Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auditing a class

Options
  • 21-01-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone

There is a class i the college on a subject I am interested in but would be unable to afford the additional tuition for and would not have the time to take the exam to the best of my ability due to my courses workload. I was considering asking the lecturer if it would be okay to audit the class as I believe it sounds interesting and would be useful to my future career.

Has anyone done this before or is there a policy on it? Or would I be best to just quietly blend into the classes and try not get noticed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I've audited classes before.
    You just go to the lectures, but aren't assessed on them. That's it really.
    The module co-ordinators are the ones you contact to see if they don't mind you sitting in on lectures - anytime I've tried it they haven't minded at all. The module information and everything to do with it shows up on Blackboard, so it's like you're doing the module fully but you just don't do the assessment.

However, If the lecturer says you can audit a class, but stuff doesn't show up online, head to your programme office and they can sort it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As beardedmaster has said, contact the module co-ordinator and ask if they mind you attending the class. Most lecturers shouldn't mind, but don't take it personally if they refuse. If possible, call into the lecturer during their office hours and ask personally. It always comes across better than just dropping them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Thanks

I will pop into her office when she is available and ask (I have had her as a lecturer before so hopefully that will help).

Advertisement