,

Try this...

http://coffeeangel.com/product/hario-mini-mill-hand-grinder/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why don't you invest in a hand grinder and then you can experiment with different grinds yourself. Your coffee will be a whole lot nicer too if you brew it within a few mins of grinding it,

Try this...

http://coffeeangel.com/product/hario-mini-mill-hand-grinder/

its time restraints unfortunately, the aeropress takes no time at all and in work grinding my own beans etc... wouldnt go down well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

its time restraints unfortunately, the aeropress takes no time at all and in work grinding my own beans etc... wouldnt go down well.

Adds about 30 secs to the time taken. 1 min tops.

It's possible your first grind wasn't right. There's also '1 minute' and '2 minute' grinds. If your coffee shop doesn't know how to grind for Aeropress, describe it to them: the grounds should be like sand - halfway between espresso and drip/filter size. Or let them look it up online.

• Advertisement

The issue is now that the grind is different to what was done previously and the coffee is just not the same.
    Thanks

Buy 50g or 100g of fine, medium and coarse ground and see which one works?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

How many scoops of coffee am i suppose to use with the aeropress scoop, all i want is an americano so is that one scoop then topped up with water?

Instructions say two scoops for double shot.. An now my €8 250g coffee hasent last me a week :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I use one level scoop. Works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Great thread - going to take the plunge and go for an aeropress and hario skerton grinder along with able disk and some beans. Bascially the deluxe starter pack here which I only found as someone mentioned them a few posts back.

Had a blade grinder years ago and drip machine and enjoyed messing with coffee, still occasionally an ancient stovetop pot that I got in Italy 12/14 years ago so its seen better days. Looking forward to getting back to basics and learning again.

So any last minute advice before I take the plunge or is it as good as anything to kick off on??

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

How big is the difference in fresh ground coffee than pre ground from a coffee shop ? Is it really noticably different an worth buying a grinder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes, it's much better tasting to grind beans.
    I just ground my first ever beans this morning, not quality beans, Tesco Fairtrade Colombian, OK tasting.............but much tastier than the preground I was using with my Aeropress.
    I'm even drinking it without milk..........I always take a drop of milk but not anymore I reckon.
    It's much different. Believe me.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Yes, it's much better tasting to grind beans.
    I just ground my first ever beans this morning, not quality beans, Tesco Fairtrade Colombian, OK tasting.............but much tastier than the preground I was using with my Aeropress.
    I'm even drinking it without milk..........I always take a drop of milk but not anymore I reckon.
    It's much different. Believe me.

Try a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix it with a blender (you have to mix it with a blender) and you may never use milk again.

Advertisement